Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Cleveland Cavaliers 7:30pm 11/13/2015

Tough loss, but nothing new when you play 3 good quarters and then let Lebron take over in the 4th. Alright, back to watching the horrific news.

Broadway

All Star
We lack talent, poise, and execution. Fisher is nothing desirable, Melo remains what he is a Streaky scorer...our offseason additions(free agents) are becoming less and less relevant.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I love that play call, but pass was no good. Nothing Porzingis could have done. Would have been the play of the year with a good pass.

Man he was so wide open, inexcusable pass. Lance Thomas and Lou are playing more and more while the other guys(O'Quinn, Williams, Seraphin, and Lopez to a degree) are playing less and less.

mafra

Legend
Dellavadova literally could not have generated more contact against Afflalo on that last shot. If the refs were going to decide to let the players decide the game, why wait until this one play to make that decision.

The most critical turn of events happened with about 2:30 left in 4th, with NYK up 4. I believe they just rejected LJ... (Frigid) Melo hoists a 3, the Porz grabs the off rebound and suddenly has a seizure... LJ takes it the other way fir a three point play.

The refs were great all night, but then they left their fingerprints all over the outcome with the inbalanced whistle down the stretch in the fourth quarter.

1- After setting the precedent that they were allowing physical play for 3 quarters... Suddnely, down the stretch, they call two touch calls on Galloway (first one for having his hand on LJ's belly when the King leaped for a jumper; then another phantom call when Mozgov shoved Langston away). When NYK were tettering on opening an somewhat comfy lead, the refs gifted CLE 4 points. I mean, any time Melo has the ball below the elbow a defender has a hand on his hip or chest... Just dont see how Galloway fouled anyone here.

2- There was enough contact to call a foul on the Affalo possession, on LJ as he swatted down on Melo (when they called the travel), then Calderon was manhandled one of those final possessions. Again, given that the refs called those two fouls on Galloway... I cant see how all three of these went unnoticed.

3- Tie game. Melo on the block... Contact... Makes shot. If this is an AND-1... NYK probabaly wins the game. If it is a no call, play on. NYK up 2 and looking good... But, to call a travel? On your star, on his home court? Tough break indeed. It is exactly why I say NYK play 82 road games. That is rarely called... amd that was the turning point of the game.

These are the reasons why it makes it really hard to watch the NBA. Refs influence the outcome so often, amd there is nothing that you can do about it. Final 5 minutes of tonight's game, refs handed CLE 4 points (bailing Cavs out on two would-be scoreless possessions), they took away 2 (or even 3) points from NYK, and then swallowed a whistle on two NYK possessions that couldve given NY 4 points (if they made FTs). Sorry, these are the facts... That is a ten point swing...

But... I really did feel like it was a solid game by the refs. I didnt mind the no-calls on our end... I just felt like, given the way the game was called tonight, it was out of character to whistle Galloway on those two fouls... And, there's no way you can call that travel on Melo. The play before, Della hit a cutting Lebron, who never dribbled as he ran down the lane like a TE scoring from 5 yards out.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
But... Like it is said every night... Officiating is terrible across the board. If you put yourself in the position to be beat by bad calls, that is on you. Knicks havent done much to warrant the benefit of calls... And Melo has never been beloved by refs... He must possess all-time NBA record for most comboned offensive fouls - moving violations in the final 3 minutes of the fourth quarter... It happens every night. Not many star players in this league can boast that much love and attention from the zebras.

When you miss your first ten shots in the fourth quarter, score 31 points in the second half, when you shoot like 3-18 in the final quarter, and your star is outshined by the other team's star... That is why the Knicks lost.

Galloway was awful tonight. Affalo disappeared again in the second half. The second unti did nothing, although Amundson and Williams had some effort points, but overall... Man... That was brutal bball to watch.

Knicks killed themselves with too many touch fouls on penetrators. Either let them score or foul them hard and make sure they do not make the shot.

Finally, Fisher deserves all the heat for this loss:

1- Melo has shown so far... He has 1 good quarter in him each game. So, when Melo is red hot and has 14 points in the first... What is Fisher doing sitting the hot hand? Ride him you moron. When he finally cools... Then sit him. But what is he doing taking him out with 3 minutes left in the quarter?

2- End of first half. Final possession. Can anyone guess what Fisher draws up in the huddle? Iso Melo on the left side. Oh, gooood.

3- Knicks cant score in the fourth... Can the coach call a timeout and discuss something? Call a play... Tell people to move, do something?

It's tough we have to endure these growing pains. Fisher may or may not be a good coach someday... But it makes no sense to re-sign Melo them have a rookie coach learn on the fly? Oh well.

also, it even took MIA time to gel when LJ took his talents to South Beach. That much was obvious for us tonight. Affalo, Melo, Porz, Calderon, Gallo, Lopez... They have no feel for each other, where each other will be, or where they may go, and that shows on the court. Poor spacing... Not many easy buckets bc there is no motion or crisp passing to find an open cutter. This will come as they play together more and get a feel for one another. The next time a NYK guard drives and lofts an alley-oop to a big will be tbe first time it occurs in 2015-2016.

That offense in the fourth was just ugly. They all deserve their share of the blame. Ill advised shots, aimless movement... Carelessness with the rock...

just amazing how Melo could play so good in the first half, then be a total non-factor in the second half. But, he was making passes, rebounding, blocking shots... At least the best player in the world showed him up... Unlike Galloway, who again made Dellabedova look like John Stockton.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Been watching and enjoying the game, but geez fellas, what happened in Paris tonight. Can't stop flipping back to the news.

Crazy world. Islam and Western Europe like oil and water. Although mass shootings more frequent in USA, the most violent incidents (death tolls) occur abroad. I've been in that neighborhhod, where those cafes are... Sad and tragic. Soth and Sarlic. On 11-13-15 too, or 13-11-15 in Europe, although 11 and 13 are both prime numbers... And the fri the 13th factor too.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Same here, one eye on the game, the other one on the news. Talked to a friend in mine who lives in Paris, checked with him if he was ok. Told me he worked a week ago in the Bataclan and last night a couple of friends of his were on the shift. One of them texted and said they were upstairs and the gunners were shooting them one by one.. he couldn't get a hold of him after.. this is just shocking and crazy..

DrB

Benchwarmer
12 points in the FOURTH QUARTER

We lack, talent, poise, and execution. Fisher is nothing desirable, Melo remains what he is a Streaky scorer...our offseason additions(free agents) are becoming less and less relevant.
12 points in the 4th QUARTER...case closed. Fisher must go.

Same here, one eye on the game, the other one on the news. Talked to a friend in mine who lives in Paris, checked with him if he was ok. Told me he worked a week ago in the Bataclan and last night a couple of friends of his were on the shift. One of them texted and said they were upstairs and the gunners were shooting them one by one.. he couldn't get a hold of him after.. this is just shocking and crazy..

What a nightmare.