Some Knicks feel Derek Fisher isn?t up to speed on offense

mafra

Legend
Some Knicks feel Derek Fisher isn?t up to speed on offense

By Marc Berman December 29, 2015 | 8:31am

Knicks coach Derek Fisher got off scot-free Monday after the NBA concluded its investigation into his love-triangle fight with Matt Barnes in Los Angeles.

Now Fisher has to do a better job in fixing the Knicks? triangle offense, which he finally acknowledged is broken after Sunday night?s fourth straight loss.

In an interview Monday with The Post, Charley Rosen, Phil Jackson?s confidant and his former Continental Basketball Association assistant coach, confirmed the Knicks? system offense is lagging under Fisher?s watch, riddled with bad picks, a lack of proper movement, too much dribbling and not enough backdoor cuts.

The question is, whose fault is this? According to a source, there?s a growing sense among some players in the locker room Fisher is viewed more as a ?preacher?? and ?motivator?? than an expert in-game tactician or Xs-and-Os master.

That probably should be expected, considering Fisher has 1 ? seasons of coaching experience on any level. Bucks coach Jason Kidd, now on a medical leave, also is considered to be in the same boat, well behind as a tactician.

According to the source, Fisher?s assistant coaches, including Brian Keefe, Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons, are more versed in the strategic concepts. The source said Carmelo Anthony has come to Fisher recently to lobby for rookie Kristaps Porzingis to be more involved in the offense late in games to take the burden off him. Indeed, Porzingis had plays run for him down the stretch in Boston on Sunday.

?If you run the triangle, you have to make a total commitment to the triangle,?? said Rosen, who writes a technical basketball column for todaysfastbreak.com. ?It?s not like a part-time thing that you just use some of it. If that?s your offense, you got to commit to it. It doesn?t look like they?re really committed to it.

?They?re running it in a half-assed way. It?s not creating the kind of shots it would normally create.??

Rosen is working on an online series detailing the Knicks? season through Jackson?s eyes, to be published on his website after the campaign. Rosen said Jackson is still committed to the triangle.

Asked about Jackson?s mood, with the Knicks at 14-18 and falling into 12th place in the Eastern Conference, four games out of the eighth seed, Rosen said: ?He enjoys wins, doesn?t enjoy the losses. He?s not a good loser.??

Jackson last spoke to the media three days before training camp, his silence growing odder by the week. With the Knicks on the road, Jackson spent Christmas week in New York, with his kids flying into town. Jackson had promised to be more involved with the coaching staff this season, with film work.

Asked if Fisher still is learning on the job and had not mastered teaching basketball Xs and Os, Rosen said: ?I think that?s valid. How much did he learn from coaching a team that won 17 games? What he did do last year was kept them playing hard, a monumental accomplishment.??

Knicks coach Derek Fisher got off scot-free Monday after the NBA concluded its investigation into his love-triangle fight with Matt Barnes in Los Angeles.

Now Fisher has to do a better job in fixing the Knicks? triangle offense, which he finally acknowledged is broken after Sunday night?s fourth straight loss.

In an interview Monday with The Post, Charley Rosen, Phil Jackson?s confidant and his former Continental Basketball Association assistant coach, confirmed the Knicks? system offense is lagging under Fisher?s watch, riddled with bad picks, a lack of proper movement, too much dribbling and not enough backdoor cuts.

ADVERTISING

The question is, whose fault is this? According to a source, there?s a growing sense among some players in the locker room Fisher is viewed more as a ?preacher?? and ?motivator?? than an expert in-game tactician or Xs-and-Os master.

That probably should be expected, considering Fisher has 1 ? seasons of coaching experience on any level. Bucks coach Jason Kidd, now on a medical leave, also is considered to be in the same boat, well behind as a tactician.

According to the source, Fisher?s assistant coaches, including Brian Keefe, Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons, are more versed in the strategic concepts. The source said Carmelo Anthony has come to Fisher recently to lobby for rookie Kristaps Porzingis to be more involved in the offense late in games to take the burden off him. Indeed, Porzingis had plays run for him down the stretch in Boston on Sunday.

?If you run the triangle, you have to make a total commitment to the triangle,?? said Rosen, who writes a technical basketball column for todaysfastbreak.com. ?It?s not like a part-time thing that you just use some of it. If that?s your offense, you got to commit to it. It doesn?t look like they?re really committed to it.

?They?re running it in a half-assed way. It?s not creating the kind of shots it would normally create.??

Rosen is working on an online series detailing the Knicks? season through Jackson?s eyes, to be published on his website after the campaign. Rosen said Jackson is still committed to the triangle.

Asked about Jackson?s mood, with the Knicks at 14-18 and falling into 12th place in the Eastern Conference, four games out of the eighth seed, Rosen said: ?He enjoys wins, doesn?t enjoy the losses. He?s not a good loser.??

Jackson last spoke to the media three days before training camp, his silence growing odder by the week. With the Knicks on the road, Jackson spent Christmas week in New York, with his kids flying into town. Jackson had promised to be more involved with the coaching staff this season, with film work.

Asked if Fisher still is learning on the job and had not mastered teaching basketball Xs and Os, Rosen said: ?I think that?s valid. How much did he learn from coaching a team that won 17 games? What he did do last year was kept them playing hard, a monumental accomplishment.??

Phil Jackson watches a game earlier this season.Photo: Jason Szenes
Fisher wasn?t pleased with the offensive flow Sunday, when the team shot 37 percent. Unsolicited, he said the offense is not being run with enough commitment. Of the loss, Fisher said, in part: ?It was more about our inability to work offensively as a group. We have to find a way to play offense together, and it will make it easier and allow everyone to contribute.??

Because of the stigma developed last season over the triangle, Fisher rarely talks about it with the press.

?I don?t know if he?s not harping on them or they are resistant,?? Rosen said. ?It?s 32 games. They should be running it better, unless Fisher isn?t fully committed to it.

?I see the weak-side picks are awful. They are loose. Nobody?s headhunting or looking for somebody. It?s just very, very loose.??

Rosen, one of the game?s staunchest triangle advocates, had a laundry list of things he doesn?t see happening, including the big men not cutting to the free-throw line where they can help out a wing player with the ball.

Though the Knicks lead the league in post-ups, using Arron Afflalo and Carmelo Anthony, they aren?t getting enough out of them. Rosen said Porzingis, even though he has gotten stronger, isn?t ?holding the space in the low post. He gets pushed out, and it ruins the spacing.?

Center Robin Lopez, according to Rosen, is holding his space in the post, but ?has to relearn his footwork,? saying that has caused a lot of his off-balance shots in the paint.

Finally, Rosen sees too many double-teams on Anthony, which wouldn?t occur if the triangle was crisper.

?It should be difficult for teams to double someone like Melo,?? Rosen said. ?If it?s functioning and Joe Blow is designated to double Melo, Joe Blow should never know where [Joe Blow] will be.??

On Sunday night, Anthony didn?t want to hear about the triangle when told about Fisher?s remarks.

?I don?t know where he?s coming from with that statement,?? Anthony said. ?I?d rather him get in the gym with us and show us what he?s talking about.??

(NY Post)

http://nypost.com/2015/12/29/some-knicks-blame-preacher-derek-fisher-for-offenses-failure/

tiger0330

Legend
Rosen is right the Knicks have been inconsistent with the execution of the triangle offense. In the beginning of the season, Fisher adopted a hybrid system his reasoning being he didn't run an offense for the sake of running an offense but was going to use a pragmatic approach to win games. On that west coast trip there was hardly any ball movement and cutting that even remotely looked like a triangle offense but I commented that the triangle looked revived when they returned home and had 3 days of practice so PJ and DFish may have discussed straying away from it.

Rosen shouldn't bad mouth Fisher though, he tried to run that offense when he coached the Albany Patroons in the CBA and it was a disaster because he said the players didn't have enough time to learn and practice it. I hate the system myself, can't wait until they dump it though I wouldn't put it past PJ to keep it around even if they lose more than 50 games this year.

mafra

Legend
Yeah... I'm certainly no proponent of the triangle system... To me, I don't care what offense you run...
I just demand two things: perpetual motion and constant ball movement.

It's simple really... Basketball shouldn't be about the 1 or 2 man game... Offense should be a
Form of defense... Tire out the opponent by making them work...
Shift ball from side to side until defense breaks down or a gap is exposed...

It's all about spacing and cohesive fluidity... 5 men as 1 mind. Sure, it is wise to exploit weaknesses... Whether that's pounding it into the post, penetrate and kick, working a pick and roll... Whatever.

The telling part to me tho... Melo asking DF to coach and draw up specific plays to involve PORZ in the offense (late game situations)... Clearly... DF is a leader but not a coach.

Broadway

All Star
Rosen is right the Knicks have been inconsistent with the execution of the triangle offense. In the beginning of the season, Fisher adopted a hybrid system his reasoning being he didn't run an offense for the sake of running an offense but was going to use a pragmatic approach to win games. On that west coast trip there was hardly any ball movement and cutting that even remotely looked like a triangle offense but I commented that the triangle looked revived when they returned home and had 3 days of practice so PJ and DFish may have discussed straying away from it.

Rosen shouldn't bad mouth Fisher though, he tried to run that offense when he coached the Albany Patroons in the CBA and it was a disaster because he said the players didn't have enough time to learn and practice it. I hate the system myself, can't wait until they dump it though I wouldn't put it past PJ to keep it around even if they lose more than 50 games this year.

I find it peculiar this article comes out after the losing streak? This dates back quite a while, second half of first yr. I don't like when journalist sit on stuff like this for times of convenience no matter the truth because it lacks integrity.

I think Phil knows he's stuck between a rock and hard place here. If he were to fire Fish and we still lose(more than likely) then what? Phil tried to sneak diss players last yr and then overtly do it after they were long gone but never has he done it to his coach, which wreaks of cowardice behavior. The poor record could possibly be tolerated if we saw signs of growth from within and with what we're doing.

Fisher is pretty bad, but not sure if the scales of justice sit even making him the ESCAPEGOAT here.

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
Yeah... I'm certainly no proponent of the triangle system... To me, I don't care what offense you run...
I just demand two things: perpetual motion and constant ball movement.

It's simple really... Basketball shouldn't be about the 1 or 2 man game... Offense should be a
Form of defense... Tire out the opponent by making them work...
Shift ball from side to side until defense breaks down or a gap is exposed...

It's all about spacing and cohesive fluidity... 5 men as 1 mind. Sure, it is wise to exploit weaknesses... Whether that's pounding it into the post, penetrate and kick, working a pick and roll... Whatever.

The telling part to me tho... Melo asking DF to coach and draw up specific plays to involve PORZ in the offense (late game situations)... Clearly... DF is a leader but not a coach.
As usual you NAILED it.