What the heck is up with Rolo's playing time?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
His offense AND defense is one of the big reasons why the Knicks turned things around in January, but lately his playing time disappeared, not even being in the 4th quarter lately. Anybody have ANY idea what's going on? I'm watching games and after a while I notice this and I'm confused.

tiger0330

Legend
Fisher has yet to prove he can coach. After seeming to have found a formula for the Knicks to win with, 9-10 man rotation, DWill as the 6th man, Rolo down low for 30+ minutes he seems to have abandoned that.

Some good coaches have gotten fired with way better results but as long as his Uncle Phil is around he's safe.

Broadway

All Star
Fisher has yet to prove he can coach. After seeming to have found a formula for the Knicks to win with, 9-10 man rotation, DWill as the 6th man, Rolo down low for 30+ minutes he seems to have abandoned that.

Some good coaches have gotten fired with way better results but as long as his Uncle Phil is around he's safe.

COACH BY FEEL and Rolo tailed off some. Ultimately still falls on Fisher who's not any good. Even when getting praised for making some slight tweaks you can tell he was still scoreboard watching as he is at this very moment. When you never establish a principle or abandon those that show evidence of progression the end results won't be pleasant. Once again who's having a career yr under him besides Lance Thomas?

I think we all agree that Fisher is a placeholder coach. So long as PJ is running the show, we will have a similar situation to how the Oakland A's picked managers under Billy Beane. Since the coach/manager isn't really running the team, you pick a guy who won't make waves when decisions come from the front office on how to run the team. This strategy works fine so long as decisions are coming from someone who knows what they are doing in the front office.

In the Knicks case, is PJ really enough involved from game to game to allow Fisher to continue to be our coach? Probably not. At the same time, I'm not sure I want to go back to the D'Antoni or Woodson days where all we heard about was strife behind the scenes. Fisher is not a good coach, but the team seems to be functional with him as coach. I want this team to get some better players first (i.e. a real NBA starting backcourt) before I start worrying about who is wearing the suit on the bench.