robin_lopez.png
roy_hibbert.png

arron_afflalo.png
jordan_clarkson.png

jose_calderon.png
dangelo_russell.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksLos Angeles Lakers
Arron Afflalo - Strained Right Abdominal Muscle (QUEST)Anthony Brown - Stress reaction, right foot (OUT)
Lance Thomas - Mild Strained Left MCL (OUT)Kobe Bryant - Sore right shoulder (QUEST)
-
Jordan Clarkson - Patella tendon strain (PROB)
-
Larry Nance Jr. - Sore right knee (PROB)
-
Lou Williams - Mild left hamstring strain (OUT)

Game Preview

Coming off a strong performance against LeBron James, Kobe Bryant gets one final crack at another NBA superstar while his former coach looks on.

With Phil Jackson in attendance, Bryant tries to help prevent Carmelo Anthony and the visiting New York Knicks from sweeping a second consecutive season series from his Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night.

In one of the more memorable moments to his final season, Bryant scored 26 points and shot a season-best 11 of 16 in Thursday's 120-108 loss to Cleveland. Though Los Angeles (14-52) failed to match a season-high three-game winning streak, Bryant slightly got the best of James (24 points, 9-of-18 shooting) while scoring his most points in 10 contests.

"It was fun to watch," Lakers coach Byron Scott said. "It seemed like Kobe had a flashback for himself."

The attention now turns to New York (27-40), which looks to bounce back from Friday's 101-94 loss to the Clippers in the same building.

"Bumping Carmelo," said Bryant, who last took the court in back-to-back contests while playing 10 straight Jan. 31-Feb. 24. "He's a bear, man. I'm going to look forward to matching up with him. It's going to be fun."

It's likely also the final chance Jackson, the Knicks president, gets to watch the guy he coached to five NBA titles.

"Obviously I know what they are going to be running," Bryant joked in reference to the Knicks' triangle offense used by interim coach Kurt Rambis, who played for and coached the Lakers.

"I'll probably help Carmelo out and tell him where to go in certain spots on the floor."

Averaging 26.9 points against the Knicks, Bryant missed four straight matchups before scoring 18 and going 2 of 10 from 3-point range in a 99-95 loss at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 8. Anthony scored 24 to help New York to a third consecutive victory in the series.

After that contest, the two friends and Olympic teammates shared a lengthy embrace.

"I told him, I said it's not going to feel the same with him being gone," said Anthony, who more frequently dueled with Bryant while playing his first seven-plus seasons in Denver.

"Him helping me kind of throughout my career, being that guy I can talk to, it's not going to be the same."

Though Jackson and Bryant have had their issues, the two seem to be in a better place. Jackson applauds the way an ailing Bryant has handled playing his final season for a team that won't make the playoffs.

"He's done it gracefully," Jackson said. "I think he's been appreciated by the fans. ... It will be interesting and fun to be here."

With Jackson in Los Angeles, conflicting reports about him possibly returning to the Lakers in some capacity were naturally revisited. Jackson's fiancee Jeanie Buss is part-owner and president of the Lakers.

"The energy I have is directed toward turning (the Knicks) around," said Jackson, whose club is 4-9 since Rambis replaced the fired Derek Fisher.

While Bryant versus Anthony will be the focus of the fans, Jackson and Rambis should be eager to see if rookie Kristaps Porzingis can build on Friday's 23-point effort. The 7-foot-3 Latvian, who averaged 10.8 points in his previous five games, was just 6 of 17 from the field but showed improvement after going 5 for 21 in the previous two contests.

He had 12 points and 10 rebounds against the Lakers.

Taken two picks ahead of Porzingis at No. 2 overall, Lakers rookie D'Angelo Russell had six points at New York but has averaged 23.3 in the last eight games.

(nba.com)

tiger0330

Legend
AA is in the game, Rambis had him coming off the bench so he's not out like my previous post said.

Sasha went 0-2 while he was in.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks take a 46-35 lead at the half. Ice cold Laker shooting where they shot 16% in the 1st is the story of the game.

Knicks are really moving the ball well this game.

Given that Kobe is playing primarily for publicity reasons only, the Lakers are one of the few teams in the league that we have a genuine talent advantage over. Add to that that they should be tanking and we have no reason to tank, no excuse to not win this game.

This game is ugly as sin, but when you have an 11 point lead in the 3rd quarter, a game staying ugly probably means you are going to win.

Good news everybody, according to the Lakers announcer, we apparently have Brook Lopez on our roster. Amazing how we managed to acquire him without any salary cap implications.

Russell just got called for a carry, which is almost impossible to get called for in the NBA, but when you watch the replay, man, was he flagrant about it. Embarrassing.

Two most valuable teams in the NBA, but you could combine the best players from both these rosters and it still wouldn't be even close to a playoff team this year.

Alright, I'm going to bed. I love this team, even when it stinks, but I have work in the morning and this game is about as much fun as a root canal.

mafra

Legend
65-60 NYK as we go to the 4th...
We've all seen this movie before tho...
Just a matter of how (not if).

tiger0330

Legend
Alright, I'm going to bed. I love this team, even when it stinks, but I have work in the morning and this game is about as much fun as a root canal.
You take a backseat to nobody as far as being a true Knicks fan.

Lakers are only down now 65-60 end of the 3rd.

tiger0330

Legend
Breen talking up Grant and his improved shooting just when I said he was going to be a bust with the Knicks not picking up his 3rd yr option in 2017.

I hope he makes me eat my words but shooting is not the only area he needs to improve he can't run a team either.

tiger0330

Legend
htr10 is right this is a game being played by 2 bad teams, ugly bball.

If you saw that Cavs/Clips game this game is a joke. I'm still raw about giving them their starting SG for nothing. JR has had 6 games where he's made 6 3 ptrs, we could use that kind of shooting.

tiger0330

Legend
65-60 NYK as we go to the 4th...
We've all seen this movie before tho...
Just a matter of how (not if).
Williams steals the ball from Rolo and the Bass layup might be the key play putting the Lakers within 1. Laker fans going crazy with the D cheers.