Lottery Drawing 5/17 7PM

tiger0330

Legend
You can watch on ESPN. Knicks had the 7th worst record in the NBA, they have a .043, .049 and .058 chance for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft respectively.

We don't have a pick, Denver has the right to swap picks with the Knicks and the lesser of the picks will go to the Raptors. If the Knicks get lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it they could wind up giving away a top 3 pick to the Nuggets this year. That would blow and all the more reason the Knicks would have been better off making the playoffs this year.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I must admit .. I HATE giving away our first round draft pick in a trade for NON-Defensive player
I also HATE not protecting any of our traded first round pick if its the 10th pick n under

1- 76ers
2- Lakers
3- Nets (Boston)
4- Wolves
5- Pelicans
6- Knicks (Nuggets)
7- Nuggets
8- Kings
9- Bucks
10- Magics

You got me good, Tiger. I just tried putting the lottery on TV and it took me 10 minutes to realize that 5/17 is tomorrow's date. Will the NBA draft ever stop trolling me?

The lottery gods were merciful to us tonight, basically no one moved up, so our lost pick was not any more of a boon to Denver or Toronto than what was expected heading into tonight.

Here are the draft results:
1. Philadelphia
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. Boston (from Brooklyn)
4. Phoenix
5. Minnesota
6. New Orleans
7. Denver (via New York)
8. Sacramento
9. Toronto (from Denver)
10. Milwaukee
11. Orlando
12. Utah
13. Phoenix (from Washington)
14. Chicago

So, long story short, we still end up looking like idiots for giving away what ended up being a #9 pick for Danilo Bargnani, but we were saved from having given away what ended up being a top 3 pick. We only would have actually gotten that #7 pick if we had never made the Melo trade.

Brooklyn continues to get punished for shooting for the moon a couple years ago and now we all get to watch Boston pull further away from the non-Toronto pack in the East by adding a #3 pick that I'm guessing they could very easily trade for a major asset if they so choose.

mafra

Legend
Any hope for a Melo to CLE, Love to BOS, Sullinger and picks to NYK... is dying with every CLE blowout.

tiger0330

Legend
The lottery gods were merciful to us tonight, basically no one moved up, so our lost pick was not any more of a boon to Denver or Toronto than what was expected heading into tonight.

Here are the draft results:
1. Philadelphia
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. Boston (from Brooklyn)
4. Phoenix
5. Minnesota
6. New Orleans
7. Denver (via New York)
8. Sacramento
9. Toronto (from Denver)
10. Milwaukee
11. Orlando
12. Utah
13. Phoenix (from Washington)
14. Chicago

So, long story short, we still end up looking like idiots for giving away what ended up being a #9 pick for Danilo Bargnani, but we were saved from having given away what ended up being a top 3 pick. We only would have actually gotten that #7 pick if we had never made the Melo trade.

Brooklyn continues to get punished for shooting for the moon a couple years ago and now we all get to watch Boston pull further away from the non-Toronto pack in the East by adding a #3 pick that I'm guessing they could very easily trade for a major asset if they so choose.
As a side note to this years lottery. Knicks fans may be interested in who the Nuggets draft this year, I don't think they'll draft a big man since they have Jokic and will probably look to draft a wing for the oft injured Gallo so maybe Jalen Brown or Denzel Valentine. Maybe not so terrible to lose the 7th pick this year since the opinion is there is a big drop off after Simmons and Ingram this year.

paris401

Starter
Maybe not so terrible to lose the 7th pick this year since the opinion is there is a big drop off after Simmons and Ingram this year.

I respectfully disagree.. maybe the 7th pick will turn out to be a dud for Denver... we'll see...but what do we have?? nuthin.. we are sitting on the sidelines with out dick in our hand...

Broadway

All Star
I respectfully disagree.. maybe the 7th pick will turn out to be a dud for Denver... we'll see...but what do we have?? nuthin.. we are sitting on the sidelines with out dick in our hand...

Yeah there are about 3-4 more prospects that can potentially be absolute Phenoms

Buddy Heild...(DUH!)
Brice Johnson....(Usual Suspect)
Kris Dunn...(Good gosh we need him so bad)
Thon Maker...(The x factor of x factors)
Dragon Bender...(Another #kporzee clone)

Denver also has picks 15 and 19...they can present a nice little package and make moves in this draft(upward bound if they choose)

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah there are about 3-4 more prospects that can potentially be absolute Phenoms

Buddy Heild...(DUH!)
Brice Johnson....(Usual Suspect)
Kris Dunn...(Good gosh we need him so bad)
Thon Maker...(The x factor of x factors)
Dragon Bender...(Another #kporzee clone)

Denver also has picks 15 and 19...they can present a nice little package and make moves in this draft(upward bound if they choose)
Hield, Bender and Dunn will be gone before Denver picks. They're loaded with centers and a young PG that they need to play, I see them going for a wing this draft. You really think this draft is going to be as good as last years?

Broadway

All Star
Hield, Bender and Dunn will be gone before Denver picks. They're loaded with centers and a young PG that they need to play, I see them going for a wing this draft. You really think this draft is going to be as good as last years?

Yeah Tig the same thing was said around this time of last yr's draft. As we saw the 2015 draft produced really good talent. Matter of fact it's said almost every yr by Knick fans primarily because we're rarely in a position to pick high.

2016 is going to be a good draft. While those players could potentially be gone(not a given), it doesn't nullify the fact those guys are potential Top Tier talent. There's probably 3 players who still could be in play for Denver just based on needs and fit with above draft position.

Matter of fact Denver could trade their 7th, Gallo(Boston likes him a lot and Faried) for 3 and someone like Olynyk/parts

If they stay put at 7 guess what they'll probably experience same as last yr...Denver picked 7th last yr and got Mudiay(but could have had Turner/Booker/Winslow/Johnson). That's how it works when you keep your picks and they position high in the lottery.

Last edited:
I get why everyone is talking about how Denver will benefit, but in case I'm mistaken, all we did was help Denver move from 9 to 7. It's Toronto, a team that is playing in the ECF, that we gifted a 9 pick to. If Denver gets a star at 7, good for them. If Toronto gets a star at 9, then it's a huge screw you to us, but whatever, it's done.

We as a franchise need to just move forward to days when we play lottery team ball, we actually get our own lottery pick.

Broadway

All Star
He's a project according to Woj.

For starters since we opened this discussion today...Thon Maker has already moved up 6 spots on NBADraft.net from like 34th to 28th. Funny Out Loud

That Woj report wreaks of a classic case of GMs getting their misdirection game on. Woj is not a scout and I'm not sure he's ever been present at any player's workout processes leading up to the draft. Jonathan Givony who now is a major contributor towards Woj's flagship TheVertical on Yahoo said in March that Ben Simmons is not the #1 pick in the draft....yet all early signs from Philly say they aren't passing on him. I have no idea who they will pick at this point but it will probably be Simmons going #1. Don't take these guys too seriously yet, with that said...

If we take what Woj said as fact everything I said still rings true since the kid is only 19. He could get passed on(I conceded the risk factor here) but by the time he's 22 they could very well say why did we pass on him.

Woj also says Dunn's camp is keeping medical records away from teams and doesn't want to go to a team with established point guards. If that is true everything I stated still stands as in someone with premium talent falls a little further than they should because of needs and fits(both sides leveraging) Teams and Agents. Remember Porzingis didn't work out for Philly? Remember DeAndre Jordan got passed on after a hom-hum finish at Texas A&M?

In the meantime...

Worked out with Ingram as you see him in the background and he's noticeably taller than Ingram

Keep in mind once again you have talents such as Valentine, Bentyl, Gary Payton II, Prince, Brown, Richardson, Murray...adding to the depth of this draft. Unfortunately we won't be participating unless Phil does the unthinkable.

Broadway

All Star
CiqRXdJW0AI0bUF.jpg:large

Broadway

All Star
I'm not saying that quote isn't true, but in that link, that quote is literally attributed to 'Anonymous Longtime NBA Scout'. It's kind of hilarious.

It definitely could be a hater, or a team that may have strong interest thinking and hoping he'll be better day 1. Hence that's why I said you can't take too strongly to reports right now maybe a few days before the draft. I like to build trails along the way nevertheless.

It definitely could be a hater, or a team that may have strong interest thinking and hoping he'll be better day 1. Hence that's why I said you can't take too strongly to reports right now maybe a few days before the draft. I like to build trails along the way nevertheless.

I get that the one scout said Bender is better at 18 than Porzingis was at 18, but searching Bender on the internet and comparing them strictly at their stage entering the draft:
- Bender is over a year younger than Porzingis was at last year's draft
- Porzingis is a legit 7'3", maybe even 7'4", Bender seems to be listed as either 7'1" or 7'0.5" (both have skinny frames)
- A couple sites I read say Bender is not as good a shooter right now as Porzingis was when he entered last year's draft

As far as I know, Bender may come into the league and dominate, but if there were concerns Porzingis could be a rotation player in the NBA his rookie season, I'd guess there'd be even bigger concerns for Bender. If he is then being viewed as a draft and develop off the NBA court kind of rookie, I'm not sure which of the top picking teams would be the first to want to do that.