Derrick Rose to the KNIcKs????

tiger0330

Legend
CllCStaWMAAgyOh.jpg:small

tiger0330

Legend
One year try and buy. Returns to All-Star form and the Knicks make it to the second round you pay him, gets injured and plays 40 games or has an up and down season like last year you let him go and have 21M more in cap space next year. Bold move by PJ and on balance I like it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Good trade...look, no one thinks we just landed the 2010 Derrick Rose, but he's a significant upgrade

Now I've seen some people post that this was a move by Chicago to dump him because of injuries but are upset that we cut Wrotten, when Philly waived (not traded) Wrotten for the same reason!

My point is...why not the same level of optimism for Rose as we had for Wrotten?

This can't stand as our lone marquee acquisition, but it's a big move.

Losing Grant worries me. But he's a project and was not going help us draw FA talent.

Other concern is the whole at Center/PF and SG

30 million isn't enough to cover both of those needs and we are fresh out of assets

But what were our options if we didn't trade for Rose?

Conley isn't leaving Memphis

Rondo is equally risky (if not more) than Rose

Jeremy Lin? Really!?

mafra

Legend
Look, I thought the deal for Calderon was a halfway decent move... we dumped fatty Felton & got a young PG with JC and 2 picks. That blew up bc Calderon stunk, the kid from MiA was a bust and picks missed.

Same could happened here. Maybe JG is good, maybe not. But, with Rose now... We are free to spend all our cap space on best players we can sign, not need. We don't have to overpay for Rondo or Conley.

And... We won't have 8 mil wasting away in Calderon. We saw what JC and JG and RL got us... Nowhere. Now we have Rose next year at the same price... Still work to be done. This isn't a Hr... But with AA opting out and now this trade... We are moving in the right direction for this season.

Of course, Rose might be done and JG is a stud... There's always risks.

In summary:
- We gave up no draft picks
- We gave up Robin Lopez, who I really liked this last season, but he gave us only 10 points, 7 boards, and 1.5 blocks per game and he is making 13 to 14 million per season the next 3 years
- We gave up Jerian Grant, who excited some people in the last few games of last season, but his future is yet to be determined in this league
- We dumped Jose Calderon
- We got Derrick Rose, who even if he bombs out with us this coming season would be nothing worse than a 21 million dollar expiring contract

I'd say wait and see what we do now with that 30 million in cap space. This deal could work out great for us or it could turn out bad, but even if it turns out bad, we still have the potential to keep a lot of financial flexibility.

Broadway

All Star
what... we haven't given it up yet???

shockingly we managed to garner a 2017 2nd rounder from Bulls...otherwise there's not much here. So Phil didn't really like Mudiay but he likes Derrick Rose who's a walking shoulder check on the streets of New York from being a parapalegic?

ELOHEL

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Cmon Broadway are you worried you won't have enough piss and vinegar for DRose and Melo???? I love the trade. We now have a legit NBA PG, not two washed up euro-vets, a rookie, and a D-leaguer. Nobody is expecting the MVP DRose, but I watched enough Bullies games see DRose is back except for finishing above the rim. The quickness and explosiveness is back on both ends of the court. No more getting dominated in the backcourt. And this trade shows PJAx is scrapping his broken triangle and stepping into 2017. I wanted Mudiay as well but now we have KP AND a legit PG on chief:)

tiger0330

Legend
Ik
Cmon Broadway are you worried you won't have enough piss and vinegar for DRose and Melo???? I love the trade. We now have a legit NBA PG, not two washed up euro-vets, a rookie, and a D-leaguer. Nobody is expecting the MVP DRose, but I watched enough Bullies games see DRose is back except for finishing above the rim. The quickness and explosiveness is back on both ends of the court. No more getting dominated in the backcourt. And this trade shows PJAx is scrapping his broken triangle and stepping into 2017. I wanted Mudiay as well but now we have KP AND a legit PG on chief:)
I like the trade as well, PJ made the back court better and didn't even dip into the cap space to do it. It's not a long term deal either, Rose is a one year rental but we'll have his bird rights to outbid anyone if he does well next year. I think most would say the Knicks won this trade getting Rose for Lopez alone outside of considering the other pieces.

Looks like Wroten just wasn't progressing otherwise why cut him, we had roster spots and he was on a small contract.

I got a feeling PJ makes Pau his big man target this off-season. Any thoughts on him Chief? How much does he have left in the tank.

Broadway

All Star

There's only 1 basketball and if #kporzee is what we hope he can be Rose will be a distraction/stunt/buffer towards his growth. We're trying to add more players, once again just 1 basketball.

Rose is not what he used to be and he's not a POINT GUARD. If Rose is what he's being sold to New York to be the Bulls wouldn't have traded him for that package. The Bulls missed the playoffs with him(his most recent healthy season) and they had a better roster than us. They won without him a lot too. Come on think.

The trade was unnecessary and premature almost in the vein of trading for Bargnani except it won't cost us as much.

Ik
I like the trade as well, PJ made the back court better and didn't even dip into the cap space to do it. It's not a long term deal either, Rose is a one year rental but we'll have his bird rights to outbid anyone if he does well next year. I think most would say the Knicks won this trade getting Rose for Lopez alone outside of considering the other pieces.

Looks like Wroten just wasn't progressing otherwise why cut him, we had roster spots and he was on a small contract.

I got a feeling PJ makes Pau his big man target this off-season. Any thoughts on him Chief? How much does he have left in the tank.

Pau Gasol played over 30 minutes per game and over 70 games last season averaging 16 points, 11 boards, and 2 blocks per game. All better numbers than Lopez. Gasol also averaged 4 assists per game last season.

If we went from having Robin Lopez/Jerian Grant to Pau Gasol/Derrick Rose in our starting lineup, you'd be hard-pressed to argue we didn't make a huge upgrade. Real world problem is that what we actually would have done is add a 35-year-old big man and a super injury prone guard to the mix.

Broadway

All Star
Pau Gasol played over 30 minutes per game and over 70 games last season averaging 16 points, 11 boards, and 2 blocks per game. All better numbers than Lopez. Gasol also averaged 4 assists per game last season.

If we went from having Robin Lopez/Jerian Grant to Pau Gasol/Derrick Rose in our starting lineup, you'd be hard-pressed to argue we didn't make a huge upgrade. Real world problem is that what we actually would have done is add a 35-year-old big man and a super injury prone guard to the mix.

Not that it makes a lot of sense but the Bulls probably looked at acquiring Calderon as a perk to resign Gasol another yr or two because they have kinship(spainards).

jimkcchief88

All Star
Tig, I agree that PJAx will go after Pau. And to be honest I'm cool with that. I was never a huge Pau guy when he was with the Lakers, but Pau impressed me this year with the Bullies. He can still shoot all the way out to 3 point line and can still throw a block party on the defensive end. And Pau would be a great mentor for KP as well. I think Thibbs will go hard after Noah and hopefully Pau falls to us. Assuming Pau can stay healthy I think he has a little more tread on the tires

jimkcchief88

All Star
There's only 1 basketball and if #kporzee is what we hope he can be Rose will be a distraction/stunt/buffer towards his growth. We're trying to add more players, once again just 1 basketball.

Rose is not what he used to be and he's not a POINT GUARD. If Rose is what he's being sold to New York to be the Bulls wouldn't have traded him for that package. The Bulls missed the playoffs with him(his most recent healthy season) and they had a better roster than us. They won without him a lot too. Come on think.

The trade was unnecessary and premature almost in the vein of trading for Bargnani except it won't cost us as much.

DRose is a lot more PG than you think and can still break down opposition defenses. And we didn't give up a lottery pick so don't bring up the bargs debalcle because it doesn't apply here as we acquired a second rounder. And if you don't think DRose isn't going to show up in a contract year you are nuts

tiger0330

Legend

On the bright side, PJ is not signing Pau for max money or for 4 years. If he comes to NY, it'll be for no more than a 3 yr 60M deal 3d yr team option IMO.

I'd have the medical staff go over DRose with a microscope. Bust the trade like DET did with DMo if he's not 100% healthy, he's only in the mix for a year. Maybe the guys we pickup with the 30M can be foundation pieces if DRose doesn't work out, and don't forget next year we can reload again if the Knicks opt to not pursue DRose in FA.

mafra

Legend
I think we target Durant... After that, DeRozan & Paul (or Noah)...

Best news is we get a player fighting for his next contract... And, some people here didn't like the Lopez signing, so at least we get out from under that deal.

Also, so good this happened now... Bc if it'll influence free agents... Well, it's out there now.

Rose is instantly the best guard we've had since Spree... Even if he's only playing at the level he played at last year.

He's been a winner, for the most part, and a competition.... Up to coach and Jax to get something out of him.

mafra

Legend
Even a fallback option of Gordon, Horford (or Jefferson) plus bench pieces (like Williams and a shooter).

Also, NYK now have an extra 15 mil in cap space next year when Westbrook is a free agent (and Paul).

New New York

Quiet Storm
Is Mike Conley that much better an option?

I honesty think Conley is equal to this less explosive version of D Rose. He's not the shooter Conley is, but Conley doesn't have the speed or athleticism of even this oft injured Rose.

No longer belongs in the category of superstar/franchise PG's(Curry,Kyrie,Paul,Lillard) but I think he's belongs with the All Star caliber PG's (Lowry,Conley,Isiah Thomas,Dragic, Teague). I think too much is being focused on what we are not getting (MVP player) and not appreciating the upgrade we did get! more needs to be done, but again great start to the summer

Broadway

All Star
Is Mike Conley that much better an option?

I honesty think Conley is equal to this less explosive version of D Rose. He's not the shooter Conley is, but Conley doesn't have the speed or athleticism of even this oft injured Rose.

No longer belongs in the category of superstar/franchise PG's(Curry,Kyrie,Paul,Lillard) but I think he's belongs with the All Star caliber PG's (Lowry,Conley,Isiah Thomas,Dragic, Teague). I think too much is being focused on what we are not getting (MVP player) and not appreciating the upgrade we did get! more needs to be done, but again great start to the summer

Had Mike Conley been signed to a Max Contract what would have been your narrative?