joakim_noah.png
robin_lopez.png

courtney_lee.png
dwyane_wade.png

derrick_rose.png
rajon_rondo.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksChicago Bulls
No injuries to reportMichael Carter-Williams - Left knee bone bruise and left wrist sprain (OUT)
-Doug McDermott - Concussion protocol (DOUBT)

Game Preview

CHICAGO -- For much of the young season, the Chicago Bulls haven't had trouble keeping defensive pressure on opposing teams.

The constant pressure, coupled with a blend of balanced scoring and an up-tempo style of play, led to a flawless start and three straight wins. But when the Bulls surrendered 36 first-quarter points in a 107-100 loss to the Boston Celtics Wednesday night, it resulted in an uphill climb the Bulls couldn't manage to finish.

"We could just never quite get over the hump," coach Fred Hoiberg told reporters after the Bulls dropped their first loss of the season.

The Bulls hope to solve their defensive lapses Friday when they host the New York Knicks at the United Center. The Knicks have experienced defensive issues of their own of late, which have mounted in New York dropping three of its first four games.

The Knicks sustained their second straight double-digit loss Wednesday in a 118-99 drubbing at the hands of the Houston Rockets. Already struggling to establish offensive rhythm under first-year coach Jeff Hornacek, the Knicks' defensive struggles have been even more alarming.

In each of its first four games, New York has allowed no fewer than 102 points, which has been a problem and could pose one against the Bulls, who have twice scored 118 points and have found plenty of production not only from its starting lineup headlined by Jimmy Butler, Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo, but from its bench.

New Knicks guard Derrick Rose -- who will make his return to Chicago along with former Bulls teammate Joakim Noah Friday -- told reporters after the loss to Houston that things had to change if the Knicks hope to reverse their course.

"It's nothing but defense," Rose said Wednesday night. "If we don't come out and play defense, we're going to keep getting smacked like this."

The frustrations are apparent with Rose, who was part of some Chicago teams during his tenure with the Bulls that thrived on keeping plenty of pressure on opposing teams. So now that he's on the opposite end of the spectrum with the Knicks, Rose understands what is at the core of New York's problems.

"I've been on teams where we're building a culture here -- we're trying to bring a defensive culture here," Rose told reporters. "Trying to make something last and establish something. It takes time."

While Chicago has its share of new faces and is still experimenting to get the on-floor chemistry right, Hoiberg is hoping that Wednesday night's defensive struggles against the Celtics can be fixed.

Among the Bulls' biggest issues was defending the perimeter as the Celtics were able to find their range behind the 3-point arc and connected on 14 of their 32 attempts.

Hoiberg liked the way his team battled back from a pair of double-digit deficits to tie the game at 100 in the closing minutes, he lamented the fact that the Bulls simply didn't do enough defensively to keep themselves in the game.

"We weren't contesting shots," Hoiberg told reporters. "We had a guy there, he was two or three steps behind as opposed to getting (shooters) into a long two or force them into the help (defense) where they'd have to make another pass.

"I just thought we gave them too many dare shots."

(cbssports.com)

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
this could be a nice bounce back game for us. let's see if our guys respond to the call for more aggressive defense. let's see if we can get KP more involved early in the game. what i don't want to see is triangle.
maybe RoLo wants revenge for being traded? then again, maybe he's grateful :)
either way... let's get it!

nice thread, btw

tiger0330

Legend
We can't score and we can't defend and until we do one or the other at a high level we'll continue losing more games. Knicks are ranked 25 in the NBA in points allowed and an even worse 27th in points scored resulting in a point differential of -13.5, 2nd worst in the league only beating out the 76'ers. Chicago is the perfect place for the Knicks to turn this around with DRose and Noah returning to Chicago for the first time since leaving the Windy City, looking for those 2 to have good games to show the Bulls they made a mistake getting rid of them.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
this could be a nice bounce back game for us. let's see if our guys respond to the call for more aggressive defense. let's see if we can get KP more involved early in the game. what i don't want to see is triangle.
maybe RoLo wants revenge for being traded? then again, maybe he's grateful :)
either way... let's get it!

nice thread, btw
What I don't want to see is lack of motivation. When I was watching the Houston game I couldn't help myself, but to get the impression that the guys looked hopeless and completely exhausted... three games into the season. Anyway, I think I'll call it an early night, I can choose between the live coverage or the "summary" at 8AM (which is basically the full game, but without time-outs, half-time and commercial breaks) and I think I'm gonna choose for the latter.
Oh, yeah, and...
:gony:

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanx Rady ...for the Game Thread n game-notes ...Chicago are going to make example of Knicks in United Center if coach Jeff Horn rotation performs the same way it did against Pistons/ROX ...sorry games

I haven't watched any of the Bulls games .. so can someone explain how the bulls are winning - doesn't their lack of 3pt shooting suppose to be old-balling? We dont have to worry bout Rondo n Wade taking 3s ...oops Wade changed his ball-game to shooting a couple of 3s a game

The Bulls rotation has great ball movement, Butler and Wade shooting over 50% from 3 right now (have to assume that won't last), they are super deep, RoLo and Taj Gibson are active big men playing great right now, Mirotic and McDermott are stretch 3/4s for them and create space inside for Butler/Wade/Rondo to operate, again really great ball movement, they're a fun team to watch, Wade seems highly motivated to prove Riley wrong. They look good. They're so deep that they have Bobby Portis and Denzel Valentine (aka the all-Briggs team) on the bench getting like 3min a game.

and1

Rotation player
^ i haven't watched any bulls games either, so i don't know what they're doing.
jalen rose on espn just referred to the knicks' offensive system as the bermuda triangle :)
ohhhhh man i hope we look better tonight.

tiger0330

Legend
^ i haven't watched any bulls games either, so i don't know what they're doing.
jalen rose on espn just referred to the knicks' offensive system as the bermuda triangle :)
ohhhhh man i hope we look better tonight.
Him and Chauncey are haters. Can't blame them the Knicks have been terrible, DRose has been overrated as well withe dribble penetration but he has a 47TS% and less than 3apg. Melo and Zinger look slow, the Knicks are playing sloppy and I don't see enough hustle or defense. There's a lot of work to do but they don't look like a team that supposedly had a talent infusion this offseason.

and1

Rotation player
'Mo's already got 3 fouls, but they're good fouls, not letting them finish

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Just tuned in, missed the first quarter but we're looking good so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, Wade has already surpassed the number of three pointers from the entire last season..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and1

Rotation player
and now our whack defense is rearing its ugly head
KP better stay up on mirotic and not leave him open, watching that is making me nerrrrrrrrrrvous

tiger0330

Legend
and now our whack defense is rearing its ugly head
KP better stay up on mirotic and not leave him open, watching that is making me nerrrrrrrrrrvous
He's looked slow against Ryno yesterday and Mirotic, forget him covering wings. I wasn't confident the Knicks could keep that big lead and Chicago takes the lead.

tiger0330

Legend
Good analysis by Hubie, I love him and Breen as a team. Hubie commented that Zinger over commits on his man and doesn't stay in front of his man giving his cover a step inside to make a bucket.