Official Free Agency Thread

From what I've heard, the plan is either to trade Lee or have Lee play SF (replacing Melo).

For better or for worse, I think the 2 guard and wing positions are going to bleed together on this roster. If Lee is not traded away, I think we're going to see both Lee and THJ play the wing since the only true SF currently on our roster is Lance Thomas. It will all depend who else is on the court. Just like Ntilkina may play the 2 guard if he is on the court with Baker or vice versa.

mafra

Legend
Derrick Rose has agreed to join the Cavaliers according to Shams Charania of The Vertical.

He completed his physical exam on Monday and is expected to sign a one-year, $2.1 million minimum deal. This will give him a chance to compete for a title next to LeBron James and build his market value back up for the Summer of 2018. Assuming the Cavaliers meet Kyrie Irving's trade request, Rose will have a shot to start at PG on opening night unless they bring in a rumored target such as Eric Bledsoe. Despite averaging 18.0 points and 4.4 assists last season, his fantasy appeal is low due to a lack of 3-pointers and steals.

Getting closer to a Kyrie exit... Would be funny if it happened, but BOS-CLE probably works as ideal trade partners (although PHO could offer a comparable package too... Bledsoe and Josh Jax).

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
If I'm CLE I hold onto Kyrie until at least the trade deadline next year. Guys that signed deals this off-season will be eligible for trades including the rookies. Might be able to pick up one those PGs like Ball, Fox, Holiday etc that you can't sign now.

Broadway

All Star
If I'm CLE I hold onto Kyrie until at least the trade deadline next year. Guys that signed deals this off-season will be eligible for trades including the rookies. Might be able to pick up one those PGs like Ball, Fox, Holiday etc that you can't sign now.

I think with the Rose signing and the escalation of Kyrie and Lebron falling out of bromance they may need to act a little sooner. Kyrie's value will never be higher than it is now. Is it going to get better with he and Rose in the backcourt? Seriously doubt it especially since Kyrie wants to be the maestro of his own orchestra

Rumors that even the Celtics checked in to stay in the loop. Kings have already responded they aren't trading Fox and since it's heavily rumored Lebron is headed to L.A., don't see the Lakers making a move for him. Some teams want to keep their options open to for Lebron/George/CP3/Thomas/Cousins/Aldridge maybe even Westbrook(unless he signs his extension)

Who knows maybe this new GM will try to massage the situation but sometimes when it hits the fan there's not much one can do. I say the latest Kyrie can last in Cleveland is to the end of the calendar yr, not after this

It's interesting. On the surface, Kyrie seems to have elite value for the Cavs in a trade, especially given he is only 25-years-old. I don't wonder, however, if teams will now start to really pick apart Kyrie's career so far.

This website that covers the Miami Heat has a really interesting article about why Miami should pause before pursuing Kyrie:
http://slicemiami.com/2017/07/22/kyrie-irving-miami-heat/

Some choice excerpts include:
- using advanced metrics to show that Kyrie is a truly horrendous defensive player (ranked 478 out of 486 players in the advanced metric Defensive Points Saved)
- players shot more than 5 percent better than their average FG percentage when guarded by Kyrie and more than 9 percent better when within 10 feet of the hoop
- when Kyrie played and Lebron sat last season, the Cavs were outscored by 8 points per every 100 possessions
- in the 16 games that Lebron missed and Kyrie played, the Cavs were 3 - 13

I mean, is this a guy savvy teams like Miami or San Antonio will gut themselves to get? The more I think about it, the more I really hope we don't do it.

mafra

Legend
It's interesting. On the surface, Kyrie seems to have elite value for the Cavs in a trade, especially given he is only 25-years-old. I don't wonder, however, if teams will now start to really pick apart Kyrie's career so far.

This website that covers the Miami Heat has a really interesting article about why Miami should pause before pursuing Kyrie:
http://slicemiami.com/2017/07/22/kyrie-irving-miami-heat/

Some choice excerpts include:
- using advanced metrics to show that Kyrie is a truly horrendous defensive player (ranked 478 out of 486 players in the advanced metric Defensive Points Saved)
- players shot more than 5 percent better than their average FG percentage when guarded by Kyrie and more than 9 percent better when within 10 feet of the hoop
- when Kyrie played and Lebron sat last season, the Cavs were outscored by 8 points per every 100 possessions
- in the 16 games that Lebron missed and Kyrie played, the Cavs were 3 - 13

I mean, is this a guy savvy teams like Miami or San Antonio will gut themselves to get? The more I think about it, the more I really hope we don't do it.

There was another article that broke down how awful CLe (and Kyrie were) in the Finals without LJ on the court.... pathetic numbers. When defense didn't have to worry about LJ....

It all really boils down to how reasonable or unreasonable CLe's demands are. I read how they covet an elite package (of 2 really good young players).

What team is going to be surrender this, without guarantee from Irving he'll sign an extension?

Would PHO surrender Bledsoe and Jax? Would BOs surrender IT and Brown?

I think best trade would probably not happen until December.... with Teague, Avery and draft picks going to CLE....

Then there's the LJ factor..... is Lebron pushing for a trade to happen ASAP? Does he want "his guys" there in CLE to help him? If so, will Lebron guarantee CLE he'll stay 2 years instead of 1 remaining?

Lebron leaked this story, and we all know LJ wants the world to know he can win a title in CLE without Kyrie.... as if to downplay Irving's role in obtaining the first title....

I think Lebron is hoping he can turn Irving into Rose, Bledsoe, and Melo.
When it Becomes clear he won't get Melo, what's his plan-B? Then, does this involve Love too?

CLE had deal in place to flip Love to DEN, Gary Harris to indy, George to CLe.... would CLE send Irving the DEN for Mudiay, Harris, Faired and draft pick?

According to Cavs assistant GM

I don't believe Suns would do this at least not at the onset but if true it only means other offers for Kyrie(those team who really have strong interest in him) have to be pretty strong.

For the record Isola says Cavs are disinterested in Melo + 2 picks for Melo, which seems correct at present.

Great news. Instead of giving up Ntilikina plus multiple 1st round picks for a player who plays Jose Calderon-level defense, let's focus on getting assets by trading Melo to Houston. Seriously Morey, just give us Capela and let's all move on with our lives.

mafra

Legend
Great news. Instead of giving up Ntilikina plus multiple 1st round picks for a player who plays Jose Calderon-level defense, let's focus on getting assets by trading Melo to Houston. Seriously Morey, just give us Capela and let's all move on with our lives.

I'm with you.... to build around KP, WHG, THJr, & Ntikilina we simply need to let things ola their course.

- Don't deal assets yet.
- Develop the kids
- Accumulate pieces
- Clear cap space for 2019 and beyond

Just let the kids start, run and get some burn together. 2 years of taking their lumps with help build these players into a team. Then, along with pieces gathered and 2 more lottery picks, the kids have shown enough potential.... on verge of taking next step.... this is when you assess your assets.... attract a big free agent and then make a trade to drive home that final nail.

NYK not 1 or 2 pieces away.... so why bother? Trade Melo, find a partner for Lee at some point this season, then just wait and sign Kyrie in 2 years. This way, you add a 27 yr-old Irving to this roster, instead of subtracting 2-3 parts now for a 25 yr-old Kyrie.

Broadway

All Star
I'm with you.... to build around KP, WHG, THJr, & Ntikilina we simply need to let things ola their course.

- Don't deal assets yet.
- Develop the kids
- Accumulate pieces
- Clear cap space for 2019 and beyond

Just let the kids start, run and get some burn together. 2 years of taking their lumps with help build these players into a team. Then, along with pieces gathered and 2 more lottery picks, the kids have shown enough potential.... on verge of taking next step.... this is when you assess your assets.... attract a big free agent and then make a trade to drive home that final nail.

NYK not 1 or 2 pieces away.... so why bother? Trade Melo, find a partner for Lee at some point this season, then just wait and sign Kyrie in 2 years. This way, you add a 27 yr-old Irving to this roster, instead of subtracting 2-3 parts now for a 25 yr-old Kyrie.

I can't figure out why Courtney Lee hasn't been traded yet. I have to believe we can get a couple 2nd rounders for him. Pretty obvious he doesn't fit. I get that his salary isn't the greatest but at the same time it's not terrible.

mafra

Legend
I can't figure out why Courtney Lee hasn't been traded yet. I have to believe we can get a couple 2nd rounders for him. Pretty obvious he doesn't fit. I get that his salary isn't the greatest but at the same time it's not terrible.

Maybe they want to keep a vet around, or mayBe bc free agents saturated the market know they don't feel they can get something of value now in return?

Sounded like they had something worked out earlier this summer.....

I think by trade deadline he's dealt. Hopefully he's playing well and we get a pick for him.

Broadway

All Star
Longstaff got signed as a head coach for the Hawks G-League team

lol they're getting a head start on plotting. Interesting he didn't stay unemployed for long

tiger0330

Legend
Pau Gasoline signs 3/38 deal! Woah.... 37 yr-old just got 38 mil from SA!
I think it was 48M, Gasol was going to take less so they could sign FA's but they got Gay with the MLE and didn't sign Simmons so they had cap space when they did that so they gave it to Pau.

Sort of like what happened to Wes Matthews when DJ wound up signing with the Clips again, they gave some of the money for DJ to Wes in the form of a bigger contract than he originally signed for.

mafra

Legend
I think it was 48M, Gasol was going to take less so they could sign FA's but they got Gay with the MLE and didn't sign Simmons so they had cap space when they did that so they gave it to Pau.

Sort of like what happened to Wes Matthews when DJ wound up signing with the Clips again, they gave some of the money for DJ to Wes in the form of a bigger contract than he originally signed for.

That's right. It is 48.... suddenly 71 mil for THJr doesn't look so bad. Of course, it's SA and Gasol was a solid player for years.... so media will ignore 12 ppg and fact he mostly came off the bench.

Broadway

All Star
That's right. It is 48.... suddenly 71 mil for THJr doesn't look so bad. Of course, it's SA and Gasol was a solid player for years.... so media will ignore 12 ppg and fact he mostly came off the bench.

THJR contract is still bad it's richer and a yr longer fully guaranteed. Pau's final yr is a partial guarantee. I don't like Pau's deal but Spurs don't have major cap issues going forward(we do) and they'll probably dump L.A. at some point and more importantly they are a good basketball team(we're not). Every GM practically said THJR deal is down right awful, which means it's virtually unmovable.

mafra

Legend
THJR contract is still bad it's richer and a yr longer fully guaranteed. Pau's final yr is a partial guarantee. I don't like Pau's deal but Spurs don't have major cap issues going forward(we do) and they'll probably dump L.A. at some point and more importantly they are a good basketball team(we're not). Every GM practically said THJR deal is down right awful, which means it's virtually unmovable.

Allen Crabbe signed a 4 year / $74,832,500 contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, including $74,832,500 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $18,708,125. In 2017-18, Crabbe will earn a base salary of $19,332,500, while carrying a cap hit of $19,332,500 and a dead cap value of $56,332,500.

If this contract was moved.... I'm sure a halfway decent GM can find a taker for THJr.... one would think.

Now, if Timmy comes out and averages 23 points a game and looks like a decent and willing defender.... well, he might even look like a decent asset.

tiger0330

Legend
Horrible use of the cap space by Mills. Blowing it on two guys that didn't deserve that kind of money. Timmy better play like an all-star like he's been talking about.

mafra

Legend
Allen Crabbe - G/F - Nets
Allen Crabbe has been traded to the Nets for Andrew Nicholson.
The Nets have had a clear interest in Crabbe for a while now, and now they'll finally get their man after trying to steal him away from Portland as a restricted free agent last summer with a four-year deal worth $75 million. Crabbe will have a good chance to start with the Nets next season, and he'll look to improve upon his numbers from his 2016-17 campaign in which he produced averages of 10.7 points and 1.7 triples per game on 46.8 percent shooting. He's lights out from beyond the arc, but unless he can improve on the defensive stats, he won't be much more than a late-round guy.
Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter Jul 25 - 2:41 PM

-----

Apparently, Nets upset NY signed a bad contract and wanted to best it?

I'd take THJr over Crabbe.

Broadway

All Star
Allen Crabbe signed a 4 year / $74,832,500 contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, including $74,832,500 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $18,708,125. In 2017-18, Crabbe will earn a base salary of $19,332,500, while carrying a cap hit of $19,332,500 and a dead cap value of $56,332,500.

If this contract was moved.... I'm sure a halfway decent GM can find a taker for THJr.... one would think.

Now, if Timmy comes out and averages 23 points a game and looks like a decent and willing defender.... well, he might even look like a decent asset.

THJR is not scoring 23ppg with #kporzee being the focal point, maybe 16-17ppg. He might score that if bodies start dropping and we start tanking harder than ever but it wouldn't necessarily be indicative of how good he is vs circumstantial situation. He might be a classic case of, okay stats on a bad team

Of course in the most rose colored glasses optimistic way of looking at it sure but this isn't The Wizard of Oz or Alice In Wonderland here. THJR contract comes with a $8mil kicker if we try to entertain such a move. We would only want to move him because he's not working out...just more puke when thinking about it realistically.

Big difference with THJR and Crabbe, while Crabbe's deal is an unattractive contract get this...he was moved to the team who offered it to him originally. Nets gave him that offer sheet, PDX matched like dums dums. Now ask yourself who gave THJR his contract outside of us? Now if there was another Dolan and another Knicks in this league, no question we could move this albatross anchor sinking contract

I guess Crabbe is on his way to 23ppg too? I doubt it, the Nets are idiots here but their uphill climb is even more challenging than ours