Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

Kiyaman

Legend
Courtney Lee does seem like a reasonable guy. He also defended Fizdale for not giving him more minutes to play other guys.

Courtney Lee did not care bout the Knicks organization developing the young-core players by defending Fizdale's Tank-Tank methods.
Courtney Lee's career and NBA future were being put out to pasture on the Knicks.
If C.Lee cared, he would have convince Fizdale to keep the Knicks 3 veterans (Kanter Lance C.Lee) in the starter lineup to help develop some offense/defense plays for the young-core players in a rotation.
Example: Each one of the Knicks 4 PG (Frank/Burke/Mudiay/and Trier) were supposed to learn little simple plays like practicing the pick n roll and give n go plays with Kanter on the left-side and right-side of the basket until they get it right to work well in a game with the help of veteran teammate screens.
I'm glad C.Lee were traded off the Knicks !!!

Dan Patrick said on his show today that KD is going to NYK... he won?t go to LAK to help Lebron?s legacy. He feels he is the best player on the planet, has his rings, and will now attempt to prove it to the world by rescuing Knicks.

The sound bite is embedded here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...ers-New-York-Knicks-LeBron-James-NBA-news/amp

I don?t know. It sounds nice in theory, but I feel like we?ve been dealt this line before about a star coming here to save us.

paris401

Starter
Courtney Lee did not care bout the Knicks organization developing the young-core players by defending Fizdale's Tank-Tank methods.
Courtney Lee's career and NBA future were being put out to pasture on the Knicks.
If C.Lee cared, he would have convince Fizdale to keep the Knicks 3 veterans (Kanter Lance C.Lee) in the starter lineup to help develop some offense/defense plays for the young-core players in a rotation.
Example: Each one of the Knicks 4 PG (Frank/Burke/Mudiay/and Trier) were supposed to learn little simple plays like practicing the pick n roll and give n go plays with Kanter on the left-side and right-side of the basket until they get it right to work well in a game with the help of veteran teammate screens.
I'm glad C.Lee were traded off the Knicks !!!

yes the knicks put him out to pasture, and he was the 'good soldier' .... for 12.3m this year and 12.7m next year- but to suggest that he could convince fizzle to keep the vet's in the lineup is.... well laughable.... there is one word and only one word in the knicks dictionary this year and that word is...TANK... he took, is taken the $$$$ and keepin quiet...

mafra

Legend
I don?t know. It sounds nice in theory, but I feel like we?ve been dealt this line before about a star coming here to save us.

Difference here is the star isn?t coming to save us, necessarily, but to save their legacy. That?s how pathetic our org is now, that a player may instantly become GOAT if they win here.

Given we dealt KP so suddenly and have money for a second max, and have a young roster and KD has ties to NYC... i say 50/50 shot.

tiger0330

Legend
I don’t know. It sounds nice in theory, but I feel like we’ve been dealt this line before about a star coming here to save us.
I could see it happening if we sign Zion. Lots of guys are going to be interested in playing along side perhaps the most widely discussed player since LeBron.

Kiyaman

Legend
Dan Patrick said on his show today that KD is going to NYK... he won’t go to LAK to help Lebron’s legacy. He feels he is the best player on the planet, has his rings, and will now attempt to prove it to the world by rescuing Knicks.

The sound bite is embedded here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...ers-New-York-Knicks-LeBron-James-NBA-news/amp

uuh-Oh .. we got another one .. u gonna make the Knicks like it used to be back in the Daze SMH !!!

Aint this the same guy who was in a lineup of 2 NBA MVP players (Westbrook and Harding) in OKC ???
Durant didn't have the gift to convince management & teammates back then on a championship, why would a owner invest half of salary-cap thinking KD has the gift now ???
Sorry KD .. when u joined the Splash-Brothers they were already a Championship Team.
However .. I would have to welcome KD to the Knicks with the key to Suffolk n Nassau county ..
KD's career has been a complimentary super star-player having the ability to lift n improve his teammates performance, plus have a high athletic scoring performance to make a inexperience head coach look like a genius. Something the Knicks need to sign top FA throughout the era of KD-Knicks !!!

The NBA’s second Christmas has come and gone. The trade deadline has officially passed, and it’s just as notable for what didn’t happen as what happened. The biggest news of the day? Anthony Davis is staying put in New Orleans, meaning the Celtics will get a chance to trade for the all-world forward in the summer. That doesn’t mean we didn’t have movement. The East’s best teams loaded up, as the Bucks added Nikola Mirotic and the Raptors acquired Marc Gasol in the wake of the Tobias Harris-Sixers deal.

In a smaller but equally intriguing transaction, the Sixers dealt Markelle Fultz to Orlando, ending the saga of one of the most polarizing No. 1 picks in NBA history. Meanwhile, out West, the Rockets added Iman Shumpert, while dumping James Ennis to open up a roster spot. The Lakers made some small moves on the margins, but will move forward in what promises to be an incredibly awkward finish to the season.

If you want to relive every second of the madness as it happened, check out our live blog below, which featured instant reactions in real-time to all the deadline hoopla.
https://sports.yahoo.com/2019-nba-trade-deadline-tracker-045003741.html

Kiyaman

Legend
yes the knicks put him out to pasture, and he was the 'good soldier' .... for 12.3m this year and 12.7m next year- but to suggest that he could convince fizzle to keep the vet's in the lineup is.... well laughable.... there is one word and only one word in the knicks dictionary this year and that word is...TANK... he took, is taken the $$$$ and keepin quiet...

This new analytic NBA has 11 NBA franchise teams TANKING in the 2018-19 season .. And u cant get upset at their players for speaking-out (Kanter) wanting to be traded, nor the quiet player (C.Lee) who hint to management to trade him.
All 11 NBA TANKING teams had to make trades before the deadline ....
1) Knicks
2) Cavs
3) Suns
4) Bulls
5) Hawks
6) Magics
7) Wizards
8) Grizz
9) Pelicans
10) Pistons
11) Mavs
I'm sure franchise TANKING has to be hard on a lot of young star-players and final contract players in the league each season.

Knicks reportedly rejected Orlando?s attempt to acquire Ntilkina. Meanwhile, Ntilikina is out until after the trade deadline.

mafra

Legend
I like Durant and Kyrie as players but don?t necessarily love handing both of them the max contracts this summer (given Kyrie?s injury history and KD?s age, and the fact both have their issues with handling the media).

But we?ve been bad for virtually 15/18 years. And both will come with lots to prove. We have a young core but we have no clue what their NBA futures will look like... are they starters? role players? Subs? Not worthy a second contract?

I do prefer keeping our pick (Zion or RJ) and having our roster as is, and adding these 2 to them... as opposed to trading it all for AD and just signing Kyrie or KD.

If we add Zion, KD, Kyrie to this roster... we are in the mix in the EC.

If we just have KD/AD... this doesn?t help as much and I would prefer keeping our assets.

It?s time, folks.

If we don?t make a move then it makes dealing KP foolish. 4-5 years is a perfect commitment, bc these 2 max guys will help show our kids how to win and get them valuable playoff experience.

Knicks would have plenty of picks to deal to help improve the roster moving forward.

Plus, KI and KD will make life easy for Zion or RJ.

DSJ
Kyrie
Zion
KD
MRob

Knox, Trier, Mudiay, Dotson, Kornet, Herzongia.

This is my Dream for 2019-2020 season. It would make 18 years of suffering worth it.

I agree. The NBA is all about the draft. You have to hit it big in the draft to get the star players who come at a low salary. We have 7 1st round picks in the next 5 years. If we sign stars this offseason, fantastic. For the love of God though, let?s not trade away any of those draft picks unless we have already signed 2 stars and are looking to add the 3rd to make a real run at it.

If we completely strike out in free agency, fine. Use that cap space to instead absorb bad contracts as a means of acquiring even more draft picks.

The only way we lose here is to repeat that horrible sequence where we signed injury prone Amare and then traded so many assets to get Melo. Give up all your cap space. Give up all your assets. Can?t let history repeat itself or we?ll still be having these same conversations in 2030.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree. The NBA is all about the draft. You have to hit it big in the draft to get the star players who come at a low salary. We have 7 1st round picks in the next 5 years. If we sign stars this offseason, fantastic. For the love of God though, let’s not trade away any of those draft picks unless we have already signed 2 stars and are looking to add the 3rd to make a real run at it.

If we completely strike out in free agency, fine. Use that cap space to instead absorb bad contracts as a means of acquiring even more draft picks.

The only way we lose here is to repeat that horrible sequence where we signed injury prone Amare and then traded so many assets to get Melo. Give up all your cap space. Give up all your assets. Can’t let history repeat itself or we’ll still be having these same conversations in 2030.
Cavs did a nice job of this type of rebuilding. They picked up a total of 7 picks, digging out of the basement is a description more appropriate for the Knicks since the Cavs tasted success just coming off an NBA final appearance while the Knicks look ready to set new club records for losses in a season, consecutive games lost and already set a new record for consecutive home games lost.

Winners: Cleveland Cavaliers
Although most observers won’t care because the post-LeBron Cavaliers are pitiful, General Manager Koby Altman has enjoyed a nice run of accumulating draft picks. Since November, he’s landed two second-round picks for Kyle Korver, a first-round pick and a second-round pick for George Hill, two second-round picks for Rodney Hood and a first-round pick for agreeing to take on Brandon Knight. Digging out of the basement is no fun, but kudos to Altman for getting straight to work.

Can somebody explain the odds of us getting the first, second and third pick and how far can we go down please?

Whenever I cite the odds for the new draft lottery, I am using this table from Tankathon.com:

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

For the teams with the 3 worst records, you have identical odds of the 1st pick (14.0%), 2nd pick (13.4%), 3rd pick (12.7%), and 4th pick (12.0%).

The difference between the odds for the teams with the 3 worst records is that the worst record team can only then fall as far as the 5th pick (47.9%). The team with the 2nd worst record can fall as far as the 6th pick . The team with the 3rd worst record can fall as far as the 7th pick, and so on.

More likely than not, the bottom 3 records are going to be us, Phoenix, and Cleveland. One of the 3 of us would have to start winning again to give Chicago a chance at dropping into the bottom 3 from the 4th position.

Biggest change for those of us in the "bottom 4" this year is that the bottom 4 teams used to have a combined ~75% chance of getting the #1 pick. Now, the bottom 4 teams have a combined chance of getting the #1 pick of only a little more than 50%.

Also, now 4 teams' ping pong balls get picked, giving teams a chance to move up, and then it goes by record. That's how the team with the worst record can fall as far as 5th. So, you can watch a team like ours, whose ping pong balls haven't been picked in over 30 years, sit and watch 4 other teams move ahead of us. The joy of being a Knicks fan on lottery night.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Whenever I cite the odds for the new draft lottery, I am using this table from Tankathon.com:

For the teams with the 3 worst records, you have identical odds of the 1st pick (14.0%), 2nd pick (13.4%), 3rd pick (12.7%), and 4th pick (12.0%).

The difference between the odds for the teams with the 3 worst records is that the worst record team can only then fall as far as the 5th pick (47.9%). The team with the 2nd worst record can fall as far as the 6th pick . The team with the 3rd worst record can fall as far as the 7th pick, and so on.

More likely than not, the bottom 3 records are going to be us, Phoenix, and Cleveland. One of the 3 of us would have to start winning again to give Chicago a chance at dropping into the bottom 3 from the 4th position.

Biggest change for those of us in the "bottom 4" this year is that the bottom 4 teams used to have a combined ~75% chance of getting the #1 pick. Now, the bottom 4 teams have a combined chance of getting the #1 pick of only a little more than 50%.

Also, now 4 teams' ping pong balls get picked, giving teams a chance to move up, and then it goes by record. That's how the team with the worst record can fall as far as 5th. So, you can watch a team like ours, whose ping pong balls haven't been picked in over 30 years, sit and watch 4 other teams move ahead of us. The joy of being a Knicks fan on lottery night.
Nice post htr10.

Kiyaman

Legend

Very well put htr10 .... the luck the Knicks been getting lately we may be the prime example of one of the worst 3 teams getting the 5th pick in the 2019 draft.

If you haven?t seen it yet, the image that the Knicks are using to advertise season ticket renewals features MRob, but also completely includes Durant standing next to him. No other players in frame. Even if we don?t get Durant, that is some real clever marketing.