Knicks need to focus on development, not Kyrie Irving

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm pretty much tired of hearing about Kyrie. I want the Knicks to be focused on the players we have, not a player that may or may not be here in the future. I would like for the Knicks Mills/Perry/Fiz to focus on developing players Frank Ntilikina, Trey Burke, and Emmanuel Mudiay to run the point-position throughout the 2018-19 season.
Kyrie talk is for the 2019 offseason .. plus the way Terry Rozier n Smart ran the Boston offense throughout the post season games, Kyrie will have to step-up his one on one game this season if he expect a penny more raise in pay from Danny Ainge.
https://youtu.be/pZsM-l8BzxU?t=2004

I'm all for developing Trey Burke as our starting PG at the start of the season, having 2nd season Frank Ntilikina length and multi-position performance as our 6th man off the bench plus the Knicks most minute played player in the upcoming season.
Last season I watched both Frank Knits and Trey Burke impressed me with their raw hunger to receive a bigger role.
The two guards did their best to Mesh together when ever they were on the court together.
My only high expectation for Frank and Trey to achieve in their 2nd season together as Knicks are getting their Pick n Roll game down to a 100% science having two scoring wings.
Trey Burke nor Frank Knits performance were a liability in any game last season .. both guards earned their keep just as much if not more than any other Knicks player on the team. I recall getting a little upset after last year preseason games when we sent Burke to the G.League. When Jack and Burke out performed Session and Baker at the point throughout the preseason games.
I?m well aware of Burke's age 25, and prior stint with Utah and Washington, then our Westchester team .. to have a successful 2018-19 Knicks season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thank You Kyrie for the announcement! I was getting tired in the offseason of listening to Kyrie coming to the Knicks as a FA .. when the Knicks organization have NOT fix the problem of getting their big contract players on the court to play ball since 2002 the days of Mcdyess in a Knick uniform. SMH !!!

Kyrie Irving says he intends to remain a member of the Boston Celtics beyond this season.
"I've shared it with some of my teammates as well as the organization as well as everyone else in Boston. If you guys will have me back, I plan on re-signing here next year," Irving said to rousing applause at an event for season-ticket holders at TD Garden on Thursday night.
http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6442/kyrie-irving

mafra

Legend
Rotoworld?

Kyrie Irving says he'll re-sign with Celtics
Kyrie Irving said on Thursday that he intends to re-sign with the Celtics this summer, and has "verbally committed" to remaining with the franchise long-term.

Irving has announced his intentions in talks with "Boston ownership over the past few weeks," and this seems to go beyond mere talking points due to the 'verbal committment'. He's been extremely vague about his plans in the past, so this should reduce unnecessary distractions as Boston seeks to vie for a championship and win the LeBron-less Eastern Conference.

mafra

Legend
Amen... let this group prove they?re on the verge before we start handing out max contracts to lure ?the final piece(s)? here.

For all we know we may be closer to trading KP and Knits, bc their ceilings are lower than anticipated, to build around Knox and Mitch, than we are to going all out next July to make our run now.

tiger0330

Legend
Have to agree first things first. Mills and Perry have outlined a strategy of patience and building from the ground up, let's stick with it before opening up the checkbook esp for these 10 year max guys. The youth movement should also apply to our FA's.

Kiyaman

Legend
Amen... let this group prove they’re on the verge before we start handing out max contracts to lure “the final piece(s)” here.

For all we know we may be closer to trading KP and Knits, bc their ceilings are lower than anticipated, to build around Knox and Mitch, than we are to going all out next July to make our run now.

We do not need to hand out max contracts to one dimensional players .. we need Mills/Perry to start doing their home-work and start looking for complimentary performance talent in the FA market, or in a trade. Example .. Mudiay's 2 season performance in Denver did not show Mudiay improving any of his Denver teammates performance.
For the past 2 decades the Knicks management has had problem with keeping more than 2 players on the Knick roster for 4 years.
The Knicks has been a rebuilding team every season for the past 2 decades, plus each season 1 or 2 Knick players want out of the organization.
Only 8 Knick players from the 2017-18 start of the season roster will be on the 2018-19 roster .. something Knicks management does every season.
For the past two decade Knick players average 2 years on the Knicks.
So the thought of the Knicks trading KP and Frank will only take a couple season when KP and Frank will ask to get off the sinking ship.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Porzingis
Ntilikina
Knox
Burke
Trier
Robinson
2019 draft pick

We have so much potential for once. All these guys could become great players (KP already is) if they're developed the right way. That means keeping this nucleus for a couple years and not changing coaches every other year.

Guys stop thinking about trading our young players for old stars with baggage!!!

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Also, I'd rather have a defensive minded point guard then a scoring point like kyrie. So yea lets forget about kyrie and build a complete team with the max we would have given him :thumbsup:

mafra

Legend
I agree with your assessment. Work on our young core and develop these guys. I would add Super Mario to that list.

Trust me... if and when the kids develop, the free agent flavor of the day will eagerly run to take Dolan?s money.