Game thread: New York Knicks @ San Antonio Spurs 8:30 10/23/2019 [Game #1]

Kiyaman

Legend
When your front office stinks and has for a long time that’s what happens. You actually hit on KP, but he couldn’t wait to get away. And out of a major market no less. That’s how you know your front office is awful. Then they get stuck putting a wig on a pig this Summer after being spurned by any free agent worth a crap. So you get stuck with Portis, Payton,Morris,Taj,Randle.....all looking clueless in the 4th and poor KK and Knits um um um. RJ looks like player. Gotta build around him and MRob try not to blow anymore lottery picks. The draft is a crapshoot....Knicks Tank rolls on like a broken record. Just let me know when I’m allowed to root for this team to win again��

So so True !!!
The NY Post should've wrote the Knicks organization need HELP in the coaching department after last night game.
The Knicks looked like a Spurs fan coached them last night.
The Knicks played AWFUL in the first quarter .. And AWFUL throughout the entire 4th quarter.
The final 6 minute of the game "Crunch-Time" the Knicks went 0-9 shooting as if the Knick team wanted the LOSS.

Every NBA head coach that cried to the media bout not having the right PG, always have a lottery season.
Fizdale putting rookie RJ in the starter lineup as the PG, instead of Payton reminded me of the same Fizdale that took Gasol out of the Grizz starter lineup. Well, Gasol received his NBA championship ring this week.

mafra

Legend
It doesn?t inspire much confidence when Fiz bungles the opener in SA in such idiotic fashion. Playing RJ at PG, when he didn?t practice that at all in the pre-season, only to double down the moment victory was within grasp, up 97-91-, with 8 to go.... going back to the failed experiment? Odd!

Kiyaman

Legend
Did Payton's dynamic performance last night make coach Fizdale into a BIG LIAR when he commented bout the PG position before the game ???
What kind of crazy agenda does Fizdale have for rookie RJ Barrett???

The Knicks started the 4th qtr. having a one point lead over the Spurs, Fizdale having rookie RJ at the PG position to start the 4th qtr. help the Spurs with their 18-0 spurt to take full control of the game for the win throughout the 4th quarter.

Kiyaman

Legend
It doesn’t inspire much confidence when Fiz bungles the opener in SA in such idiotic fashion. Playing RJ at PG, when he didn’t practice that at all in the pre-season, only to double down the moment victory was within grasp, up 97-91-, with 8 to go.... going back to the failed experiment? Odd!

I'm sorry, but i watch Fiz bungle over 50 games last season .. I did not want to be reminded on the Knicks first game of the season that clueless Fizdale is clueless on Game-Night of who to put in the starter lineup ???
Especially, when the coach decision insults several players. I was so happy Payton's dynamic performance made Fizdale look like a fools-FOOL last night by making Payton the 3rd guard off the bench. When Payton were suppose to be our starting PG to take pressure off our young-core players.

jimkcchief88

All Star
There shouldn't be any complaints bout the rookie RJ Barrett .. there should only be question on how do you coach RJ throughout his rookie season ???
1) Should we struggle the season by putting a rookie RJ at the PG spot like Fiz did last night? SMH Fizdale's a JOKE!
2) Should we play RJ at the SG spot? As a back-court tandem alongside PG-Payton or PG-Frank or PG-DSJ?
3) Should we play RJ at the SF spot? As a catch n shoot wing, and a wing slasher?
4) Should we play RJ in certain lineups as a multi-positional player in his rookie season?

Yeah I think RJ played well in his first NBA game no complaints there....Coaching???? I?ve been giving Coach Fiz a pass because I kinda like him(take that data🤣) but there needs to be more scrutiny on him this year. Mark Jackson would have been my pick to develop young talent like he did with GS. But we have to stick with a coach sometime so I hope Fiz can figure out a competitive lineup and rotation. PG problems still??? Unbelievable. We should have kept D Rose and I though Mudiay played well down the stretch last year. Again front office woes. Amazing after all these years and we still can?t figure out a backcourt. Give Payton/DSjr a chance to lock down the positions. Credit to RJ quietly going along with starting his first out of position.

mafra

Legend
Word is the 21-yr-old DSJ showed up out of shape. So much for revamped jumper and 50 point summer showing. Fatty is out of breath and that?s why he?s in doghouse. Great. Can?t be great with zero passion.

tiger0330

Legend
Word is the 21-yr-old DSJ showed up out of shape. So much for revamped jumper and 50 point summer showing. Fatty is out of breath and that’s why he’s in doghouse. Great. Can’t be great with zero passion.
Out of shape losing 15 lbs. and all those vids of him working out. I'm not believing that but if he went undrafted and a team brought him into camp for a look they would have cut him off his preseason. He and Nitilina living off their draft pick status but I see the Knicks giving up on both.

mafra

Legend
Isola was talking about it on his show.... he may have lost the weight playing during summer, but did he take off few weeks before camp and this show up behind others? Was it bc of an injury!

Either way, his lack of explosiveness and athleticism was evident in SA.

Wes Unseld? He was 22 as a rookie, after playing 4 years at Louisville. If you want to compare Wes to RJ, you compare Barrett’s rookie year in NBA to Wes’s as a freshman at UL.... oh, wait, you can’t.... bc Wes sat as a freshman at UL... Wes didn’t even play!

Wes!

So, in 3 years, when RJ is 22, then we can compare how his season went compared to what a 22 yr old rookie Wes did...

Yes Wes Unseld!!
You keep wanting to evaluate RJ in 3 years. I never said anything about him in 3 years. Again, I might not be here in 3 years.
I was talking about what a #3 pick should be and I gave Wes Unseld as an example. Of course, this isn't something you would like address as a fan of RJ. Well, I'm a Knick fan 1st. RJ does not move the needle like Wes Unseld. I'm comparing where they were pick. Now if go from last to 1st would it be because of RJ? I seriously doubt it but for you they do then I will say it because of RJ. Now if they finish in last I'm going to say we made a mistake with picking him that high.
DOES NOT MOVE THE NEEDLE? If you are tired of losing like you say then answer the question.

mafra

Legend
So, you want to compare impact Wes had his rookie year, after his 4 year college stint at UL? Compare a 24 year old rookie from 1960s, to what RJ does this season, as a 19 yr old kid (who should be a freshman at Duke if this were 1960).

Not sure what else RJ could?ve done to get the win last night.... he had team winning 97-91 until Fiz bungled it.

Wes.... he scores 8 points (22 rebounds) his debut... but he played with Earl ?the pearl? Monroe and Gus Johnson. Who was PG fro RJ? Not Earl...

So, you want to compare impact Wes had his rookie year, after his 4 year college stint at UL? Compare a 24 year old rookie from 1960s, to what RJ does this season, as a 19 yr old kid (who should be a freshman at Duke if this were 1960).

Not sure what else RJ could’ve done to get the win last night.... he had team winning 97-91 until Fiz bungled it.

Wes.... he scores 8 points (22 rebounds) his debut... but he played with Earl “the pearl” Monroe and Gus Johnson. Who was PG fro RJ? Not Earl...

Yes, I am comparing the impact that Wes and RJ in their rookie NBA season. Nothing else!! It not my fault that RJ came out early. Wes couldn't come out early even though the ABA was taking them early.

As for a win... quit trying to play RJ at PG. We should learn from our mistakes in life. Evidently Fiz doesn't forgot about the SA game. Fiz got the memory of a Defensive Back(he forget the last play...especially if it a TD).

As for debut and the different between the Bullets and Knicks. This is what makes Wes so SPECIAL. A lineup of Gus Johson, Jack Marin, Kevin L. and Earl Monroe. This lineup finish last in the east. It was Wes special talents that move them from last to first. Wes is the only different in that team. That is why he won MVP and ROY. Your Question about who was PG for RJ? RJ was the his own PG, REMEMBER.

You don't draft any player at #3 that doesn't move the needle. RJ couldn't move the needle with Gus, Jack, Kevin and Earl. THAT IS NOT IN HIS DNA(even if Nash is his G-father). An average player at best.
I HAVE NO PROBLEM EATING MY WORDS IF PROVEN NOT TRUE!!!

mafra

Legend
Like I said, name your 2 prospects you take instead and we will revisit in 5 years. We got RJ, move on with life and accept the things you can?t control.

I imagine in 5 years you be buying an RJ Jersey. A 24 year old RJ will be starting to resemble a Kawhi type player.

Like I said, name your 2 prospects you take instead and we will revisit in 5 years. We got RJ, move on with life and accept the things you can’t control.

I imagine in 5 years you be buying an RJ Jersey. A 24 year old RJ will be starting to resemble a Kawhi type player.

Gave 2 prospect when I first responded back to you. You don't get it!!! I'm not revisiting RJ in 5 years. BTW, what happen to the 2-4 years and now it 5 years. Sorry play that game with someone else. As a fan for many years I come to know that I have no control in the Knicks business. I never gave up the right to voice my disapproval of the choices. This happen to be a mistake like the ones Perry made with Super Mario. See Perry can't ever admit when he made them. The last two draft they should have trade back. If you truly tired of losing take off those rose colored glass. Nothing RJ can do can stop us from losing. He not that type of player. Pure and Simple!!

I don't buy jersey or team gear. I'm not that kind of fan. Are you comparing RJ to Kawhi?? Kawhi was a #15 pick and took his team to a championship. Kawhi is also right handed. Remember than tidpit. Might help you in the future.