2020 NBA Draft: NYK target a PG

tiger0330

Legend
Found this on some draft website rating Maxey’s skill set. Doesn’t stick out as a more than 10-20 pick to me. Also his size doesn’t impress me for a combo guard.

STAT STRENGTHS

Draft Age

FT%

AST%/Usage

STAT WEAKNESSES

3P%

Off Box +/-

Off Rebounds

PER

EFG%

Box +/-

Win Shares

Off Rating

TS%

Steals

Off Win Shares

FG%

Rebounds

tiger0330

Legend
Hollinger of The Athletic on Maxey. Has him going at 26, not even late lottery but late first round. Why would the Knicks pick a guy @ 8 like Payne says, like I said I hope he’s a better coach than scout.

26. Tyrese Maxey, SG/PG, Kentucky
He’s okay. I mean, that’s what you’re dealing with at this point. Maxey has become something of a Mock Draft Guy – he is theoretically an athletic guard who had high-lottery hype early in the year, but his production was pretty meh. In particular, his rebound-steal-block numbers were very poor for this type of player.
Defensively, he’s not a disruptive defender and doesn’t anticipate or get his hands on balls, but he is a good lateral athlete who can stay in a stance, slide his feet, and keep drivers from getting anywhere important. Between that and his solid frame, he should be able to guard most 2s despite being short for the position.
Maxey didn’t shoot the 3 well at Kentucky (29.2 percent), but between his free-throw shooting, his high school numbers and the eye test on his shooting form, it seems he can get to a decent level as a pro 3-point shooter. While he is more likely to play the two as a pro, he showed an ability to split traps off the dribble and had a solid assist rate (5.5 dimes per 100 in SEC play) for a guy who mostly played off the ball.
Add all those things up and there’s enough hope that he can be a useful combo-ish rotation guard to take the plunge here.

Last edited:
Lottery takes place in a little over a half hour. Hoping for the best, but let?s be honest, draft lottery night is never a pleasant night for Knicks fans.

mafra

Legend
Rose saying that about this draft.... most are on the same tier, meaning there?s a wide variety of opinions... all with flaws and pros and cons... so, not surprising some see Maxey as a top 10 and others in the 20-30 range.

Sounds like we trade down if we don?t get in top 3-5 range, bc we feel the guys 6-38 are interchangeable.

We have the highest odds of ending up picking 7th or 8th. 9% chance of #1 pick. About a 28% chance of top 3.

mafra

Legend
What a shocker. Minny gets 1st pick. I wonder why? KAT and riots. NBA lending a helping hand. GSW gets second pick. Naturally, so they can trade it and help Curry. NBA is so rigged.

Collin Sexton was the 8th pick a couple years ago. Plenty of value to be had at 8. Ntilikina was an 8th pick, so there?s that too.

If we?re targeting PG, Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes are still both realistic targets at the 8th pick.

mafra

Legend
Dirk was the 9th pick. But this is NYK and we?ll trade MRob, RJ and the 8th pick for some disgruntled star, who will come here and suck. Repeat cycle. 2040 will be our decade!

Dirk was the 9th pick. But this is NYK and we?ll trade MRob, RJ and the 8th pick for some disgruntled start who will come here and suck. Repeat cycle.

That sounds like a trade we?ll offer for Embiid.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was a 9th pick. If we go PG, I think we?re still going to have solid options at 8. Trying to find a silver lining here, picking 8th might save us from going after a flashier guy with more risk.

mafra

Legend
If we?re targeting PG, Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes are still both realistic targets at the 8th pick.

Cole Anthony as well.

Gonna be interesting, bc we have 3 of top 40 picks.... in a draft most believe prospects 6-50 are all the same.

Do we package and move up? I doubt we trade down unless it?s for a later first round and a future 1st....

Would Minny prefer 3 picks to just 1?

Or, do well trade this pick and more for a disgruntled star?

mafra

Legend
This wasn?t a draft where it mattered really, IMHO. Edwards, Wiseman, Ball aren?t exactly Cant-Miss types....

It boils down to luck and let?s hope we get luck and get our SGA or Mitchell this time. Plenty of good prospects and we may have been saved from ourselves, like when we dropped to 4 and were left with KP.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Collin Sexton was the 8th pick a couple years ago. Plenty of value to be had at 8. Ntilikina was an 8th pick, so there’s that too.
Gallinari was also the eighth pick. He's been having a great dozen of years with the Knicks.

Edit: Oops, he was picked at 6. Just his jersey number was 8.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
LaMelo goes to MN. Lavar is going to go full out for the Knicks to trade up for him. Wiseman to the Warriors. I'm hoping Hayes, Halliburton are there at eight, I'd pick Vassell before Cole Anthony even if we need a PG.

mafra

Legend
That?s just it tho.... to me, you either package all 3 picks or you send a future first with the 8th... but Ball isn?t worth much more to trade up.... Hayes, Halliburton, Anthony, kid from Israel, kid from Dayton... that?s 5 guys right there, who NY will have on the boys at 8... at least 1 of those 5 will be available, if Edwards, Wiseman, Ball go 1-2-3.

So, would you prefer 1 of those 5 plus whatever we trade away... or Ball?