Should the Knicks make Quickley a starter in the first game of the season?

Kiyaman

Legend
After watching the preseason games and the impact Quickley?s ability to have a great handle at controlling the ball, and creating a functioning offense, it seems clear to me that the kid should receive 30+ plus minute of playingtime per game.
I strongly agree with Clyde bout putting to much pressure on the rookie by making him a starter.
The Knicks veteran players are a little upset that rookie Quickley's skills at PG & SG are the best we have on the team.

What Quickley did in the last two preseason games were take the ball completely out of the Knicks two so-call point-forwards hands (Randle & RJ) to stop their consistent turn-over prone performance we had to suffer last season.
Plus Quickley's play making skills made our two bust players (Knox & Bullocks) performance equal to the performance of RJ and Randle.
PG-Payton & PG-Frank need a backcourt partner that has Quickley's SG skills in their lineup.
I mention before the preseason games that rookie Quickley's skills, and quick release shooting will take playingtime minutes away from Barrett at the SG position.

KingCharles34

All Star
The kid actually played some defense too. Seems to be a complete steal

Should he start immediately? I see good arguments both ways (pause)

I guess what matters to me most is that he gets 25 to 30 minutes but i believe Thibs will make the right decisions. Austin Rivers is really not a bad player at all either

I dont want to go overboard with quickly overhyping Quickley based off two preseason games against the Cavs. Rivers was getting buckets and contributing for the Rockets

So to sum it all up Im not really sure what we will see or what i want in regards to who starts, my only desire is to see Quickley get between 25 to 30 minutes, grow as a player, and get used to defenses focusing on him

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

tiger0330

Legend
After watching the preseason games and the impact Quickley?s ability to have a great handle at controlling the ball, and creating a functioning offense, it seems clear to me that the kid should receive 30+ plus minute of playingtime per game.
I strongly agree with Clyde bout putting to much pressure on the rookie by making him a starter.
The Knicks veteran players are a little upset that rookie Quickley's skills at PG & SG are the best we have on the team.

What Quickley did in the last two preseason games were take the ball completely out of the Knicks two so-call point-forwards hands (Randle & RJ) to stop their consistent turn-over prone performance we had to suffer last season.
Plus Quickley's play making skills made our two bust players (Knox & Bullocks) performance equal to the performance of RJ and Randle.
PG-Payton & PG-Frank need a backcourt partner that has Quickley's SG skills in their lineup.
I mention before the preseason games that rookie Quickley's skills, and quick release shooting will take playingtime minutes away from Barrett at the SG position.
Thibs had Nits playing the SG all pre-season and IQ at PG, I don?t see that changing going into the regular season. We will see whether Thibs starts IQ but it could happen, Pistons seem to have turned over the keys to Killian Hayes and DRose is way better than him at this point, the same could happen for the Knicks. Give the job to IQ and see if he thrives or stumbles and lose the job to Payton. I think another factor will be if Thibs thinks IQ can defend the position as well as EP can.

mafra

Legend
If it truly were an open competition, and to the victor goes the spoils, then what are we left to consider? IQ won the gig.

DSJ (Meh)
Frank (Hurt + Meh)
Burks (Incomplete)
EP (Meh)
Rivers (Hurt)

The rookie has Quickly rose above the rest. His play was uplifting and inspiring and most importantly it was impactful. Apparently, he?s also practicing well.

This should be rewarded. Test the kid. Why defer to experience and go with hasn?t really been working anyway.

IQ earned this reward. Show this is a meritocracy. Don?t hide behind a 2-week training camp not enough.. BS.

mafra

Legend
Ian Begley
@IanBegley
?
2h
Tom Thibodeau said he and the coaching staff have a solid idea of their rotation (approx 10 players) but the staff is still analyzing a few positions in the starting lineup. Thibodeau said some of those undecided positions have been a 50-50 debate among the Knicks staff.

CoolClyde

agree, if it's a meritocracy, give IQ the starter keys like Detroit gave the keys to Killian Hayes. if the kid can't handle it, bench him. why not let him ride the tide of Quicksanity while the town is abuzz? can you imagine how crazy the garden would have been those last 2 pre-season games with the comeback and the blowout, mostly thanks to Quickly, who sets a confident tone that makes other players better. Great shooter, passer, high bball IQ, good defense, on court communicator, gets along with coaches... what more do you want in a starting PG? IM Psyched!

mafra

Legend
SNY Bagley

THIBS LIKES QUICKLEY?S VERSATILITY

Thibodeau was asked Tuesday if he plans to play Ntilikina off the ball this season. During his answer, he referenced the versatility of Quickley, a rookie combo guard.

?The thing I like about (Ntilikina) is he can (play) both (point guard and shooting guard) ? same thing with ?Quick?,? Thibodeau said, referencing Quickley. ?I think what we?ve seen a lot of now is you have a point guard, you have three wings and you have a big. So it?s not traditional like it has been in the past. ?And I like the fact that we have point guards that can do that. Quickley did that in college. It?s similar to the way I used my guards in Chicago. I think it?s a great advantage to have because defensively point guards are used to guarding guys off the dribble and now you can put them in catch and shoot, getting around screens and that sort of thing.

?Sometimes you can gain an advantage that way. Of course the rim reads are all the same for every player. When you look at today?s NBA, oftentimes you see more than one point guard on the floor or you see two combo guards on the floor together. That?s what I do like about our roster.?

The idea of playing two combo guards together is worth noting as New York begins the regular season.

??
Is Thibbs considering Frank and Quick, with RJ, Randle, Noel/Mitch?