home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Utah JazzNew York Knicks
Juwan Morgan - Medical protocols (Day-2-day)Reggie Bullock - Sore left knee (QUEST)
-Kevin Knox II - Sore left knee (PROB)
-Dennis Smith Jr - Contused left quad (PROB)
-Omari Spellman - Sore right knee (PROB)
-Frank Ntilikina - Sprained right knee (OUT)
-Obi Toppin - Sore right calf (OUT)

Game Preview

The Utah Jazz's consistency issues revealed themselves in a blowout loss to the previously struggling Brooklyn Nets Tuesday night. The Jazz won't have much time to refocus for a New York Knicks' squad that's already indicated it won't let up for 48 minutes.

Utah will attempt to bounce back from its worst loss in more than two years Wednesday night, when the Jazz continue a seven-game road trip by visiting the Knicks.

The Jazz will be completing a back-to-back set after absorbing a 130-96 loss to the Nets. The Knicks moved over .500 on Monday night, when they overcame a 15-point third-quarter deficit to edge the host Atlanta Hawks, 113-108.

The loss Tuesday was the most lopsided for Utah since a 118-68 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Nov. 14, 2018. Such a defeat would have been jarring enough for the Jazz if it was delivered by the optimal version of the Nets. But Brooklyn entered Tuesday at 3-4 while committing 16.6 turnovers per game and surrendering 14.6 offensive rebounds per game, the most in the league.

In addition, Kevin Durant was out due to coronavirus protocols and first-year head coach Steve Nash turned over Brooklyn's lineup by surrounding Kyrie Irving with four new starters. But the Jazz didn't reach double-digits in points until there was 1:07 left in the first, trailed 35-14 at the end of the quarter and never got closer than 16 points over the final three periods.

Afterward, Utah guard Donovan Mitchell said he hoped the loss would jolt the Jazz, whose first six games included two wins by at least 20 points, two victories by fewer than six points and an 11-point loss to the Phoenix Suns.

"We just didn't do much right tonight and that can't happen -- it's been the story all season," Mitchell said. "What are we, 4-3? Whatever it is, that's indicative of our play. We have two-and-a-half good games, then three bad ones. So it's like we've got to figure out who we want to be right now."

It's taken the Knicks -- whose 4-3 record marks the first time they've been over .500 since a 126-107 win over the Atlanta Hawks in the 2018-19 season opener on Oct. 17, 2018 -- just seven games to establish a scrappy, defensively minded identity under first-year head coach Tom Thibodeau.

New York, which hasn't made the playoffs since the spring of 2013-14, is allowing just 105.1 points per game, the sixth-lowest figure in the league, and limiting opponents to 43.3 percent shooting, the third-lowest mark. Last season, the Knicks allowed 112.3 points per game, tied for 12th-most in the NBA, and allowed foes to shoot 46.3 percent, tied for the 14th-highest rate.

In addition to the comeback win over the Hawks, the Knicks have also upset a pair of perennial contenders, the Milwaukee Bucks and Indiana Pacers. New York also led the Pacers at halftime of a 121-107 loss in the season opener Dec. 23 and was tied with the Toronto Raptors at halftime of a 100-83 loss on New Year's Eve.

"It starts with 'Thibs' and then it goes all the way down," second-year guard RJ Barrett said Monday night. "Everybody that comes in the game plays hard, plays with an edge."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
MitchRob block and Randle leading the break to score reduce Utah lead to 4 points .. 4 min remain in 3rd qtr.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow .. Knox with a block and Payton leading the break to score giving the Knicks its first lead of the game 76 - 75, then Barrett steals the ball to score giving the Knicks a 78-75 lead to end the 3rd qtr.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Wow .. Knox with a block and Payton leading the break to score giving the Knicks its first lead of the game 76 - 75, then Barrett steals the ball to score giving the Knicks a 78-75 lead to end the 3rd qtr.

Its crazy what a coaching change can do

Kiyaman

Legend
WOW Rivers! Rivers took over the game in the final 5 minute to give the Knicks a 9 pt lead having 1 min remaining in the game

Announcers referenced that Julius Randle said Thibodeau gives them a game plan that makes them believe they can win every game

mafra

Legend
Another win!!!! 5-3.... halftime adjustments helped us rally in the second half. EP and Randle and Bullock carried the team, then Austin Rivers closed game with 14 4th Q points....

We can?t shoot, have no stars, we don?t have a 30 year old on the roster, and we play 8 guys...

Considering the tough schedule...

5-3 feels like 7-1!!!!

Randle is starting to prove that this might be sustainable... his play...

I?m not sure we can?t keep winning without shooting... but it looks like we may play a meaningful game in March this season.

Kiyaman

Legend
WE KNICKS BEAT the Utah Jazz tonight 112 - 100 ....
Our turn-over King Randle put in a MVP performance ..
MitchRob played like a hungry beast for 41 minute ..
Payton stepped up his level of performance 3 times better than his average performance.
And Doc Rivers Jr. put on a dynamic performance in the 4th qtr. for a Knicks WIN.

mafra

Legend
MRob finally plays 40 minutes.... Rivers and IQ are the key... Randle our star... let?s go!

I said 3-2 this stretch of 5 games (4 at MSG).... we might wake up soon and see NYK at 7-5.