Game Thread: New York Knicks at Utah Jazz - 1/26/21

This West Coast trip proves Randle isn?t a keeper. A grinder and having a nice season but not a cornerstone on a title team. Trade him!

Toppin not a problem. Just hated the selection and every minute he plays it simply reminds me that we actually drafted a 24 year old project from Dayton. And that makes me sad.
I get he is a rookie and we need to give him time to evaluate. But, I?ve been to the future... this ain?t a stock you want to buy.

Alright, I get it. I like Toppin but it doesn?t matter at this point.

Broadway

All Star
Austin Rivers is the biggest fools gold player if I ever saw one. I don?t care what he does

Wish we never signed him...he wasn?t needed and historically for his career he?s not a difference maker

I think Quickley would play more fluidly if he started. RJ has practically been efficient for about 10gms now but the more efficient he is seems like the less he?s incorporated into what we do

Thibs has to show some guts and truth about the roster but also preserve the little value in it. Play our kids more, run actual plays involving them

With is Perry doing other than tucking Payton in bed at night?

Broadway

All Star
This West Coast trip proves Randle isn?t a keeper. A grinder and having a nice season but not a cornerstone on a title team. Trade him!

Toppin not a problem. Just hated the selection and every minute he plays it simply reminds me that we actually drafted a 24 year old project from Dayton. And that makes me sad.
I get he is a rookie and we need to give him time to evaluate. But, I?ve been to the future... this ain?t a stock you want to buy.

I won?t judge the pick until Thibs gets serious with playing him more

mafra

Legend
Payton with 4 points in 21 minutes. Noel with 2 points in 17 minutes. Knox with 0 points in 7 minutes.

And they were all awful. Rivers god awful in the second half. 1 family lineage of mine from Ireland - the Rabbit family - suffered horribly since coming to USA. Son sawed in half by a train, another murdered, another died of
Scarlett fever. Next generation... more
Murders and illness... 160 years of tragedy after tragedy for that lineage. I think the curse impacted me by subjecting me to this franchise the last 20 years, and highlighted by the fact I have to watch Obi Toppin and Elfrid Payton. The site of each makes me really reconsider watching another minute.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I won?t judge the pick until Thibs gets serious with playing him more

I?m hard on Obi bc I am emotionally scarred from NYK draft decisions. How can I give them the benefit of doubt? His selection broke me. I seriously considered not watching this team anymore. I just can?t stand Dolan and wonder why I wasted 20 years on this trash.

At this point, Thibbs needs to start the future and be damned with everything else. Battling for the 11th seed doesn?t do anything for me.

Trade Randle, Burks, Bullock, Noel and anything else that can get anything. Start IQ and Knox and Toppin and Randle and RJ and just endure the eyesore that is that roster construction.

We have RJ, IQ, MItch... this should be the focus. Enough with EP and whoever. Start the kids!

mafra

Legend
The bottom line: We don?t have the talent to compete. We work hard and are well-coached, but as we saw on this WC trip... if the other team hits their shots... we can?t beat them. And it is a shot making league

Broadway

All Star
It was the 4th game of a tough 4 game road trip. Give it time.

Naaaahhh cuhz good teams have to win on the road. We?re improved(not by much) but it?s obvious the VETS aren?t the difference makers they?re usage rates say they are

If we?re going to be a 30-42 team I?d rather it be on the legs of the youth

Naaaahhh cuhz good teams have to win on the road. We?re improved(not by much) but it?s obvious the VETS aren?t the difference makers they?re usage rates say they are

If we?re going to be a 30-42 team I?d rather it be on the legs of the youth

I was more talking to mafra who is giving up on this franchise forever. I think this is the 30 to 35 win season, as you said, and next year is the playoff year. Roster changes will happen as they happen, hopefully.

I think Toppin can do for us what Michael Porter Jr is doing for Denver. His offensive game is electric. He needs to get the ball.

Broadway

All Star
I was more talking to mafra who is giving up on this franchise forever. I think this is the 30 to 35 win season, as you said, and next year is the playoff year. Roster changes will happen as they happen, hopefully.

I think Toppin can do for us what Michael Porter Jr is doing for Denver. His offensive game is electric. He needs to get the ball.

I think MPJ is more advanced but I do believe he can give us what Miles Bridges has given Charlotte when they started him and probably slightly more. I want him and IQ to play as many minutes together with the starting unit. I think they have similar chemistry as Ball and Bridges

The only players who got a "real chance" to play aside from Robinson were Knox and Knits, even then we can say they've been mismanaged. The same way Robinson was allowed to work out his issues which he had several of them other players should've been given more rope. Robinson has improved and this is what happens if you develop and stick with it. We rebooted and called ourselves rebuilding since drafting Porzingis 15' yet have no real core of youth. Your core is truly defined by who starts, plays high minutes, and finish gms

Like I said start IQ and get OB1 minutes up so he can start and we'll know it's real

mafra

Legend
I think we need to be at that point in the season where we need a serious alteration in the way we are approaching our near term goals...

At 8-11, when limp home from out west, essentially, at the first quarter pole of the season. It was stated they would wait 20 games to make an evaluation on the direction this season should take.

I think we need to take the keys away from
Bullock, Burks and Rivers, and hand them to Knox, Toppin, and Knits. EP needs to join them, and DSJ needs to come off the shelf.

8-11 isn?t establishing a winning culture, not enough where you go all-in on this season.

Now is the final time to evaluate Knox, Knits, and DSJ. Turn to Toppin and see if you can build His confidence with 27 minutes a game.

Give that group 20 games, and see where we go from 8-11 to wherever the next 20 games.

At that point, when midway point of the season arrives, you know exactly what you need to do moving forward.

mafra

Legend
Woah!

Austin Rivers went scoreless in the 2nd half. He is the first Knicks player to score 25 points in the 1st half then go scoreless in the 2nd half in one game since Jamal Crawford on 4/16/08.

Uh-oh!

Robinson played 31 minutes, but after the game tweeted, then deleted, ?One day, they?ll let me play.??

The Knicks center could have been referring to his minutes, the lack of offensive opportunities he gets other than alley-oops or the referees. Robinson had just seven points on four shot attempts and committed just two fouls.

Marc Berman - NYP

It was an odd day for Rivers, who spoke to the media after the morning shootaround and touched on two topics ? the mentorship of Kobe Bryant on the anniversary of his death and the club?s state of ?fatigue.??

The Knicks have played 13 of their first 19 on the road.

?Oh, we?re definitely tired,?? Rivers said Tuesday morning. ?Our schedule, I would challenge anybody to put up their schedule versus ours. I don?t know how a schedule could be tougher than what we?ve played.??

Rivers entered the game struggling, having scored just seven points in the previous four games.

As the game unfolded, Rivers resembled Bryant for the first half. Then the whole team looked zapped in the final two quarters as the Jazz won their ninth straight game to move to 13-4.

?He?s helped me in times of doubt and in times of failure,?? Rivers said of Bryant. ?He used to come up to me and talk to me about all my games, especially early on [in New Orleans] when I was young and struggling.?

At least Rivers? 25-point performance topped his father?s Knicks-high of 24 points in 1993. Rivers just missed tying a Knicks record of 11 of 11 shooting to start a game.

In the third quarter, Rivers? contested pull-up bounced off the rim on his 11th attempt, failing to tie the team record shared by Johnny Newman, Bernard King and Robinson.

Rivers had no help. Rookie point guard Immanuel Quickley, the star in the Portland loss on Sunday, finished 1 of 11 from the field. Alec Burks, facing his old team, was worse, going 3 of 14.

?We learn from this,? Rivers said. ?How many times have we been up 13 at the half? Not too many.??

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
You guys sound stressed :lol:

We’re still a young lottery bound team and y’all acting like we’re messing up our chances to win the Finals this year.

I’m just happy that we’re competitive most games.

And that we have a young nice core that is building chemistry every day.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Mafra you’ve come too far to quit now.

If anything take a small break. Go start a YouTube channel or something.

Then come back when we’re in the playoffs next year
:smokin:

mafra

Legend
I know... I?m hard on the rookie and it?s not his fault. He turns 23 next month, so in essence he?s a 23 ur-old rookie from powerhouse Dayton. Not as bad as 24 or 26...

I still live and die with every loss, even after 20 years of this trash. Just another sucker over here...

An 8-11 eyesore still better than a Fizdale 4-16 one...

Kiyaman

Legend
I miss yesterday game vs the Jazz, but the highlights and Game stats says,
"The Jazz coach Snyder out-witted coach Thibs ISO-Knicks by not playing much defense in the first half of the game to not get any Jazz players into foul trouble. In the 2nd half of the game the Jazz tighten up their defense, and rebounding to out-score the Knicks 35-62, plus out-rebound the Knicks 44-53, plus out-assist the Knicks 15-24.
The Knicks players & coach did not have a team-plan to beat the Jazz at the opening tip.
The Knicks got PLAYED the same way they got played by the Blazers & Kings. By NOT having a plan A for the first-half of the game, and NOT having a plan B for the 2nd half of the game. Just iso-iso-iso offense.
MitchRob should've been giving 6 to 8 shots down low in the first half to get the Jazz big-men into foul trouble. Randle should've been doing a lot of screening for Payton & Barrett to go down the lane to get Gobert into foul trouble. Golbert's 19 pts, 19 rebs, and 7 offensive-rebounds, plus 4 block-shots showed the Knicks biggest weakness in the paint area. Randle and Obi were both useless in the PF position downlow in the paint. The Jazz grabbed 17 offensive-rebounds for 2nd shots last night.
The Knicks PF didn't box-out, or blockshots, nor did they give any help defense downlow for our centers on switch-offs, nor did they give any help screen or pick or passes for our guards.
Randle's a sorry-sorry mentor for rookie Obi !!!

The Knicks rookie Obi Toppin under coach Thibs young-core program .. And Randle's mentoring does not look well for Toppin.
Obi Toppin does not hustle on either side of the court, he don't rebound consistently, don't blockshots or defend opponents well, and never passes the ball.
Thibs ISO-offense-plan of the trio Payton, Barrett, and Randle are shoot-first players, and all our players on their final contract year has become shoot-first players too.
STOPPING the Knicks young-core players from practicing ball-movement first in their offense ....
Our PF-Randle dribbling the ball up-court after grabbing a defensive-rebound in the first half of the game is a no-no.

Two players the Knicks should have kept for the rebuilding of young-core players are DeAndre Jordan and Marcus Morris Sr. to mentor MitchRob, Knox, and Obi Toppin's game performance.

RJ Barrett received 40 minute of playing-time last night, and so far i noticed RJ Barrett's B.ball IQ performance & skills are not better than Knox or Obi Toppin.