2021 Free Agent Stuff

The real is any of these moves makes better than teams above us and stay better than the teams below us??

My answer is the Knicks are in for a rough next 4 to 5 years. Just what I have seen for awhile now and every move says it true.

mafra

Legend
Fournier made sense for this roster bc he?s arguably the best shooter on the market. Duncan Robinson wasn?t leaving MIA? Evan compliments Randle and RJ, bc he spaces the floor and he can create his own offense.

Evan was coach by Thibbs best pal Clifford and Perry was there in ORL when they grabbed the Frenchman.

So, you understand the fit. He?s expensive, as are most free agents. But this isn?t signing Vin Baker.

Knicks had one of the best reserve units in NBA, and the fortified their second string by sighing Rose, AB, & Noel.

I?m other words, this team is a dominant PG away from competing. Sexton or Dame and this team is suddenly in the mix?.

There?s more to come. I guarantee there is a trade in the works. Thibbs has continuity, and he has a roster that will work hard for him. We hat alone is enough to survive regular season and get into playoffs. Not bad to give Randle-RJ a 2 year window to see what they can mature into. Rose has surrounded them with quality players.

Go get Sexton. Wait for Dame. Compete.

Yeah, we add Lillard or Sexton, it certainly makes the end result look better. De?Aaron Fox?s name has come up a couple times now too.

I really think the media has done a disservice by continuing to report the Fournier deal as 4 years, 78 million. That 4th year is a team option and will be the biggest yearly amount in that deal. I don?t think what we?re actually paying, 3 years 58 or so million, is that big a deal at all for an efficient 3 level scorer in his prime who is not a defensive liability and whose value dropped simply because of a month or so of mediocre basketball after getting COVID.

With the addition of Fournier, I?m assuming it makes it more acceptable to our front office to move RJ in a trade for a star player. I still say it is unlikely we make a blockbuster trade, but say we did do it, we now would still have a starting lineup when it?s done.

Last edited:
I just read online that we can wait to complete signing the contract with Derrick Rose using his early Bird rights and go over the cap after using more cap space first.

By doing this, we still 8.8 million in cap space to use this off-season.

Jonathan Macri on Twitter proposed that we could use this cap space and a sign of trade of Kevin Knox to get Dennis Schroder. I?m not necessarily saying we should do this, but certainly interesting the potential for cap manipulation.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, if we sign DS I will weep. I have to believe they have their aspirations set a little higher. But, yes, we could wait and use the Rose money for another signing. We have wiggle room?.

CHI made a run at Rose and BOS wanted EF (at a certain price), so NYK had to go where they went and had to act quickly to get them, or else be left one at the altar? And, without Rose and EF, Randle and RJ would struggle and their development be stunted.

So, now they finally have to find a PG. I think they?ll hard at work? let?s see what they can find.

Add Fox, Sexton, or Dame and the future is bright.

Remember, EF did shoot nearly 50% from downtown for BOS. This is what RJ and Randle need. Bullock couldn?t space the floor?

Hey everybody I know that you get tire of me beating up on the F.O., Thib's and team make-up.

But isn't our 1st problem/issue is to find a #1 option for the offense? We know that Randle is equip to handle that duty and RJ shouldn't even be playing. I'm puzzle by how some think that getting Sexton or Lillard is going to solve any problems. Now I'm not sure if you think Lillard will solve the #1 option problem but I don't see that as a solution. Sexton isn't capable of being the any option because he showed that at Cleveland. So why is there so much excitement around him? At this point and time it obvious the F.O. is desperate to make something happen because of their failures. Drowning people grab after straws!!

Next isn't the 2nd problem/issue the offense/Thibs and how ATL expose all of it weakness? I combine these two because they are one in the same. Thib's has shown to be an old coach with old ideas and offense schemes. Nate McMillan out coach him in every phrase of the game. It was talent it was Thib's had locked himself into the players he been using all year with never a thought that someone else could help the team. Every Player doesn't play good every night. The last time I seen anything that resemble good coaching is when Mike Miller bench the starting five 3 or 4 minutes into the first quarter and put in the second unit. Second unit got the lead and took it into the 4th quarter and the starter lost the game.

Next and maybe this is the most important. The F.O. with Leon Rose and Perry is a problem that will haunt us for the next 5 years. It will take that long for us to realize the problems and mistakes. We should have tank this year because of the talent in the draft. What happen they hope someone would let us into the lottery picks.... Didn't happen. How smart are they?? Now in F.A. they are selling the fans on a myth of a star player coming. Just like the myth two years ago with KD, KI and Zion.

Lastly, letting Frank go is the straw that broke the camel back for me. I have no hope of the Knicks getting better for awhile.

Knicks bring back Taj Gibson on a 1 year 2.7 million dollar deal. For all he gave us last season once MRob got hurt, I?m glad we got him back onboard at such a low price.

Hey everybody I know that you get tire of me beating up on the F.O., Thib's and team make-up.

But isn't our 1st problem/issue is to find a #1 option for the offense? We know that Randle is equip to handle that duty and RJ shouldn't even be playing. I'm puzzle by how some think that getting Sexton or Lillard is going to solve any problems. Now I'm not sure if you think Lillard will solve the #1 option problem but I don't see that as a solution. Sexton isn't capable of being the any option because he showed that at Cleveland. So why is there so much excitement around him? At this point and time it obvious the F.O. is desperate to make something happen because of their failures. Drowning people grab after straws!!

Next isn't the 2nd problem/issue the offense/Thibs and how ATL expose all of it weakness? I combine these two because they are one in the same. Thib's has shown to be an old coach with old ideas and offense schemes. Nate McMillan out coach him in every phrase of the game. It was talent it was Thib's had locked himself into the players he been using all year with never a thought that someone else could help the team. Every Player doesn't play good every night. The last time I seen anything that resemble good coaching is when Mike Miller bench the starting five 3 or 4 minutes into the first quarter and put in the second unit. Second unit got the lead and took it into the 4th quarter and the starter lost the game.

Next and maybe this is the most important. The F.O. with Leon Rose and Perry is a problem that will haunt us for the next 5 years. It will take that long for us to realize the problems and mistakes. We should have tank this year because of the talent in the draft. What happen they hope someone would let us into the lottery picks.... Didn't happen. How smart are they?? Now in F.A. they are selling the fans on a myth of a star player coming. Just like the myth two years ago with KD, KI and Zion.

Lastly, letting Frank go is the straw that broke the camel back for me. I have no hope of the Knicks getting better for awhile.

I feel like by using our cap space, our front office is no longer trying to sell the fans on a myth of a star player coming.

ESPN had an interesting article on the Miami Heat and how they use their cap space on who they can get and then are smart enough to create more cap space down the road to keep upgrading. I?m hoping this is our new model. Get who you can get on deals you can move if something better comes along.

mafra

Legend
That?s what I believe Knicks did, they improved some and are in a position to make a run at the best star (if and when they become available).

We just ensured we have our bench here, with Rose, AB, Noel and Gibson.

Signing Noel and AB means you can include Robinson and IQ in a deal, if they wish.

They could go cheap PG (R.Jax), or sign a more expensive guy (Dennis S), or trade for the answer (Dame, Fox, Sexton, Brunson).

Get a PG and we are vastly improved.

Mitch, IQ, Toppin, Knox and picks? RJ too if it?s Dame

mafra

Legend
DeRoZan to LAK a possibility too.

?I enjoy pressure, I enjoy the spotlight,?? Fournier said after the Tuesday victory, hours after signing with the Knicks at the beginning of free agency Monday. ?They had a good season and they had a really good spot open. I thought I could help. God, it?s freaking New York. You want to be part of something big, you want to have pressure, you want to be a guy that competes every night.?

It was the middle of the night in Tokyo when free agency began and Fournier told his agent he didn?t want to be disturbed.

When he woke up, the 27-year-old said he had a handful offers on the table, including from the Celtics, who acquired him from Orlando at the March deadline.

Fournier said the Celtics were his ?priority? entering the offseason, but then the Knicks came calling.

?I?m glad it?s over,?? Fourner said.

Fournier said he wanted to play for Tom Thibodeau, who is close friends with former Magic head coach Steve Clifford. While in Orlando, current Knicks GM Scott Perry acquired Fournier from Denver for Aaron Afflalo in what turned out to be a steal for the Magic.

According to an Orlando source, Clifford regarded Fournier as among his favorite players to coach. It?s believed Clifford and Thibodeau spoke about Fournier before the Knicks made him the centerpiece of their free agency.

?I?d bet the Knicks signed him because Clifford raved to Thibs about how much Fournier wants to win and is about all the right things,?? the Orlando source said. ?Cliff says that Fournier is one of the toughest players ? mentally and physically ? that he?s ever coached.??

mafra

Legend
Get Dame and we are competing for ECF, get Sexton or Fox and we are a dangerous second round playoff team with a bright future?

1 more move Leon!!!

mafra

Legend
Melo?s kid about to play for Christ the King, so he did think about them. Phelps dunked in me when we lost to CTK in a tourney in Montreal.

I feel like by using our cap space, our front office is no longer trying to sell the fans on a myth of a star player coming.

ESPN had an interesting article on the Miami Heat and how they use their cap space on who they can get and then are smart enough to create more cap space down the road to keep upgrading. I’m hoping this is our new model. Get who you can get on deals you can move if something better comes along.

Doesn't this look similar to two years ago. We had cap space and you see what happen. Got a bunch of vet's(no star) to go along with showcase of F.A. in Randle and RJ.

Miami is vastly different from the Knicks F.O. They have stars in Butler, etc. So they will attack F.A. but it the case with us. Who wants to play with Randle and RJ in the offense we are running. It obvious nobody that can change the scope of this team. What you say sound good but can't see it working in real time.

Do you really think Randle will have the same or better year than last year?
The offense is too one dimensional with everything going thru Randle. It has no versatility... look at how it ran last year. What you going to do put D. Rose at point to start the game and Fournier at the SF? No new PG is going to change the scope or make it better.

We can spin this in a lot of directions to try and make it look good. But the reality are those things above. The draft nor F.A. is something I see making a different in doing better than last year.

** Let's remember the all the teams that normally makes playoff in years pass didn't make it last year. So will that make a different this year??

Doesn't this look similar to two years ago. We had cap space and you see what happen. Got a bunch of vet's(no star) to go along with showcase of F.A. in Randle and RJ.

Miami is vastly different from the Knicks F.O. They have stars in Butler, etc. So they will attack F.A. but it the case with us. Who wants to play with Randle and RJ in the offense we are running. It obvious nobody that can change the scope of this team. What you say sound good but can't see it working in real time.

Do you really think Randle will have the same or better year than last year?
The offense is too one dimensional with everything going thru Randle. It has no versatility... look at how it ran last year. What you going to do put D. Rose at point to start the game and Fournier at the SF? No new PG is going to change the scope or make it better.

We can spin this in a lot of directions to try and make it look good. But the reality are those things above. The draft nor F.A. is something I see making a different in doing better than last year.

** Let's remember the all the teams that normally makes playoff in years pass didn't make it last year. So will that make a different this year??

I don?t think there is a clear route to championship contention for this franchise. We?re forever missing that one transcendent star player that can change that. We?ve tried tanking and still haven?t gotten that guy. I feel like our front office at least gave us a team where we walk into the season saying ?this is a playoff team with upside?.

If Randle can play as well as he did last season, I?ll take it. I would be shocked if he plays better, but you never know.

Kiyaman

Legend
Get Dame and we are competing for ECF, get Sexton or Fox and we are a dangerous second round playoff team with a bright future…

1 more move Leon!!!

Leon Rose first move in the offseason were suppose to be the same type of move the Lakers made at the start of the draft .. Get a HOF PG for next season!
How many season has the Knicks been looking for a decent Starter PG?
In other words, insure that Dame was gonna be a Knicks next season.
Or Dinwiddle was gonna be a healthy Knicks next season.
Or Rondo was gonna be a Knicks next season.
It's July, do you know who will be the Knicks starter PG next season?

What part of Knicks history did Leon Rose miss-out on in the past two decades?
Going out and getting $50M in cap space, then none of the potential FA stars want to be a part of your organization means your gonna pay FA twice what they are worth to sign.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thibs does have a poor winning career as a NBA playoff coach.
So the Knicks losing in 5 games of the playoffs wasn't a surprise.
Now the 21 win season Knicks winning 41 games the next season was a surprise.
But then again, the Knicks won 41 games in EMPTY stadiums, no fans or crowd screaming in the seats.
The same Knicks were 1-4 when the fans were allowed to fill the stadium seats.
So don't expect a .500 season from the 2021-22 Knicks having Randle lead the offense.

mafra

Legend
Knicks offered Dunn more money (which tells me we don?t have a trade up our sleeve for a PG) but Nunn chose LAK instead.

I?m reading that all the deals we signed are team options in their final year. I know this is true for Fournier?s 4 year deal, but I hadn?t heard this for the 3 year deals for Burks, Noel, and Rose. Can anyone else confirm whether or not those are actually 2 year deals with a year 3 team option? That makes a huge difference in the ability to move those deals if necessary.