home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Orlando MagicNew York Knicks
E'Twaun Moore - Left knee sprain (OUT)Mitchell Robinson - Sore left ankle (QUEST)
Michael Carter-Williams - Ligament surgery recovery (OUT)Nerlens Noel - Right knee sprain (OUT)
Markelle Fultz - Left knee surgery (OUT)-
Jonathan Isaac - Left ACL tear (OUT)-

Game Preview

The New York Knicks entered the week ranked as one of the NBA's worst defensive teams, but that designation might be changing.

New York looks to take another step forward Wednesday against the visiting Orlando Magic, who have dropped three straight games and five of six.

The Knicks offered a glimpse of their defensive potential in Monday's 92-84 victory over Indiana, outscoring the Pacers in the fourth quarter 23-10.

"I liked the energy from the team on both sides of the ball," New York coach Tom Thibodeau said. "I thought we played really hard defensively, and offensively there was great movement and great pace. We play like that, we'll have a great chance to win."

Immanuel Quickley and Kemba Walker scored 16 points apiece for the Knicks, who ended a two-game skid.

Forward Julius Randle is averaging 20.3 points and 10.4 rebounds, but he has scored a mere total of 37 points in his last three games while shooting 33.3 percent from the field.

New York may need to start veteran Taj Gibson at center against Orlando after Mitchell Robinson exited Monday's contest with a sore left ankle. Backup Nerlens Noel has missed the last three games due to a sprained right knee.

Gibson has been a key part of the Knicks' bench, which has outshined the team's starting lineup on most nights. Derrick Rose, Alec Burks and Obi Toppin have joined Quickley and Gibson to become one of the league's top second units.

Quickley missed 22 of his first 28 3-pointers this season but has made 15 of his last 28 shots from beyond the arc. His teammates have been impressed by the second-year guard's development.

"He has the demeanor of a 10-year veteran," Gibson said. "You can tell by the way that he comes into practice every day. He just is built for the NBA. We get frustrated when he doesn't shoot the big shot and that is how much we believe in him."

Orlando began a five-game, seven-day road trip on Monday.

Guard Cole Anthony is averaging 20.2 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.6 assists to lead the Magic. Anthony recorded his third double-double of the season with 29 points and 11 assists in Monday's 129-111 loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

The Magic have lost 11 of their first 14 games but turned in an encouraging outing against Atlanta, leading for most of the first half.

"We're a young team that won't take anything from anybody," Orlando center Mo Bamba said. "We just want to be a smash-mouth team, making winning plays for not only themselves, but for each other. It's truly a domino effect."

Orlando rookie guard Jalen Suggs sat out Monday's game with a high-ankle sprain and is listed as day-to-day. Suggs is averaging 11.3 points in 28.1 minutes per game.

Veteran Gary Harris started in place of Suggs on Monday and scored eight points in 30 minutes.

Orlando, which defeated the Knicks 110-104 at Madison Square Garden on Oct. 24, ranks 28th in the league in scoring at 99.9 points per game.

Rookie forward Franz Wagner has been one of the team's bright spots, averaging 13.4 points while shooting 37.1 percent from 3-point range.

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Saw a Rockets game, that team is absolute trash. Magic are not much better, utter embarrassment if they lose the game tonight. I do want to see some adjustments in the rotation, maybe put the second unit in for more minutes or have Fournier come off the bench and start Burks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... So we blow this team out and then the next game they come back and smack us around, but I just read this, and I hope Thibs does too.
Of the 30 most used lineups thus far, only the lowly Rockets and Thunder play groups who have performed worse than the Knicks' starting double-tandem of Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, RJ Barrett, Julius Randle (minus-16.2 points per 100 possessions). On the other end of the spectrum, Orlando's starting five of Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, Wendell Carter, and Mo Bamba - with an average age of just 21.2 - boasts a net rating (plus-15.4) only bested by two of the 30 most played groups.
Thankfully for our tandem D.Rose & Taj Gibson leadership over our future star tandem Obi & Quickley in a lineup.
Tiger .. Burks may do better in the Starter lineup, and Fournier may have a few seasons highs in the bench lineup ball-movement.

Kiyaman

Legend
Luv watching the Knicks 2nd unit lineup .. Two alleyoop Dunks for Toppin, a quick 3 by IQ, and a around the basket layup by Burks .. 2 min in the 2nd qtr. 30-23 Knicks !!!

mafra

Legend
Awful end to first half. 48-44 NyK. Randle fouled with 30 seconds left in half or so. Is it 3 shots? A flagrant and the ball?

Nope. Just a common foul.meander misses a FT. We allow a 3?.

49-47.

We come down and miss a shot then allow a Cole Anthony 3 as half expires.

50-49 ORL at the half

mafra

Legend
Knicks 6-22 from downtown. They?ve taken a total of 42 shots

ORL is 7-21 from downtown.

If we keep settling for threes, we will fall to 1-2 vs worse team in EC

Kiyaman

Legend
Half-Time .. Knicks 49 - Magics 50
Not liking the tandem of Randle & RJ no movement without the ball on offense, and their weak defense.
Why didn't we run the P&R with MitchRob & Obi every time?
MitchRob & Obi & Bamba should have double-digit scoring before the half SMH
I was liking the few seconds of Obi & MitchRob in the lineup vs Bamba.
Bamba was taking advantage of Randle weak defense SMH

mafra

Legend
When will Thibbs learn? our starters cannot play the third Q. Every game they do, we lose! Come on?.

What?s with third Q at MSG this year? I wonder how bad we?ve been out scores in the third Q at MSG!

At least Thibbs benched all 4 bums.

mafra

Legend
15 games into season and NYK are 0-2 vs Magic, the worst team in EC

This tells tells me NYK closer to bottom 4 than top 4.

Can?t take them seriously.

Evan F has to be worse signing since Jerome James. My lord.

Again, this season is done. Trade them all. Let?s see what Feb trade deadline and draft/free agency bring.

They fooled me after last OrL loss. Not this time. I?ll be around but my eyes will not watch a single minute.

ORL sweeps their MSG games this season. Did I mention ORL worse team in NBA?

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, we all know now Randle is not a Center or PF, especially on defense.
MitchRob had us the Knicks WIN if he would've last 2 more minutes.
Taj would've had the win

mafra

Legend
Knicks were 6-20 from downtown at the half. They were repeating the same thing they did a few Sundays ago when they lost to ORL at MSG

I said at halftime they better work and not settle for 3s in second half or they would lose?.

They shot 5-18 from downtown in second half but that?s only because they hit a bunch to start 4th?. They shot terribly from deep in third? 1-9!!!! basically, came out after half and wasn?t ready to grind for a win. They only wanted to win if it was easy, and their 3s fell?.

ORL stayed in game bc NY bc Knicks missed 28 threes. Made 11. So, Magic said Thanks? we will take the win. Finish game on 18-6 run.

Why Rose passed on Cole Anthony. Big mistake.

Evan scored 5 points tonight! Can we send him to G League? I refuse to watch another game until Evan is gone. I?ll listen to radio? but I am done!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The final 4 minute of the game when the Knicks had control of the tempo we were suppose to shoot 2 pt shots .. Not the stupid 3-ball shots .... As soon as Randle entered the game, the Magic put Bamba back into the game, the Knicks had 94-91 lead and the ball .... And flashes of a Knicks loss kept bothering me every second of those 4 min !!!

mafra

Legend
Putting Randle back in a huge mistake. Same with Rose. Brutal turnover at end?

Chicago gave DeRozan 3/85 and we have Evan 4/78