Game thread: New York Knicks @ Atlanta Hawks 11/27/2021 7:30pm [Game #20]

mafra

Legend
RJ was solid; AB and Fournie stepped up? Sims and Obi helping out. A pretty easy and surprising win for the Knicks in ATL, vs a hot Hawks squad.

Cam and DeAndre Hunter a nice consolation from that Zion-Ja-RJ draft, but didn?t help much in this game.

Gives you hope they found a way today? keep treading water!

Oh, is it obvious? Start AB over Kemba!

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ was solid; AB and Fournie stepped up? Sims and Obi helping out. A pretty easy and surprising win for the Knicks in ATL, vs a hot Hawks squad.

Cam and DeAndre Hunter a nice consolation from that Zion-Ja-RJ draft, but didn?t help much in this game.

Gives you hope they found a way today? keep treading water!

Oh, is it obvious? Start AB over Kemba!

The Knicks won tonight on Thibs not letting Randle run the offense on every Knicks offensive-possession .. I was shock when I seen two consistent Knicks offensive-possession and Randle did not get a touch of the ball on either possession. That, plus Burks & Quickley running the point had to throw a big hammer in the Knicks scouting report for coach McMillian.

mafra

Legend
I think they found something. Make no mistake, KIYA, as soon as the opportunity presents itself? Randle and RJ will be more oddball players. And that?s a good thing!

A beautiful sight to behold, bearing ATL and Randle had 8 points and 4 assists.

AB and EF should be the starting backcourt? let them go to work, and play off one another.

IQ locked down Young in the 4th?

How about that alley-oops from Grimes to Obi! Oh my!!!

It?s a good thing if somebody steps up, demands the rock, and become the primary option?

Let Grimes become the AB role with the second unit? sit Kemba.

mafra

Legend
Marc Berman / NY Post

The Knicks hung with the Hawks and even led 28-27 after one. Uncannily, the Knicks pulled away into a 10-point lead with Randle on the bench ? boosted by a mostly young lineup similar to the one that starred during the Las Vegas summer league in August.

Barrett joined four of the summer-leaguers ? Immanuel Quickley, rookie Quentin Grimes, Toppin and Sims ? in one sharp alignment.

The Knicks built a 10-point late in the second quarter with their young legs. Sims registered two blocks and a put-back dunk. Grimes, on a fast break, tossed up with one hand a high alley-oop lob that Toppin rammed home in circus-like fashion.

In another instance, Quickley, who had nine points and seven assists, threw a home-run ball for Toppin for an easy dunk ahead of the field, lifting the lead to 10. It was 47-37 and all was finally right.

The Knicks lost their momentum, however, when Randle checked back into the game with 2:35 left before halftime. The Hawks closed the half on a 12-1 run. Young led the surge with a long 3-pointer and a floater and had 22 points at halftime. The Knicks clamped down in the second half, holding the Hawks to 14 points in the fourth quarter.

?It was a great win, especially after last night to come in and bounce back the second night,?? Barrett said.

Thibodeau had stressed the importance of responding after the loss to the Suns.

?We played hard,?? Thibodeau said. That was the first thing we wanted to get established. They missed shots they normally make but we were flying around.??

metrocard

Legend
Kemba is arguably our most lethal shooter. He's obviously going to get rest days, but ruling him out of the rotation will only set us back as other teams have 5-6 guys who can lite it up from the perimeter. Kemba will always be a vital asset on this team.

Averages 43% FG 41% with a very low turnover ratio. Of course it's the worst season of his career (60% health), but playing him will only turn it around this season. It can benefit our team in the long run into the playoffs where Kemba has experience in and isn't a slouch.

Kemba can be the 2011 Jason Terry to a team who's just meshing and we stand in the middle of offense/defense (we are ranked 16th in both). We're still forming an identity as a defensive team who added offensive weapons and we are clearly trying to mesh that.

Grimes has a lot of sniper potential and seems to have an awareness on the court that would fit us.

However, we need a wing player like Knox to come in and step up to the plate finally. Rose is trying to heal up and I would like to see Grimes/Knox play together with Quickley and Toppin.

I know Knox has been terrible, his length/size/speed would help us in match ups, Knox can D up. He's more of a traditional SF than we have on our roster. It would bring some type of balance.

No to Ben Simmons, he's a soft and not made for winning basketball. Giving up on a Philly team that is stacked is just pathetic and we should end the notion that Simmons would make us improve. Certainly his defense/passing is an asset. But having Simmons on the floor with Robinson will exploit us offensively and defensively.

I would be on board for Ben if he wasn't such a dramaqueen and didn't bail on his team.

Kiya, what makes you think Simmons would be loyal to NY if he can't even be loyal to the team who nursed his injuries, tank for SEASONS so Ben can finally play a game and mesh with 76ers and built the entire team around Ben's weaknesses? Ben in NY would be a career killer if his career isn't dead already. Of course he's an elite talent, who else is going to be 6"11 and average 14ppg + 7apg + 7pg+ with defense? I see your vision on this, but it will only add more drama and mess to NY and the media will eat that up.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I understand your opinion on Ben, metro. They are valid concerns, but my thing is, your co-workers, no matter what profession it is, should never throw you under the bus. It's toxic. What his "teammates" did, Embiid and Doc, is pretty bad to get over, especially doing it over and over again. Ben is willing to lose a lot of money just to be away from them. I don't blame him. If he wasn't getting fined and was getting paid to not play, then that's different, because there's so many people in this world living paycheck to paycheck doing what they hate. But, maybe he doesn't want to be around teammates who don't have the class to even keep in it in the locker room. After that game 7 loss to the Hawks Doc and Embiid showed no respect to Ben, while Ben admitted he needed to be better (don't remember exactly what he said exactly).

I'm not saying Ben is 100% right here. I don't know him personally and what goes on behind the scenes, but I don't think this is just him being a drama queen. If I worked somewhere and somebody threw me under the bus publicly I wouldn't want to give them my services either no matter how much they paid me.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
How long has Ben been in NBA? He still can?t shoot a FT. Every issue he has stems from that, bc it is the main reason PhI can?t have him on the floor to close games (bc teams foul him).

For example, RJ improved his FT from year 1 to year 2!

My question with Ben: does he want to be great. It?s not hard making NCAA Tourny? almost 70 teams qualify. Ben couldn?t get LSU into Tourny. He?s not a winner.

Does he want to be great or be Hollywood? Is he content just being in NBA?

If you believe he wants to be great?
To win? not just get paid and play in NBA? the take a chance if you get him 75 cents on the dollar.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kemba is arguably our most lethal shooter. He's obviously going to get rest days, but ruling him out of the rotation will only set us back as other teams have 5-6 guys who can lite it up from the perimeter. Kemba will always be a vital asset on this team.

Averages 43% FG 41% with a very low turnover ratio. Of course it's the worst season of his career (60% health), but playing him will only turn it around this season. It can benefit our team in the long run into the playoffs where Kemba has experience in and isn't a slouch.

Kemba can be the 2011 Jason Terry to a team who's just meshing and we stand in the middle of offense/defense (we are ranked 16th in both). We're still forming an identity as a defensive team who added offensive weapons and we are clearly trying to mesh that.

Grimes has a lot of sniper potential and seems to have an awareness on the court that would fit us.

However, we need a wing player like Knox to come in and step up to the plate finally. Rose is trying to heal up and I would like to see Grimes/Knox play together with Quickley and Toppin.

I know Knox has been terrible, his length/size/speed would help us in match ups, Knox can D up. He's more of a traditional SF than we have on our roster. It would bring some type of balance.

No to Ben Simmons, he's a soft and not made for winning basketball. Giving up on a Philly team that is stacked is just pathetic and we should end the notion that Simmons would make us improve. Certainly his defense/passing is an asset. But having Simmons on the floor with Robinson will exploit us offensively and defensively.

I would be on board for Ben if he wasn't such a dramaqueen and didn't bail on his team.

Kiya, what makes you think Simmons would be loyal to NY if he can't even be loyal to the team who nursed his injuries, tank for SEASONS so Ben can finally play a game and mesh with 76ers and built the entire team around Ben's weaknesses? Ben in NY would be a career killer if his career isn't dead already. Of course he's an elite talent, who else is going to be 6"11 and average 14ppg + 7apg + 7pg+ with defense? I see your vision on this, but it will only add more drama and mess to NY and the media will eat that up.

Wsup Metro .. Ben Simmons player/coach/leadership took a 5 season Lottery 76ers team to the playoff. Ben is 10 times better than Kemba at the PG/SG position.
Embiid playing a half a season of games was not the player that gave the 76ers success the past 4 seasons.
And coach Doc did not bring success to Boston, or the Lottery Clippers, GM Ainge Big-3 did that for Boston (Thibs defense won a championship), and the same way Chris Paul player/coach/leadership took the forever Lottery Suns team to the Finals, well Chris Paul performance change a career Lottery Clippers team into a playoff team.
Recall, as a Clipper Chris Paul made sure he was injured when the postseason games started LMAO

I fell in luv with the Knicks 4th quarter rotation, I got a little frighten when Thibs took Obi out the game having 5 min remaining in the game for Randle. Those 5 min Randle did well on defense with Quickley defending Trae Young PnR to just 2 pts, and the Knicks held the Hawks team to 14 pts in the 4th quarter. GO Knicks GO !!!