Game thread: New York Knicks vs Indiana Pacers 1/4/2021 7:30pm [Game #38]

mafra

Legend
Obi and IQ blow a fast break. Brutal. Washington then gets fouled?.

Our bench can?t even outplay a bench of players on 10-day hardship contracts. Lance Stephenson for heavens sake.

Evan and AB useless. Sure, once a month they?ll be good?.

mafra

Legend
In essence, officials calling a foul on NYK every trip down the floor. Methinks a memo was received?.

mafra

Legend
Knicks 6-26 from downtown? they just refuse to go strong to basket? settle settle and settle?

So, either they hit 2-3 threes and they?ll win? or they?ll go 1-6 and lose.

Stop shooting the 3!!!!!

Randle stepping up huge. Draining long range jumper after long range jumper over Sabonis. Randle, RJ, Burks, and MRob trying to bring this game home. Be great if Quickley could get something going too.

RJ has the big 1st quarter. Randle has the big 2nd half. RJ finishes with 32. Randle finishes with 30.

Our best players win us a game we couldn?t afford to lose against a short handed game.

mafra

Legend
If the Knicks lost, and in the manner it was headed (being beaten by a collection of non-nba guards)? brutal. I mean, it?s one things if Sabonis goes 28-11-6 and Turner drains 6 threes, but to watch those no-name back court mates look like Clyde and Pearl?

Enough of Evan!

mafra

Legend
Randle and RJ reverted to last year?s duo?. For a night? A blip? Or, did time off?. reinvigorate?

It was about this time, when I felt they were teetering on edge of plummeting out of things, that they straightened the ship?

BIG game vs BOS? 7 teams fighting for 4 bubble spots.

mafra

Legend
How bad is Evan? Evan F- went 0-4 from the field in 22 minutes and finished with zero points?

Meanwhile, Sparked by their emergency starting guard Kiefer Sykes and his 16 points, the Pacers were even with the Knicks at the half?

Undrafted in 2015, Sykes had mustered 12 points in his NBA career in just three previous NBA games. His anonymous career has been spent in the G-League, Turkey, Italy and Australia.

And Sykes became a sterling shotmaker, drilling 4 of 8 3-pointers and finishing with 20 points..

What happened?

Are you seriously kidding me? Thibbs said AB played well. Evan? Sykes and Washington and Craig sound like a CPA firm.

39-10 Indy (starting PG/SG)
14-6 NYK (starting PG/SG)

Points-assists.

100 mil in salary vs 100k

Their dynamic hardship duo produced 33 more points! 33!!!! In NY! Evan and AB should be embarrassed. They should lose their jobs!

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ has the big 1st quarter. Randle has the big 2nd half. RJ finishes with 32. Randle finishes with 30.

Our best players win us a game we couldn?t afford to lose against a short handed game.

The tandem perfomance of Randle to RJ, and RJ to Randle on offense all game almost didn't work coming down the stretch, the two combine for over half the FG shots taken by the team tonight .. for a combine 62 pts.
Randle & Barrett did not have to play 40 & 42 min of playing time for the Knicks to win vs Sabonis & Turners G.League teammates.
Well, we know the growth of the 2nd season Obi Toppin is not on coach Thibs agenda this season, nor is rookie PG Deuce-Deuce.
Giving Obi Toppin 9 min of playing time tonight (on return of Randle). after receiving 45 min in the previous game, where he had to deal with Barrett trying to run the offense with a shoot first attitude, when our rookie PG Deuce only receive 15 min in the game, and 3 min tonight .. In Thibs 9 man rotation.

tiger0330

Legend
Beating that depleted Pacers squad without Brogdan, Duarte, Lavert and others was no test for the Knicks but without JR we may have lost this game. COVID rosters upending predictions of who will win a game, many games the outcome will come down to who has the fewest guys in the protocol. RJ with the 19 pts in the first qtr at 21 tells me he can be a future AS, we hope he develops the consistency and he might if he attacks the rim like he did in the first as well as taking the wide open 3 pt shot.

Kiyaman

Legend
Beating that depleted Pacers squad without Brogdan, Duarte, Lavert and others was no test for the Knicks but without JR we may have lost this game. COVID rosters upending predictions of who will win a game, many games the outcome will come down to who has the fewest guys in the protocol. RJ with the 19 pts in the first qtr at 21 tells me he can be a future AS, we hope he develops the consistency and he might if he attacks the rim like he did in the first as well as taking the wide open 3 pt shot.

Wsup Tiger .. No hard feelings, but RJ Barrett average 32 minute of playing time, plus average 14 fg shot attempts per game for THREE NBA season. And yesterday game were Barrett's 2nd 30 pt game of his career SMH
For three NBA seasons, Barrett never helped any of his teammates score, and they returned the favor.
The two games without Randle, Barrett should've average 35 pts in each game !!!
Yesterday, Barrett got a lot of help from Randle feeding him, and screening & clearing the lane for Barrett throughout the 2nd half to score 6 more pts to have a 30 pt game. Recall RJ scored 24 pts in first half. Barrett is not a 2nd half high scorer or defensive stop player.

At 21, having 3 yrs experience as a NBA starter/finisher RJ Barrett has no team-ball talent in his skills.
Barrett's poor-poor passing-skills, and no chemistry with any of his teammates in 3 NBA seasons.
Lot's of NBA coaches don't see worth or value in RJ Barrett's type of performance. So trading Barrett won't give the Knicks a fare return. So the Knicks organization are gonna HYPE any big performance RJ Barrett have this season.

tiger0330

Legend
Wsup Tiger .. No hard feelings, but RJ Barrett average 32 minute of playing time, plus average 14 fg shot attempts per game for THREE NBA season. And yesterday game were Barrett's 2nd 30 pt game of his career SMH
For three NBA seasons, Barrett never helped any of his teammates score, and they returned the favor.
The two games without Randle, Barrett should've average 35 pts in each game !!!
Yesterday, Barrett got a lot of help from Randle feeding him, and screening & clearing the lane for Barrett throughout the 2nd half to score 6 more pts to have a 30 pt game. Recall RJ scored 24 pts in first half. Barrett is not a 2nd half high scorer or defensive stop player.

At 21, having 3 yrs experience as a NBA starter/finisher RJ Barrett has no team-ball talent in his skills.
Barrett's poor-poor passing-skills, and no chemistry with any of his teammates in 3 NBA seasons.
Lot's of NBA coaches don't see worth or value in RJ Barrett's type of performance. So trading Barrett won't give the Knicks a fare return. So the Knicks organization are gonna HYPE any big performance RJ Barrett have this season.
Not sure why you loved Ntilikina when he was here the way you criticize RJ. RJ with 3x the potential that Nits has, haven?t really followed Nits since he?s been in DAL but I bet if he is playing it?s because of COVID and he?s averaging less than 8ppg but playing steady but unspectacular D with less than 1 block and 1 steal a game. Going to look up what Mr. Ntilikina is doing in DAL after I post this.

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure why you loved Ntilikina when he was here the way you criticize RJ. RJ with 3x the potential that Nits has, haven?t really followed Nits since he?s been in DAL but I bet if he is playing it?s because of COVID and he?s averaging less than 8ppg but playing steady but unspectacular D with less than 1 block and 1 steal a game. Going to look up what Mr. Ntilikina is doing in DAL after I post this.
5.1ppg on a combined 36% shooting. .7 steals .1 blocks. His game logs show he started 5 games recently which supports my theory that because of COVID he?s getting playing time replacing some of the players out in the protocol. Still surprised that he?s not out of the league like Lance Stephenson with production like that.

Did Frank have the same OPPORTUNTIES as RJ?Where the people that drafted Frank there to Hype and start him for 3 years??
Did Frank beat out 7 vet in preseason and training camp? But finishes dead last in ROY balloting.... OR couldn't make any of the 3 rookie teams!! No Frank didn't but RJ did!!
**How does a rookie beat out 7 vet for 2 starting positions but can't beat out his peers for any Rookie awards? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS??

If you been watching the Mav's games then maybe you would have a different take on Frank. He is still being played out of position(SG) but is playing with more confident. Never having the green light to shoot when he wanted but having to give the ball up when he cross half court line say's alot about coaches and the system.

** I could go on but Frank was setup to fail. Some of you have no idea what it is to play to a stack deck. See when you are trying to show that you know something but the person you replacing have better credentials. You have to go beyond the norm. Maybe you remember those clowns taking the Knicks to bottom of the NBA with a 'Pipe Dream' for Glory. It didn't HAPPEN!! What you end up with is RJ and a bunch of F.A.(not Zion, KD, or KI).

Bottom line is this... when you compare both Frank and RJ(which isn't possible) why not be FAIR?? When the playing field is level then talk and that can't happen now. See Frank has no sponsors or people that are in his corner. As I said before in the questions... Frank sponsors were gone before he set foot on a NBA floor. RJ sponsors decided that instead of Frank having an MVP PG to teach him the ropes of the NBA. They decided to give him a Journeyman PG. Now RJ sponsors gave(NOT EARNED) him everything and still that isn't enough for those that voted for ROY and All-Rookie teams said NO to the HYPE. 'Go fool someone else!!

BTW, why didn't you address Kiya concerns... "Not making any of his teammates better", etc? Instead like most you turn it to poor Frank... Take your frustrations out on someone else... leaving Frank alone... He has suffered enough from those that didn't give him an equal chance. I said EQUAL!!

Kiyaman

Legend
5.1ppg on a combined 36% shooting. .7 steals .1 blocks. His game logs show he started 5 games recently which supports my theory that because of COVID he?s getting playing time replacing some of the players out in the protocol. Still surprised that he?s not out of the league like Lance Stephenson with production like that.

Wsup Tiger .. DR made a good point, the situation with Frank as a Knicks has fallen on Kemba Walker this season (set up to fail).
The reason I was not impressed with RJ Barrett performance vs the Pacers, were RJ LOSER performance against OKC & Raptors.