What will New York do with Pick #6?

nyk24

Rookie
Lets think practically here...

Its no secret that Lebron James can opt out in the summer of 2010. So everything we do has to be geared toward getting him here. From here on out, everything has to appeal to Lebron.

1) Donnie Walsh is a smart guy and a good GM who can build around him.

2) Mike D'Antoni is an offensive guru and has turned people into stars with his system. Like Quentin Richardson, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw, Shawn Marion, etc. Lebron would love to play for him.

3) New York is and always will be the biggest media market in the game.

So what we need to do is build around him even though he's not here. First off, we have to get rid of both Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry. If Mo Cheeks wants ZBo, we ship him off to Philly along with the 6th pick for expiring contracts, their first rounder and a second round pick. Here's an example. We trade Zach Randolph and the 6th pick for Andre Miller, Rodney Carney, 16th pick, and a second rounder.Mo Cheeks would get to work with Randolph again, we'd get two players whose contracts expire soon, along with whatever rookies we draft. DeAndre Jordan could be available at 16 and if he isn't we can trade up to get him. Maybe dangle Curry in there. Its possible for us to trade both these guys on draft night. The Celtics made that monster trade for Ray Allen last season. Why can't we? And Billy Knight, the Sixers GM stepped down. What better time to take advantage.

We can sit around and wait to see what we get at 6. Maybe we get lucky with Mayo. Maybe we take Augustin.

We can trade up and do more harm than good by trying to get Derrick Rose.

Or we can try to get this team ready for Lebron by getting rid of the dead weight.

Kiyaman

Legend
Oh no! what.... I say what is Walsh going to do now with the 6th pick?
Should he trade it with one of the dead-weight Knick players for a later pick? or ?

1. Chicago
2. Miami
3. Minnesota
4. Seattle
5. Memphis
6. New York
7. LA Clippers
8. Milwaukee
9. Charlotte
10. New Jersey
11. Indiana
12. Sacramento
13. Portland
14. Golden State

Following is the order for the remainder of the 2008 NBA Draft:

15. Atlanta (To Phoenix)
16. Philadelphia
17. Toronto
18. Washington
19. Cleveland
20. Denver
21. Dallas (To New Jersey)
22. Orlando
23. Utah
24. Phoenix (To Seattle)
25. Houston
26. San Antonio
27. New Orleans
28. LA Lakers (To Memphis)
29. Detroit
30. Boston

2008 Second Round Draft Choice Order:

31. Miami (To Minnesota via Boston)
32. Seattle
33. Memphis (To Portland)
34. Minnesota*
35. LA Clippers
36. New York (To Portland)
37. Milwaukee
38. Charlotte
39. Chicago
40. New Jersey
41. Indiana
42. Atlanta (To Sacramento)
43. Sacramento
44. Philadelphia (To Utah)
45. Toronto (To San Antonio)
46. Portland (To Seattle via Boston)
47. Washington
48. Cleveland (To Phoenix)
49. Golden State
50. Denver (To Seattle)
51. Dallas
52. Orlando (To Miami)
53. Utah
54. Houston
55. Phoenix (To Portland via Indiana)
56. New Orleans (To Seattle via Houston)
57. San Antonio
58. LA Lakers
59. Detroit
60. Boston<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

New New York

Quiet Storm
I know this might sound nuts!! Keep the pick and draft Danoli Gilladari from Italy!!

I would only keep this pick if we trade away some players. Here is a realistic trade scenerio

Jamal Crawford
Zach
Wilson Chandler or #6 pick

for

Pavolovic
Wally Z
Damon Jones

I would let the Cavs have their pick this year, but take their (unprotected) 2010 pick from them, to me moving these big contracts is as good as getting the #1 or 2

I like Wilson Chandler and I know everyone thinks Jamal is going to be an All Star with D'antoni, but we have to start trading away good players to better our future. This move would put us at 38 million dollars at the start of the 2009/2010 season! The space created by this move would give us a consitent rotation, we would be a competive team in the East so we could begin to lure players in.

Steph/Nate
Q/Wally/Damon Jones
Gallanari or Wilson Chandler/Wally
D. Lee/Balkman
Curry/Lee

Probably carve out 35-38 wins next year.

jimkcchief88

All Star
This is exactly the reason why you don't throw games down the stretch. Because the draft lottery is what it is, a lottery. Please no more guards that need the ball in their hands so that rules out Gordon and Mayo. Also we don't need the next big thing from Europe either. What we need is a shooter that can work without the ball in his hands, get open and knockdown the jumpers when he gets the ball. I wish Curry was coming out but since that's not happening, we need to take the best pure shooter on the board or best interior defender like Hibbert from G-town.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i say the knicks keep the pick, get rid of curry, draft a good defensive minded big man, tank the 08-09 season, an draft another good point guard for when marbury leaves...trade away q.rich an j.jeff for draft picks...get under the cap.

Toons

is the Bo$$
ur right, just my idea of where we need to go....ok, let me be realistic. New york firstly drafts Kevin Love....19 year old, 6'9 (maybe 6'10) PF freshman who ranked 2nd in all PF's. Allow D.lee to start @ PF and have love comming off of the bench. Love averaged 17pts, 10 rebs 1.7 blocks and 0.7 steals...he moves his feet, and would be a great back up for d.lee. Now we wonder where would z.randolph go? thats where we trade zach randolph and q.rich to philly for reggie evans (defense and hustle), thaddy young and maybe an unprotected pick and, or cash. after a simple move like this, the knicks instantly gain more heart and hustle with the growth of balkman and d.lee, chandler...anyone hear from r. morris? i think this move would give us instant youth, a more manageble balance of offense and defense, and a whole lot more heart. what do u guys think?

Almost Enough :)

I think the Knicks should hold on to their pick. If we can get DJ Augustine, Anthony Randolph, DeAndre Jordan, or Kevin Love, the Knicks still might be able to establish a starting lineup that can get us 30 wins next year. 30 wins is still crappy. However, it's still an improvement from the 23 wins the Knicks finished with this year.
:agreed:
However, if a team is stupid enough to take Curry or Quentin Richardson's large contract, then I would trade the pick away.

Great draft choices abcd but the problem is that we need a combination of 2 of these players and currently only have 1 pick :(

I'd love to have R.Westbrook and J.McGee or DJ Augustine and DeAndre Jordan that would make my day :)

I can definately see the knicks take Jordan at this peak.

He reminds me off Stoudamire, and with D'Antoni, I think he will be interested in it.
:agreed:
I doubt we will trade it, and get a higher pick.

It would cost us to much

I was hoping at worst to stay at 5. No Rose, no Mayo, no Bayless, no Lopez.

Wow.

I can't see the Knicks taking Augustine, but they probably should. I'd rather him over the Europen guy.
:agreed: DJ is a True PG!

Wow.

Its no secret that Lebron James can opt out in the summer of 2010. So everything we do has to be geared toward getting him here. From here on out, everything has to appeal to Lebron.

1) Donnie Walsh is a smart guy and a good GM who can build around him.

2) Mike D'Antoni is an offensive guru and has turned people into stars with his system. Like Quentin Richardson, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw, Shawn Marion, etc. Lebron would love to play for him.

3) New York is and always will be the biggest media market in the game.

So what we need to do is build around him even though he's not here. First off, we have to get rid of both Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry. If Mo Cheeks wants ZBo, we ship him off to Philly along with the 6th pick for expiring contracts, their first rounder and a second round pick. Here's an example. We trade Zach Randolph and the 6th pick for Andre Miller, Rodney Carney, 16th pick, and a second rounder.Mo Cheeks would get to work with Randolph again, we'd get two players whose contracts expire soon, along with whatever rookies we draft. DeAndre Jordan could be available at 16 and if he isn't we can trade up to get him. Maybe dangle Curry in there. Its possible for us to trade both these guys on draft night. The Celtics made that monster trade for Ray Allen last season. Why can't we? And Billy Knight, the Sixers GM stepped down. What better time to take advantage.

We can sit around and wait to see what we get at 6. Maybe we get lucky with Mayo. Maybe we take Augustin.

We can trade up and do more harm than good by trying to get Derrick Rose.

Or we can try to get this team ready for Lebron by getting rid of the dead weight.

:agreed: Great post!

dre48ny

Rotation player
Augustine got burnt by Rose in the NCAA tourney, it wasn't even close!! Jordan might be a safer pick, yet who know if he is a franchise changer. They need to listen to offers and perhaps trade out those terrible contracts. Maybe they can even get a 2nd round pick and get CDR from Memphis. He is a big SG, something we lack!!

If Bayless or Mayo should drop enough so we could take them at 6, so be it. If they don't, trading up is always an option.
There are some GMs, who wouldn't mind having Zach's or Curry's fat asses on their teams.

I would only keep this pick if we trade away some players. Here is a realistic trade scenerio

Jamal Crawford
Zach
Wilson Chandler or #6 pick

for

Pavolovic
Wally Z
Damon Jones

I would let the Cavs have their pick this year, but take their (unprotected) 2010 pick from them, to me moving these big contracts is as good as getting the #1 or 2

I like Wilson Chandler and I know everyone thinks Jamal is going to be an All Star with D'antoni, but we have to start trading away good players to better our future. This move would put us at 38 million dollars at the start of the 2009/2010 season! The space created by this move would give us a consitent rotation, we would be a competive team in the East so we could begin to lure players in.

Steph/Nate
Q/Wally/Damon Jones
Gallanari or Wilson Chandler/Wally
D. Lee/Balkman
Curry/Lee

Probably carve out 35-38 wins next year.

Well, yeah. But trading Zach, Craw, and the 6th pick to Cleveland wouldn't surround LBJ with much better teammates? And wouldn't that actually make him want to STAY in Cleveland?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I know this might sound nuts!! Keep the pick and draft Danoli Gilladari from Italy!!

Yeah, I agree. It seems like the perfect fit. He's the ideal player for D'Antoni's style and we desperately need a small forward. I like Wilson Chandler but I just don't see him ever being a starter in the NBA. I like Balkman too, but he is too much of a liability at the offensive end. All of the other players in the draft don't have as much experience as Gallinari and I think there are too many SGs in a PGs body. We already have enough of those.

I'm not a fan of the D'Antoni hiring (I prefer a defensive team) but I'm willing to embrace the run-and-gun style. We might as well start getting players that fit that style. And those of you that think D'Antoni will change his style are fooling yourselves. He wants a run-and-gun team. Draft Danilo Gallinari this year and Ricky Rubio next year. It will be like having a Euro All-Star team.

PG - Ricky Rubio
SG - trade for a defensive/athletic player
SF - Gallinari
PF - Lee
C - trade for defensive/athletic player

umynot

Benchwarmer
Why is no one even checking these Europeans out before judging him??

Both these kids Isiah is scouting look like the real deal!!! More NBA ready then anyone else in this year draft!! Beasley can score for sure but the Italian kid will score more in the NBA!

And how can some of you knock Europeans??? Some of Our best players in this league are from Europe. Tony Parker ( France ) Dirk ( Germany) Gasol ( Spain ) and there are plenty more!! Man Nash is from Canada!! Ginnobli from Argetina!! Yao from China!! Both these guys are those type of stars in the making!!!

We need a future even if Lebron does choose to come play for us!! Imagine having Lebron on the same team with a Dirk type of Big? Someone who bombs away from 3!! Someone who has handles like Ginnobli!! Runs like Nash!!
Would that not be nice????

I feel as though there are still major contributions that can be made to the knicks with this number 6 pick just not the superstar additions everyone hoped for. I believe that a playoff team is built from its point guard or big men positions. This said why not draft one of the multiple talented big men at 6. My personal favorites here is an athletic 7 footer who can run the floor and has so much of an upside, Deandre Jordan, and if not him how about a very athletic promising PF in Anthony Randolph. We have been stuck behind big men like zack randolph and curry for too long that we dont even remember how nice it is to have your bigmen running the floor throwing it down. Then to compliment this pick i say you make a trade to the sixers if all the rumors are true and cheeks is interested in randolph. Trade randolph and whoever else necessary within reaon for andre miller and their first round pick. miller gives you a quick fix at the point guard position and is earning money til 09 which means he will be off the books by the summer of 2010. then with the 16th pick you still have some possibilities of talent. here i htink you add best talent or another bigman. here there is a possibility you can land athletic shooting SF like Joe Alexander or Donte Green.... or you could go with a big man like Mareese Speights who has some conditioning problems but is a banger for rebounds, The other lopez brother who is known for his toughness and rebounding, koufas who in my mind is a week soft bigman but can shoot, or hibbert who is a good defender good rebounder will get you a double double and is not selfish... has good interior passing. My personal pick for this would be Alexander or Hibbert. Alexander could be a big sleeper while Hibbert wont be the star but provides defense rebounding and could be a key role player in the NBA.

This would leave us with a lineup like this...

Miller, stephon
crawford, robinson
q-rich, chandler
jordan (or randolph), lee
hibbert, curry

or

miller, stephon
crawford, robinson
alexander, chandler, q-rich
lee, malik rose
jordan, curry

in one scenario you have two young bigman (maybe two seven footers) one with potential to be a star the other providing a defensive stronghold.

the other scenario gives you a potential star seven footer and sleeper who in my mind will grow and learn to control a game with his shot.

This does two very important things for us..... one it keeps us still free in our cap space to make a serious run for lebron also leaving space for him at SG... also it makes our team younger by far which will prevent us probably from making the playoffs again next year. this will give us another opportunity to surround lebron with promising young talent.

if we can get a pg in the 09 draft then we could have a team in 2010 with young pg two maturing 7 footers and lebron james. Also keep in mind while taking the two seven footers takes lee out of a starting spot which upsets me, lee doesnt fit with D'Antoni and this will giv us the opportunity to trade lee if necessary.. and until then he can teach and split time with our other young bigmen

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This would leave us with a lineup like this...

Miller, stephon
crawford, robinson
q-rich, chandler
jordan (or randolph), lee
hibbert, curry

or

miller, stephon
crawford, robinson
alexander, chandler, q-rich
lee, malik rose
jordan, curry

I don't think Steph will accept coming off the bench for Miller. Don't you remember? He left the team because he was benched. If we got Miller, we would have to buy out Steph.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
that european kid is the last thing we need i think, he's 19 years old, he's skinny as hell, and really though how many europeans really live up to the hype??not much and plus NY is going overwhelming to the kid, NY would destroy em