Wilson Chandler Thread

metrocard

Legend
Chandler is a less dynamic Danny Granger...two levels below his range.

Granger is a beast, have you guys seen his improvement? Didn't know he would be this good...its unfortunate what happened to his teeth.

nykway24

Rookie
Chandler was terrible last night. Another dismal shooting night 2-13, 5 turnovers, and some really bad mistakes at the end of the game.

What's the consensus?

Is he tired from all the minutes?

Are teams adjusting to him defensively now that they know his moves and strengths?

Is it a mental thing?

Did we overrate him based on such a limited number of games in pre season and early this year?

Wilson Chandler is the Knicks future star. He has the NBA ready body, nice instincts, hes working well with that jump shot, hes our leading blocker and he is still very young. Im looking forward to see what D'Antoni's offencive coaches have in store for Wilson. As for him struggling for that game you have to remember that this is basically Wilsons rookie year. Of course hes gonna be inconsistent he is still learning the game, but this is one hell of a prospect.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer

Granger is a beast, have you guys seen his improvement? Didn't know he would be this good...its unfortunate what happened to his teeth.

Yea, Indiana nailed that one didnt they
He was their most consistent guy pretty much since his second season. Everyone else there was up and down, in and out. Granger was pretty much always in, hustling, keeping numbers steady and improving
Didnt see him get to all star level either, although Indiana fans on boards were pretty sure in him since rookie days
So much for his 'low ceiling' in draft reports

another reason why I just dont see Chandler getting to star lvl. Too inconsistent. Reminds of Marvin Williams a lot - same ups and downs, pretty much the same stats

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

i never expected for him to be such great player. when he came out of the draft to indiana, i saw a few writers callin him a major steal. at the time i didnt know who he was, but now i wish i could see more of him. sadly it'll take a while for him to be a household name as he is playin for a team not many ppl care about.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD>YR</TD><TD>TM</TD><TD align=right>G</TD><TD align=right>GS</TD><TD align=right>MIN</TD><TD align=right>FG</TD><TD align=right>FG%</TD><TD align=right>3P</TD><TD align=right>3P%</TD><TD align=right>FT</TD><TD align=right>FT%</TD><TD align=right>STL</TD><TD align=right>BLK</TD><TD align=right>TO</TD><TD align=right>PF</TD><TD align=right>OFF</TD><TD align=right>DEF</TD><TD align=right>TOT</TD><TD align=right>AST</TD><TD align=right>PTS</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD><NOBR>05-06</NOBR></TD><TD>IND</TD><TD align=right>78</TD><TD align=right>17</TD><TD align=right>22.6</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>2.8-6.1</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.462</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>0.4-1.2</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.323</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>1.5-1.9</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.777</TD><TD align=right>0.7</TD><TD align=right>0.8</TD><TD align=right>1.0</TD><TD align=right>2.7</TD><TD align=right>1.7</TD><TD align=right>3.2</TD><TD align=right>4.9</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>7.5</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD><NOBR>06-07</NOBR></TD><TD>IND</TD><TD align=right>82</TD><TD align=right>57</TD><TD align=right>34.0</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>4.9-10.6</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.459</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>1.3-3.5</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.382</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>2.9-3.6</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.803</TD><TD align=right>0.8</TD><TD align=right>0.7</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>1.4</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>4.7</TD><TD align=right>1.4</TD><TD align=right>13.9</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD><NOBR>07-08</NOBR></TD><TD>IND</TD><TD align=right>80</TD><TD align=right>80</TD><TD align=right>36.0</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>6.7-15.1</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.446</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>2.1-5.3</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.404</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>4.0-4.7</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.852</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>3.6</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>4.9</TD><TD align=right>6.1</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>19.6</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD><NOBR>08-09</NOBR></TD><TD>IND</TD><TD align=right>20</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>36.4</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>8.1-18.4</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.440</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>2.6-7.2</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.364</TD><TD align=right><NOBR>4.3-5.1</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>.833</TD><TD align=right>0.9</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>3.1</TD><TD align=right>3.9</TD><TD align=right>0.9</TD><TD align=right>4.1</TD><TD align=right>4.9</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>23.1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

as you can see hes always improving. my only question is if hes a guy you can build a championship team around. but if chandler could be anything like granger i would be very thankful

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

Danny Granger is a beast, made a big improvment on his game over the last few years....Walsh was a genious for drafting this guy if only he was the Knicks' president the year Granger was drafted

i see Paul Peirce when i watch Granger i dunno why lol

knicklover

Benchwarmer
One thing I think Chandler needs to do is go to the basket more often. He has the athletic ability to get better shots and draws fouls, but he settles for outside shots too often. He could get his FG% way up and score more points as a result of getting better shots and to the free throw line more often.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
One thing I think Chandler needs to do is go to the basket more often. He has the athletic ability to get better shots and draws fouls, but he settles for outside shots too often. He could get his FG% way up and score more points as a result of getting better shots and to the free throw line more often.

word he needs to drive more to the basket thats where he's great his post offense is better then he gets credit for...his combo of size and strenght helps him alot....but he's still learning and like any young player he falls in love with the J, he'll learn what his strenghts are soon then he should really score the rock at a better rate then he is now(15.0 ppg)

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

Exactly!! Chandler could be a really good player if he would drive to the basket more.He is shooting way to many outside shots and it is killing his game.I was watching the Knicks/Bulls game the othernight with the Bulls announcers and they said the same thing.He has the height and quickness were he could beat almost anybody off the dribble to the basket.He needs to quit thinking hes Larry Bird and start driving to the basket.I garrentee that would add more ppg to his game.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Did you see the kid playing perimeter d against the nets as the pg whilst Duhon was out? That was Devin Harris' most difficult minutes on offense throughout the game. The line up was: Thomas, Harrington Lee, Chandler and Jeffries at the time.

He was omnipresent like Pippen used to be. I'm not making that comparison but man, he was solid and turned away one of Harris' attempts on the baseline with quick jumping and quick hands.

If this kid, at 21 years of age, gets a reliable shot from 20-35 feet, we are looking at another Houston calibre 2 man. He's never gonna shoot that well, but he can achieve similar numbers and play better D.

It all depends on the process, but now that his minutes are high and his desire is true, he's potentially an All Star calibre basketball player.

21 years old with a year and a half of preparation left to potentially become a part of the NBA elite.

As much as I've worshipped him in this thread, I gotta say, I don't think he'll do it. I hope he does though.

Go Knicks.

metrocard

Legend
Chandler has to continue working hard.

This is really his rookie season because Isiah didn't really play him shit last year.
He can't hit the wall and realize he must progress every game and stay confident in his abilities.

Chandler ending the season averaging 15-16 points would be a success on itselfl, with an increased FG.

We NEED that, so hopefully he provides that.

You figure Harrington is going average 22+
Lee 14+
Robinson 12-14+

We need Chandler's production in there because Duhon has Eric Snow scoring EFF. Jefferies is terrible, and Q-Rich is on and off, and Rose is caca.

This team's success really relies on Chandler's progression.

Akamu

The King
He just needs to learn how to create, successfully drive to the basket, enhance his ball handling to compliment that spin he likes to utilize and he'll be star caliber.

I'm still content with his performance as is. Could be so much better but again he's technically a rookie and is slowly gaining that momentum to become something great.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree with you guys....he's made a great progression from last year working vigorusly during the offseason and its showing in his preformance....he needs to continue to develop and perfect his strenghts and improve his weaknesses like his drive to the basket and his inside game are his strong points but he should work at them and improve them even more no reason why he cant be a beast down low....and his outside shot is on and off and he'll have a consistent one soon enough....if he improves his ballhandling and becomes an even better defender(he did a great job on kobe last night) he'll be basically unstoppable.

Paul1355

All Star
He just needs to learn how to create, successfully drive to the basket, enhance his ball handling to compliment that spin he likes to utilize and he'll be star caliber.

I'm still content with his performance as is. Could be so much better but again he's technically a rookie and is slowly gaining that momentum to become something great.

yea i agree that he has to improve driving to the basket but its just because he either can't finish or when he has only one man to beat he just passes it off. Chandler has the athleticism to dominate anyone in the post or when he drives to the basket. He has to be more aggressive and stop being afraid that he'll get hit or something. Draw fouls, go for the easy shots and if you start getting blocked then feed the other men on the outside.

he missed many oppurtunities last night to score an easy 2 but just passed it off to a guy at the three point line who most of the time got shot up a harder shot than Wilson could have had.

He has to play like he did in the summer leaugue and at the end of last season...aggreressive, drive to teh basket, draw fouls, and take advantage of his speed and jumping ability and he'll shine. Also he has to improve his outside shot because his range is only a mid range shot to a close shot.

richtree

Rotation player
I, like many Knick fans, see the potential in Wilson Chandler but have come to the realization that is just isn't that good right now....

He can knock down the open shot and plays defensive hard but must , must play the SF postion to be successful in the NBA ....

Mikey D refuses to see that he cannot guard the good PF in this league...

If you need proof look at the game tapes of this year of him being abused by Dirk and Elton Brand.....

Wilson must work on his game and he is humble enough to do so .....

I don't think he will truley blossom until Quniten Richardson is gone....

You can't compare him to a guy like Richard Jefferson because he can't shoot of the dribble nor get to the free throw like....

I see him as a sf Forward that can play good defense along side Wade and Amare in 2010.....

He will never be an all-star (maybe once) but is a winning player....

He is an average player at best right now...but has the potenial to grow into a solid team player......

The best thing that can happen to him is that this year and next the Knicks will be losing alot and he can develop and be ready for 2010 and that way the Knicks can keep him at a small price....

happy h o l i d a y s bitches

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
he needs to realize his strenghts( inside/aound the foul line, and low post) and utilize them he's not a gaurd and needs to stop trying to play like one.....he's impressed me so far but he makes careless mistakes that once they're fixed he'll be more productive.......he'll have a good career