Lee's agent tells Chris Sheridan "Portland shifts focus to Lee"

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4306502

The thing that really amazes me is how scared teams are of The Knicks potentially matching an offer. I really thought teams were aware of how scared The Knicks are of spending too much in 2010.

To me this means time to play hardball Donnie! Actually I really don't want much in a sign and trade for Lee from Portland, just a 2010 pick (in all actuality a mid-first from a team already stacked with good young players) and Jared Bayless. Not bad for a 16 and 11 player who had the team been winning more wouldve been an All Star. Thats basically us getting Portland's 2008 13th pick and 2010 15th pick for Lee. Almost completley lopsided in their favor if it wasnt for the cap relief it affords us! A win win for both!

If Lee signs their offer sheet on Monday, I would present that trade to them Tuesday morning, and tell them I need an answer by Weds. If they reject the offer, they now go six more days without being able to contact FA's because they need to wait on an answer from us. In the meantime we contact other teams to see who we could trade him to.

Wost case we match and sign Lee to a deal worth 10 million per. But, Lee (baring an injury) will still have trade value even at 10 million per. Lee's agent said a number of teams want to sign him for 10 million, I'd imagine some of those same teams would want to trade for him given The Knicks will not be asking for too much other than a pick and young player

Last edited:

JayJ44

Starter
From what I've heard, Portland isn't interested in Lee. They're far more interested in Andre Miller. This is just Lee's agent trying to boost Lee's value. In reality, there aren't really any teams that are seriously interested at the moment. We'll most likely be able to resign him at a reasonable price, around 7-8 million. Or, sign and trade him, and get some valuable pieces.

shaolin15

Rookie
NO

Im suprised that the hornets arent making a hard push for Lee. He would be a perfect player in their system and a good pick nd pop player with cp3.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I have a hard time seeing why Portland would go after David Lee, personally. With Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge, why do they need another one-dimensional player in David Lee? Oden's a good defender and Aldridge is a good scorer, why would you want a wet paper bag defender and one-dimensional scorer like David Lee on your team when the last thing your team needs is crappier defensive players

ANU

Starter
only thing i want from that team is rudy.not the human foul machine or anybody else.i just don't know why portland wants lee.if they lost out on turk, why don't they just ask about harrington?

moneyg

Starter
Im suprised that the hornets arent making a hard push for Lee. He would be a perfect player in their system and a good pick nd pop player with cp3.

how can NO do this when they have the higest payroll in the league? we r not doing any sign and trades. portland is just bluffin.. lee doesnt fit will all the bigs they got...OKC is not spending...lee might be forced to sign the midlevel with another tems,,.. which will will match or accept our qualifyin offer...
:peace:

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
how can NO do this when they have the higest payroll in the league? we r not doing any sign and trades. portland is just bluffin.. lee doesnt fit will all the bigs they got...OKC is not spending...lee might be forced to sign the midlevel with another tems,,.. which will will match or accept our qualifyin offer...
:peace:

How can he sign the MLE or the qualifying offer when he already got an offer from us for 4 years/ 32 mill. His agent is waiting to see if he can get more before deciding what to do.

moneyg

Starter
How can he sign the MLE or the qualifying offer when he already got an offer from us for 4 years/ 32 mill. His agent is waiting to see if he can get more before deciding what to do.

signin the mid level with another team...wont work... that my point...other than the teams that r under the cap which the list is runnin out..all the team really into dlee want a sing and trade which we dont have to do... i neva said he will sign with any team for the midlevel.. im simply staed his option.. if he really felt dissed by the knicks he could do it to spite us.. technically...but we would match it....sooooooo.... our position is good. he alonst certainly have to resign with us. and i think he better do it soon or these other free agents will drive down his value... see ben gordan artest and charlie v...i think it may come down to that offer of 32/4yr or a one years 10-12mil deal from us and then he can become a unrestricted next year...and get that contract from us after we sign ffree agents:smokin:

KBlack25

Starter
New Report: Portland is NOT ready to sign Lee

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60346/20090705/blazers_not_ready_to_sign_lee/

Having lost out on Hedo Turkoglu, the Blazers spoke with David Lee's agent on Saturday.

But Marc Berman reports that the Blazers are not prepared to sign the Knicks' restricted free-agent to an offer sheet using their cap space, for concern that they would be tied up until July 15 at which time the Knicks might match the offer. The Blazers have about $9 million of cap room.

Trevor Ariza with the Rockets, and Ron Artest with the Lakers, have each agreed to contracts at the mid-level exception.

It could be that for Lee to earn more than $6 million per year, he will need to be part of a sign-and-trade deal.

Seems to me his asking price is just too high for some teams, especially in this economy.