The One Year Plan- Rebuilding In 2010

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Can rebuilding in one year really be beneficial to the Knicks???

Aside from having a store-bought dream team, won't we also have store-bought fans???

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons, because as great as it would be to have 3 superstars (bosh, wade, lebron) on the Knicks, we would probably have to sell our souls as fans, figuratively speaking of course.

So, tell me, if it could be done, would y'all want that "2010" dream team...

--OR--

a team that's being built from the ground up???

johnstarky

Rotation player
It would be a nice thing for any team to build a contender through the draft and through their home grown talent but if a team has the money and cap space to sign the top players in the NBA then I don't see how it could make a fan of that team appreciate them less.

When the Knicks were one of the elite NBA teams throughout the 90's the majority of the players that they had were either acquired through trades or through off season signings.The Knicks front office did their best job to build the right supporting cast around their franchise player and they were only one win away from winning a title.Had the Knicks won a championship during the Patrick Ewing era people would of recognized their players as being true Knicks as opposed to recognizing them as players that were acquired from other teams.

If our homegrown players such as Gallinari and Chandler develop into all-star caliber players throughout these next few years and Walsh finds a way to sign or trade for a class A player then it would be nearly impossible for us to not be one of the top seeded teams in the Eastern Conference and in the NBA.When you look at the championship teams of this past decade you will notice that only the Spurs made it all the way past the finish line on homegrown talent while teams like the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Pistons won it all with a combination of homegrown talent and star players that previously played on other teams.

Last edited:

dan1608

Benchwarmer
In 2010, we should look to build a strong team and incorporate as many important pieces as possible. The fundamentals of all good teams: a natural leader, a solid point guard and center along with a smart coach.

Most of our team building should be done in this season. The contracts of Al Harrington, Chris Duhon, Darko Milcic, David Lee and Larry Hughes are all expiring. These players are valuable in trades and can be used to build a solid team. We can use a player or combination of players to trade for expiring contracts. The remainder of the cap space will be spent on a free agent, who can lead a team.

Look at who we can trade:
Al Harrington offers 20 points per game (which is pretty useful).
Chris Duhon provides a solid point guard that can pass and defend well with a good basketball IQ and a three point shot.
Darko can block and rebound, depending on how he does this season will determine his value in a trade.
David Lee can give consistent production of double doubles, he is one of the top rebounders in the game.
Hughes is a veteran shooting guard who can score and defend, he comes up with a lot of steals and can still give good effort.

These players will be the key in trades to helping us improve our team. We can definitely acquire a solid supporting cast this year, using trades to gain the interest of the 2010 free agent class.

In addition, Charles Oakley wants to be an assistant coach, we can offer him a job, being a former Knick. He was a rebounding and defensive expert.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Can rebuilding in one year really be beneficial to the Knicks???

Aside from having a store-bought dream team, won't we also have store-bought fans???

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons, because as great as it would be to have 3 superstars (bosh, wade, lebron) on the Knicks, we would probably have to sell our souls as fans, figuratively speaking of course.

So, tell me, if it could be done, would y'all want that "2010" dream team...

--OR--

a team that's being built from the ground up???
What are you on about!!!!?

Come on dude seriously... 8 years.. 8 friggin' years and 0 playoff runs. We don't get a trophy for a decade of woefulness.

I wouldn't care if Kim Jung Il was on the team as long as we're winning.

Sheesh.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
What are you on about!!!!?

Come on dude seriously... 8 years.. 8 friggin' years and 0 playoff runs. We don't get a trophy for a decade of woefulness.

I wouldn't care if Kim Jung Il was on the team as long as we're winning.

Sheesh.

I respect your opinion. The thing is I wouldn't want the Knicks to buy a championship the way the celtics did a couple of years ago. I'm all about the process, you know. That's just me.

I agree, it doesn't matter who is on the team as long as they are productive and it leads to wins. At the end of the day the team is judged by its record, not by its roster. Ofcourse one greatly effects the other