Al Harrington - Proving His Worth In The NBA and as a Knickerbocker

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
24 games in to this season, and Al Harrington has proven he can put up +20ppg against any opponent any night, home or away. He seems passionate and determined. Focused and thirsty to win.

He's our team leader off the court, inspiring the team to read the same Lou Holtz book - "Winning Everyday" a book focusing on determination and achieving goals as a competitor.

He's also been reported to have a printed update of the Eastern Conference standings next to his locker in order to keep tabs on NY's playoff hunt.

Claiming time and again that he wants to remain in NY and be a part of the big rebuild, Harrington is proving his loyalty through his play and his exemplary off-court focus on the NBA's one common goal - Victory.

I was a big skeptic last year (and going in to this year), but I've been won over by Harrington.......

He's no fake....

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
He doesnt fit into D'Antoni's system, D'antoni had to change his system to make players like Al fit, but once we change the team around we dont have the room for a black hole like Harrington. I appreciate the work he's been doing since joining the team, no one can question his work ethic, but he just doesnt fit into the SSOL system. He's more of a half court player

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We've hardly run the 7 second offense at all this year. We changed for the better with a new high movement half court game. So fitting an offense we're not using doesn't really hinder anything.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
but you also have to remember Harrington doesnt do anything other then score, he does it really well yes, but if we get James Harrington wont have a role on the team. He's a terrible spot up shooter, he doesnt defend well, and he's not a good rebounder despite his size. I just dont see him co-existing with someone like Lebron.

nyk_nyk

All Star
but you also have to remember Harrington doesnt do anything other then score, he does it really well yes, but if we get James Harrington wont have a role on the team. He's a terrible spot up shooter, he doesnt defend well, and he's not a good rebounder despite his size. I just dont see him co-existing with someone like Lebron.

I believe anyone can co-exist with Lebron. He's the one superstar player that's so unselfish and can maximize the talent around him.

you guys are ridiculous
his scoring comes from slashes and threes haha. what more do you want from a 3/4. He is keeping us in games, winning games for us, and he has handled coming off the bench like a professional. What is not to like about this guy. He is putting up all star numbers and creates many mismatches, He fits Mike D's system like a glove, So i dont get how you can say he doesnt, he can handle the rock, pass the ball, and knock down open jumpers, isnt that all Mike asks for. Personally i would give him the money we will save by not resigning nate and throw 21 mil over 3 years at him.

If we could pull that off I would be excited. I could propose a starting 5 like this, and as far as our pg troubles if Lebron comes to NY do not be surprised to see him handling the rock.

We would be a lil over the cap on this, but only due to Duhon getting the MLE, and camby taking a VM which wont count the same against the cap.

We could pull this off.

1James. 16
2Chandler 2
3Harrington 7
4Gallo 3
5Amare 14

Bench

Douglas 1
Hughes, we could get him for cheap, I dont see any one picking him up this off season. 4
Hill 2
Duhon Trust me hell still be here for MLE. 5
Camby ( I just have a feeling he will sign cheap here to finish his career) 2

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
you guys are ridiculous
his scoring comes from slashes and threes haha. what more do you want from a 3/4. He is keeping us in games, winning games for us, and he has handled coming off the bench like a professional. What is not to like about this guy. He is putting up all star numbers and creates many mismatches, He fits Mike D's system like a glove, So i dont get how you can say he doesnt, he can handle the rock, pass the ball, and knock down open jumpers, isnt that all Mike asks for. Personally i would give him the money we will save by not resigning nate and throw 21 mil over 3 years at him.

If we could pull that off I would be excited. I could propose a starting 5 like this, and as far as our pg troubles if Lebron comes to NY do not be surprised to see him handling the rock.

We would be a lil over the cap on this, but only due to Duhon getting the MLE, and camby taking a VM which wont count the same against the cap.

We could pull this off.

1James. 16
2Chandler 2
3Harrington 7
4Gallo 3
5Amare 14

Bench

Douglas 1
Hughes, we could get him for cheap, I dont see any one picking him up this off season. 4
Hill 2
Duhon Trust me hell still be here for MLE. 5
Camby ( I just have a feeling he will sign cheap here to finish his career) 2
Pass? He averages an assist a game, and 2 and a half turnovers, he's a terrible passer. His points come from drives, not 3's, he's an average 3 point shooter and is terrible on the spot up. Look at the shooters on Lebrons teams, Mo, West, Boobie, those are guys who can hit 3's. Gallo will be great with Lebron, Wil can hit the mid-range so he'll be good, Lee is excellent on the pick and roll and can hit the mid-range, he's perfect for Lebron. I'm loving the effort from Harrington but I just dont think he'll be good next to someone like the king. He is a black hole on offense, he dominates the ball, and yes, its proving to be good in the short term, but long term i just dont see it.

Kiyaman

Legend
Any NBA coach would say "Al Harrington" is the Knicks best SF performing at both PF and SF this season (as the Knicks number #1 go to player).

The so-call trade "dealing" that ESPN and NBA TV blew-up of "Harrington for Tyrus Thomas" (the day we started the win streak), would have been a big lost to the Knicks as a team, and a great big gain for the Bulls.

Al Harrington does have all his Knick teammates talents and performance down pack where he mix well with them as a starter or bench-player.

Kiyaman

Legend

I'm going to ask my bookie what are the odds given in 2009, of Lebron James becoming a Knick in 2010 offseason.
I'm sure the odds have to be higher than 25 to 1, so $100. dollar bet before January will be a wise 7 month investment for all the dreamers.

p0nder

Starter
Really like Al Harrington's effort and deterimination. When all the knicks were hanging their heads, visibly upset with continuing on their losing ways, Al came down with some knowledge, some up lifting talk and some inspiring performances on the court.

He is the #1 reason the knicks are on this 4 game streak and I hope it continues!

That being said, I think he is really appealing to a LOT of teams right now. Even K. G. has been heard praising his work ethic and hustle on the offensive side of things. He bring the intensity that fires up the guys like Lee and Gallo. I could see him being used to clear more room for 2010, packaging him with curry or jefferies.

Perhaps to houston for t-mac? they need presence at the 5. I watched their game against Toronto and Bosh just manhandled Yao's replacement.

Still, I really like the way Al brings it game in and game out. He should be rewarded for the hard work he's putting in. We are being rewarded with these past 4 wins, so i hope he gets it back.

iSaYughh

Starter
He has proven himself to be a scorer and a gamer. And if the Knicks weren't in such a dire, difficult spot it'd be nice to think about him being a part of our future, but....

It's insane to think of Harrington as anything other than a perfect piece of trade bait to procure us a PG and/or give us cap space. And cap space is what I want more than anything else.

Us being able to sign 2 stud FA's is the most attractive thing we can possibly do to attract 1.

if he takes 7 mil for 3 yrs why would u not want him in a knicks uniform as a 3rd option, it doesnt make any sense, I remember that playoff series against the mavs when he was on the warriors he hit big shot after big shot down the stretch. As usual any time a player shines for nelly that takes away from his favorites he benches them and throws a hissy fit. So I think people really gave harrington the bad rap after that, but overall he has consistently always been a great role 2nd or 3rd option type player for his entire career. He can play defense so I dont know what you are talking about, but like David Lee he gets strung out often being that he is never sure what position he is really supposed to be playing with out a center. The guy is always guarding some one much smaller than him, or much bigger than him. No excuses, but I will say the guy has grown on me, from a bigger jamal crawford type to a legitimate winner/ down the stretch he knows how to take over, and he has really made a habit out of taking the ball directly to the basket lately which I love to see, against the hornets he attacked over and over again, eventually leading to late threes because the hornest did not know what was going to happen next.

Not calling him a savior or an all star, but definitely worth keeping around after 2010 pending on the asking price.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
if he takes 7 mil for 3 yrs why would u not want him in a knicks uniform as a 3rd option, it doesnt make any sense, I remember that playoff series against the mavs when he was on the warriors he hit big shot after big shot down the stretch. As usual any time a player shines for nelly that takes away from his favorites he benches them and throws a hissy fit. So I think people really gave harrington the bad rap after that, but overall he has consistently always been a great role 2nd or 3rd option type player for his entire career. He can play defense so I dont know what you are talking about, but like David Lee he gets strung out often being that he is never sure what position he is really supposed to be playing with out a center. The guy is always guarding some one much smaller than him, or much bigger than him. No excuses, but I will say the guy has grown on me, from a bigger jamal crawford type to a legitimate winner/ down the stretch he knows how to take over, and he has really made a habit out of taking the ball directly to the basket lately which I love to see, against the hornets he attacked over and over again, eventually leading to late threes because the hornest did not know what was going to happen next.

Not calling him a savior or an all star, but definitely worth keeping around after 2010 pending on the asking price.

we'll see how much he loves ny in the offseason. if hes willing to take a paycut to be a part of the bench im all for it. he could be our top sixth man next year, i got no problem with that.

come on, harrington is a a proven starter. You are over reacting, why is it that no matter new york knicks fans always hate their best player whether it be a winning squad or a losing squad, we hated ewing, we hated houston, we hated marbury, I mean im not a fan of marbury and his off the court nonsense, but talent wise he was our best player. As of now Harrington is our best player, give the guy a break.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer

I can totally see why you like the guy, i saw him in the GS series he was spectacular. But look at the style they were playing. They had no play maker out there, its Nellie Ball, that system is every man for himself.

I mean, how do you see LeBron playing with a guy like Harrington. Can Harrington be compared with anyone LeBron has ever played with? I can't think of anyone. I just see Harrington as a black hole on offense if LeBron comes, since he can't spot up shoot and he turns the ball over a lot.

ANU

Starter
we'll see how much he loves ny in the offseason. if hes willing to take a paycut to be a part of the bench im all for it. he could be our top sixth man next year, i got no problem with that.
I'm really not interested in finding out.theses dudes always follow the money.he'll want the kinda money that will hinder any play at the top free agents.might as well get something out of him now.

this is the kinda guy we can get value for now.chris sheridan mentioned him in a possible trade scenario for the blazers if they choose to make any moves.rudy fernandez has to be involved in that deal.I'd be ecstatic if that happened.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
I appreciate what Harrington has done and if we don't get Lebron and get someone like Bosh, yea, Harrington is great to keep around. I just don't think he'll be worth it.

Again not taking away what he's done this season, because the last 6 games he has worked his ass off. The whole him with LeBron thing is just my personal opinion, i still like Harrington as a player.