Tracy McGrady... Point Guard?

Would you trust Tracy McGrady at PG?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeFlume

All Star
Not a good idea at all. T-Mac doesen't know our game and he have missed a lot of basketball the last two seasons. The ball should not be in his hands.

tiger0330

Legend
He's played PG on occasion for the Rox. Great passer with excellent court vision, his height allows him to see the floor very well. Pretty good handle as well and feels comfortable bringing the ball up against presses and traps. He can of course create with his dribble penetration but he admits that he's lost a step since he's entered the league. He also ran that high pick and roll with Yao that was a staple play for JVG, so he would be great running it with DLee. I'm sure D'Antoni would give him minutes at the point, but I thinks he's better used as a 2 or 3 playing with a competent PG.

I just wish the trade deadline would get here, latest I am hearing is the Rox are saying they are looking at multiple offers for him and the Knicks offer is not the best one primarily because they don't want JJs contract.

smokes

Huge Member
He's played PG on occasion for the Rox. Great passer with excellent court vision, his height allows him to see the floor very well. Pretty good handle as well and feels comfortable bringing the ball up against presses and traps. He can of course create with his dribble penetration but he admits that he's lost a step since he's entered the league. I'm sure D'Antoni would give him minutes at the point, but I thinks he's better used as a 2 or 3 playing with a competent PG.

I just wish the trade deadline would get here, latest I am hearing is the Rox are saying they are looking at multiple offers for him and the Knicks offer is not the best one primarily because they don't want JJs contract.

I reckon thats just a bluff to get us to drop our chase of the 2010 pick or throw something else into the deal... It's quite rare that trade rumors get this much attention without getting done.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Wow. I'm in shock. T-Mac doesn't know how to do anything other than shoot nowadays, and I'd still take him at the point.

And @ smokes....not even Voldemort could be the atrocity that is the new "He who shall not be named".

Paul1355

All Star
He is a SG or a SF....too tall and slow for a PG.

Douglas and Mcgrady in the backcourt looks good to me.

This should be our lineup after the big trade.

Douglas/Nate
McGrady
Chandler
Lee
Bender

Harrington and Gallo get all the bench minutes

tiger0330

Legend
He is a SG or a SF....too tall and slow for a PG.

Douglas and Mcgrady in the backcourt looks good to me.

This should be our lineup after the big trade.

Douglas/Mcgrady
McGrady/Nate
Chandler
Lee
Bender

Harrington and Gallo get all the bench minutes
Fixed this. TMac would be 10x better running the point than Nate. Nate can't run the PnR for s**t.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Assuming he's healthy, he'd EASILY play the point better than anyone else on our roster. The answer is an obvious, "yes, I'd trust him and insert him at PG". Our biggest weakness, by far, is at PG and I would love a 30 game audition of T-Mac trying to fill the role.

Paul1355

All Star
Fixed this. TMac would be 10x better running the point than Nate. Nate can't run the PnR for s**t.

If Nate can't play PG then he should not be in the NBA...he can play it he just needs to be coached...Mike D fails at that.

you can't have McGrady play point guard...thats like Big Z playing SF...just weird.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If Nate can't play PG then he should not be in the NBA...he can play it he just needs to be coached...Mike D fails at that.

you can't have McGrady play point guard...thats like Big Z playing SF...just weird.
P&R awareness or capability comes naturally if you ask me. There are PFs and Cs that can run a P&R in reverse role better than N8.

He just isn't a PG. End of story.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Everything points to him coming here by tomorrow. Is he going to bring excitement, or just more memories of ex-stars like Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury? Walsh must have seen something we didn't during those workouts to go after him this hard. Yea I know the biggest thing was getting rid of Jeffries, but T-Mac was HIGHLY sought after by Knicks management. I'm just praying that we get a healthy commiteed T-Mac, rather than a washed up injury prone one. Only time will tell.

JayJ44

Starter

Nate could never play PG, it has nothing to do with D'antoni. He just doesn't have the court vision, passing ability, or basketball IQ. I'm not really sure why everyone feels the need to blame the coach for virtually everything wrong with the team.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
No better than Hughes at this age and mileage

Everything points to him coming here by tomorrow. Is he going to bring excitement, or just more memories of ex-stars like Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury? Walsh must have seen something we didn't during those workouts to go after him this hard. Yea I know the biggest thing was getting rid of Jeffries, but T-Mac was HIGHLY sought after by Knicks management. I'm just praying that we get a healthy commiteed T-Mac, rather than a washed up injury prone one. Only time will tell.

T Mac a better career, but Hughes is just as good as him now and even in the headgame minutes D'Ant gave him this year, blows T Mac away. He still will play Duhon.
Both have to high of mileage, Hughes was here for expiring contract and he is one of the better defensive players in the league. Nothing is going to happen here, just Harrington, Robinson, Hughes, Chandler hoping that they get traded to a contender.

Paul1355

All Star
Nate could never play PG, it has nothing to do with D'antoni. He just doesn't have the court vision, passing ability, or basketball IQ. I'm not really sure why everyone feels the need to blame the coach for virtually everything wrong with the team.

Because Mike D has failed...its a fact at this point.