Knicks Very Much In Hunt For Carmelo

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The paradox of acquiring Carmelo Anthony for the Knicks is that he plays a position where they have a surplus. Additionally, wing scorers of his caliber are luxuries more than necessities in Mike D'Antoni's system.

I'm not sure if the Knicks' players realize this in such a cogent way, but at least according to what they are saying publicly, they feel like they are good enough already on a personnel level.

"I don't want to change anything," said Raymond Felton adamantly and impatiently when asked about the Anthony trade rumors.

While the Knicks are plenty good enough to reach the playoffs, a big step forward since they haven't played posteason basketball since the 03-04 season, they are not nearly good enough to be considered an elite team.

That was clear on Sunday when they were defeated 109-87 by the Lakers, even if the game was closer than the final score indicated and were down just five at halftime and a third quarter buzzer beater by Shannon Brown killed any fourth quarter chance.

With D'Antoni as your head coach, the real value has always been his ability to facilitate overachievers amidst his stars at point guard and power forward/center.

This was the formula with Phoenix when he had Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire, with Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Quentin Richardson and Boris Diaw being the complementary pieces at various times.

Anthony_Carmelo_den_101213.jpg

Now with the Knicks, it is Stoudemire again and Raymond Felton at point guard this time. The supporting pieces are a little bit different in composition, but Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields and Danilo Gallinari have had their talents maximized this season.

Fields was certainly overlooked in an egregious way in the draft, but there is little reason to believe he would have been the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month in both November and December with any other team. First of all, he wouldn't have received better than 30 minutes per game and he more importantly wouldn't have been used this effectively.

Though position isn't a major issue in D'Antoni's system, I asked Fields before the Lakers game what position he would prefer to play long term.

"It really depends on what system I'm in," said Fields. "Right now, I'm playing shooting guard and I hope to continue to develop at that position. That's where I see myself right now."

Chandler has been shooting much better from three-point territory this season, hitting at a 38.2% clip compared to just 26.7% in 09-10. Perhaps more importantly, Chandler has had to create far less of his own offense because of the Felton/Stoudemire impact. He is therefore converting at a much higher clip.

Gallinari has more natural talent than either Fields or Chandler, but he seems like the least logical fit in the long run. While he creates mismatches, those mismatches are flipped and he is several years away from rebounding and defending bigs the way his height should allow him to.

The biggest need for the Knicks continues to be a defensively gifted center. You can almost make an argument that the Knicks would improve by a greater margin by signing Kendrick Perkins in the offseason rather than Anthony since they are both unrestricted free agents. Perkins isn't a typical D'Antoni player, but his defensive abilities are extraordinary and completely underrated. Andrew Bynum completely dominated New York in the interior on Sunday, while Fields limited Kobe Bryant to a 10-for-28 night.

Nevertheless, Anthony is a truly unique scorer and those types of players who can create their own offense in the halfcourt are as valuable as they come.

This is why the Knicks are not in an Anthony or bust mode and will not further mortgage the talent they have to acquire him right now. But with that said, there is legitimate value in giving something up to get one extra playoff run with Anthony. The value Anthony would bring to the Knicks wouldn't equal Derrick Favors (and a large cache of picks) if they even had him.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_p...ve_a_carmelo_or_bust_mentality/#ixzz1BI5hW67V

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Felton doesn't want to change anything?

After a first-round playoff exit we'll see what he says.

Also it's possible that he just doesn't want to say the wrong thing that will mess with the team's chemistry. If he says "Yeah, we need him to make a playoff run" then that might piss off someone else on the team and before you know it....

Hayato

Benchwarmer

Also it's possible that he just doesn't want to say the wrong thing that will mess with the team's chemistry. If he says "Yeah, we need him to make a playoff run" then that might piss off someone else on the team and before you know it....

or being that he has no clue whats actually going to happen like everybody else, he doesnt want to say they need him and then just have him go to the nets

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

He does have that Captain's role to fill. Maintaining accord in the locker room and so on.

Well, I guess it comes down to this:

Would you prefer Carmelo Anthony to Gallo, Fields, Marc Gasol and a top-5 lottery pick?

Tough call.

It is a tough call. But at the end of the day......... Is Melo the answer?

No brainer.

A top-5 lottery pick, as good as it could be, is most likely not going to be anywhere near as good as Carmelo Anthony.

Gallo is never going to be as good as Carmelo.

Fields is never going to be as good as Carmelo.

Marc Gasol would be a solid addition but if we can get Carmelo we don't need that good of a center, just someone who can rebound and block shots like Samuel Dalembert would be fine.

PG - Felton
SG - Walker
SF - Carmelo
PF - Amar'e
C - Dalembert

The SG position would be our major weakness but other than that it's a championship team. Plus the Heat are playing very well with Carlos Arroyo at PG, so I'm sure we could afford to have a not so good SG if we have the best frontcourt in the game

You make a good point about that line up.

However, after all this reading of 2 of ko.com's most reliable point makers/'factor in gurus', I'm still not convinced that it's worth trading for Melo for the following reasons.

You know that it'll incur Al Harrington and his BS contract.

You know that we lose Landry and that he'll only get better.

You know that we lose our Randolph pick.

You know that we have to surpass Miami to become champs, and to beat them, unless they miraculously develop their own serviceable big man, you have to beat them the way LAL beat us.

You know that if it goes through, that's the be all of what we have to look forward to, and it might not necessarily be enough. Just as we might not necessarily lose in the first round of the playoffs without Melo.

What I personally don't know, is that Melo will even be the right player for NY's future. Is that not a reasonable point? It's not like we're incapable of dropping an anus-load of points on any given night. The blaring vacuum at center is evident. We know that.

Bottom line, and this is pretty much how I've seen it since day one, I'm not sure that Melo is the last piece in the Knicks' ambitious bid at resurrection. That's still in the process of creation. If the Knicks pull the trigger now, then that is the end of that process, and if it doesn't work out....... We essentially become a mirror image of the present day Denver Nuggets.

I know that's speculative, but unfortunately, I can't just slip in to a comfy state of amnesia regarding the last 10 years.:lol:

But to say that Melo's the key to moistening NY's Larry O'Brien drought, is just as speculative as saying that he's not.

Are we really willing to bet that trophy on him?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Knick’s rebirth will also be a boon to Mr. Stoudemire, who in short order has arguably become the most marketable sports star in the city. He’s overcome a tough childhood in Lake Wales, Fla., and career-threatening injuries to play at an MVP-caliber level in the shadows of Madison Avenue.

“With a well-thought-out and strategic plan, he should be able to generate tens of millions in revenue off the basketball court,” said Andrew Stroth, a Chicago-based attorney who negotiated deals for Miami Heat superstar Dwyane Wade.

Mr. Stoudemire’s agent, Happy Walters, said the idea is to be selective, to not burn out his client’s brand. “More than any athlete I’ve known, I think Amar’e is an entrepreneur,” Mr. Walters said. “He looks at things differently, not just what they’re worth now, but later.”

Mr. Stoudemire already has his own entertainment company, and has started taking notes for a potential script about his life story. He’s got deals with Zico Coconut Water and energy drink EBoost. And he has his own foundation, which helps young athletes in Africa.

Considering this, however, do you think Melo would take less cash? His co-superstars did. Not like he and his wife can't make in excess of $500M between them as the darings of NY.

Just let me dream.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
When as the last time a star athlete didn't get everything they wanted 100% of the time?

Answer: Never. Not once.

Melo will be traded to the Knicks. He will get his money, his extension and play where he wants.

All I have to say is Melo better get us a championship. I like this team and think we only need to add to this team, not trade away for another big name star.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Both points - agreed.

Is Donnie the man to break the trend? I'll have to say I hope so. If not, I hope I'm wrong.

iSaYughh

Starter
^^ what other big name star have we traded for??? Getting Melo isn't comparable to Antonio Mcdyse and those fools n wack deals. Not in the same stratosphere.

Getting Melo is precisely the type of trade I wish we *had* been making. Garnett, Gasol, eg.

I honestly don't know what disastrous, haunting scenario from our past you think of LJ when it comes to bringing in a healthy 26yr old, system-fitting star. With a nice pedigree as a guy, and a winner. And gets you so pessimistic n reticent.

You had similar feeling of pessimism and reticence w Lebron, which was s8 up cash.

IMHO, melo isn't lebron. Not in ego, classless'ness, or dislikability. Not by a longshot.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Regarding Randolph for a pick, what are our picks for this year (is that the Houston pick) and 2013 projected as? Mid or late first rounders?

I know that trading Randolph for a 2012 pick gives us the opportunity to move multiple picks to Houston if we want Melo, but I'll be the first to say that the projected shuffle of Curry, Fields, Gallo and what - 3 picks? Is a bit ****ing rich!

Do we not have Ujiri pinned and pleading?

Does Melo not want to help out his (potential) new team and help us in not getting plundered unnecessarily?

☆ I think that the whole rent a player idea is bogus. Who'd trade for half a season's worth of effort with no guarantee?

**** Denver. **** that trade. **** mosquitos.