Lmao D'Antoni "Stop Chanting for Melo"

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Lmao dis is funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6109794&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni sent a subtle message to fans on Thursday: Stop chanting for Carmelo Anthony; it's affecting my players.
The Knicks coach said the Garden crowd's chants of "We Want Me-Lo" on Wednesday night had a negative impact on some the Knicks during their loss to the Clippers.
"It's not good. There's no doubt about it," D'Antoni said. "It affects some of the players without a doubt."
Knicks fans started the "We Want Me-Lo" chant with about six minutes to play in the third quarter of the Knicks' 116-108 loss to the Clippers on Wednesday. The Knicks trailed by 16 at the time.

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->
The chants continued in the fourth quarter when the game was out of reach.
The Knicks have made multiple offers to the Denver Nuggets to acquire Anthony through a trade this season. One recent proposal reported by ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard had New York sending Wilson Chandler to Denver and Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to Minnesota. The Timberwolves would ship Corey Brewer and a first-round pick to Denver.
A Timberwolves source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher on Sunday that the team would not approve of the deal in those terms.
Broussard also reported that the Los Angeles Lakers and Nuggets have discussed a deal involving Anthony and Lakers center Andrew Bynum.
Anthony hasn't signed a three-year, $65 million contract extension that the Nuggets offered in the offseason. Anthony said on Wednesday that he would consider signing the offer if he isn't traded by the Feb. 24 deadline.
D'Antoni said on Thursday that he has a "fear" that all of the speculation has become a distraction for his players.
"I hate it for them," the coach said. "Because you're banged up and hurting and trying to push through certain things. Psychologically, it's not the best thing at times."
D'Antoni has addressed the issue with his players, telling them to avoid the potential distractions and focus on basketball.
"They have to harden up and harden their skin up and know that, 'I've got to play well.'" D'Antoni said. "That's your job and again, a certain part of you, you hate it for the players. But at the same time, that's part of the business."
The Knicks have lost ten of their last 14. They fell short Wednesday against a Clippers team that came into the Garden without its top scorer (Eric Gordon) and with a 3-18 road record.
The Knicks are 26-25 and face the Lakers on Friday night. A loss would put them at .500 for the first time since Nov. 28, when they were 9-9.
Both D'Antoni and Amare Stoudemire were critical of the Knicks' energy and effort after the loss to the Clippers.
Point guard Raymond Felton echoed those sentiments on Thursday.
"We didn't play with no type of energy. We didn't play with no type of alertness. So he had every right to be angry. I was angry," Felton said.
Felton said that he heard the "We Want Me-Lo" chants from the Garden crowd, but they didn't affect his play.
"Stuff like that don't bother me. I don't worry about that," he said. "The fans, they chant everything. All the chanting and stuff don't bother me. Stuff has been said about Melo since Day 1. It's just one thing [that] goes in one ear and out the other."
Randolph, who has been mentioned in trade rumors involving Anthony, also said he wasn't affected by the fans' chants.
"It doesn't bother me, I've got no reaction to it," he said. "I really don't pay attention to what the crowd is chanting and stuff. I'm trying to focus on the game. ... We leave that up to management to take care of that."

LOL

KingofNy

Starter
I was cracking up when I read this article on Espn. I'm also glad the fans are pressuring the Knicks FO to make the move already. We started playing bad as soon as the trade rumors really started to heat up. Chandler has been playing like garbage and our team as a whole looks like they're thinking about where they might be living in a few weeks. Pretty soon everyone's going to be chanting "Fire D'antoni"!!! Next game I go to I'm going to bring a sign and see if I can get the crowd fired up. Maybe he'll actually try to get his team to play D. D'Antoni is a BAD coach.

KBlack25

Starter
I agree with MDA.

I was at the Garden last night with a friend, him and I never chanted "We Want Melo". This team is playing, amongst other things, nervous. Look at how poorly NJ played when all the rumors were swirling and how much better they played when Prokorov stopped the hunt.

These players are people too, and having to speculate daily that your life will be uprooted at any second of the day is hard enough, and a crowd of 30K chanting that they want a guy (which for Wil and Fields and Gallo might mean "We want you gone") does not help matters. The chants have to stop if we as Knicks fans want this team to play any better. I know us New Yorkers demand a lot, and we are hard to please people, but at the same time the team isn't going to play better by us chanting, it does nothing but make our guys more self conscious, more nervous and more aware of their impending departure.

petescud

Starter
He's kinda right though. All these guys minus STAT figure they're goners. All are shitting their pants right about now . I think even Felton has been affected

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I agree with MDA.

I was at the Garden last night with a friend, him and I never chanted "We Want Melo". This team is playing, amongst other things, nervous. Look at how poorly NJ played when all the rumors were swirling and how much better they played when Prokorov stopped the hunt.

These players are people too, and having to speculate daily that your life will be uprooted at any second of the day is hard enough, and a crowd of 30K chanting that they want a guy (which for Wil and Fields and Gallo might mean "We want you gone") does not help matters. The chants have to stop if we as Knicks fans want this team to play any better. I know us New Yorkers demand a lot, and we are hard to please people, but at the same time the team isn't going to play better by us chanting, it does nothing but make our guys more self conscious, more nervous and more aware of their impending departure.
Agreed. This has nothing to do with being professional, this is FANS chanting for trading Knicks on the floor.

KBlack25

Starter
Gosh don't play like such shit and the fans wouldn't have a reason to chant we want Melo.. Simple

Here's an idea, how about you have to deal with the fact that at any second your boss will call you into his office and tell you you are being transferred across the country and you and your family have to move within the next 12 hours. Any slight slip up in your job, any odd glance your boss gives you, any time your boss has a word with you, that could be it you are on your way uprooting your family flying across the country to a new town, new boss, new setting, new apartment.

Then do your job perfectly. Also, if you don't do your job perfectly, 30,000 people will chant demanding that you get sent across the country.

See how well that goes down.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Disrespectful. These fans will look like asses if Melo goes somewhere else. It's the same fans that cheered Lebron last year. Haven't they learned anything? You don't cheer other team's players. You root for the Knicks. What a novel idea. Rooting for your team. SMH. Ny fans are unbelievable. This kind of thing doesn't happen in other parts of the country.

KingofNy

Starter
Here's an idea, how about you have to deal with the fact that at any second your boss will call you into his office and tell you you are being transferred across the country and you and your family have to move within the next 12 hours. Any slight slip up in your job, any odd glance your boss gives you, any time your boss has a word with you, that could be it you are on your way uprooting your family flying across the country to a new town, new boss, new setting, new apartment.

Then do your job perfectly. Also, if you don't do your job perfectly, 30,000 people will chant demanding that you get sent across the country.

See how well that goes down.

Boo-hoo...These guys are getting paid millions of dollars, are idolized by millions of people and can pay someone to move them to wherever they need to go the next day. Sorry but I'm not going to be sorry for a player if they are playing bad because they might get traded or because a few fans are chanting for the organization to get some help. It's the NBA, if the players don't like it then they shouldn't play the game...and if the coach doesn't like it.... Tell his bum @ss to start coaching defense.... Not just saying he does.

iSaYughh

Starter
Disrespectful. These fans will look like asses if Melo goes somewhere else. It's the same fans that cheered Lebron last year. Haven't they learned anything? You don't cheer other team's players. You root for the Knicks. What a novel idea. Rooting for your team. SMH. Ny fans are unbelievable. This kind of thing doesn't happen in other parts of the country.

True.

Agree w kblack, too. It will effect players. It's basically psyching out your own team. And taking any home field advantage and flipping it on its head.

It's still natural to boo harshly n shit, but cloying for another nba player is just petulent.

Hurts out pride, and prolly makes us seem like losers to the rest of the country, imo.

KingofNy

Starter
True.

Agree w kblack, too. It will effect players. It's basically psyching out your own team. And taking any home field advantage and flipping it on its head.

It's still natural to boo harshly n shit, but cloying for another nba player is just petulent.

Hurts out pride, and prolly makes us seem like losers to the rest of the country, imo.

How about the fact that it's sending a message to the FO that we as fans don't want to leave the next 5 years of Knicks basketball up to the chance that Melo and his wife might still want to come here if there's basketball next season. Give me a break! D'Antoni should be happy that's all us fans were chanting.

iSaYughh

Starter
Boo-hoo...These guys are getting paid millions of dollars, are idolized by millions of people and can pay someone to move them to wherever they need to go the next day. Sorry but I'm not going to be sorry for a player if they are playing bad because they might get traded or because a few fans are chanting for the organization to get some help. It's the NBA, if the players don't like it then they shouldn't play the game...and if the coach doesn't like it.... Tell his bum @ss to start coaching defense.... Not just saying he does.

Not that you should feel sorry for them; but kidding yourself if you don't think it effects them. And the team.

Not an issue of money, the good life, right/wrong. Just is what it is.

Tell gallo to stop sucking off Milanese (male) models and work on his mid range game

>>>>>> 'we love you Carmelo, we want you' 'give us melp' chants.

iSaYughh

Starter
How about the fact that it's sending a message to the FO that we as fans don't want to leave the next 5 years of Knicks basketball up to the chance that Melo and his wife might still want to come here if there's basketball next season. Give me a break! D'Antoni should be happy that's all us fans were chanting.

It's not sending any message. At least not to the front office. Nyk top franchise, after an abomination decade, and Dolan still at helm.

Fo is working to get Melo. Top priority. They'll continue to do so. I doubt some petulant fans at a bad game are going to give Walsh an epiphany, or sudden realization he hasnt already considered, or influence his decision making in any way.

Then again, 3/4 of KO is more knowledgable and intelligent than our coach and gm, so.... Maybe they'll be enlightened by the latest nugget of wisdom: we'd like you to make Carmelo Anthony a Knick. He will make us better.

KingofNy

Starter
Not that you should feel sorry for them; but kidding yourself if you don't think it effects them. And the team.

Not an issue of money, the good life, right/wrong. Just is what it is.

Tell gallo to stop sucking off Milanese (male) models and work on his mid range game

>>>>>> 'we love you Carmelo, we want you' 'give us melp' chants.

I agree that it affects the players but the players should be stronger than that. LBJ gets booed everytime he touches the ball in pretty much every cities arena but he deals with it and still puts up 30 a night. The fans have a voice and a say within the organization and I think it's alright to let the Knicks and their ownership know our feelings and if we think they're not running the team right. If it means hurting the players feelings or psyching them out, then so be it. It's the only way we can truly get our point across. We pay the players salaries... Without us there's no basketball, no precious Mercedes in their driveway's, and no 10 million dollar ranches in L.A.

KingofNy

Starter
It's not sending any message. At least not to the front office. Nyk top franchise, after an abomination decade, and Dolan still at helm.

Fo is working to get Melo. Top priority. They'll continue to do so. I doubt some petulant fans at a bad game are going to give Walsh an epiphany, or sudden realization he hasnt already considered, or influence his decision making in any way.

Then again, 3/4 of KO is more knowledgable and intelligent than our coach and gm, so.... Maybe they'll be enlightened by the latest nugget of wisdom: we'd like you to make Carmelo Anthony a Knick. He will make us better.

It's not that its giving Donnie an epiphany or anything, but it's putting pressure on him to get the job done.

I don't know about you, but low-balling a team to get their star player is doing nothing but pissing off the team and Carmelo. You might call those offers working, I call it pissing away our chances. Everyone around the world is laughing at our offer and it's making them and us look bad. The sooner we get this done, the sooner the team can get back to playing at a high level. Regardless of whether or not the fans chant, the players are still playing bad because of it. IMO it's pretty bad when a coach blames the fans for psyching out the players.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
It's not that its giving Donnie an epiphany or anything, but it's putting pressure on him to get the job done.

I don't know about you, but low-balling a team to get their star player is doing nothing but pissing off the team and Carmelo. You might call those offers working, I call it pissing away our chances. Everyone around the world is laughing at our offer and it's making them and us look bad. The sooner we get this done, the sooner the team can get back to playing at a high level. Regardless of whether or not the fans chant, the players are still playing bad because of it. IMO it's pretty bad when a coach blames the fans for psyching out the players.

agree on everything you say.
its the Nba these players make millions.
stop having soft feelings towards these guys.
Ny is the best city in the world f*ck wat u guys say.

KBlack25

Starter
Putting the heat on?

Chanting "Fire Isiah" and "Fire Layden" for over a year didn't get them fired any faster...

The front office will do what they want when they want.

KingofNy

Starter
Putting the heat on?

Chanting "Fire Isiah" and "Fire Layden" for over a year didn't get them fired any faster...

The front office will do what they want when they want.

They might do what they want and when they want but we "the fans" have more power than you might think. At the end of the day the NBA is a business... If you don't keep your customers happy you lose money... We are the customers.

The current FO is lucky that our fans are so loyal. I don't know how loyal they'll be if this deal falls through though. Fans can only take so much and their unhappyness could easily get people fired and/or hired. Them keeping the customers happy keeps their pockets lined with dough.