Game thread: New York Knicks @ San Antonio Spurs 8:30 10/23/2019 [Game #1]

mafra

Legend
Thanks for the breakdown Maf, I know other teams have many bright spots on them. Hopefully some of our young guys figure it out. This is very embarrassing 3yr players or better struggling worse than rookies

Sure wish we had a chance at Doncic, even #kporzee looks incredibly 2nd fiddle to him

You said we should?ve jumped up for Doncic and you were absolutely right. He?s a star. KP his typical self. 3-7 from downtown with a block.... 7-16 shooting... got to FT line 7 times.. . Only 4 rebounds to go with 4 TO. He had 2 assists. An ideal #2 indeed, if healthy. Best ability is availability...

Knicks did play a well-oiled machine. For this cluster muck group of misfits, thrown into the same pot 2 weeks ago... they competed and played defense with effort and hands and will
And athleticism.

However, we struggled on the glass big time. And lots of things went SA?s way in this game too.

But RJ is worth price of admission....

What about Kyrie tho? A fifty burger.

Kiyaman

Legend
Randle had a very quiet 25.... but he was very active and created a lot of turmoil with his energy. He was scoring within the transition flow, not really in ISO post up situations.

I saw a complete lack of fundamentals, in terms of passing and defensive positioning from the non-D guys. DSJ and Knox don’t even really know how to move their feet to stay in front. The passing was atrocious... several times we simply handed SA the ball.

Ellington stole minutes away from Dotson and was the impetus for SA going on their 14-0 run.

Knox did his usual knock down 3 shots in 4 possessions then disappear.

DSJ and Frank Both in the running for arguably worst 3 minute spurt in NBA history. And this was odd bc both started off great in their first touch.

RJ is already using his teen body to his advantage. He’s gonna be a bull in 5 years. 9-13 shooting!

Our best offense was our defense... this is what will be our staple if we want to win 30+ games.

EP
RJ
Morris
Randle
MRob/Portis

This is the group that will Effort and defend and have this team competitive. They were impressive tonight, willing team to stay in the game.

The O only guys will hopefully help with their scoring on most nights, the depth advantage just wasn’t there in SA against that machine.

But if DSJ can’t be an offensive force, this lineup doesn’t have enough to close out games.

Fizdale has no clue on how to coach PG .. Fiz was supposed to pull DSJ to the side on each of DSJ fouls to tell him to stop playing nervous in the first game of the season, and try to speed the tempo up by having teammates run with him to gain some meaningful stats .. the same thing he should have did when Frank was on the court. Only a BUM head coach don't stand up to advise his young PG from the side line on how to win.

Broadway

All Star
You said we should’ve jumped up for Doncic and you were absolutely right. He’s a star. KP his typical self. 3-7 from downtown with a block.... 7-16 shooting... got to FT line 7 times.. . Only 4 rebounds to go with 4 TO. He had 2 assists. An ideal #2 indeed, if healthy. Best ability is availability...

Knicks did play a well-oiled machine. For this cluster muck group of misfits, thrown into the same pot 2 weeks ago... they competed and played defense with effort and hands and will
And athleticism.

However, we struggled on the glass big time. And lots of things went SA’s way in this game too.

But RJ is worth price of admission....

What about Kyrie tho? A fifty burger.

Oh and we could've had Donovan Mitchell instead of Knits. On a night where Mike Conley goes 1-16fg he's like alright I got us and drops a cool 32/12 to bail his back court mate and team out tonight. We're still soul searching for a point guard and guard...SIGH!

tiger0330

Legend
We root for wins, baby. This ain’t last season. Especially now with lottery changes.

RJ, MRob, Randle. This is the foundation. Everything else is just space.... let’s hope we find takers and we start accumulating assets. This team is unwatchable tho, again, other than rooting for the growth of those 3 players.

I’m not going through this again tho. I’ll watch DAL, LAC, POR and just kind of check in on my Knicks this season.
Fizdale, Perry and Mills have to go tho.
I hope you don’t give up posting here Mafra. We need your insights around here but I understand why you wouldn’t want to follow the team if we’re trash, so many hopes that turned into disappointments starting with Phil Jackson.

Do you guys think that the last 5 have been the darkest time in franchise history, the 2 record tying losing seasons certainly say so.

tiger0330

Legend
[h=1]Knicks show promise in season-opening loss to Spurs[/h]
This was the headline in the NY Post. I agree, let’s give it 10 games before we pronounce the Knicks dead.

mafra

Legend
RJ Barrett had an efficient debut on Wednesday against the Spurs, making 9-of-13 attempts and 2-of-4 free throws for 21 points to go with five rebounds, two assists, two steals and one 3-pointer in 37 minutes.

Barrett became the second youngest player to score 20 or more points in their NBA debut, falling just shy of some guy named LeBron James. He also became just the second Knicks rookie to score 20+ in his first NBA game. If anything is clear about Barrett, it's that his scoring chops are far beyond his years. Coach David Fizdale praised his ball-handling ability, stating that his play forced him to start Allonzo Trier as the nominal point guard with Barrett doing more of the creating. He'll struggle with efficiency and consistency, as most rookies do, but Barrett has some really nice upside.

(Rotoworld)

I believe Ewing had a 18 & 6 debut with Knicks, vs PHI maybe?

mafra

Legend
3) Julius Randle was just as advertised in his Knicks' debut. The point-forward showed off his versatility as both a low-post threat and a facilitator. He finished the night with 25 points, 11 rebounds, and six assists, but late in the fourth quarter, Randle landed awkwardly and appeared to suffer a left knee injury. He eventually limped off the floor, though he would return to the game after a brief spell.

mafra

Legend
https://nypost.com/2019/10/23/rj-barretts-tantalizing-debut-shows-knicks-everything/

Fizdale made the surprise announcement before the game that Barrett would start at the point alongside backcourt mate Allonzo Trier. It meant Dennis Smith Jr., Elfrid Payton and Frank Ntilikina would be on the bench despite being the three players presumed to be competing for the starting job at point guard.

?I just think he can handle it,? Fizdale said of Barrett beforehand. ?He just has a way about him. I really like the way he plays the game.?

It seemed a bit of a reach, especially on opening night, when Barrett, the third pick in the draft, had enough on his plate playing his first pro game on the road. Barrett saw limited duty at the point during the preseason as Smith, Payton and Ntilikina took their turns trying to impress.

But Fizdale apparently couldn?t help himself and started Barrett at the point against the Spurs. The early results weren?t impressive, though Barrett shouldn?t be blamed. If we learned anything Wednesday night, it?s that Barrett has what it takes to be the kind of impact player the Knicks sorely need, but not at point guard. At least not right now.

With Barrett at the point the Knicks started slowly and finished a mess, while somewhere in-between Payton made a strong claim to be the team?s real point guard. Barrett had all three of his turnovers in the first half, when a disjointed Knicks offense made just one of its first 11 shots to trail 10-2. When Smith entered the game for Trier and took over the point, the Knicks were down 14-4.

Before long, Payton (eight assists, five steals, zero turnovers, 11 points) was in the game, running an offense that started to look more efficient. A 59-51 Spurs lead at halftime changed to a 78-73 Knicks advantage on a Barrett dunk with 3:10 left in the third quarter.

?He turned our pace up and started making plays for other people,? Fizdale said of Payton.

By the fourth quarter, the Knicks looked a team worth watching, going toe-to-toe with the Spurs. But with the Knicks up 97-91, Barrett went to the point again and the offense bogged down as the Spurs took a 99-97 lead before Fizdale rushed Payton back in the game. By then the Spurs had enough momentum to complete an 18-0 run.

Still, it was a solid debut for Barrett, the 19-year-old from Duke. There was no stage fright, and when relieved of playing point guard, he flourished at both ends of the floor, adding two steals to his line.

?When the popcorn is popping that kid?s ready,? Fizdale said.

Knicks fans might be disappointed the NBA lottery ruined any chance of getting Zion Williamson. But Barrett shouldn?t be looked at as a consolation prize. He has an NBA body (6-foot-7, 214 pounds) and has a hunger to succeed.

?It felt great,? Barrett said. ?My first NBA game. Just to even play in the game felt great. I?m not happy we lost, but it?s just one of 82.?

Fizdale said he wants Barrett to settle into these basics: ?Competing his butt off defensively, playing offense with a clear mind, using all of his skill sets running the floor, attacking and making plays for other people.?

All that seems to come naturally to Barrett, who can be the kind of cornerstone the Knicks need ? as long as someone else plays point guard.

?

Reads like George Willis pins blame for this loss squarely on Fiz?s illogical experiment to roll out RJ at the point to start game and at critical juncture in the fourth, no?

Ok,
Not sure what game you guys were watching....
This is the game I was watching... The Spurs committed 20 turnovers in the first 3 quarters and that was from playing sloppy. Those turnovers were not from the Knicks defense. Barrett, Trier, DSJ, and Randle were being beat like a drum. It was said the that Randle had a quiet 20 something points. Well, Barrett 20 didn't wake me up. The only bright spot last night was M. Morris. Of all the newbie's, he showed that he could be a keeper. This game was close at all. Please don't fool yourselves. Spurs turn it on when they wanted to and needed to.
The player that stood out the most was SA Murray. Now if you want to talk about someone this kid can play. No Hype like we are trying to build up RJ.

Ok,
Not sure what game you guys were watching....
This is the game I was watching... The Spurs committed 20 turnovers in the first 3 quarters and that was from playing sloppy. Those turnovers were not from the Knicks defense. Barrett, Trier, DSJ, and Randle were being beat like a drum. It was said the that Randle had a quiet 20 something points. Well, Barrett 20 didn't wake me up. The only bright spot last night was M. Morris. Of all the newbie's, he showed that he could be a keeper. This game was close at all. Please don't fool yourselves. Spurs turn it on when they wanted to and needed to.
The player that stood out the most was SA Murray. Now if you want to talk about someone this kid can play. No Hype like we are trying to build up RJ.

Yeah, Murray is on track to be the next young player who turns into a 2-way superstar under Popovich. Late 1st round pick in 2016. Missed all of last season with a torn ACL. Going to maybe be a household name by the end of this season.

mafra

Legend
Who is RJ Barrett? How to quantify how much juice this man has in his belly, motoring this man?s will?

All he has heard was how he can?t shoot.... So, he went into the lab and put in the work and what does he do in his debut?

Well....

RJ Barrett is 1 of 7 guards and forwards who scored at least 20 points & shot 69% (NICE) from the field. He's the youngest to do it. And interestingly enough, his godfather Steve Nash is also one of the 7.

Take that doubters. So, what?s the next complaint?

I don't remember RJ making 1 jumper last night. I pay attention to everyone of his and didn't see him make 1. The one time he drove to the right to the basket he missed the shoot.
BTW, none of his godfather blood, genes are in him. God parents take over if the parent meet with a tragedy. They don't shoot your jumper for you or bring ball up the court or play defense for you.
I am not where you are in this evaluation of RJ. Other pla

I don?t remember seeing a shot chart from RJ, but I feel like most of his made shots were layups and a dunk.

mafra

Legend
He went 1-3 from downtown...

so, is it a bad thing he?s sticking to what he does well?

If he doesn?t have a smooth, consistent jumper by 2022.... then I would start to worry.

He went 1-3 from downtown...

so, is it a bad thing he?s sticking to what he does well?

If he doesn?t have a smooth, consistent jumper by 2022.... then I would start to worry.

No, it?s a good thing that he is attacking the hoop. You can have a long career doing that well. But, much like Lebron, adding a consistent outside shot would be great. Small sample size so far.

RJ does not move the needle for the Knicks, Period. A #3 pick should make you better. Again, look at Wes Unseld did for the Bullets. Now that is why we don't draft him instead drop back. Unseld should be the barometer that we draft a player at #3 or higher.
I'm tired of losing and dump unimaginative picks in the draft. Let give you an example -- 2 years ago in the draft we pick Knots. IMO we should trade back with Clippers who had the 12 & 13 picks. Porter Jr. did fall in that draft. We could have had Knots, Porter Jr and Robinson.
Not trying to rain on anybody parade for RJ. I just think a #3 should be a lot more Unseld(moving the needle and your team)!!!

I may not be there in 2022!!
As for continuing to take ball to the basket(left side). That Great!! Let's not be afraid to critical of RJ. Looks like he got the green light to what Trier did last year. Vet. and would be F.A. are paying attention. We all saw what this pay off season.

mafra

Legend
RJ does not move the needle for the Knicks, Period. A #3 pick should make you better. Again, look at Wes Unseld did for the Bullets. Now that is why we don't draft him instead drop back. Unseld should be the barometer that we draft a player at #3 or higher.
I'm tired of losing and dump unimaginative picks in the draft. Let give you an example -- 2 years ago in the draft we pick Knots. IMO we should trade back with Clippers who had the 12 & 13 picks. Porter Jr. did fall in that draft. We could have had Knots, Porter Jr and Robinson.
Not trying to rain on anybody parade for RJ. I just think a #3 should be a lot more Unseld(moving the needle and your team)!!!

Wes Unseld? He was 22 as a rookie, after playing 4 years at Louisville. If you want to compare Wes to RJ, you compare Barrett?s rookie year in NBA to Wes?s as a freshman at UL.... oh, wait, you can?t.... bc Wes sat as a freshman at UL... Wes didn?t even play!

Wes!

So, in 3 years, when RJ is 22, then we can compare how his season went compared to what a 22 yr old rookie Wes did...

Kiyaman

Legend
Who is RJ Barrett? How to quantify how much juice this man has in his belly, motoring this man?s will?

All he has heard was how he can?t shoot.... So, he went into the lab and put in the work and what does he do in his debut?

Well....

RJ Barrett is 1 of 7 guards and forwards who scored at least 20 points & shot 69% (NICE) from the field. He's the youngest to do it. And interestingly enough, his godfather Steve Nash is also one of the 7.

Take that doubters. So, what?s the next complaint?

There shouldn't be any complaints bout the rookie RJ Barrett .. there should only be question on how do you coach RJ throughout his rookie season ???
1) Should we struggle the season by putting a rookie RJ at the PG spot like Fiz did last night? SMH Fizdale's a JOKE!
2) Should we play RJ at the SG spot? As a back-court tandem alongside PG-Payton or PG-Frank or PG-DSJ?
3) Should we play RJ at the SF spot? As a catch n shoot wing, and a wing slasher?
4) Should we play RJ in certain lineups as a multi-positional player in his rookie season?