Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Atlanta Hawks 5/26/2021 7:30 pm [Game #2]

mafra

Legend
Close game on a 10-1 run....

First playoff win when trailing at halftime by 13 or more since game 3 or something 1970 vs Lakers.

mafra

Legend
A potentially huge swing occurred around 8 minute mark. Bullock picks Young?s pocket and is off for a layup... foul. He then forced a tie-up. Foul. Then, Capella sets an illegal screen... no foul.

That?s the stuff that pisses me off. Credit to the Knicks for staying in it and finishing the game regardless of the zebras.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Good win. Wasn't pretty, but they got it going, including Randle. Hopefully Randle got his nerves or whatever out of the way and they get things really going the rest of the series.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yes sir, a come-back WIN .. Series Tied 1-1 .... Guess we will steal a win in Atlanta
Go Knicks !!!

Time to watch Ja Morrant vs Donovan Mitchell ???

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
They held the Hawks to 35 second half pts. Thats flat out playing defense, Bullock guarded Trae well, harrased the hell out of him and should have gotten a jump ball tying him up instead of getting a foul. I'm sure thats going to come up in the post game whether Bull is going to get the assignment to cover Trae going forward.

Feels good to know this series will come back to NY again. This means Knicks will still be playing basketball in June.

Need to get at least 1 in Atlanta.

Thibs did with Trae Young what he has done before against star PGs. Send the defense after him as soon as he gets over half court, often sending 2 guys at him once he gets near the perimeter. Need to keep it up.

Love him or hate him, Trae Young is an elite offensive player. Make him work for it and have to play out of control on every play. Make him find his teammates. Make him do it against bigger defenders.

mafra

Legend
Young became the first Hawk to score 30 points in each of his first two playoff games and both of them came in the Garden, where Michael Jordan last did it in 1989.

jimkcchief88

All Star
A potentially huge swing occurred around 8 minute mark. Bullock picks Young?s pocket and is off for a layup... foul. He then forced a tie-up. Foul. Then, Capella sets an illegal screen... no foul.

That?s the stuff that pisses me off. Credit to the Knicks for staying in it and finishing the game regardless of the zebras.

Me2. They spoke on it during the TNT broadcast. How we calls that bad in front of Spike and 15k frenzied fans in the Garden is beyond me:(

jimkcchief88

All Star
Feels good to know this series will come back to NY again. This means Knicks will still be playing basketball in June.

Need to get at least 1 in Atlanta.

Thibs did with Trae Young what he has done before against star PGs. Send the defense after him as soon as he gets over half court, often sending 2 guys at him once he gets near the perimeter. Need to keep it up.

Love him or hate him, Trae Young is an elite offensive player. Make him work for it and have to play out of control on every play. Make him find his teammates. Make him do it against bigger defenders.
Can?t believe it took losing game 1 for Thibbs to realize TY needs the Steph treatment. I?m an old Big 8 fan so I do keep an eye on OU and TY tore it up. Gotta make someone else beat you!

mafra

Legend
I still remember wishing we had the first pick and got Rose, that we took the kid from from
uSC and NYC in Gibson, that we hired Thibbs. Sucked watching that in Chicago....

Here they are now, all these years later.... and despite ATL having more talent.... we got our first playoff win in 8 years.

tiger0330

Legend
I still remember wishing we had the first pick and got Rose, that we took the kid from from
uSC and NYC in Gibson, that we hired Thibbs. Sucked watching that in Chicago....

Here they are now, all these years later.... and despite ATL having more talent.... we got our first playoff win in 8 years.

Kiya wanted to sign Taj to a multi year deal and I said signing a 35 year old vet for more than a 1 year deal was stupid but the guy has been good and shows he's far from done. Glad we got him and maybe we should give him a 2 year deal with the second year a team option.

mafra

Legend
I?m Hearing that Jax from MEM is a target, if he?s fallen out of favor in MEM or if D Brooks supplants him. I believe his father works with Knicks. Anyway, I wouldn?t be surprised if they swapped MItch for Jax.

Jax, Noel and Taj as the C depth?

tiger0330

Legend
JR didn't have a great night but did enough. Bull and Burks finished, I would go with those 2 to finish the game for the remainder of the series.
Thibs final adjustment was to go with a lineup he did not use all season of Bull, Burks, Rose, JR and Taj. It worked, Trae in the final 5 minutes got off one shot because of Bull covering him like a glove.

KingCharles34

All Star
Great win for us last night fellas. D Rose showing he can lead a team and still play big minutes. Hes one of the best stories in the history of the nba. I dont know how anyone could possibly hate him

The role players stepped up too. Bullock and Taj were very effective. Randle got it going in the 2nd half

I think we can definitely get a win in ATL. I dont think thats one of the tougher places to win on the road and the Hawks are also young + inexperienced

I do however wish not just the Knicks fans but all fans would act more mature and respectful. Theres no need to be swearing, spitting, throwing popcorn or especially using racial slurs. Any fans that do any of these should be removed from the game, beaten and arrested

Meanwhile its unfortunate so many are scratching their heads, wondering why fans act like this. It is encouraged by the NBA itself through marketing and consumerism. Then it gets hyped up by soap opera hosts like Stephen A, Max, Skip and whoever else. People take it too far and idolize their sports team. Im a knicks fan til the end but if we lose ill be ok and look forward to next year

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Great win for us last night fellas. D Rose showing he can lead a team and still play big minutes. Hes one of the best stories in the history of the nba. I dont know how anyone could possibly hate him

Meanwhile its unfortunate so many are scratching their heads, wondering why fans act like this. It is encouraged by the NBA itself through marketing and consumerism. Then it gets hyped up by soap opera hosts like Stephen A, Max, Skip and whoever else. People take it too far and idolize their sports team. Im a knicks fan til the end but if we lose ill be ok and look forward to next year
It's a joy to watch Rose and especially him being on the Knicks.

Good point about those sports hosts. I used to like First Take, but lately I don't care for it. There's a difference between talking trashing in (at least intended) good fun, it's another thing for these people on TV who's job is slandering people. It is especially ironic that Stephen A. brings up racism a lot, yet he takes it too far with athletes, going beyond constructive criticism, not treating them like human beings. Stuff like that used to be funny to me, but as I've matured, it's just stupid. I used to post my frustration and stuff with players in the past, but there's a point where it comes disrespectful. I much prefer Skip and Shannon. Skip is awfully negative too though. Shannon keeps it all in good fun, usually anyway.

Another thing we these sports shows is it's so obvious we don't get real opinions often. They just disagree for the sake of it. That's not good TV. If it's gonna be done, go all the way like Ryan Hollins who was so ridiculous it was funny. I like Inside The NBA because you can tell everybody's being real.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
It's a joy to watch Rose and especially him being on the Knicks.

Good point about those sports hosts. I used to like First Take, but lately I don't care for it. There's a difference between talking trashing in (at least intended) good fun, it's another thing for these people on TV who's job is slandering people. It is especially ironic that Stephen A. brings up racism a lot, yet he takes it too far with athletes, going beyond constructive criticism, not treating them like human beings. Stuff like that used to be funny to me, but as I've matured, it's just stupid. I used to post my frustration and stuff with players in the past, but there's a point where it comes disrespectful. I much prefer Skip and Shannon. Skip is awfully negative too though. Shannon keeps it all in good fun, usually anyway.

Another thing we these sports shows is it's so obvious we don't get real opinions often. They just disagree for the sake of it. That's not good TV. If it's gonna be done, go all the way like Ryan Hollins who was so ridiculous it was funny. I like Inside The NBA because you can tell everybody's being real.

Yeah it does bother me when they slander athletes too. They are still human beings. Its gotta be alot of pressure for them more so now then ever

I still watch first take, not sure why. But yeah i do think Shannon is the best and most fair out of all of them. I agree with everything you said and its crazy how much perspective changes with age

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yeah it does bother me when they slander athletes too. They are still human beings. Its gotta be alot of pressure for them more so now then ever

I still watch first take, not sure why. But yeah i do think Shannon is the best and most fair out of all of them. I agree with everything you said and its crazy how much perspective changes with age
I watch it sometimes still too, especially on YouTube nowadays since I'm either busy or don't like watching TV much until around night time. Stephen A. is a legend, and he may really be a good guy at heart, but the show is repetitive and negative now.