Mike D'antoni is going to ruin everything.

The biggest obstacle the Knicks have in winning the Eastern Conferenc in future years is not LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose or Paul Pierce. It's Mike D’Antoni.

The former Coach of the Year had a great roster in Phoenix, possibly the best roster to never win an NBA title, but the D’Antoni Suns never had to face a powerful dynasty like the Jordan runner-ups or the Kobe/Shaq/NBA referee-victimized Sacramento Kings.With two-time MVP Steve Nash running the offense and tempo, D’Antoni’s job was easier than being Martin Brodeur’s backup during the Devils’ Stanley Cup years.

During D’Antoni’s reign in Phoenix, the biggest nemesis the Suns had were the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks, and both teams had inferior rosters compared to the Suns.

D’Antoni’s lack of any emphasis on defense made the Suns unable to make a stop in crucial situations. Gregg Popovich consistently out-coached D’Antoni in the playoffs, and there were no answers or adjustments during the game to counter.

And finally, D’Antoni’s failure to utilize his bench led to players being worn out by later rounds in the playoffs. D’Antoni’s style requires more than an eight- or nine-man rotation throughout the season, which he clings to for dear life.

In 2006, after falling to Dallas in the Western Conference Finals, an exhausted Shawn Marion stated that the team did not have anything left. So the following season, what did Coach D’Antoni do? He clung for dear life to the eight- or nine-man rotation, splurging to the 10-man rotation in blowouts.

Has D’Antoni changed his ways? No! Seems like when the going gets tough, D’Antoni’s bench keeps shrinking. In the eight games before acquiring Anthony, the Knicks averaged a nine-man rotation. After acquiring Anthony, the Knicks have been averaging close to a nine-man rotation in games decided by 10 points or less.

The New York Knicks will never win a championship with Mike D'antoni as a coach. Hopefully, the New York Knicks realize this before the window of opportunity closes like it did in Phoenix.

Doc Rivers is earning slightly under $6 million this year. The Knicks need to show Doc Rivers the money. The Knicks need to make Doc Rivers the highest paid coach in North American sports.

This past week, the New York Knicks have announced they plan on raising ticket prices next season. The same New York Knicks, who were irrelevant for the past decade, will increase ticket prices by an average of 49 percent.

Mr. Dolan, if you are going to charge as much as the Lakers, then you need to start winning titles like them as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...h-for-the-new-york-knicks-to-win-an-nba-title

Last edited:

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer
I am not big on D'antoni but I do not hate him as well. I agree that he needs to focus more on defense, but do you really thing just changing his philosophy will make the knicks a top defensive team? Its a two way street, the players have to want to play defense and you also need the right personnel, like I dunno an actual CENTER! As much as I love Amare and Carmelo they dont give it their all on defense. So relax, hop off D'antoni lol

Btw Doc Rivers REALLLY?:wtf: the coach who was handed a COMPLETE championship caliber roster just like that idiot coaching Miami? You really think Doc Rivers will turn the knicks into a top defensive team? your smoking that good shit:smokin:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I am not big on D'antoni but I do not hate him as well. I agree that he needs to focus more on defense, but do you really thing just changing his philosophy will make the knicks a top defensive team? Its a two way street, the players have to want to play defense and you also need the right personnel, like I dunno an actual CENTER! As much as I love Amare and Carmelo they dont give it their all on defense. So relax, hop off D'antoni lol

Btw Doc Rivers REALLLY?:wtf: the coach who was handed a COMPLETE championship caliber roster just like that idiot coaching Miami? You really think Doc Rivers will turn the knicks into a top defensive team? your smoking that good shit:smokin:

They would be a top ten team for sure. Absolutely.

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer

I got to admit I don't like the sound of Amar'e amd Melo not giving it their all. Kobe was practicing after the heat game for 2 hrs!! That's what great players do man .They practice on areas they could improve. I don't want players on the knicks who are not giving it their all.
I mean do we want to see a championship at all if that's the case. Do we want to be 2nd fiddle to the bulls for years to come where they beat the crap out of us because we can't play defense ?

Heck no, we need a Defensive guru for these guys, Are we going to have a nice new arena with hiked up prices to see a mediocre team who can't get out of the 1 or 2nd round for years to come.
I want us to win a chip in the near future not see us lose to the heat or bulls because we are not giving it our all on the Defensive side. No that has to change . :teeth:

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer
I dont want people on here to think Im dissing amare and carmelo cause im not. Amare is the reason we are where we are today and carmelo as well but I just dont see it on the defensive end every night from them

KingofNy

Starter

I hate to keep hearing the fans blaming the player's and acting like they're all lazy and unmotivated and that's the reason that they're not playing well on D. Other than the last TWO seasons, Antoni has pretty much had championship caliber team his whole career as a coach and has never had a decent defense. NEVER.

Defense is more than just the will to play, it takes daily coaching and mentoring, vigiliant pre-game scouting of the opposing teams, and a mindset that he obviously doesn't have. As I said before NO team has EVER won a championship and been in the bottom 5 in the league in defense and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

All you guys who are happy with Antoni and happy with us letting opposing teams score 106+ on us nightly need to wake up and realize that this isn't the same team from the last two years...We need to win and win now because in a few years who knows what our roster will look like with the damage to Amare's knees and Melo's contract being up. Does everyone really want to waste this years with a coach that doesn't give a crap about D? Do you want a coach that thinks JJ is a starting Center? Do you want a guy that outcasts his own players if they don't perfectly fit in his system? Really? Come on guys, wake up.

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
I hate to keep hearing the fans blaming the player's and acting like they're all lazy and unmotivated and that's the reason that they're not playing well on D. Other than the last TWO seasons, Antoni has pretty much had championship caliber team his whole career as a coach and has never had a decent defense. NEVER.

Defense is more than just the will to play, it takes daily coaching and mentoring, vigiliant pre-game scouting of the opposing teams, and a mindset that he obviously doesn't have. As I said before NO team has EVER won a championship and been in the bottom 5 in the league in defense and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

All you guys who are happy with Antoni and happy with us letting opposing teams score 106+ on us nightly need to wake up and realize that this isn't the same team from the last two years...We need to win and win now because in a few years who knows what our roster will look like with the damage to Amare's knees and Melo's contract being up. Does everyone really want to waste this years with a coach that doesn't give a crap about D? Do you want a coach that thinks JJ is a starting Center? Do you want a guy that outcasts his own players if they don't perfectly fit in his system? Really? Come on guys, wake up.

I've been awake trust me, I Agree . I mean look at the lakers grant you they have more talent. But do you think lakers would lose to dallas after that terrible loss to miami. If knicks had played dallas the way they did in miami, We wouldn't have had our heads handed to us..Again ! The Mavericks blew us out the first time earlier at msg. I understand knicks being tired. But it look like they didn't even try in dallas.

Horrible performance they gave up 129 points to dallas, and 116 points to Cleveland !!!! loss 3 times to the worse team in the nba.:barf:I'm still trying to get over that one.
If we had a Coach that knocked some sense into these guys, and new about defense, and make them practice hard in the off season on their short comings defensively. perhaps this team will be alot better thus more successful.

I like your Starks avatar btw..My favorite player, always tough on defense to. Miss those guys .:gony:

Last edited:
It's kind of wrong to say other than the past two years, that Mike D'Antoni has never had a decent defense during his "entire coaching career"... How many years did it take BB of the Browns & Patriots to lead his team to the playoffs or Conf Finals?

Since when has 4 years been considered an entire coaching career?

MDA made the playoffs 4 consecutive seasons of 54+ wins. Two of those four years were of 60+ wins. Two trips to the Western Conf Finals & pushed the Spurs to a game 7. His PHX team gave San Antonio all they could handle & more. Just like you cant fault Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Harper, Mason, Charles Smith or Riley for never getting past MJ & the Bulls; You cant consider MDA a ''career loser'' with no ability or potential to lead NY out of the much weaker Eastern Conf (when compared to the West of 7 years ago)

There is no reason why any coach should be judged or forced to hold his head down after getting eliminated by a Dynasty Spurs team during a 7 game series. SA was a dynasty waaayy before MDA.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Funny, Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix teams ranked in the top 10 defensively for many years. What you are failing to realize is that a well rounded team like LA or Boston is a combination of coach, roster and system. Neither STAT nor Melo has played D consistently during their career and now that they are here and playing their game exactly how they've played it through out their career; it's now the fault of D'Antoni?!?! It's Mike D's system that has these guys playing career years and you want to change it??? STAT and Melo are not Paul Pierce, Garnett or LeBron... STAT and Melo are pretty much 1 dimensional players and they will be dominate on offense and mediocre defensive players AT BEST. What we need is a dominate rebounder to prevent the other team to get 2nd and third chances... The best we can hope for is that the Knicks can get that type of guy this off season to flank STAT... Tyson Chandler might be that answer.... Okafor??? Reggie Evans??? Maybe Chandler to start and Evans off the bench so that we always have a rebounder on the floor?? Both are free agents this off season.

Funny, Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix teams ranked in the top 10 defensively for many years. What you are failing to realize is that a well rounded team like LA or Boston is a combination of coach, roster and system. Neither STAT nor Melo has played D consistently during their career and now that they are here and playing their game exactly how they've played it through out their career; it's now the fault of D'Antoni?!?! It's Mike D's system that has these guys playing career years and you want to change it??? STAT and Melo are not Paul Pierce, Garnett or LeBron... STAT and Melo are pretty much 1 dimensional players and they will be dominate on offense and mediocre defensive players AT BEST. What we need is a dominate rebounder to prevent the other team to get 2nd and third chances... The best we can hope for is that the Knicks can get that type of guy this off season to flank STAT... Tyson Chandler might be that answer.... Okafor??? Reggie Evans??? Maybe Chandler to start and Evans off the bench so that we always have a rebounder on the floor?? Both are free agents this off season.
I laughed after you said the D'antoni suns were ranked in the top 10 defensive teams for many years, and if you are really a knicks fan you would know that it is nearly impossible to get Tyson Chandler this offseason.

D’Antoni’s lack of any emphasis on defense made the Suns unable to make a stop in crucial situations. Gregg Popovich consistently out-coached D’Antoni in the playoffs, and there were no answers or adjustments during the game to counter.

And finally, D’Antoni’s failure to utilize his bench led to players being worn out by later rounds in the playoffs. D’Antoni’s style requires more than an eight- or nine-man rotation throughout the season, which he clings to for dear life.

Well if u actually watched the celtics before the big 3 u would know that Jefferson showed flashes of potential but he was injured a lot. He had a breakout year in 06-07, but he still missed some games. Also in 06-07, Tony Allen missed most of the year as did Wally Szczerbiak AND Paul Pierce. You can basically throw that year out. I think Doc is a good coach, true he didn't win a lot before last year, but the Celtics roster wasn't very impressive, the best compliment to Pierce during that time was Ricky Davis. And he has a championship, which isn't something many active coaches have.

He led a Magic team that nobody thought would win a playoff berth but under his guidance, they got the playoff berth. Doc can pull a play right out of his *** and it will work. Doc has amazing offense and his philosophy's work. Defense, ball movement, and teamwork.

Say what you want, but the guy did coach a team to a title. No doubt certain coaches are luckier than others when it comes to having top notch talent on there teams, but where would Phil Jackson be without Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe/? I feel STAT,Melo,Williams,and Douglas can all become excellent defenders they had a defensive minded coach.

How will MDA "ruin NY"? He's already turned us around; just like he also turned the Suns franchise around. Everyone knows a good coach can always win with a great team. The true sign of a great coach is; one who can take losing teams & turn them into contenders. MDA is more than an outstanding coach, he's an excellent one. He became the 2nd of 3 coaches in NBA history to follow a previous teams 50 loss season with a 60 win season the following year. In 04-05 he increased the Suns win total from 29 to 62. 16.2 pts per game increase; the biggest since the shot clock merger of 54-55. Ruin Ny? lol he recorded a record of 253-136 during 5 years with PHX. Thats a .650 winning %. 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with 54+ win teams. 2 with 60+. NBA coach of the year in 05. No defense? Then explain beating DAL in 05 4-2 (Conf Semi's) No D? Beat Kobe & LA in back to back playoff apperances. 4-3 in 06 & 4-1 in 07. 8-4 playoff record vs Bryant & LA. 4-4 vs Dirk & the Mavs (1-1). 8-3 vs MEM/LAC combined. "ruin" us?

How will MDA "ruin NY"? He's already turned us around; just like he also turned the Suns franchise around. Everyone knows a good coach can always win with a great team. The true sign of a great coach is; one who can take losing teams & turn them into contenders. MDA is more than an outstanding coach, he's an excellent one. He became the 2nd of 3 coaches in NBA history to follow a previous teams 50 loss season with a 60 win season the following year. In 04-05 he increased the Suns win total from 29 to 62. 16.2 pts per game increase; the biggest since the shot clock merger of 54-55. Ruin Ny? lol he recorded a record of 253-136 during 5 years with PHX. Thats a .650 winning %. 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with 54+ win teams. 2 with 60+. NBA coach of the year in 05. No defense? Then explain beating DAL in 05 4-2 (Conf Semi's) No D? Beat Kobe & LA in back to back playoff apperances. 4-3 in 06 & 4-1 in 07. 8-4 playoff record vs Bryant & LA. 4-4 vs Dirk & the Mavs (1-1). 8-3 vs MEM/LAC combined. "ruin" us?
He didn't turn us around, Donnie Walsh did, how can you say MDA is an "Outstanding" coach when he doesn't even teach defense. D?Antoni?s lack of any emphasis on defense made the Suns unable to make a stop in crucial situations. Gregg Popovich consistently out-coached D?Antoni in the playoffs, They beat the Mavs and Lakers by outscoring them and ingoring defense. D'antoni had one of the best rosters to never win a title but they never made it to the finals because he doesn't teach defense and they got outcoached.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I laughed after you said the D'antoni suns were ranked in the top 10 defensive teams for many years, and if you are really a knicks fan you would know that it is nearly impossible to get Tyson Chandler this offseason.

Uh, when you are done laughing look up the statistics for his Phoenix teams. During his tenure, his teams averaged in the top 10 for defensive rebounds, top 20 for offensive rebounds top 10 for blocks, top 10 for steals and top 25 in overall defense... So do your homework before blasting me!
Also, what does being a Knicks fan have anything to do with Tyson Chandler's free agency and the potential team that he will sign with??? If you are referring to the cap, that is still unkown, if you are referring to the looming lockout, I am treating this as if there isn't going to be one.
The Spurs beat everyone so what is your point???
More than 50% of NBA coaches use a short bench... In fact, your hero Popovich used a 8 man rotation during the 2002 championship run.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
Uh, when you are done laughing look up the statistics for his Phoenix teams. During his tenure, his teams averaged in the top 10 for defensive rebounds, top 20 for offensive rebounds top 10 for blocks, top 10 for steals and top 25 in overall defense... So do your homework before blasting me!
Also, what does being a Knicks fan have anything to do with Tyson Chandler's free agency and the potential team that he will sign with??? If you are referring to the cap, that is still unkown, if you are referring to the looming lockout, I am treating this as if there isn't going to be one.
The Spurs beat everyone so what is your point???
More than 50% of NBA coaches use a short bench... In fact, your hero Popovich used a 8 man rotation during the 2002 championship run.

I'm still laughing at you but as I laugh here this...All those stats mean shit when your team gives up 105+ on average which Antoni team's average. I can't believe you tried to use the stat in Bold in your argument... That is the reason Antoni sucks. LOL Antoni's teams have NEVER been in the top 20 in defense. Ever. Show me where you're getting your stats from that shows they ever were. You can't because it's not true. :boohoo:

Anyways...Antoni's D is in true form so far again today. 29 points against us in the 1st quarter at home to the Granger-less slumping Pacers? You're funny man.