home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Indiana PacersNew York Knicks
Tyrese Haliburton - Back spasms (QUEST)Mitchell Robinson - Stress injury on left ankle (OUT)
Bennedict Mathurin - Right shoulder surgery (OUT)Bojan Bogdanovic - Foot (OUT)
-Julius Randle - Right shoulder surgery (OUT)
-Duane Washington Jr. - Knee (OUT)
-Charlie Brown - Concussion (OUT)

Game Preview

The "Villanova Three" hit plenty of big shots Monday night for New York. Indiana didn't benefit from last-minute officiating calls.

In other words, Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals went exactly as the Knicks and Pacers expected.

Second-seeded New York will look to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series on Wednesday night when it hosts sixth-seeded Indiana.

The Knicks earned a 121-117 win in Game 1 Monday. Donte DiVincenzo put New York ahead for good by draining a tie-breaking 3-pointer with 40.1 seconds left and just 12 seconds after Pacers guard Aaron Nesmith was erroneously whistled for a kicked ball violation.

DiVincenzo, Jalen Brunson and Josh Hart, all of whom played on Villanova's national championship-winning team in 2016, combined to score 92 points for the Knicks. Brunson finished with a game-high 43 as he became the fourth player in NBA history -- along with Michael Jordan, Bernard King and Jerry West -- to score at least 40 points in four straight playoff games.

"He's the engine," Hart said. "We're going to go as far as he goes."

DiVincenzo, Brunson and Hart were especially effective in the fourth quarter, when they combined for 34 of the Knicks' 39 points. New York trailed 94-85 with 10:28 left before the trio scored the next 24 points for the hosts over a span of seven minutes.

"Go out there and just figure out how to win," Brunson said. "We knew we had to play better tonight. They had our number for most of the night. We just made a couple plays down the stretch."

The Pacers acknowledged they were displeased with the officiating down the stretch but also lamented their inability to close out the Knicks.

New York shot 65.0 percent from the field (26 of 40) from the field in the second half, including 63.6 percent (7 of 11) from 3-point range. The Knicks shot just 42.9 percent (18 of 42) from the field in the first 24 minutes, including 4 of 12 from beyond the arc.

"It's right after the game -- I'm a little fresh and open with my emotions about it, but we know at the end of the day that we can't get into that position," Turner said. "I think the Last 2 Minute Report, we're all looking forward to that coming out. There were two controversial calls."

Crew chief Zach Zarba said following the game that the kicked ball call on Nesmith was incorrect. Replays showed Brunson's pass glanced off Nesmith's hand and toward Pacers guard Andrew Nembhard.

"On the floor, we felt that would be a kicked ball violation," Zarba told a pool reporter. "Postgame review did show that it hit the defender's hand, which would be legal."

DiVincenzo helped to ice the win with 12.1 seconds left, when he drew a moving screen against Myles Turner. DiVincenzo was defending point guard Tyrese Haliburton when he fell as Turner set a pick. The Pacers challenged the call, which was upheld.

"We're not expecting to get calls in here," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "It'd be nice if they laid off that one, but they didn't. So that's just the way it goes. I mean, we challenged it, they reviewed it, they got a bunch of people in New Jersey that agreed with them."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks already up 24-13 with Anunoby, Brunson and DiVincenzo all hitting the three ball
OG with 10 pts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
24-13…. TO Indy. Obi drains a 3, Hart stripped by Obi. Take foul. They hit FT. Make a 3. Hart turns it over trying to inbound ball. Indy scores again. 11-0 run in 50 seconds.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
A damn fast 11-0 run for the Pacers to tie the game

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game Thread Rady .....
OG quick 10 pts in first quarter giving us a 11 pt lead
And Obi Toppin TIED the score at 24

Kiyaman

Legend
End of First Quarter .. Knicks 36 - Pacers 36

We had to put OG back in the game to regain the lead again but
Obi Toppin 11 points TIED the score at 36 points

mafra

Legend
36-33. Less than a second remains in 1Q. Obi bricks a 3 but stupid Deuce McBride shoves him. 3 FT. Obi drains all 3.

36-36 after 1.

This is why Deuce isn’t getting minutes last few games. You absolutely can’t have that.

Knicks shooting 70% from the field, 50% from downtown, but Indy is pressuring full court, swiping at balls and winning every hustle play. Indy crashing offensive glass…

Knicks have 1 offensive rebound and 4 turnovers. And to notice they aren’t favoring Knicks… despite Indy handchecking full court, Knicks have 2 FT attempts.

Achiwa with some quality minutes.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
End of 1st. Tied game at 36 after McBride fouled Toppin on a three pointer
The Pacers are extremely aggressive not giving the Knicks easy inbounds, they did this from game 1 putting extra pressure and forcing turnovers

mafra

Legend
Another bad first half from DDV. Nada offensives contribution. McBride is McBrick. Brunson went to locker room hurt with team up 7… 3 minutes left in 1Q. 8 minutes left in half and Knicks down 6. Obi on fire. Wide open looks tho… if JB hurt game is over.

mafra

Legend
End of 1st. Tied game at 36 after McBride fouled Toppin on a three pointer
The Pacers are extremely aggressive not giving the Knicks easy inbounds, they did this from game 1 putting extra pressure and forcing turnovers

Rick Carlisle smart. He saw how Knicks struggled with PHi in hiding ball and dealing with pressure. Hart struggles at times…. They have deep bench so smart of Indy to pressure NY.

mafra

Legend
3 NY and no Indy in paint. Missed shot. Nobody grabs ball, they tip it out… right to Indy. Drains a 3.

McConnell can’t be stopped. He is abusing McBride.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, they just showed the replay, looks like that thigh injury from late the first

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Haliburton drains a three, Pacers go up 64-54 as news on Brunson don’t stand good. Sore foot and questionable for the rest of the game

jimkcchief88

All Star
Now you get to see how we look without our MVP Kiya smh your Precious is in we gonna lose this game by double digits if JB is done:(

mafra

Legend
Knicks down 10 at the half. They allowed 36 points in the 1Q and 37 in the 2Q. Indy has 8 off rebounds and shooting 10-19 from downtown.

Brunson questionable to return. Missed final 15 minutes of first half. Knicks went from up 7 to down 10.

Still, despite all that, Hart had some careless turnovers, McBride with awful foul and Knicks missed a dunk, passed in a layup for a 3 (bricked), and missed a few easy looks… that’s difference in game.

It goes unnoticed, bc it’s not the 4th Q, late game situation… But Indy leads NBA (most FTs allowed per game). They pressure Knicks full court the entire first half, hand checking every ball handler and reaching in on every dribble and contesting every drive to hoop… yet, somehow, miraculously, they’ve only committed 6 fouls and allowed 8 FT (they average over 26 allowed per game). Now, if Knicks get a call that goes their way late… most will ignore the first 24 minutes of play and focus on the last 2 minutes.