bulls discuss melo for noah and others

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yes that's right but weren't we originally talking about championships. You wanted one NOW right??

Iverson led the Sixers to multiple playoff births including one to the Finals, but no championships as the main-guy-scorer. Melo is very similar to Iverson in that he is primarily a scorer and needs to be the main guy w the ball in hands.

He brings the hammer. Other than that, his tool bag is pretty light= no NBA championships as the main guy. It's pretty simple.

We don't need him on the Knicks. He won't compliment Amare as well as Gallo. :gony:

On the contrary, Melo is a very good off the ball player. He doesn't NEED the ball in his hands to create scoring opportunities. He's totally OK with having a PG facilitate the offense - that's why the Nuggets became so successful with Chauncey Billups running the offense and Melo playing off the ball.

Melo IS primarily a scorer but he's a good scorer to the point where he doesn't need to be the primary ball-handler of the team to succeed. After all, it was Billups, not Carmelo, who was the primary facilitator of that offense over in Denver.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
On the contrary, Melo is a very good off the ball player. He doesn't NEED the ball in his hands to create scoring opportunities. He's totally OK with having a PG facilitate the offense - that's why the Nuggets became so successful with Chauncey Billups running the offense and Melo playing off the ball.

I agree w you about Melo having good off the ball skills. He's extremely crafty when it comes to looking for scoring opportunities for himself, whether it's w the ball in his hands or w out it. Where he hurts his team is w too many shot attempts, while not actually putting in enough (=low to average FG %), which stagnates the O, resulting in teammates standing around watching him get off his attempts.

This works out to being a negative overall for the team. Melo will take a shot when he's covered believing he can make it instead of giving up the ball. When he drives and is help covered he won't kick out to shooters as often as you'd like. He instead goes into beast-mode and tries to dominate inside. Alot of the time he gets away w this if he misses because he's a real quick leaper w good instincts around the rim, resulting in put backs and tip-ins. But again teammates are standing around watching.

Yes Melo is not a good facilitator. And his teams have succeeded, for the most part inspite of his one dimensional game. I've been saying this all along. Thas the reason why they had to go out and get Billups; because he will drive, recieve help and kick. Billups is way more aware of the bigger picture than Melo -- that you can use the threat you bring to a game to make teammates better. That is one reason why (defense is another, Melo plays little) he's a champion in the NBA and Melo is only a champ on the college level.

Melo has growing to do in this respect.

Gallo IMO already understands how to create O for others making them better and more of a threat.. :gony:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
...Why are people harping all over Carmelo's scoring efficiency as if he's a god-awful player who only scores so many points because he takes too many shots?

Carmelo's career FG% is 45.9%...that's higher than Kobe's...keep in mind that Anthony has shot as high as 49.2% before (that was when Iverson was with the team and thus Carmelo didn't have to take nearly as many shots)...

If you complement Carmelo with quite possibly the most explosive and dominant big man in all of basketball, you really think he'll still only shoot in the 45% range?

I highly doubt it.

Carmelo can take over a game like no other. He's the best scorer in the NBA. He's not much of a facilitator, I'll give you that, but he's an excellent player off the ball which makes up for the fact that he doesn't really have any PG skills.

And for all that you say about Carmelo taking too many shot attempts and how that hurts the team in the long run...would you rather put the ball in the hands of Kenyon Martin?

Hell no. Melo is far and away the best scorer on that team. There's absolutely no question about that. That's why he took the most shots.

We give Melo a lightning quick PG like Raymond Felton, a dominant big man in Amar'e Stoudemire, and a sharpshooter in Danilo Gallinari, and I shudder to think how good he's going to be. Add on the athleticism and length of Anthony Randolph, and, well...that's a team right there.

Kiyaman

Legend

Melo IS primarily a scorer but he's a good scorer to the point where he doesn't need to be the primary ball-handler of the team to succeed. After all, it was Billups, not Carmelo, who was the primary facilitator of that offense over in Denver.

I agree, Melo is primarily a scorer u want to have the ball in all last-shot situation.
All the PG Denver had with Melo did very well Andre Miller, Iverson, and Billups.
It's Melo's poor *ss defense that dont let the Denver Nuggets win a playoff series.
Regular season games Melo is an All-Star scorer.
Post season games Melo is the weak-link on a team.
Deng and a future first round pick is more than Melo's worth.
Deng has a offense/defense performance to give PG-Billups/PG-Ty Lawson the edge to
make the Denver Nuggets a future 2nd round playoff team.
Melo being such a big All-Star fan-favorite in Denver makes all trades complicated for
the Denver organization.

Amare & Melo = where is the defense in the postseason? :crossfingers:
Lakers gave up Ariza for Artest, and Hornets gave up Collison for Ariza.
What did the two teams transactions do for their teams? improve the defensive tactics
on their team.
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Kiyaman

Legend
...Why are people harping all over Carmelo's scoring efficiency as if he's a god-awful player who only scores so many points because he takes too many shots?

Carmelo's career FG% is 45.9%...that's higher than Kobe's...keep in mind that Anthony has shot as high as 49.2% before (that was when Iverson was with the team and thus Carmelo didn't have to take nearly as many shots)...

If you complement Carmelo with quite possibly the most explosive and dominant big man in all of basketball, you really think he'll still only shoot in the 45% range?

I highly doubt it.

Carmelo can take over a game like no other. He's the best scorer in the NBA. He's not much of a facilitator, I'll give you that, but he's an excellent player off the ball which makes up for the fact that he doesn't really have any PG skills.

And for all that you say about Carmelo taking too many shot attempts and how that hurts the team in the long run...would you rather put the ball in the hands of Kenyon Martin?

Hell no. Melo is far and away the best scorer on that team. There's absolutely no question about that. That's why he took the most shots.

We give Melo a lightning quick PG like Raymond Felton, a dominant big man in Amar'e Stoudemire, and a sharpshooter in Danilo Gallinari, and I shudder to think how good he's going to be. Add on the athleticism and length of Anthony Randolph, and, well...that's a team right there.

Funny how PG-Jason Kidd found a million ways to get the ball down-low
to Kenyon Martin on a mediocre team to go to the Finals two years in a row,
and three trips to the ECF.
On the real, u made a very good point.
Kidd & K-Mart vs Nash & Amare
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Toons

is the Bo$$
If Melo came here here he would be the guy. I do not believe he would compliment Amare well due to him needing to have the ball in his hands. His skill set doesn't fit well w an offense predicated on team concept, i.e. sharing the basketball and working it to the open man, like we have here w the SSOL.

You make a fair point about him never having someone to compliment his game. I just question his ability to compliment the abilities of another star, aswell as other teammates.

Rono, i must disagree, and remind you of the redeem team where melo took a secondary role, and ended up being the MVP. AAddition by subtration. He was taking fewer shots and passing more because he didnt have to depend on birdman to hit an open jumper, or jr smith to hit the midrange etc. When melo has good teammates, he elevates his game. So i have to TOTALLY disagree with ya on that point. Who the hell were the denver nuggets before melo??