Venue
TV
TIME
Kia Center, Orlando, FL
MSG
7:00 PM EST

Kiyaman

Legend
The final 5 minutes showed me, the Orlando 6.10 twin towers Banchero's (29-10) and Wagner's (32-9) performance dominated the frontcourt in scoring & rebounds ..
Randle & Wagner trading points down the stretch, Brunson & Quickley chipping the Magics 11 point lead down to 5 points having less than 3 minutes in the game. Our time-out offensive plays were Randle & Brunson slashing to the basket for 2 points or a foul was going well, but our defensive stops wasn't there going down the 2 minute stretch of the game.
We shot 6-30 from the 3-ball line (20% as a team!) ???

mafra

Legend
They should give Evan F some burn. Why not at this point?

ORL wins old school. Not a good shooting 3 team, but big and physical.

Still, Knicks are 10th in NBA FROM downtown… had a bad shooting night tonight…. Magic also called for 20 fewer fouls despite being the bigger and more physical club.

Thibs was furious after the game. He’s gonna get fined…

Thibs on Jalen Brunson: "What this guy's going through's ridiculous. Ridiculous. He's getting hammered time after time, and I'm just getting sick & tired of it. I watch it, I send it in…They're fouls. Plain & simple. They're fouls…Sick & tired of it…"

He went on to say that nobody drives into paint more than JB, and when they swipe at ball and sway down on him… rake the face, hit the arms, hit the body… those are fouls… must be called fouls.

He has a point.

Whistle didn’t go their way and shots weren’t falling. Randle was terrific.

After road game in Indy to end 2023, then 4/7 to start Jan on road… Knicks will have played 24 of their first 39 games on the road. Schedule did them no favors.

Kiyaman

Legend
The ORL Magic is a team I could see throwing $30m per at Quickley (Their missing rotation player?) ..
Tonight game showed another well rounded young star team .. the ORL Magics and the OKC Thunders are turning out to be the sleeper teams in the East & West.

mafra

Legend
IQ would be ideal piece for MAGIC

“I am so, like, what this guy is going through is ridiculous. Ridiculous,” Thibodeau said after the Knicks dropped their second straight game to fall to 17-14. “You’re getting hammered time after time, I’m just getting sick and tired of it.

“Like, I watch . I send it in. I see it all. And it’s, they’re fouls. It’s plain and simple, they’re fouls and there’s no other way to say it, except they’re fouls. They’re fouls. No one drives the ball more to the rim than this guy does. And if you rake across his arm, you rake across his arm. And if you hit him in the head, you hit him in the head. Those are fouls. Those are fouls. [I’m] sick and tired of it. Sick and tired of it.”

“That’s all I can say, man, it’s just not. It’s not consistent,” Randle said. “A couple of plays before, when they called me for grabbing a guy’s arm, he pushed me in the back.

“We talked about [arm] extension last game [in Oklahoma City]. I mean, if you look at the replay, I still didn’t extend my arm. There’s going to be contact. It’s in the paint, it’s a box-out, there’s going to be contact. He sold the call. It’s just the consistency. I know they have a tough job.

“So I’m not going to sit here and kill them about what they’re doing, whatever they’re doing. Just a little bit more consistency would be appreciated.”

mafra

Legend
5-Man Lineup of Brunson, DiVincenzo, Barrett, Randle and Hartenstein:
-17 in 102 minutes this season

5-Man Lineup of Brunson, Quickley, Hart, Randle and Hartenstein:
+59 in 96 minutes this season

mafra

Legend
In a win over the Spurs one year ago yesterday (December 29th, 2022),
Quentin Grimes logged 37 minutes and was 6-of-6 from the free-throw line.

This season,
Grimes has logged a total of 594 minutes and is 2-of-6 from the free-throw line.

mafra

Legend
Remarkably, Julius Randle has scored 20+ points and shot 45% or better from the floor in each of the Knicks' past 16 games.

Per @bball_ref, that's tied for the longest such streak in franchise history - joining Patrick Ewing, who accomplished the feat in Jan.-Feb. of 1994.

defensive rating = number of points a team allows per 100 possessions.

Before benching Quentin Grimes
12-8
Defensive Rating, 108

After benching Quentin Grimes
5-6
Defensive Rating, 123

Top defensive rating is 108 (TWolves)
Bottom defensive rating is 122 (Hornets)

Yikes