Get this dude off my team or refund my $ for my season tix.

p0nder

Starter
Gallo himself said he feels like he can get to Dirk's level. That's why we are comparing him here and it's reasonable given they had a lot of the same skill sets and similar size entering the NBA.

nyk_nyk

All Star
WOW

You know I knew Gallo never had the mindset to be a star because he is a choke artist and headcase but I thought atleast in his delusional mind that he acutally thought he could be something special. And since a guy like Dirk is a superstar, I don't know how he couldn't see himself as a young Dirk.

But this disgust me, Gallinari has the talent, but doesn't know how to use it. He is so lost that he doesn't even see his own abilities which is why he never charges the hoop to draw fouls which he can be great at, and he never posts up even though he is 6'10.

If an NBA player doesn't think he can be the best, then he never will be. And Gallo just proved to me that he doesn't have confidence in himself.

On the flip side of this, Dantoni isn't even giving him the tools to be on the path of a superstar. So in reality even if he wanted to he would have to be coached by someone who develops talent first. Dantoni seems to be keeping him in a box with the 3.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I think the blame should be put more on Mike than on Gallo.

I understand Gallo has confidence issues, but this has to go away. He has talent, he was drafted 6th for a reason and projected to go top-10.

Now you can truly compare him to AJ Burnett- the problem isn't his talent, because he has the stuff- it's his head that's the issue.

Coach needs to set up plays for Gallo early in the game which will lead to Gallo getting easy buckets. Starting off like that is a lot better than chucking 3s. If he starts off driving and getting easy baskets it would lead to him getting fouled and taking free throws. Gallo is a great FT shooter and as his inside shot gets hotter so will his outside shot. He needs to be in rhythm and be constantly moving with or without the ball. He can't just stand there and wait for shots like Q-Rich or Jason Kapono or guys like that.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Gallo has good psychology

What do you want him to say? You want him to say he can be a superstar and put even more pressure on himself. He's already feeling it. He's over-thinking now. No need for him to add anything to what he's already got to do - which includes fitting in w new players, figuring out how to be a consistent scorer in the league and compliment to Amare. He's got a lot on his plate as it is.

I think he did the prudent thing by playing the star talk down. What he predicts he can be fits nicely w what I see him as--a 18 -20 ppg, 5-6 rpg in the league. To me that's a level below Dirk. If he could end up scoring and rebounding like Dirk then I'd be completely stoked!

Gallo played it right. He didn't fall prey to talking himself up and putting unnecessary pressure on his shoulders. And, by comparing himself to Dirk, he didn't sell himself short. No need for alarm emo types. Calm down..

elcol

Rotation player
his answer he probably thought was the best media choice, don't you think you would seem cocky and arrogant if you said, hey, im going to be a superstar because im really ****ing good. bad idea because stuff like that can come to bite you in the ass. he made the best choice possible for his situation.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I'll take arrogance over sheepishly searching for the safest comparison which still doesn't make any sense. Don't say you can't be a superstar and then say you can get your game close to a superstar who plays in the paint and creates contact to get to the line.

Ask anyone else taken 6th overall if they think they can be a star in this league and you'll probably get a short and sweet "yes."

At the very ****ing least when they're asked, and I quote:

Gallinari was reminded that some smart basketball people believe he has the talent to be a star, maybe a superstar.

They won't reply:

"I don't know," he said. "I don't think I have those abilities."

Spin it any way you want to but that was a straight forward question without any comparisons and the dude says he doesn't know if he can be a star with some "smart play"....well if you play smart and your ceiling is solid starter or role player then we wasted the #6 overall pick.

Facts are facts regardless of how you feel about the guy. It starts in his head and in his heart. If he's telling himself that even if he plays smart he won't be at the very least a star....well it won't happen. I mean.....even Danny Granger is a star....there's no excuse for this. Confidence in one's self is confidence in one's self.

At the very least, we need this dude to be confident in himself so he can gain some sort of consistency. A good game every 4 or 5 games won't cut it.

between things like this and his recent play on the court, i feel like this is gallo hurting his own trade stock on purpose. can you blame him? i wouldnt wanna leave NY for Denver either.

Paul1355

All Star
stop comparing Dirk because of the European ties, Walsh said Gallinari had the likes of Larry Bird in him.

PLEASE!

Walsh said Gallo is Larry Bird...and Mike D said he has the best shot he has ever seen!

We have to stop over rating these young inconsistent projects