Mozgov starting vs Boston

Paul1355

All Star
post-icon_unknown.png

Moz Will Start Wednesday?But Will it be Permanent?

By Tommy Dee on Oct 11, 2010, 4:16 pm
Via Daily News
"Timofey Mozgov is expected to start Wednesday against the Boston Celtics at MSG, a move that could be permanent depending on how the rookie center performs for the remainder of the preseason.
Hopefully, Doc Rivers will start Shaquille O?Neal that night because it will give everyone ? Mozgov, Mike D?Antoni, Knick fans ? a chance to see Mozgov compete against a solid, albeit aging, NBA center.

I am surprised it?s happened this quickly, despite being impressed by what Mozgov has been able to bring to the table thus far. He fits a tremendous need and has to stay on the floor. Can he manage 25-30 minutes? Only time will tell?"

Not sure whether this a good move or not. My personal opinion is to let Mozgov get his feet wet as a role player and maybe become a starter if Turiaf continues to get out rebounded and proves he can't last 30 min a night.
This is very early to start Mozgov, but we are paying him 3 million dollars this year so I guess we want to know right now if he was worth the contract. The Pick and Roll of Mozgov-Amare should give Felton 8+ assists per game.

tiger0330

Legend
Great move, the games don't count give him all the minutes he can handle. We know what Turiaf can give us and giving him extra minutes in the pre-season isn't going to help him.

Our defense wasn't the main problem against the TWolves, it was the second chance points off of poor rebounding and not blocking out. Mozgov's size and athleticism will help in those areas.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
There's no better time to start him. If he's been well prepared, his advantages athletically VS The Big Fruit will add a vital option offensively in transition.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Top european free agent and he is starting, sounds about right to me. It is a valid argument to get his feet wet, but maybe he is just ready, seems like the coaching staff has a lot of praise and confidence in him. I don't think hes gonna be great but i got a good feeling hes gonna be a solid contributor and make really good plays that can win us games EVENTUALLY.

Kiyaman

Legend
Poor Poor decision making

All those who think this is a bright move raise your hands ..... to be arrested
for making bets on how many seconds it takes for Mozgov to committ his
first 2 fouls.
Big-Baby performance improve at going to the foul line 4 to 6 times a game.

Mozgov could not stay out of foul trouble in the Fiba tournament.
Minny's Darko & Love put Mozgov in foul trouble as soon as he enter the game.
The Boston Celtics probably have the best bigmen in the NBA with the
most years of experience at putting bigmen into early foul trouble.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
first 2 fouls.

So then does it really matter who we trot out there at the 5 if the Celtics bigs are good at getting other bigs in foul trouble? If our bigs are going to be in foul trouble anyway (according to you) then why not see what the young kid can do in a game that's essentially a meaningless scrimmage against another NBA team?

You try so hard to play devil's advocate that sometimes you just make no sense whatsoever. If this isn't the game where you start Mosgov to challenge him and to see what he can do against experienced bigs...then when do you do it?

Kiyaman

Legend
Do u watch NBA b.ball?

So then does it really matter who we trot out there at the 5 if the Celtics bigs are good at getting other bigs in foul trouble? If our bigs are going to be in foul trouble anyway (according to you) then why not see what the young kid can do in a game that's essentially a meaningless scrimmage against another NBA team?

You try so hard to play devil's advocate that sometimes you just make no sense whatsoever. If this isn't the game where you start Mosgov to challenge him and to see what he can do against experienced bigs...then when do you do it?

Mr. Smartguy we want Mozgov to receive 21+ minutes of playingtime in
preseason to gain some NBA experience, not to be exploited by NBA All-
Star oponents (HackShaq, J'Oneal, KG) who will quickly demand the ball being
they have years of experience at being the first option on offense vs Mozgov.
Shaq & KG may only get 12 minutes of playingtime in this preseason game,
within those 12 mpg they will give Mozgov 5 to 6 fouls. Or did u forget
Darko/Love/Beasely/Ridnour fouled Mozgov out in just 15 minutes (6 quick fouls).
Think "team-scout" reports on rookie vs NBA all-star players :smokin::smokin::smokin:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

The guy wont be happy until the Knicks sign Earl Barron to the max and require him to play in a g-string. :cool:

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
this has always made sense to me... let moz pair up is stat and randolph with turiaf... moz is going to have a huge problem with fouls... he has to learn to use his feet on defense like he does on offense. like lots of big men he reaches and hooks too much instead of getting to the spot with is feet... go knickssssssss

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
This is not surprising at all. I was saying they should give him a look as a starter a week ago..

Since we're on this topic of centers other than Turiaf as a possibility to start. I honestly feel like we could get away w starting Moz at center as long as you have the stability of Gallo and STAT at the 3 and 4 to go along w him.

Having STAT and the attention he draws would take pressure off of Moz. Gallo will definitely spread the floor as his man will not leave him. Moz would see many one on one opportunities and there would be alot of times he'd find himself open. It would be up to STAT and Gallo to find him. I think both of them could do this reliably.

Moz looks like he has a good feel for the game. He's definitely big and athletic enough that he wouldn't really be over-matched physically by anybody at his position in the league.

In my mind Moz at center is the more interesting experiment that should be explored in preseason ball and seriously considered for the long haul. :thumbsup:

Now it's happening-- not a major shock. They would be stupid not to see what he can do in against real NBA quality front-line players. I think, they think, they have a guy who can easily get 10 boards and a couple of blocks for the Knicks this year. I'm inclined to agree. :peace: Whatever he can get us points wise is icing on the cake. We need somebody who can rebound competently next to STAT.

Those on the board who question this move don't know what the F their talkin bout', plain and simple.

Paul1355

All Star
first 2 fouls.

good point Kiya, John Hollinger on EPSN reported that Mozgov averaged 9 fouls per 40 min when he played for Khimki Russia team....that is ridiculous.
Mozgov HAS to focus on not fouling out of games or he will never play and just hurt us.

If he can get out of foul trouble and if Turiaf can deal with the embarissment of losing his starting gig to a rookie, then we should be fine. Against big centers like Shaq you have to play Mozgov more, Turiaf won't stop Shaq and Turiaf is better as a role player but not sure if we should do this SO SOON.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
It might be to early to start Mozgov, but its only a preseason game. I think it is a good move because it shows the coaching staff is doing their jobs experimenting with the team.

Not to sure if Mozgov will be a starter when the season begins but to show that he is getting attention is great for the team. The Knicks is in much need for rebounding, size, and intimidation. Mozgov is smart and a fast learner maybe he will be ready a lot faster than we think.

mafra

Legend
Start him to win the opening tap. He'll get into foul trouble. Sit down until late 2nd quarter. Lol. Anyway, why not? Nobody else is stepping up. Kid has game and a bright future. Let him learn on the job.

Toons

is the Bo$$
good point Kiya, John Hollinger on EPSN reported that Mozgov averaged 9 fouls per 40 min when he played for Khimki Russia team....that is ridiculous.
Mozgov HAS to focus on not fouling out of games or he will never play and just hurt us.

If he can get out of foul trouble and if Turiaf can deal with the embarissment of losing his starting gig to a rookie, then we should be fine. Against big centers like Shaq you have to play Mozgov more, Turiaf won't stop Shaq and Turiaf is better as a role player but not sure if we should do this SO SOON.

If he averaged 9 fouls per 40 mins then we win. Moz is only going to play 20-25 mins....half of 9 is still less than the 5 fouls allowed before he is fouled out. I would rathe ruse up those fouls and make cats earn it at the line, than give open lay ups a-la-avi lee. Pgs will think twice about drivin to the rack on the knicks with stat, randolph, turiaf and the gov whereas every rookie guard would try to get his 5 mins of fame driving on avi lee and al harrington.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It appears Knicks Russian rookie center Timofey Mozgov will escape facing Shaquille O'Neal tonight in the team's preseason home opener.

Boston coach Doc Rivers said after last night's Celtic game in Philly that he was leaning toward not playing him. Shaq sat out last night with a bad hip.

"I'm just taking a break,'' Shaq said in the Boston Herald. "I''ve just got a couple of knicks and knacks. The real deal is about to start, so it's all about that. I want to make sure that starts perfectly for the team.''

Mike D'Antoni is giving Mozgov his first start and joked he was afraid he'd "go back to Russia'' if he got "clobbered'' by O'Neal. Mozgov instead could face the other O'Neal, Jermaine, who is back from a hamstring injury.

Mozgov, who speaks little English, said he wouldn't mind if the Garden PA played Russian music after he scored. Mozgov has been the brightest light of Knicks training camp, but he too said he may prefer playing with the second unit and learning from Amar'e Stoudemire. .

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/mozgov_gets_break_as_celtics_may_OrbldeU4qlGSn1f9J5gNrN

Red

TYPE-A
Wow...

How many bigs (or rookies) come into the league and are foul prone... MANY!

In fact, I would argue that, that's why D. Lee was a sign post for most of his Knick career.. that and he wasn't athletic. But let's really look into what's going on...

The Gov needs to understand one major thing...

and that's "HIS" role. It's not savior, not primary scorer, not even the 1st low post option, it's...

Rebounder! That's it. Compliment Amare in the post and grab rebounds. He doesn't have to be a defensive menace (although that would be nice). He just needs to learn to provide help defense, be a presence in the middle, box out & rebound. That's it.

What I see as a potential issue is this...

I see Coach trying different alignments / experimenting. What I don't see (and better by the beg.) is "DEFINED PLAYER ROLES, POSITIONS, and ROTATIONS". This is what the pre-season is for but...

it's a bit alarming that we keep getting players ever since coach was here but no one knows what their primary position is, nobody knows their expected mins. etc... that's what we should be worried about.

It indicates another reason for coach to say he still doesn't have his pieces. Everyone knows the Gov was needed.

No one knows how Coach will utilize him Time is wastn!

Red

TYPE-A
To Clarify....

Having the Gov is better than we had last year when we were effectively trotting out 4 vs 5. He should be able to provide a presence that we lacked at the least.

But IF he isn't....

then that would mean it's up to Coach to coach him up! Do we think the Gov is going to magically get better on his own? No.

And obviously Walsh & Coach thought he had potential which is why he's signed for 3 yrs 9mil.

So, if he doesn't pan out, to me it will be Coach's fault. If the Gov isn't "good enough" then why sign him knowing other options were out there?

There is no more room for excuses for coach. What I would actually like is...

for once we get a player, knowing what he brings, knowing what to expect, w a competitive contract. A surprise, a diamond in the rough. We NEED that and he is as good a candidate as there is. It's not up to him to flourish...

after scouting & signing him... it's up to Coach to do what good coaches do.

Accentuate the strengths, minimize the weaknesses, and make players better. Not come up with excuses about why a scouted, drafted, signed player doesn't fit & isn't good enough.

Fingers crossed... we need the Gov to make an impact... coach needs him even more.