home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Indiana PacersNew York Knicks
Tyrese Haliburton - Back spasms (QUEST)Bojan Bogdanovic - Foot (OUT)
Bennedict Mathurin - Right shoulder surgery (OUT)Julius Randle - Right shoulder surgery (OUT)
-Duane Washington Jr. - Knee (OUT)
-Charlie Brown - Concussion (OUT)

Game Preview

Jalen Brunson leads all the NBA players in scoring during the postseason, and he may still harbor a grudge against Indiana coach Rick Carlisle, stemming from their time together with the Dallas Mavericks.

Hard to imagine Brunson needs any extra motivation as he leads the New York Knicks into the opening game of the Eastern Conference second-round series against the visiting Pacers on Monday night.

Sixth-seeded Indiana eliminated the third-seeded Milwaukee Bucks in the first round, while the second-seeded Knicks ousted the seventh-seeded Philadelphia 76ers in their opening series. Both series ended in six games.

Brunson led the way for the Knicks with a 35.5 ppg scoring average and scored 39, 47, 40 and 41 over the final four games of the series.

Brunson is a bona fide star in his second season in New York but that wasn't the case when he was a member of the Mavericks, who faced the Los Angeles Clippers during the first round of the 2021 playoffs.

Dallas let a 3-2 series lead get away and as things disintegrated in Game 7, Brunson watched from the bench. The highly competitive guard played just 10 minutes, scoring two points in a 126-111 defeat.

"In all honesty, I said this last time, you're in the playoffs now, there is no extra motivation," Brunson told reporters when asked about his unhappiness at the time. "It is what it is. The past is the past. Rick welcomed me into the league and helped me become the player (I am today) and helped me grow from Day 1."

That Game 7 loss was Carlisle's final game in Dallas. Now in his third season with the Pacers, he fears Brunson but doesn't think a coaching decision made three seasons ago has any bearing on the current series.

"Jalen Brunson is a guy you would never bet against," Carlisle told reporters. "You just don't bet against that guy. I don't know if anybody saw this coming, what he's achieved for two years now, but if you know him and you know his character, you're not surprised. You're not shocked."

The Pacers went 2-1 against New York in the regular season but Brunson made an impact by averaging 35.7 points.

"The last two times we played him he had 40 in one game and 39 in the other," Carlisle said. "He's leading the playoffs in scoring average. It's pretty obvious that he established a very high level during the season, and he's maintained and/or exceeded it in the postseason, and that's hard to do."

Brunson departed Dallas after the following season as a free agent en route to becoming a star with the Knicks.

"Coaches got to make decisions that better suit their teams," Brunson said of Carlisle. "Whatever happened, happened, and we're moving forward from there."

This will be the eighth time the Pacers and Knicks have met in the postseason with Indiana holding a 4-3 lead.

Six of the meetings came in an eight-season span (1993-2000) when Reggie Miller was the star of the Pacers. Those series were filled with drama and memorable moments.

Indiana will rely on its top-rated offense (123.3 ppg in the regular season) in this series, while the Knicks are stingy, ranking second in scoring defense at 108.2.

Tyrese Haliburton makes the Pacers go with help from big men Pascal Siakam and Myles Turner.

But in the clinching win over Milwaukee on Thursday, it was a pair of reserves, former Knick Obi Toppin (21 points) and T.J. McConnell (20), leading the way in the 120-98 victory.

"It means a lot," McConnell said. "Not getting into the playoffs since the bubble, not being able to advance since 2014, we take great pride in being able to advance and extend our season."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Rady .. Big Thanks for Game 1 Thread ....
Knicks vs HC Rick Carlisle Pacers (another strategic Spoe in the 2nd round).
Plus Brunson's 3 season NBA teacher.
Throughout the first round the Bucks fans was posting the Indiana Pacers defense is not enough to stop Dame.
They stop saying that after Game 4 when Pacers lead the series 3-1

Pacers say their young star PG Haliburton is day to day for Game 1.
Bogs is out now too, after having two winning performance in the first round over the 76ers.
Waiting to here TNT Ernie/Kenny/Barkley/Shaq say bout our series with Pacers

Kiyaman

Legend
Will the crowd in MSG have to yell for Precious Achuwa to get playing time ???
The first 5 minutes got all the Knicks sweating from Pacers running transition
12-8 Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
End of First Quarter .. Knicks 27 - Pacers 24
Did Brunson put himself in the game in the final sec of game?
Hart have to let McBride run the point, when Brunson's on the bench

Hart played all 12 minutes of First quarter

mafra

Legend
Already 19-1 advantage for Indy bench over Knicks reserves. This is a problem. Tim McConnell killing NY isn’t surprising. But this just means starters gonna have to play 45 minutes.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Hartenstein beats the buzzer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimkcchief88

All Star
Needed that lucky late three lucky to only be down 4 bench getting killed need a third scorer cmon Dante and OG you are getting killed McBride to Pacers backcourt in foul trouble JB gonna take it to them in the 4th we are ok just gotta settle and get some boards stop missing bunnies at the rack dunk it Dante damn it’s the playoffs!

mafra

Legend
Indy won the offensive rebound edge 5-2 in the first half. Pacers 7-16 from downtown (Knicks 4-12). Indy bench destroys NY reserves 27-1. DDV has 4 points.

It took a 50-foot prayer from behind half court from IH…. But being down 6 at the half (55-49) is a minor miracle. Pacers are quicker, deeper, but also playing quality halfcourt defense and owning the glass. If Knicks don’t get more from MRob and DDV and Achiwa and McBride… this series won’t last long.

Kiyaman

Legend
We sure needed Hartenstein half court shot at the Buzzer ....
Half Time .. Knicks 49 - Pacers 55

Hart played all 24 minutes to halftime.
OG 22 minutes.
Brunson 21 minutes
Hartenstein 20 minutes
Donte 20 minutes.
13 minutes for the bench to share

Pacers played a 9 player rotation throughout the first half of the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks TIE score at 62 .... 4 min into quarter.
We will soon be playing/performing on how much STAMINAR our starters have in the 4th quarter.
The Pacers making us run for most of our points.

Kiyaman

Legend
Indy won the offensive rebound edge 5-2 in the first half. Pacers 7-16 from downtown (Knicks 4-12). Indy bench destroys NY reserves 27-1. DDV has 4 points.

It took a 50-foot prayer from behind half court from IH…. But being down 6 at the half (55-49) is a minor miracle. Pacers are quicker, deeper, but also playing quality halfcourt defense and owning the glass. If Knicks don’t get more from MRob and DDV and Achiwa and McBride… this series won’t last long.

Our HC are letting our starter players do the substitution, wsup wid dat ???

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Topping putting up a show at MSG, Turner nails the buzzer beater and the Pacers lead 87-82 at the end of third

Kiyaman

Legend
End of 3rd Quarter .. Knicks 82 - Pacers 87
Obi Toppin want us to remember him .... the quick under the leg Dunk
Somebody desperate .. my second time this season seeing Brunson throw Mitch a Alley-oop pass ........

mafra

Legend
44-3 Indy reserves vs NY. Indy starters not doing much… TH with only 6 points. Be a tough way to lose a game like this, at home, when Siakum, TH and Naismith combine for 23 points.

But Knicks look tired. Only gave 5 off rebounds.

11-3 turnover edge favors Indy.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
It’s going to be pretty much incredible if we win this one. Lead is not big but it feels like the Pacers are the ones controlling the game

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Big play with Robinson securing the offensive rebound and dishing it out to Hart for the power jam. 94-90 Pacers
Lead was 9 moments ago

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks take a 4 point lead after two big steals by Anunoby!