Trade Billups for the #2 pick

nixon7

Benchwarmer
My post about Billups seemed to get completely lost in the Minnesota thread, among absurd debate over whether you can get a deal done with Fields and/or Douglas, as well as equally off-topic out-of-left-field suggestions about Cleveland. So I will try my own thread instead.

Billups actually fits Minnesota's need for veteran leadership at the PG. So they might actually consider the deal (at least it is not an outlandish prayer).

In return we could lock up Enes Kanter (which we could not do at #4 even if we had something Cleveland would want, other than Stat or Melo).

The small chance that Cleveland takes Kanter at #1 would mean that we get Kyrie Irving as a consolation prize (something I could live with).

Maybe you don't like the deal, and prefer to get DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol. Fine, but then you can never get Chris Paul. Maybe you think that Dalembert is better. Maybe but for how long?

You might even be able to sign Dalembert to let Kanter develop and still have a shot at Chris Paul. You do have a problem this year at PG, so it would be best to retain the #17 pick as part of the deal, or somehow acquire an additional mid-first round pick, or get one of Minnesota's project young guards as part of the deal.

Comments?

dave2138

Rotation player
Minnesota has 3 PG right now (Rubio, Flynn, Ridnaur) so I don't think they would be interested in a PG.

Billups has no trade value anyway to a team not looking to compete this season.

People need to stop thinking Minnesota will trade that pick. I think the only way they make a trade involving the #2 pick is if they can package up a few players and get someone like Ellis or Granger. If not then they probably pick Kanter or Valenciunas

moneyg

Starter
My post about Billups seemed to get completely lost in the Minnesota thread, among absurd debate over whether you can get a deal done with Fields and/or Douglas, as well as equally off-topic out-of-left-field suggestions about Cleveland. So I will try my own thread instead.

Billups actually fits Minnesota's need for veteran leadership at the PG. So they might actually consider the deal (at least it is not an outlandish prayer).

In return we could lock up Enes Kanter (which we could not do at #4 even if we had something Cleveland would want, other than Stat or Melo).

The small chance that Cleveland takes Kanter at #1 would mean that we get Kyrie Irving as a consolation prize (something I could live with).

Maybe you don't like the deal, and prefer to get DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol. Fine, but then you can never get Chris Paul. Maybe you think that Dalembert is better. Maybe but for how long?

You might even be able to sign Dalembert to let Kanter develop and still have a shot at Chris Paul. You do have a problem this year at PG, so it would be best to retain the #17 pick as part of the deal, or somehow acquire an additional mid-first round pick, or get one of Minnesota's project young guards as part of the deal.

Comments?

i wish..u wish.. we wish.. but will never happen...billups is old ...minny would want vetern help like late 20's in age..not a 35 years old...

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Minnesota has three PGs but no veteran leadership

Minnesota has lots of young talent. That is why they are considering trading the #2 pick: because they do not think another young stud adds what they need to complement Love and Beasley. What they covet is veteran leadership, and veteran leadership is most important in your play-maker.

With the addition of Billups they might actually compete for a playoff spot.

Billups would be a good influence (player/coach) on the two young guards that they keep, none of whom they are that in love with.

He would also have value as an expiring contract at the trade deadline (as you say, for a team looking to contend), so he would have that value for Minnesota as well, as a chip to send to a contender to get back someone they really like.

dave2138

Rotation player
An expiring contract is worthless to them since they are already under the cap. They could trade for Granger/Ellis or any big contract without having to match salaries because by making the trade they wouldn't go over the cap. The other team would just get a trade exception.

If you really think Billups has value then why not propose Billups for Ridnaur. I think that makes more sense for both teams.

moneyg

Starter
Minnesota has lots of young talent. That is why they are considering trading the #2 pick: because they do not think another young stud adds what they need to complement Love and Beasley. What they covet is veteran leadership, and veteran leadership is most important in your play-maker.

With the addition of Billups they might actually compete for a playoff spot.

Billups would be a good influence (player/coach) on the two young guards that they keep, none of whom they are that in love with.

He would also have value as an expiring contract at the trade deadline (as you say, for a team looking to contend), so he would have that value for Minnesota as well, as a chip to send to a contender to get back someone they really like.

if they get billups for a playoff spot.. why would they trade him at the deadline...

beasley is expting.. and flynn has a team option ans well as martel webster and wesley johnson.. they would all have more value than billups with the combination of their salaries

futhermore... why would anybody believe anythiny kahn says

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Rumors are floating around that Minny may trade the #2 pick + Beasley + rights to Rubio to Indiana for Danny Granger + fillers.

Why would Minny take Billups for the #2 pick? That is just as outlandish as the Fields + Douglas + 17th. Maybe even more. Billups is an expiring deal. This may be his last year in the NBA. Why trade the #2 pick for a veteran on his last year? Not to mention Billups would probably demand a buyout if he were traded to the T-Wolves, the team with the worst record in the NBA.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Rumors are floating around that Minny may trade the #2 pick + Beasley + rights to Rubio to Indiana for Danny Granger + fillers.

Why would Minny take Billups for the #2 pick? That is just as outlandish as the Fields + Douglas + 17th. Maybe even more. Billups is an expiring deal. This may be his last year in the NBA. Why trade the #2 pick for a veteran on his last year? Not to mention Billups would probably demand a buyout if he were traded to the T-Wolves, the team with the worst record in the NBA.

That seems like a strange deal for both teams. The Pacers have DC, so there's no real need for Rubio, and have the T'Wolves given up on their #4 pick from last year? Cause Wesley isn't a 2 or a 4 and neither is Granger...who's coming off the bench?

Where'd you here these rumors?

I agree with everything else tho, the #2 pick is out of our grasp. I still think there's an outside shot at 4, and 10-14 might be realistic, but we don't have what Minny wants, unfortunately.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
thatshoulddoit.gif

IRepNY

Rookie
Am I the only person, who thinks we should trade Billups for either 4 to 7 pick?
If eligible to get the 7th pick ( Kings ) and we could score Beno Udrih at the same time.
My opinion.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Even though Minny is looking for veteran leadership and doesnt need another SF in DWill I dont think this trade is for us. If anything Minny is prob looking to unload a PG.

I think the better trade to look into is that of Jennings (who should of been a knick anyway) is Milwaukee. They are seemingly trying to trade him and we could use him definitely.

Taking the contract of Corey Maggette (two years left perfect trade chip next season) + the player in Jennings and maybe there 1st (10th) rounder for Chauncey + say Fields, Walker and our first round pick (17th) might work. worth a try.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Am I the only person, who thinks we should trade Billups for either 4 to 7 pick?
If eligible to get the 7th pick ( Kings ) and we could score Beno Udrih at the same time.
My opinion.
Would LOVE Beno Udrih on our team.

People are sleeping on him. He's very good.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
The understanding HAS to be that the Knicks feel as if they need a veteran point guard to not only run their offense, but control their two primary scorers.

In this, New York thinks Billups is GOLD. Don't think for a second that they will trade him just to bring in someone of lesser stature.

Why would you bring in Brandon Jennings, who has failed to show any type of consistency? Or a rookie point with no mentor? We have an NBA Finals MVP, and the Knicks are not giving that up unless they get someone in return who can handle those reins.

We will not trade Billups for the number 2, I just don't see it happening. He is a huge piece to our future, either as a mentor to a young guard, or as a trade chip for a certain CP3 (who obviously needs no mentoring). His contract is very valuable, but the Knicks will get value in return in the form of a more-than-capable PG, not a streaky or unknown one.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Alright all speculation but b/c Knicks brass accepted team option on Billups, the $14.2 M could be leveraged in a deal to acquire CP3.

Paul is expected to make $16.65M next season with his player option that everyone is also expecting him not to accept.

Money wise it works out as an even trade. Except its no way fair at all. But if we can find a team like Indiana with cap room to absorb Okafor's contract, it might just be logical.

Paul1355

All Star

Comments?

Minnesota doesn't need another PG and Billups would hate being in Minnesota and would leave as sooon as his contract expires so they would be trading he #2 pick for nothing.....Minnesota really needs a guy like Enes Kanter but they won;t passs up Derrick Williams