Who do you want taking the final shot Billups Carmelo Or Amare???

WrongIslander

Rotation player
MDA already gave the perfect answer, any answer (like mine) will simply be a variation or explination on that theme.

You give the ball to your PG as you do with every other play and you let him do what he's paid to do, either knock down the shot if he's feeling it or find an open man (regardless of who it is) that he trusts to do the same.

The fact that we have THREE clutch players (Miami can't say the same) who all want the ball and can all end a game is a blessing, why not keep the sides guessing all the time? This is why although Walker didn't quite make the catch against MIA I loved the idea because teams will be thinking "well he's pretty damn unpredictable so just get as tight as you can to everyone but especially Melo".

The fact is, if we do what we're supposed to do and to the ability these players have, we've got the best personnel around to win a game with one shot, and MDA knows it.

STAT1

Starter
This is a very interesting question. I guess it would all depend on the situation. If we're in need of a 3 pointer there's no question I want Chauncey taking that shot out of anyone on this team. But if we're looking for a deuce then it's sorta hard to decide between Melo & STAT, both have been clutch players over their careers, particularly Melo, but when you see him commit offensive charging fouls on those drives in the lane in the closing seconds you almost wonder whether STAT might be the better option. Still, we've seen STAT get frustrated by double teams in the paint when he's tried to force up shots & not have much success too. What I would probably do is to let Chauncey dictate where the ball swings to, as a PG that's his job afterall.

If Melo could become more of a facilitator off the dribble drive then I would want the ball in his hands on an Iso situation & run him & STAT off the PnR, with Chauncey spotting up behind the 3 pt line for a possible kickout. That pretty much puts the opposition in a pick your poison type scenario. Melo's as good as anyone in the NBA at getting to the basket to get off his shots & teams will have to overplay him to block the path to the hole, which should leave STAT open if Melo can get him the ball. Melo's never really had to do that on the Nuggets cuz he's never played w/a player of STAT's level, but I think Melo's easily got the ability & offensive awareness to run the PnR effectively as a Point Forward if he ever set his mind to it.

Kiyaman

Legend
Who is the first option and final shot taker?
Its obvious the SG (shooting-guard)!
Its nice to have a "big & small" go to guy for scoring.

I wonder if Phil Jax or Pop would say its Fisher or Parker decision. LOL
How about Damnphony writing-up a design play using screens/pick for
a clear shot for Amare or Carmelo?
When Billups was in Detroit we knew Rip was the first option and Rasheed
the 2nd option. Detroit teammates would screen and pick Rip's defender so
he could get an open clear shot.

Kobe
D.Wade
Durant
Ray Allen
Ginobli
Roy
Joe Johnson
Ellis
J.Richardson
Keven Martin

Fields (SG) is no Big shot Billups, Amare (our leader) or Carmelo (the number 2 scorer in the league) behind only Kevin Durant. Fields is no where near being Rip Hamilton during his prime years, Ray Allen is one of the greatest 3 point shooters of all time, Roy has serious health problems & is no longer a starter, Durant is a SF... Not a "SG", Kobe is the greatest thing since MJ, Wade is a top 5 star... Fields is solid but he'll never be a top 25 star. The question was in regards to Billups, Melo or Amare... Not some SG that doesn't exist on the Knicks roster?

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Fields (SG) is no Big shot Billups, Amare (our leader) or Carmelo (the number 2 scorer in the league) behind only Kevin Durant. Fields is no where near being Rip Hamilton during his prime years, Ray Allen is one of the greatest 3 point shooters of all time, Roy has serious health problems & is no longer a starter, Durant is a SF... Not a "SG", Kobe is the greatest thing since MJ, Wade is a top 5 star... Fields is solid but he'll never be a top 25 star. The question was in regards to Billups, Melo or Amare... Not some SG that doesn't exist on the Knicks roster?

Kiya was on another planet w that post. Way to bring him back to earth..

Nah, I didn't bring him down to earth; just couldn't agree with his post. Not @ all. Looks like Melo didn't agree with his thoughts either ahaha you GOTTA love it!

It's not the ''position'' who you build your team around... It's the player. And Fields our 2G... Will never be Melo and thats coming from someone who really likes what Fields brings to the team.

Also... I know of just as many great PG+PF duo's as I do SG+C's... I'll start with Stockton to Malone but that doesn't mean I'd scream for Toney Douglas to take the last shot last night... Just because he's a PG?

Carmelo is actually one of the greatest closers of all-time. After last nights clutch shot, as well as the closing history that Carmelo has... It's not even close between Billups, Amare & Carmelo, but it's Carmelo in a split second. We have 3 closers, which is a great problem to have, but none are as clutch as Carmelo.

Since 1996, in situations where Melo's team is down by 2, down by 1, or tied with less than 24 seconds left; Carmelo leads all players with 21 game winners, buzzer beaters or shots to tie the game. His % in those situations also rank #1 dating back to 96 with a % of over 40%. Jordan was an amazing closer & MJ was only in the low 30's % wise. Melo's also done the same exact thing, in those types of situations 15 times but those 15 times were done with 10 seconds or left. Kobe Bryant is the only one who can match that with 15 himself.

The Knicks have more than 3 closers in Melo, Amare & Billups, we have a great one in Carmelo "clutch in crunch time" Anthony.

Red

TYPE-A
Carmelo is actually one of the greatest closers of all-time. After last nights clutch shot, as well as the closing history that Carmelo has... It's not even close between Billups, Amare & Carmelo, but it's Carmelo in a split second. We have 3 closers, which is a great problem to have, but none are as clutch as Carmelo.

Since 1996, in situations where Melo's team is down by 2, down by 1, or tied with less than 24 seconds left; Carmelo leads all players with 21 game winners, buzzer beaters or shots to tie the game. His % in those situations also rank #1 dating back to 96 with a % of over 40%. Jordan was an amazing closer & MJ was only in the low 30's % wise. Melo's also done the same exact thing, in those types of situations 15 times but those 15 times were done with 10 seconds or left. Kobe Bryant is the only one who can match that with 15 himself.

The Knicks have more than 3 closers in Melo, Amare & Billups, we have a great one in Carmelo "clutch in crunch time" Anthony.

"I do this" -Carmelo

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
f0sux.jpg