Why not Oakley as an assistant???

moneyg

Starter
HOOPSWORLD

<!-- END SECTION HEADER --><!-- WIDTH: 975 --><!-- END SECTION HEADER --><!-- MAIN CONTENT --><TABLE style="BACKGROUND: url(/images/body_bg.gif) repeat-x; BORDER-TOP: #4a0000 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><!-- LEFT RAIL --><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; BACKGROUND: url(/images/darkmiddle_bg.gif) no-repeat 100% 0%; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top width=662><!--#########################################################################E N D H E A D E R H E R E#########################################################################--><!--#########################################################################B E G I N F O O T E R H E R E#########################################################################--><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- Top -->

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18946

Since many of you are in luv with our coach...Walsh should make him hire a defensive assistant coach...like Charles Oakley...i'd settle for that as a victory

fire Herb and/or Dan D'antoni....

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Oakley Tough On Kwame, Cats
spacer.gif

By: Derek Page Last Updated: 3/2/11 9:11 AM ET | 650 times read <!-- | Comments ()-->

Adjust font size:

Charlotte Bobcats assistant coach Charles Oakley's toughness and attention to detail has rubbed off quickly on the team. The former enforcer/power forward isn't afraid to challenge his players or to sound off on others around the league -- including Sacramento Kings' rookie DeMarcus Cousins.

Over 18 seasons in the NBA Oakley battled and bruised opponents in the paint to the tune of nearly double-double career averages in points (9.7) and rebounds (9.5), including playoff averages of 10.8 points and 10 boards in 144 career playoff games with the Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks and Toronto Raptors. Toughness doesn't eludethe old school Oakley and it shows both in the way he coaches and in how he deals with Bobcats' players on a daily basis.

"[Oakley has] brought toughness and a professional attitude," said Bobcats' forward Stephen Jackson. "Guys used to come in and clown around a lot before practice and not take it serious. I think he's cut that out. He's brought a work attitude and a serious attitude and I think it's helping us approach games [better] because we're approaching them more serious and we're paying more attention to detail."

In one-on-one drills, both before games and during practice, Oakley displays the same fire and ferocity that made him so great as a player. in one such instance, Oak played post defense in a drill against former Bobcat Nazr Mohammed and the season-opening starter at center struggled mightily to get the ball in the basket against the 47-year-old coach..

"I pride myself on, no matter what I do, when I try to challenge someone I do my best," Oakley said. "I take it personal and that's just my demeanor. I just try to make sure I do the right thing"

Working with Kwame Brown, Oakley has helped the underachieving big man figure out what it takes to find a niche in this league. While he has helped overall team toughness, Oakley has been especially pivotal with the post players on Charlotte's roster.

"Especially the big men," said Charlotte head coach Paul Silas. "He works with them very diligently and I give him a lot of credit for Kwame and what those guys are doing... The toughness that he brought to this team is just phenomenal, I mean, he just don't stand for no nonsense. He talks to them during the game, what they should and should not be doing.

"[Oakley] is a very positive guy. He just wants to win and I'm really happy the we brought him in. He's had a positive effect on this team so far."

Brown has especially soaked up knowledge from Oakley since he arrived, culminating with the nine-year player taking over the starting center role after Mohammed went down with a bruised knee just before the New Year. The former number one overall pick in 2001 held the fort down even after Mohammed returned, logging more than 26 minutes per game while averaging 8.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game since the start of 2011. Brown told me he looks forward to working with Oakley more directly during the offseason.

"He just came in and helped me to keep the game simple: Being big in the paint, not trying to do things I can't do; just rebounding, playing defense and protecting the guards," Brown said. "He's definitely helping out, I need to work with him during the summer to get the full benefit."

While it endears him to most, Oakley's brash style and straight-forward attitude hasn't always been what Bobcats' players have necessarily wanted to hear. Earlier this season after a 101-92 loss to the Dallas Mavericks, Oakley and former Bobcat Gerald Wallace had to be separated after getting into a heated exchange.

Oakley isn't afraid to challenge his players; both on the court and off.

"Why should I be afraid? I mean, they're the student," Oakley said. "I'm supposed be the teacher, teaching them. It's not just getting in their face, just telling them what's right and hopefully they can catch on.

"That's what's wrong with this league. You need more guys to challenge guys. A lot of stuff's going on, the Sacramento Kings with [DeMarcus] Cousins, different teams with different guys that just won't listen. I don't understand, why you won't listen? You come out early, you don't know, you get the money; I mean you've gotta get some kind of feedback to be better in life."

In typical Oakley fashion, the former on-the-court bodyguard put the spotlight back on the other members of the coaching staff and preached this team is just trying to get better, one game at a time.

"We still working. The cake's still baking," Oakley said. "Paul is still just as tough as I was when he played and the other assistant coaches do a great job of trying to install stuff and make it easier for the guys.

"I appreciate the understanding that when I played was tough, and I bring a tough demeanor, but I think all the coaches bring a piece to this team."

The Bobcats still have a rough road ahead to try and make the playoffs this season, but Oakley's toughness and no-nonsense approach will serve this team well as they fight for a playoff birth.

TOUGHNESS

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Any Knicks fan would love have to have OAK on the coaching staff. What Oakley brought as a player is seriously lacking on this current Knicks team, but I dont see that changing with D'Antoni as the HC unfortunatley.

iJoe

Rotation player
Too bad half the stuff Oakley did would be called a flagrant in this era of softy ball.

I just wish we had more bigs that Oakley could toughen up.

I'd really love to have both Oakley & Ewing on the same bench as our coaches & players. It's made me sick over the years to see Ewing working with Yao of the Rockets & now Howard of the Magic. Ewing could help take Amare Stoudemire's games to another level which is a scary though.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
The MSG execs would lose their minds. They couldn't control him, nor do I think Oak thinks very highly of the Knicks organization right now.

petescud

Starter
Love to have both Oak and Ewing (dude looked bored to death yesterday on the bench) back with us in any form

Hasn't Oakley Publically spoken out over his disgust at the knicks over how he was treated in the Camby trade? and how he's treated at MSG still today???

In Saying that Oakley and Mason where the guys that got me to be an knick fan... well along with Starks, Ewing etc...

moneyg

Starter
I want Mark Jackson as the next Knicks Head Coach.......

i dont want mark jackson as a HD.. he has no experience.. maybe as an assistant...yeah..

if you read the article..it clearly states that oakley is an assistant with the bobcats... and how it has helped them... why didnt we make that move (Ewing too)... if not oakley...maybe jackson...