Why Dolan is such a damn idiot

iJoe

Rotation player
I think we made a very good tactical decision to force [the] Knicks to pay as much as they can,” Prokhorov said.

Dolan essentially just caved in because he got scared. Carmelo basically gave no inclination towards signing with the Nets at all. Prokhorov basically just met with Melo and smiled about how wonderful that meeting was to scare Dolan and guess what? It worked.

I'm NOT SAYING WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TRADED FOR MELO. Its just that we didn't need to give up that much for him, but thats what happens when the owner goes over the GM's head. Dolan essentially bid against himself and got out played by rookie Denver management. Way to go guy.

We have a shit for brains owner with Isiah on his shoulder. I guess I should be glad it wasn't worse than what it was.

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
I like melo, but I also liked marbury.
Bottom line is we gave up alot to get marbury, And it didn't work out.
So i am concerend we gave up alot for Anthony, not just in developing talent, like Gallo and mozgov. but in draft picks as well.
I think we decimated our team core, will struggle to find chemistry(as expected with any big trade), hope to find stride for playoffs and put up a good fight against the top teams, because I can't see us finishing as the 4th or 5th seed. staying at 6th, maybe dropping to 7th or 8th.
admittedly Billups is in my opinion an upgrade over felton.

clumsy

Rotation player
F dolan for not getting MSG in HD to verizon customers.

For that he can go jump off a building somewhere.

iSaYughh

Starter
This. :agreed:

It's really even worse in magnitude, considering future ramifications; and the deal That Could Have Been.

It disgusts me. Even though I've really wanted Melo here.

We had two things that had to go against us and our offer; and even then we had a bonus and a good backup plan were we to "fail".

DEN rejects Chandler/Walker/1st/Moz...Say they do, and they risk being the next Cleveland Cavaliers.

Well, now Melo has a tough, but extremely clear choice:

With 100M in the bank, limitless endorsements and future contract millions ensured, does he limp to New Jersey and play for a pitiful basement team to his dream city,

Or does he accept that he may not pad his bank account up front so heavily, be an instant living legend, and play for a surging championship contender in New York City, with STAT.

The likely answer to this situation is pretty obvious, at least to me. With DEN simply taking our offer at a last hour with Melo -- at least seeming -- to be resigning himself to waiting to come here as an FA.

All we did was simplify the risks and choices of every variable at the poker table...At our direct expense.

We took the easy route, and made the inferior play. Incidentally, the Dolan-Isiah route. Which bodes poorly bc we now need to bank on their increasing involvement to continue making moves to make us chip'worthy in talent.

As well, in a worst case, we'd just go through this next yr for CP3/Deron, but with extra assures (picks, our 1st pick this draft), and the aura of being a legit team with hard-nosed, no-bullshit, we not gunn a get raped Front Office.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
?I think we made a very good tactical decision to force [the] Knicks to pay as much as they can,? Prokhorov said.

Dolan essentially just caved in because he got scared. Carmelo basically gave no inclination towards signing with the Nets at all. Prokhorov basically just met with Melo and smiled about how wonder that meeting was to scare Dolan and guess what? It worked.

I'm NOT SAYING WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TRADED FOR MELO. Its just that we didn't need to give up that much for him, but thats what happens when the owner goes over the GM's head. Dolan essentially bid against himself and got out played by rookie Denver management. Way to go guy.

We have a shit for brains owner with Isiah on his shoulder. I guess I should be glad it wasn't worse than what it was.

Melo would have caved and signed with Nets if Knicks did not put a package together Dnver would have accepted. We had no choice considering Melo was unwilling to gamble with the CBA. Had this been a normal year like last year Melo would have happily waited for free agency. Bad timing cannot be blamed on Dolan. In the end he got us a second superstar a the cost of a bunch of role players.

iSaYughh

Starter
Melo would have caved and signed with Nets if Knicks did not put a package together Dnver would have accepted. We had no choice considering Melo was unwilling to gamble with the CBA. Had this been a normal year like last year Melo would have happily waited for free agency. Bad timing cannot be blamed on Dolan. In the end he got us a second superstar a the cost of a bunch of role players.

Why would Melo have caved tho? He showed total aversion to NJ from every vantage point.

I don't disagree that THIS was his ultimate wish. But him not getting it locked up, doesn't preclude him from not taking a tough...but still preferred route..of coming here.

This cba stuff and the 65m is more emotional...at least emotionally short sighted....than anything else. Sure, huge money, clearly want it locked up,

But it's also clear and a lock of what Melo would reap in off court $ being here with a ready-to-go contender,

Versus New Jersey...in a truly gutted basement team.

How do you know that Melo would have signed with the Nets?
Clueless!

You have no idea what he would have done.

The Knicks did not have to give up so much but instead Dolan and Isiah are running the asylum.

My guess is that Walsh gets kicked to the curb or he just leaves knowing that he is now only a pawn in the organization.

Stop Hating

Haven't we all learned our lessons already?

The waiting game IS NOT A SURE THING. We were all certain that LeBron would come here b/c it's NY and no one wants to play in NJ and we had cap room yada yada yada...

Now you wanted to take the SAME risk with Melo, only this time we replace cap room with Amare and- AND- on top of that we expect him to take a potentially massive pay cut over the offseason.

All this after two months of "he's definitely coming to NY," then us pretty much saying "hey Melo, we like you but not enough to give up one superstar (Danilo WILL be a superstar, IMO), two guys who NEVER crack the rotation, the Russian version of Kane (the wrestler) and Chandler. What does that say to him?

If we waited till the off-season to try and sign him and missed out, there would be riots on the radio and in the streets of Manhattan. You don't think Melo would have been SOMEWHAT insulted by the Knicks brass refusing to trade to get him after he basically told Denver to go **** themselves on national TV for 3 months?

We did what HAD to be done. We gave up a fan favorite and potential superstar (Danilo... damn every time I type his name I cry a little inside) and replaced him with one of the 10 biggest names in the NBA.

We made our King, Amare, infinitely happier.

And we now have BassMasters-esque bait to reel in the 3rd big fish either this summer or next.

And you wanted to risk ALLLLL this happening... over Timofey Mozgov? And a couple draft picks? Ask the Packers if they would take 2007 Randy Moss for a 3rd round draft pick again, since they said Hell-to-the-No on that. They WOULD.

If I was not clear enough... I'M GONNA MISS THE TITS OUT OF GALLINARI. But the Knicks now have star power, something you cannot always guarantee in Free Agency. And they have it two-fold.

And soon enough, the three MoHeatos will pail in comparison to the Knights of the Round Garden. (<----- I'm COPYRIGHTING THAT!)

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
How do you know that Melo would have signed with the Nets?
Clueless!

Simmer down my emotional child. It's common knowledge, read an article, watch a video or use your "brain" if yo dont want to take my word for it. The only reason NJ was in play to the very end was because Melo would have signed had the Knicks failed to get him. The CBA was too much for him to gamble on.

The Knicks did not have to give up so much but instead Dolan and Isiah are running the asylum.

Chandler gone this off season therefore a wash. Practically worthless to Denver unless they plan on giving him his desired 5 year 60 mil deal. I doubt it.

Felton was a short term solution hence the 3 year deal. The swap of Billiups is a wash short term and may actually be better considering his championship pedigree and experience.

Moz? Meh, def not worth blowing up the deal over.

AR....could not crack the rotation and a perennial underachiever.

Gallo, only player I am truly upset about giving up. That said, you do not get Melo for free so it was necessary. (Plus they play the same position)

My guess is that Walsh gets kicked to the curb or he just leaves knowing that he is now only a pawn in the organization

I agree, Walsh is probably gone and that sucks. I rather Melo then Walsh though. Thomas will never be our GM/Prez again so don't cry.

knicksin60

Starter
<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1">The Knicks were a couple of days away from receiving Carmelo Anthony for only Eddy Curry, but instead they let go of four championship pieces in Gallo, Chandler, Felton and Mosgov.From a Knick perspective, this is probably the worst trade since the Wilt Chamberlain for Archie Clark, Jerry Chambers and Darrall Imhoff trade.Not only will the Knicks be the laughing stock of the Eastern Conference once again, the Nuggets are now one of the most well balanced and complete teams in the NBA and are going to surpass the Mavericks and Lakers in the standings.This trade makes the Marbury one look like the Scottie Pippen for Olden Polynice trade.And James Dolan just proved why he easily makes Donald Sterling look like George Steinbrenner.

Last edited:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
The inclusion of Mozgov really did demonstrate Dolan's ineptitude. We will never know what would have happened if we waited til Summer. Perhaps we anger Melo so much that he doesn't come at all... knows.

Mozgov didn't need to happen, however, and we are now without a center in the line-up besides Ronny, who isn't a pure center.

Dolan should have left it up to Walsh. Walsh would have gotten it done.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Anthony had told Dolan he wanted that $65 million contract extension, and had no plans on waiting for free agency and the massive pay cut the new collective bargaining agreement would bring. That's why Denver kept pushing for more and more in this deal, and why the Knicks had to keep giving more and more.

As much as the Brooklyn-born forward burned to play for the hometown team, he wasn't about to risk his $65 million payday to do it. Anthony wanted his money, even if he had to take it from the Nuggets or the New Jersey Nets.

"The Knicks knew if they didn't get Carmelo at the trade deadline," said one source close to the negotiations, "they were never going to get him."

This wasn't the case with LeBron James, because James never said he wanted to play in New York. Anthony told everyone he wanted to spend the balance of his prime in the Garden. If the Knicks didn't make it happen, they would've lost whatever respect they had left around the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=6146150

Yup, someone is clueless and his name is 1970knickslove. :oops:

jpz17

Starter
that is a very good thread here. I think the biggest problem with the Knicks is James Dolan. He is just thinking about money no matter what, even if it makes us lose more. he would sign allen iverson if he could just to raise ticket prices.

now if he would be more smart he could be like the Yankees and realize winning puts people in hte seats more than anything, not the names on the jerseys.

Simmer down my emotional child. It's common knowledge, read an article, watch a video or use your "brain" if yo dont want to take my word for it. The only reason NJ was in play to the very end was because Melo would have signed had the Knicks failed to get him. The CBA was too much for him to gamble on.

Chandler gone this off season therefore a wash. Practically worthless to Denver unless they plan on giving him his desired 5 year 60 mil deal. I doubt it.

Felton was a short term solution hence the 3 year deal. The swap of Billiups is a wash short term and may actually be better considering his championship pedigree and experience.

Moz? Meh, def not worth blowing up the deal over.

AR....could not crack the rotation and a perennial underachiever.

Gallo, only player I am truly upset about giving up. That said, you do not get Melo for free so it was necessary. (Plus they play the same position)

I agree, Walsh is probably gone and that sucks. I rather Melo then Walsh though. Thomas will never be our GM/Prez again so don't cry.

You are WRONG again. There was NO indication that Carmelo would sign with the Nets. He could still have signed with the Nuggets my dysfunctional friend.
When you have the mind reading software let me get the licensing rights to it.

When you said that Melo has taken the Nuggets to two WC finals (WRONG) I know now to take what you say with a grain of salt.

We shall see if this team does anything at all.

Walsh will leave with dignity.

Isiah does not have a title but he is bed with Dolan and is in his brain.

That does not bode well for the Knicks.

You guys complain about everything.. We have 2 top 15 players in the NBA on OUR team. I don't see why anyone would have their panties in a bunch

<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1">The Knicks were a couple of days away from receiving Carmelo Anthony for only Eddy Curry, but instead they let go of four championship pieces in Gallo, Chandler, Felton and Mosgov.From a Knick perspective, this is probably the worst trade since the Wilt Chamberlain for Archie Clark, Jerry Chambers and Darrall Imhoff trade.Not only will the Knicks be the laughing stock of the Eastern Conference once again, the Nuggets are now one of the most well balanced and complete teams in the NBA and are going to surpass the Mavericks and Lakers in the standings.This trade makes the Marbury one look like the Scottie Pippen for Olden Polynice trade.And James Dolan just proved why he easily makes Donald Sterling look like George Steinbrenner.

Tell this to Trillion the clueless one.

He thinks he is an expert but never has his facts right.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
You are WRONG again. There was NO indication that Carmelo would sign with the Nets. He could still have signed with the Nuggets my dysfunctional friend.
When you have the mind reading software let me get the licensing rights to it.

When you said that Melo has taken the Nuggets to two WC finals (WRONG) I know now to take what you say with a grain of salt.

We shall see if this team does anything at all.

Walsh will leave with dignity.

Isiah does not have a title but he is bed with Dolan and is in his brain.

That does not bode well for the Knicks.

No mindreading...just reading guy. :teeth:

Anthony had told Dolan he wanted that $65 million contract extension, and had no plans on waiting for free agency and the massive pay cut the new collective bargaining agreement would bring. That's why Denver kept pushing for more and more in this deal, and why the Knicks had to keep giving more and more.

As much as the Brooklyn-born forward burned to play for the hometown team, he wasn't about to risk his $65 million payday to do it. Anthony wanted his money, even if he had to take it from the Nuggets or the New Jersey Nets.

"The Knicks knew if they didn't get Carmelo at the trade deadline," said one source close to the negotiations, "they were never going to get him."

This wasn't the case with LeBron James, because James never said he wanted to play in New York. Anthony told everyone he wanted to spend the balance of his prime in the Garden. If the Knicks didn't make it happen, they would've lost whatever respect they had left around the league.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Tell this to Trillion the clueless one.

He thinks he is an expert but never has his facts right.

:teeth:

You are an emotional crybaby accusing me of not having facts yet I posted an article that backs up what my own two eyes and brain observed. Sorry if simple logic is not sufficient and you needed me to do your homework for you and find an article on ESPN front page. There are more articles too backing up my position...where are yours? Do you have an article or proof that Melo was willing to gamble with the CBA? Oh thats right! You are talking out of your ass while accusing me of not having facts1 :thumbsup:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Get your facts right about melo taking the Nuggets to 2 WC finals. (WRONG)

Melo could have signed the extension with the Nuggets instead of the Nets.

You have no clue what he would have done.

Right, Nets or the Nuggets. Same result, Knicks losing out on Melo. Hence we had to up our offer. I see you trying to save face now.

My bad on saying 2 WC finals. Change of subject huh? Sure sign you are losing the debate in this thread. :thumbsup: