ESPN has us taking DJ Augustine at 6

metrocard

Legend
He's also one of the most talented prospects in the league. He was having a breakthrough season until that awful injury. Hes been out ever since. He just go permission to do basketball activities again. He's better than DJ ever will be.

Livingston is a BUST. His conditioning is terrible and he has failed to put on muscle mass. His frame is FRAGILE and he's the most injury prone PG in the NBA. Being healthy is a major part of sports, and Livingston is terrible at staying healthy, in the best shape and has problems recovering from injuries.

Do you realize how many injuries/surgeries this kid had already? He isn't going to have a good first step anymore and his foot speed is going back a couple of motors.

He's 6"7 with a poor jumpshot and limited scoring ability. Great passer, court vision and ball handling skills, but he isn't ever going to be the same again.

Augustin right now could step in an produce more than Livingston has done.

Livingston is a career 7 ppg and 5 asssist player. Augustin was a college 20 and 6 player, similar to Chris Paul. He could do a lot of special things in the NBA within time. Don't ever doubt players like Augustin.

DaTPRiNCE, why can't Augustin develop into a good defender, but Westbrook could all of a sudden develop a good jumpshot? Augustin's defense isn't bad at all, it just doesn't good as Westbrook. Augustin by far has bigger upside. You don't find pure PG's like Augustin all the time in the draft. Augustin is the purest PG and compares nicely to someone like Nash. Westbrook is a COMBO guard like Keyon Dooling, that isn't attractive nor doesn't have much upside. Most combo guards are BENCH players. We're looking for a FUTURE starter in this draft. Thats what we need.

TunerAddict

Starter
Well your argument was faulty about Westbrook and DJ. You can practice and become a better shooter. However, you cant teach height, which is DJ's biggest problem when defending. He would be like Nate is, posted up, shot over like nothing. Thats the level the NBA is at, guys just as quick as DJ, but in 6'5" frames.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Livingston is a BUST. His conditioning is terrible and he has failed to put on muscle mass. His frame is FRAGILE and he's the most injury prone PG in the NBA. Being healthy is a major part of sports, and Livingston is terrible at staying healthy, in the best shape and has problems recovering from injuries.

Do you realize how many injuries/surgeries this kid had already? He isn't going to have a good first step anymore and his foot speed is going back a couple of motors.

He's 6"7 with a poor jumpshot and limited scoring ability. Great passer, court vision and ball handling skills, but he isn't ever going to be the same again.

Augustin right now could step in an produce more than Livingston has done.

Livingston is a career 7 ppg and 5 asssist player. Augustin was a college 20 and 6 player, similar to Chris Paul. He could do a lot of special things in the NBA within time. Don't ever doubt players like Augustin.

DaTPRiNCE, why can't Augustin develop into a good defender, but Westbrook could all of a sudden develop a good jumpshot? Augustin's defense isn't bad at all, it just doesn't good as Westbrook. Augustin by far has bigger upside. You don't find pure PG's like Augustin all the time in the draft. Augustin is the purest PG and compares nicely to someone like Nash. Westbrook is a COMBO guard like Keyon Dooling, that isn't attractive nor doesn't have much upside. Most combo guards are BENCH players. We're looking for a FUTURE starter in this draft. Thats what we need.

i never said anything against Augustin's defense lmao i actually think he's a pretty good defender and i would love for us to get him... but i also wouldn't mind Westbrook because his defense is there and he could run a team although not as good as Augustin the only thing is getting his half-court play better and his jumpshot to respectability and with D'Antoni he could get the jumpshot down and he'll have his chance to shine....but still i would LOVE to land either one of them...although Augustin's point guard skills can't be taught...you can't teach vision and with us being in the market for a point guard Augustin is a very intriguing option

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
to everyone saying height is a concern well it isn't as long as you could play the game you'll be fine look at Paul( who's only a little taller then Augustin if not the same height..and even though their games aren't the same look at Iverson and their both MONSTERS ). so Augustine will be fine in the NBA he got the PG skills to succeed and he got a dangerous 3-point shot

were looking at the next Steve Nash...and i would love to have a young Steve Nash on our team

metrocard

Legend
Well your argument was faulty about Westbrook and DJ. You can practice and become a better shooter. However, you cant teach height, which is DJ's biggest problem when defending. He would be like Nate is, posted up, shot over like nothing. Thats the level the NBA is at, guys just as quick as DJ, but in 6'5" frames.

Since when height made you a good defender? Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace were considered undersized but still manage to be known as the most elite defenders at their positions. Do you even remember Slako Vranes? LMAO; he was 7"6 and a terrible defender. Yao is a poor defender, Shaq is terrible one on one, Shawn Bradley was a good shot blocker but really sucked on holding his man. The tallest players in the league are usually the worst on terms of man to man defender.

D.J. is actually faster with the basketball than Westbrook. Westbrook's average ball handling slows him down. D.J. is a rock with a fast controlled dribble along with his great speed. Plus, scouts all have been raving about DJ's quickness and agility.

And PG's getting posted up isn't a primary problem you worry about because theres only 4-5 PG's in the NBA with a serious post game.

You can improve shooting, but where Westbrook is at; his ceiling is limited for his jumpshot and won't ever become a reliable shooter in his career.

Augustin is a VERY GOOD SHOOTER, who could get better which would be a major plus for us.

Settling for Westbrook is settling for medicority. You guys shouldn't be stuck in Isiah area of medicority. Augustin is that DUDE at PG, Mayo is that DUDE at SG, Alexander is that DUDE at SF, Ibaka is that DUDE at PF Alexis Ajinca is that DUDE at C. These guys will surprise a lot of people. I've done a lot of research and all these guys have the attributes to be really good in the NBA.

Defense will be addressed later. Theres a lot of good defenders in the free agency and free agents outside of the NBA.

Westbrook would be a great pick if we had an established young player that can could take command of this team. Westbrook would probably be the best complimentary player in this draft. But he isn't a player you want taking control like Mayo, Rose, Beasley, Bayless, Augustin, Gallinari...etc.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?page=DraftVideo-Augustin

this is interesting i found out some interesting things about the prospects through these videos....this one is of Augustin but if you go on the link and click the players pic it goes to a video about them

i found out that when Collinson was injured Westbrook lead the pac-10 in assists during Collinson's absence so he is a point guardhe just need to play more like one...but still Augustin is the better pg

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I really hope Donnie Walsh drafts DJ Augustin, if Mayo isn't available at #6. But with Walsh, you never know. He's made numerous shocking decisions, since being named President, by Jim Dolan. First, he fires Isiah as coach and makes him a consultant. Then, he acts as if he's going to hire Mark Jackson for the coaching job, but he ends up hiring Mike D'Antoni. Who knows who Walsh is going to draft, and who knows what he's going to do with the pick?

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Yea Walsh is all over the place on draft nights we don't know what he's gonna do whatever it is i hope it's that he trades up for Mayo or he draft Augustine or Westbrook

one of those three have to be drafted by us...Mayo Westbrook Augustine

and IF we trade down it better be for a darn good player...and i mean GOOD

Is this guy a jpz17 alias? Why would Augustine be defended by 6'5" players? He is not a shooting guard. He is a point guard numb nuts. Chris Paul is a great defender. Even Mugsey bogues was not that bad of a defender. How tall is Augustin, 5'10"? If Mayo is already picked we have to pick DJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

metrocard

Legend
Augustin was equally excited, focusing on joining the current crop of Knicks players

"They've got some great players and great pieces here," he said. "I feel like I can learn from those guys and would fit in well. I talked to both Mr. Walsh and Coach D'Antoni. They are both great men. They like me, and hopefully I showed I can play for them. You've got to be able to show them that you can do everything. Getting everybody else involved, be smart and you've got to show them you can play defense"
Like every other prospect to work out with the Knicks, the players seemed excited by the possibility of playing up for D'Antoni and participating in the kind offense he made famous in Phoenix.

"Coach D'Antoni runs a great system," said Augustin, widely viewed as one of the purest point guards in the draft. "He uses a lot of pick and rolls and is all about pushing the ball, and I did a lot of that in college. It would be great for me to come in and run this system.

"I'm just a point guard. I know what I can do at the point. I can lead, and get everybody in the right position to be effective on the court. … I'm trying to show that I work hard and play hard. I'm a leader. I can shoot the ball and do everything."

augustinworkoutin.jpg

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
If the Knicks get DJ Augustin, I could see the Knicks winning at least 28 games next year, and I could see the Knicks making the playoffs in 2010.

TunerAddict

Starter
If the Knicks get DJ Augustin, I could see the Knicks winning at least 28 games next year, and I could see the Knicks making the playoffs in 2010.

I disagree was DJ being the cause. Marbury is a better player in ever facet of the game and gives us a much better chance.

metrocard

Legend
D.J. Augustin seems the the safest pick. The longer you delay getting Mike D'Antoni his engine, the longer the healing process will take. So if you have a chance to get a player who plays like Steve Nash and WANTS to pass the ball and a floor general and make his teammates better, you have to do it. I know there are questions about Augustin's size but it's not a big deal. Chris Paul, T.J. Ford, Damon Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon and Tim Hardaway to name a few, were also 5'11"-6' tall. Don't forget they need to increase the trade value of a lot of these players and it's easier to do so with a true PG like Augustin.

As far as the 6th pick being a reach for Augustin, I don't think that makes any sense considering he's an option for the L.A. Clippers at 7. Funny that any of the options at 6 can also fall down all the way to 11 and 12. There is no such thing as a reach in this Draft. Knicks are picking 3rd tier players.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I disagree was DJ being the cause. Marbury is a better player in ever facet of the game and gives us a much better chance.
I never said Marbury can't help the Knicks win games. I just think Augustin gives the Knicks a better chance. What do you think is better? Marbury having playing alongside scrubs, like Eddy Curry, Jerome James, Quentin Richardson, Jared Jeffries, and Mardy Collins? Or Marbury getting to play alongside newer and better talent, ex: Augustin? It's a no brainer that the Knicks have a better chance to win with Augustin than they do with Q-Hitch and Eats Cities Curry.

Last edited:

jpz17

Starter
I think I'd like us to pick Lopez almost.. We need a better center, if we can trade Curry on draft night for trashy players and another later pick, then we can pick a pg at like 15 or something, and we'd have Lopez at C, and a new PG, and Curry would be GONE

dre48ny

Rotation player
Is this guy a jpz17 alias? Why would Augustine be defended by 6'5" players? He is not a shooting guard. He is a point guard numb nuts. Chris Paul is a great defender. Even Mugsey bogues was not that bad of a defender. How tall is Augustin, 5'10"? If Mayo is already picked we have to pick DJ.

Mayo will not be available by that time, so yes Augustine is the right choice. Augustine is a pure PG. One of the best pure PG's out there is Nash, oh yeah D'Antoni used to coach him!!!!!!!!