ESPN has us taking DJ Augustine at 6

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't really like Eric Gordon, because I think he's Jamal Crawford II, and I don't see a reason to have two of the exact same players on the same team. Also, he's too turnover prone. Do you think someone that averages 3.6 turnovers could play point guard? He's going to end up being an undersized shooting guard, once he comes to the NBA, and the Knicks already have too many disadvantages on defense to take a chance on an undersized shooting guard.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ agreed that was our problem with Isiah building this team is that he put too much of the same players around each other...players who demand the ball to be effective and they don't play defense so i see no point to do that again we should get players who play the team game and they also play defense and with heart which is something we need..HEART! so instead of going for players who are just scorers how about we give rebuilding the right way a shot whih is why we got Walsh right? i mean if he starts going for the same players but shorter/taller versions it'll be Isiah 2.0...but i got faith and i believe that Walsh knows what he's doing and we'll be in the playoffs soon i hope

metrocard

Legend
The Knicks are reportedly seriously looking at D.J. Augustin as an option when they use the sixth pick in the 2008 NBA Draft on Thursday, according to The New York Daily News.

They need a point guard badly, and the other top prospects don't seem quite as realistic.

Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless will both likely be off the board, and Russell Westbrook isn't considered as ready as Augustin to come in and lead a franchise right away.

Some of Augustin's critics believe that going that high would be a reach, especially since his stock fell slightly after Rose and Memphis embarrassed Texas during the NCAA Tournament.

"That scared some people because you're looking at Augustin thinking, will this also happen on the next level?" said one Eastern Conference GM. "But he is the consummate point guard. He knows how to run a team, and he can come in and do it right away, no questions asked. He's crafty with the ball. He can get his shot. And he can shoot it."

YES!!!!!!!!

MAYO @ 5
AUGUSTIN @ 6

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I still say we wait for Ricky Rubio next year. We have Marbury, Nate, Crawford and Collins to run the point this year. Unless Marbury is bought out or we trade away some of those players there will be too many guards on this team.

We still need a SF and a shot blocker in the low-post. I don't think Chandler and Balkman will ever be starters in this league and in D'Antoni's system you need a legit 3 point threat at the 3-spot. We don't have any legit 3 point threats at any position. I think I'm the only one left on this site that still thinks we should draft Gallineri but he makes the most sense for our needs and will fit D'Antoni's system the best. I would prefer Mayo but I don't think he will be avialable. Rubio at PG and Gallineri at SF in D'Antoni's system could work well.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Chandler has what it takes to be successful in this league all he needs is to continue to improve and with D'Antoni he could be a really good player in the near future of course i don't mean this upcoming year i mean like in a yr or so for now he'll be effective and how bout we try developing our young players instead of trading them ll lets give them a shot before we start rebuilding...the celtics coulda easily gotten a point gaurd but they chose to give rondo a shot and he came up big

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Chandler has what it takes to be successful in this league all he needs is to continue to improve and with D'Antoni he could be a really good player in the near future of course i don't mean this upcoming year i mean like in a yr or so for now he'll be effective and how bout we try developing our young players instead of trading them ll lets give them a shot before we start rebuilding...the celtics coulda easily gotten a point gaurd but they chose to give rondo a shot and he came up big

I don't know, Chandler seems like he will be a Trevor Ariza type of player. Still a good player but only contributing off the bench. That's just my personal opinion though. We'll have to wait and see. I would love for him to be great but his inconsistent outside shooting has me worried. If he works hard this offseason and I see improvement than I will feel better about him being a starter but I'm not ready to say our SF needs are filled.

I don't know, Chandler seems like he will be a Trevor Ariza type of player. Still a good player but only contributing off the bench. That's just my personal opinion though. We'll have to wait and see. I would love for him to be great but his inconsistent outside shooting has me worried. If he works hard this offseason and I see improvement than I will feel better about him being a starter but I'm not ready to say our SF needs are filled.

Completely agree with you, Chandler didn't show nearly enough to stake a claim as a starter just yet, obviusly he needs time as most players do, but we can't just shut down and presume that he will flourish into what we expect him to. He has potential but how many times do we say players have potential and they never quite reach it.

Time out...

Im not say Chandler is going to be an all-star, but he is already leaps and bounds better than Trevor Ariza is now as a complete player. Teams are not leaving Chandler wide open daring him to shoot, and unlike Ariza he can break down a defense and create his own shot. Trevor is Balkman. Chandler's upside can be what a Richard Jefferson is if he continues to grow. I'd take that if it happens.

I will also say this.. I have been saying Augustine should be our pick at pg if Rose and Mayo are gone which it appears they will be. Rose probably has more upside, but he is certainly not more ready to lead a team right now than DJ. Mayo would have ultimately been my pick of all three for his size and ability. But you don't get NBA ready pg's too often in the draft. And Augustine is ready, right now. Have to take him if the others are gone.

metrocard

Legend
I would jizz all over the TV if we get Mayo and Augustin.

I would search for Donny and ass rape him if he gets another pick and takes Ajinca.

no homo.

I'd be really careful about drafting a small point guard who is a defensive liability. NBA has become a point guard league over the last few years and you need someone who could guard. Augustin is small as well as slow and please lets not compare him to Chris Paul.

metrocard

Legend
D.J. Augustin seems the the safest pick. The longer you delay getting Mike D'Antoni his engine, the longer the healing process will take. So if you have a chance to get a player who plays like Steve Nash and WANTS to pass the ball and a floor general and make his teammates better, you have to do it. I know there are questions about Augustin's size but it's not a big deal. Chris Paul, T.J. Ford, Damon Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon and Tim Hardaway to name a few, were also 5'11"-6' tall.

Being a great pointguard is not about raw speed its about the ability to CHANGE speeds. Look at Nash. In no way is he even in the top 5 in terms of fastest or most athletic pg's, but he never ever ever picks up his dribble and he creates space by seemingly jerky yet controlled spurts of speed that keep the defender off balance. Splitting the double team is about being able to sense the defender being off balance and knowing when to pass and when to shoot. Augustin has that.

The best thing about DJ is he has long arms and quick feet and was a good defender in college.

Hollinger's article on ESPN; His system actually has Augustin ranked higer than Derrick Rose.

Last edited:
I know there are questions about Augustin's size but it's not a big deal. Chris Paul, T.J. Ford, Damon Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon and Tim Hardaway to name a few, were also 5'11"-6' tall.

To compare Augustin to Chris Paul is ridiculous. Hardaway was never a pure point guard but his explosiveness, range on his shot and ability to get insanely hot made up for that. Augustin has none of those scoring skills. I like Ford but even when he's been healthy has never been a consistent player and has alway s been a liability on the d. Stoudamire was never a pass first point guard and awful defensively. His acquisition was really the beginning of the end of those really good Portland teams. Terrell Brandon was bigger then Augustin and a terrific defender, one of the most underrated players of his generation.

Augustin seems to me as a worse version of Mark Jackson with a better 3 point shot. Remember everywhere Mark Jackson went he always had a defensive caddie with him.

You don't draft role players at 6. Augustin can lead a offense and put up big numbers in the NBA, where Westbrook struggles in the half court, with a very weak mid range game and limited 3pt range. He isn't a THREAT at all because he cannot create his own shot and is an average ball handler. He has alot of inexperience at the PG position and these are facts you can't deny. Westbrook is the last guard I would pick in the 1st round.

You don't get a lot of franchise players or even all stars at six either. If somebody told you Westbrook was gonna be Bruce Bowen for the next 10 years you wouldn't draft him? I don't think anybody is expecting Westbrook to come in and dominate at the point guard position. What they are expecting is a guy who plays hard, plays great defense and at 19 years old has a tremendous amount of upside. Every criticism you have of Westbrook sounds exactly like what they were saying about Rondo and I'd have Rondo on my team any day.

Being a great pointguard is not about raw speed its about the ability to CHANGE speeds. Look at Nash. In no way is he even in the top 5 in terms of fastest or most athletic pg's, but he never ever ever picks up his dribble and he creates space by seemingly jerky yet controlled spurts of speed that keep the defender off balance. Splitting the double team is about being able to sense the defender being off balance and knowing when to pass and when to shoot. Augustin has that.

Again you're comparing him to a hall of famer in Steve Nash and that's not fair. All I know is that when I saw Augustin play against the defenders/athletes of Memphis he showed none of the things that you're talking about. Memphis destroyed him and completely took him out of his game. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not everyone of Augustin's deficiencies were exposed in that game and that has to be a concern going into the next level. Oh and Rose ate him alive on the other end of the floor lest we forget.

The best thing about DJ is he has long arms and quick feet and was a good defender in college.

No he wasn't.

This message is hidden because Eddy Currys House Special is on your ignore list.

Stay out of my thread, you're not wanted on this site, fatass.

Be a man not a baby douchebag. What a goddamn loser you are. Just can never handle a person disagreeing with you without resorting to name calling and childish behavior. Grow the fuck up or get the fuck out.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
This message is hidden because Eddy Currys House Special is on your ignore list.

Fat boy is obsessed with me he has to follow all of my threads, dude hasn't made one good post on this site, watch him reply back out of anger; too stupid to realize he's on my ignore list :lol:

You're not worthy for me to read your post; you're the worst poster on this site.

Best pure PG in the draft.

? Strong build
? Basketball instincts
? Mix between scoring/passing
? Outstanding ball-handling skills w/either hand
? Change of gears/Hesitation moves
? Ability to get to free throw line
? Pick and roll play
? Perimeter shooting
? Off the dribble shooting
? Quick release
? Mid-range game
? Transition play
? Court vision
? Unselfishness
? Under control play
? Assist to turnover ratio
? Commitment to playing defense
? Fundamentals
? Intangibles
? Winner

unlimited abiliy to assist every which way, whether it be feeding the post, pushing the ball in transition, drive-and-dishing, or just finding open shooters on the perimeter.

Fat boy is obsessed with me he has to follow all of my threads, dude hasn't made one good post on this site, watch him reply back out of anger; too stupid to realize he's on my ignore list :lol:

You're not worthy for me to read your post; you're the worst poster on this site.

Best pure PG in the draft.

• Strong build
• Basketball instincts
• Mix between scoring/passing
• Outstanding ball-handling skills w/either hand
• Change of gears/Hesitation moves
• Ability to get to free throw line
• Pick and roll play
• Perimeter shooting
• Off the dribble shooting
• Quick release
• Mid-range game
• Transition play
• Court vision
• Unselfishness
• Under control play
• Assist to turnover ratio
• Commitment to playing defense
• Fundamentals
• Intangibles
• Winner

unlimited abiliy to assist every which way, whether it be feeding the post, pushing the ball in transition, drive-and-dishing, or just finding open shooters on the perimeter.

I love how he writes how I'm ignored but then proceeds to respond to everything that I wrote. Metrotard doesn't quote me so he thinks he's being all slick, what a genius aye?

You don't read what I writte but your last two posts in this thread have defended dj augustin right after I knocked him? hahahaha Metrotard does have me on ignore but is removing that function every time I post just so he could read what I write and then puts it back on. Ok dude I'll let you let you live in your delusion.

Well considering the rate you post threads on here it's kind of hard not to post in them. You're the one that seems to be the obsessed one dude. Babbling on and on about how awful I am, how you've ignored me blah blah but yet you always respond to me and always seem to have something personal to say about me.

I'm not angry at all dude I just think you're a joke and I don't take you seriously (remember I saw how much of clown you are on your myspace page). I'd like to have discussions about the Knicks but youd rather stomp your foot like a child who was told to go to bed early. Why because after every one of my posts you're left with no choice but to shut up and go to bed but before you do you throw your usual tantrum. When I debate with you you're like Jamal Crawford, no defense so like your idol Stepon Marbury instead of trying to compete with me you put the towel over your head and pout like a baby.

It's ok I get it, no worries.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
This user is on your Ignore List.

Dumbass won't get out of my thread :lol:

dumbass.jpg

:teeth::teeth::teeth::afro:

Akamu

The King
This user is on your Ignore List.

Dumbass won't get out of my thread :lol:

dumbass.jpg

:teeth::teeth::teeth::afro:

I don't approve of some of these fights on here, but I can't help but laugh at that, nice hat ROFL!

Eddycurryhousemenu, If Metrocard is ignoring you then why bother wasting your time on him?

I don't approve of some of these fights on here, but I can't help but laugh at that, nice hat ROFL!

Eddycurryhousemenu, If Metrocard is ignoring you then why bother wasting your time on him?

Well I'm sharing my opinion that is in direct opposition to his and whether he 'ignores' it or not is irrelevant to what I write or why. Secondly, if you look at his posts he responds to my criticism of Augustin he just doesn't quote me.