Thanks Walsh

jpz17

Starter
Guys I just want to take this time to thank Donnie Walsh personally for all he has done with these Knicks.

Their roster with Isiah compared to now is unbelievable.

Before Walsh we wouldn't be able to even think about some cap room til 2013.

Thanks Walsh!

(PS- Also, bringing in the best coach in basketball was the best addition.)

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Guys I just want to take this time to thank Donnie Walsh personally for all he has done with these Knicks.

Their roster with Isiah compared to now is unbelievable.

Before Walsh we wouldn't be able to even think about some cap room til 2013.

Thanks Walsh!

(PS- Also, bringing in the best coach in basketball was the best addition.)

Co-sign..we went from one of the worst run franchises in ALL of sports to a young team with a good fiscal outlook. Walsh and Dantoni will bring us a title in the next 5 years! :crossfingers:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
You guys must have very low standards for a GM. Anyone could have traded away our best players to get under the cap. That shit aint rocket science. What's disturbing me is this shitty pick ups. Darko? That's like settling for mediocrity. I can't give him credit yet. He's got one more year. If we aren't a contender he should immediately resign.

I agree with the OP. Not sure we'll win a title in 5 years but I know that we'll be good. Unfortunately, in the NBA, a couple of bad decisions kill you for years. The only way to get better is the way they're doing it now. Look at the Phoenix Suns not too long ago. One of the worst teams in the league when they were clearing cap space.

TunerAddict

Starter
You guys must have very low standards for a GM. Anyone could have traded away our best players to get under the cap. That shit aint rocket science. What's disturbing me is this shitty pick ups. Darko? That's like settling for mediocrity. I can't give him credit yet. He's got one more year. If we aren't a contender he should immediately resign.

Yea, because Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph are so damn good. They both just got traded again because the those teams realized Donnie tricked them.

skelos

Rookie
Having the patience to wait for the best offer and not dumping players for the 1st deal that came helped the knicks remain competetive during the season. instead of acquiring of garbage players with bad contracts and 2nd round picks make donnie a great gm especially compared to what we had. And he also got rid of probaly the most useless person in the history of the league

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Darko, settling for mediocrity? Keep in mind we got rid of Q-Brick and got someone who actually blocks shots.

And we have no cap room thanks to Isiah, you can't possibly blame Donnie for not making a big splash in 2009 free agency especially if we're waiting on the Summer of LeBron

jpz17

Starter
agreed with the newer guys. Don, you need to settle down. Your sig isn't impressing anyone, and your lack of the Knicks goals isn't impressing anyone. Walsh said this would be a project. That starts by getting cheaper and younger. The vets will always come VIA FA to NY. It is a matter of getting youth and being able to sign the players.

Look at NYK as the Yankees of basketball

NYK 33 TaVe

Benchwarmer

Are you kidding me, getting rid of Jerome James is nearly impossible his contract was huge and is absolutely no asset to a team. He got rid of Zach Randolph who also was a huge contract. Wait till the knicks get Lebron and it will be all worth it. Trading for Darko brings a shot blocker and guess what.. more cap room for Lebron. I tip my hat to Donnie.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Good points.

Donnie's a good GM but that's all he is. He can't pull miracles out of his ass.

He's drafted well so far and he's traded away all of our dead weight cancer players who were eating into cap space for 2010 (I do think the Marbury situation could've been handled better, but other than that...). No matter how good a GM Donnie Walsh is he's not turning this team into a championship team in one season. All he can do is do the best with what he's got and start from step one: Getting rid of dead weight.

Seriously, how in the world Donnie managed to deal Z-Bo and his gigantic contract is beyond me. Same goes for how we managed to get rid of Jamal Crawford.

We got rid of our players who had suspect defense and huge contracts. We brought in players with expiring contracts and drafted good rookies. How much more can you expect from Donnie Walsh given the circumstances? Look at all the crap Isiah did:

Isiah gave up the 2nd pick in the 2006 Draft (thanks, we could've had Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, LaMarcus Aldridge, but no, all we got out of that draft was Renaldo freaking Balkman), a 2004 draft pick which turned out to be #16 (we could've picked, say, Jameer Nelson, J.R. Smith, etc.), a 2010 draft pick (which shows Isiah's STILL screwing us in the ass), brought in expensive players who were awful on defense and were often injured like Penny Hardaway, Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury, signed shitty players like Jerome James and Jared Jeffries to the full MLE, and further more even went as far as to say that he had no intention of leaving the Knicks until he turned the team around.

He made this franchise into a complete joke, and Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni made us playoff contenders into the last month WHILE shedding salary cap space. There's got to be something to be said about Walsh's ability to do that, given that he's STILL cleaning up Isiah's mess.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I think one thing that makes this guy, and you walshsexuals, questionable is the way in which Donnie (funny little name for a 100-year-old) worked Marbury, when he could have been a man and told him he wanted him out, from the get go.

As for "dumping" Randolph and Crawford, they were our only desirable pieces, hardly dumping when teams actually like them. In return, we got lesser value, IMO, but saved cap: no difference, there.

The only Walsh move I was ever impressed with was the James trade.

A little move, like drafting Gallo, a one-dimensional, self-important bust, over a stud like Lopez, in my opinion, will ruin his legacy, unless this team becomes better... soon. Lopez will be an all-star center, he and Howard will have legendary battles. We could have had Lopez, as the heir to Ewing's throne, but D'Antoni is a family man and puts them first

As I've said before, a lineup of Marbury, Crawford, Zach, Chandler and Lopez would have been a playoff team, with the ability to advance and improve (with time, especially 2010). Now, you want a championship team, by 2010, when we don't even have a good foundation of players.

Also, Randolph and Crawford cannot be judged by the fact that the Knicks failed, while they were here, simply because they had to play with Eddy Curry. In fact, Crawford especially deserves some slack, Curry followed him his whole career. Behind Johnson, watch Jamal shine and the Hawks improve. If Zach gets on a good team, where he can be a second option to a good player, same thing. Zach on the Spurs, with Duncan at center, would be legendary.

Last edited:

donchris

I think one thing that makes this guy, and you walshsexuals, questionable is the way in which Donnie (funny little name for a 100-year-old) worked Marbury, when he could have been a man and told him he wanted him out, from the get go.

As for "dumping" Randolph and Crawford, they were our only desirable pieces, hardly dumping when teams actually like them. In return, we got lesser value, IMO, but saved cap: no difference, there.

The only Walsh move I was ever impressed with was the James trade.

A little move, like drafting Gallo, a one-dimensional, self-important bust, over a stud like Lopez, in my opinion, will ruin his legacy, unless this team becomes better... soon. Lopez will be an all-star center, he and Howard will have legendary battles. We could have had Lopez, as the heir to Ewing's throne, but D'Antoni is a family man and puts them first

As I've said before, a lineup of Marbury, Crawford, Zach, Chandler and Lopez would have been a playoff team, with the ability to advance and improve (with time, especially 2010). Now, you want a championship team, by 2010, when we don't even have a good foundation of players.

Also, Randolph and Crawford cannot be judged by the fact that the Knicks failed, while they were here, simply because they had to play with Eddy Curry. In fact, Crawford especially deserves some slack, Curry followed him his whole career. Behind Johnson, watch Jamal shine and the Hawks improve. If Zach gets on a good team, where he can be a second option to a good player, same thing. Zach on the Spurs, with Duncan at center, would be legendary.

This is exactly my point. Walsh's biggest move so far was trading Jerome James. Other then this he gets credit for making moves that can potentially help us in two seasons. Nothing he's done improves the team now. When he signed on he said he wanted to protect the cap while making us more competitive. That hasn't happened and wont with these little bullshit signings. I'm not saying throw it all away for a big name this season but he could have made better moves. He shouldn't get credit yet.

LeFlume

All Star
If Lopez is such an all-star caliber center, why did the Nets miss the playoffs? The Big Three in The Meadowland's. Vince Carter, Devin Harris and Brook Lopez didn't make it..

Knicks would never have made the playoffs with Marbury on their team. We could have had Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron but we would have failed if the biggest tard in pro sport history had been at the point...

donchris

yeah, njerome james, malik rose n q rich are such easy players to trade

Rose and Richardson both had expiring contracts. Again, not rocket science.

SSj4Wingzero said:
Darko, settling for mediocrity? Keep in mind we got rid of Q-Brick and got someone who actually blocks shots.

And we have no cap room thanks to Isiah, you can't possibly blame Donnie for not making a big splash in 2009 free agency especially if we're waiting on the Summer of LeBron

Are you aware that Darko is considered the biggest draft bust of the last 10 seasons? Forget Gorat for a sec, Knicks would have been better off signing a player in the D-League then getting Darko. If Thomas went after Darko you'd all be calling for his head. Then to add insult to injury they talk up Hill as if he's going to make an impact. My fiance doesn't even watch basket ball but when she saw me reading the Knicks coveted Hill, she said 'Isn't he like 38 or something? No wonder why your team stinks.'

Here's my point. Walsh gets points for being conservative and getting the Knicks under the cap. He gets points for trading the absolutely useless Jerome James. He loses points for signing Darko, Hill and D'Antoni. And all of this will be a complete loss if we don't get Labron or Wade after next season.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Forgetting what Walsh has done for a second...lets talk about what he HASN'T done:

traded draft picks away
took on long expensive contracts
over payed scrubs or role players (Isiah would have given Lee a max deal and somehow traded draft picks)
kept Marbury

etc
etc

These were common practices that we all have gotten used to. 2010 will be the first time since Ewing was in uniform that we will have cap space to make a real splash in the FA market. He has kept a young, athletic, cheap team that we can build around for years to come.

Darko for Qrich was a zero risk great trade that directly addressed a need. We now have a shotblocking 7 footer who is 23 and can hit a jumpshot and run the floor. If he does not work out he is gone and it has ZERO impact on our future.

The fact is Walsh came in here with a plan and is sticking with it. It is not easy to set a 3-5 year goal and push on amongst criticism or convenient opportunities to get marginally better at the expense of our fiscal outlook. It takes discipline and patience to undue years of mismanagement and bad contracts.

Let's not forget that he signed a top 3 head coach and future hall of famer. We saw an increase in wins form the Isiah era. We drafted Gallinari, Hill and Douglas all of whom have great potential. Further, this off season has just begun so to try and say Walsh isn't doing enough is very premature.

In conclusion, I think Walsh has us on the right path and the future looks bright. He is not perfect but he stepped into a horrible situation and is doing everything to reverse the damage that was a decade in the making.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, when you don't have a goal of cap space or any reason to believe you can nab a superstar like Lebron or Wade you tend to overpay your restricted free agents. This is because without cap space your only alternative is to keep the players you have or orchestrate a trade to get marginally better.

As to worries about only having room to sign one FA in 2010...lets not forget that 2011 has a decent FA market and we will have additional cap space once Curry and Jefferies are gone. Further, if you attain a Wade or Lebron caliber player it's easy to get star veterans on the cheap...as evidenced from Artest taking the MLE.

NYK 33 TaVe

Benchwarmer
This is exactly my point. Walsh's biggest move so far was trading Jerome James. Other then this he gets credit for making moves that can potentially help us in two seasons. Nothing he's done improves the team now. When he signed on he said he wanted to protect the cap while making us more competitive. That hasn't happened and wont with these little bullshit signings. I'm not saying throw it all away for a big name this season but he could have made better moves. He shouldn't get credit yet.

Once again I disagree, Walsh brought in Harrington who I feel is better than ZBO. Nicer inside game and much better defense, and runs the floor much better. Also Donnie brought in Duhon the guy who now has the franchise record for assists in a game. Hughes has been known as a cancer but certainly did very well as a knick. Walsh also is testing a lot of no name player and giving them 10 day contracts and 900k contracts. He made the team better. Crawford was a big talent loss but once 2010 comes and if the knicks get Lebron all the previous seasons will be forgotten. Just like the celtics, before they got KG and Ray Allen they had 24 wins! That has been forgotten completly. 2010 = the turn around year for the knicks.

sjmp

Rookie
Some of you need to wake up

Marbury was a huge bust. we didnt even improve with him. Isiah was maybe the largest bust of all. For all of you complaining about Walsh. You have a hard time seeing past today and tomorrow. The knicks are no where near competing, and we dont need to go to the ropes just to make it to the playoffs. Not when 2010 is, has been and should remain to be the knicks priority. Not 2009-2010 season. They will try within constraint to be as competitive as possible. But we arent making a run to the finals boys, so just relax and enjoy the kids development this coming season. Getting rid of Zach and Craw were good trades, cause it freed up space - that was the point. not to get better in the deal... GET IT

Somebody said Marbury should of been told right away and treated like a man. Lets examine the fact that you do that in the NBA and the NBPA will be all over you. Donnie is a lawyer chief, lets let the qualified professionals take care of handling the premadonna players.

Lets also not forget to mention that Marbury is a punk. He cannot play team ball. and its way past coincedence that every team he was on became better the moment he left. Get of marburys lap boys that dead.......