2016 NBA Free Agency Thread

tiger0330

Legend
He fits their style actually although It'll be interesting to see what kind of team they become with the former Miami Heat assistant coach now head coach

Waiving Wroten because we acquired Rose makes no sense, we only have 5 guys signed and are looking for a backup PG and SG. He was also on a cheap contract with several trigger dates, only reason to waive him for financial reasons is his cap hold but I think that was only for <200K. I'll be pissed if Wroten does well in Summer League and makes the Griz squad.

mafra

Legend
What do you guys think of Biyombo as an option at the 5. Supposedly he's looking at Rolo money this off-season, he's younger and cheaper than Dwight, Pau and Noah. Might be paying him for having a nice playoffs but can't deny he's a rim protector though his offensive skills underwhelm.

It all depends on cost & options... We got into a terrible contract once laying Jerome James off of 1 solid playoff run. But, like you said, at 15 mil per year... with his ability to protect the rim... Might be a solid signing.

I like the big ALs (Horford & Jefferson)... I think they would be my second target if Noah & Paul were priced out of our range.

I would only sign Howard as a last resort, and if he took a 2 year deal (team option for second year) on a show-me deal.

New New York

Quiet Storm
What do you guys think of Biyombo as an option at the 5. Supposedly he's looking at Rolo money this off-season, he's younger and cheaper than Dwight, Pau and Noah.

Doesn't make sense if we are looking for an uptempo game...plus weary of guys who perform well in the playoffs during contract year. Instantly Roy Hibbert and Jerome Jordan come to mind!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Jamal Crawford would be a great addition to this team, especially if we get Noah.

Our team wouldn't be "old", but we'd need some younger players outside Porzingis. Re-signing Derrick Williams and Lance Thomas would be excellent.

CoolClyde

ahhh, Jerome James. brings back horrid memories of him and Eddy Curry, 2 albatross contracts for under-performing players (or in James case, non-performing). However, Biyombo played well the entire season for Toronto when he had minutes, is a monster shot blocker and has improved his game steadily. He's young and aggressive and a great personality and would fit well on Knicks, IMHO.

You know Toronto will want to keep him for what he brings, but with the salary cap expansion, Biyombo may command mega-bucks anyway. However, playing behind Jonas Valanciunas and draft pick Jakob Poeltl may make him expendable.

for what it's worth, rather have Noah or Pau, who would bring instant gratification and solidify the lineup with their bball knowledge and all around abilities on the O&D end. All depends on how much the market commands, guess we'll find out July 1st and beyond.

tiger0330

Legend
I've said JLin might be the odd man out in CHA. He can play PG and he's come off the bench as the SG along side Kemba. He could spell DRose and play SG with the Knicks, great fit with the Knicks imo.

The Charlotte Hornets would like to re-sign free agent Jeremy Lin but are fearful of losing the point guard, according to league sources.

The Hornets' top priority is bringing back Nicolas Batum, their free-agent swingman who had a breakout season, and they also want to re-sign Marvin Williams, who is a strong presence in the locker room, sources said.

Because Charlotte doesn't own Lin's Larry Bird Rights, those deals are likely to eat up the cap space the team would need to retain Lin.

While the door to a return is not completely closed, sources said Lin will meet with three other clubs beginning at midnight ET on July 1. The meetings will be held in Lin's hometown of Palo Alto, California.
Jeremy Lin is looking for a starting job when he picks the team to sign with in free agency. David Foster III/Charlotte Observer/TNS via Getty Images

Lin, who has played for four teams in the last five years, is looking for stability and hopes to find a long-term home this summer. After coming off the bench the past three seasons with the Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers and Hornets, he also wants to start. Lin averaged 17.5 points and 4.8 assists in 13 games as a starter last season.

"I've played six years in the NBA; I've played on five different teams. I've played for two D-League teams -- so seven cities in six years. I'm tired of boxes, I'm tired of moving companies, and I want to find a home," Lin said in an interview with the World Economic Forum over the weekend.

Lin had a strong season last year for Charlotte, averaging 11.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and 3 assists as the club's sixth man and helping the Hornets reach the playoffs.

"I want to see how good I can become," Lin said. "I'm 27, and an athlete's prime, or at least in the NBA, your prime is usually 27-30. That's when you kind of peak physically [and] mentally and that's where most players perform their best. So I'm going into my prime and I want to see how great I can be as a player, and that's my purpose in free agency -- so I'll just exhaust every opportunity to see which one will be the best for me."

Broadway

All Star
Waiving Wroten because we acquired Rose makes no sense, we only have 5 guys signed and are looking for a backup PG and SG. He was also on a cheap contract with several trigger dates, only reason to waive him for financial reasons is his cap hold but I think that was only for <200K. I'll be pissed if Wroten does well in Summer League and makes the Griz squad.

Talked to a good friend all yr about Wroten since our initial interest in him(December) and usually when things don't end well it's because there were red flags along the way. I knew when we didn't pick him up immediately after being waived especially with the Cleanthony issue that his late pickup was only a distraction to appear as if Phill is hard at work. I felt in my gut he never was going to get a shot, he even spoke like he was confused he wasn't playing at the very end of last yr.

Broadway

All Star
I've said JLin might be the odd man out in CHA. He can play PG and he's come off the bench as the SG along side Kemba. He could spell DRose and play SG with the Knicks, great fit with the Knicks imo.

Lin is trying to get back to Houston offer money, he's going most likely to the highest bidder. He knows how fickle this league is and he wants to get paid again. Mavericks have very high interest in him too. Name dropping the Knicks is only atypical of a player using us to drive the price up.

Last edited:
Reading reports that speculate that Durant will likely re-sign with OKC for a 1-year deal with 1-year player option. He will then test the free agent market again in 2017 alongside Westbrook who would be a free agent in 2017.

If that happens and we want to act like crazy fools as Knicks fans, think ahead to the 2017 offseason with both Durant and Westbrook as free agents. We let Derrick Rose walk at the end of this season and if we don't sign any multiyear deals between now and then, we would have something ridiculous like 50 million in cap space. We could offer both Durant and Westbrook max deals.

Like I said, if you want to talk crazy, we can go ahead and talk crazy.

mafra

Legend
Durant won't come to NYC for the reasons most modern players don't want to come to NY:

The Media Scrutiny
The WX
The Taxes
The Inconvienence Factor
(Play games in Manhattan, practice in Westchester County)

With all things equal, those aforementioned factors weigh heavily on the minds of these guys.

Just read online that we're likely to pursue Eric Gordon as an option to fill our void at SG. Scary thought to pair two of the most injury prone guards under the age of 30 in the same backcourt by adding Gordon to Rose. On top of that, Gordon made 15.5 million this last season, so who knows what price tag he is looking to get.

The idea of starting next season with a lineup featuring Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, and Joakim Noah, added to Melo and Porzingis, might look good on paper, but man, it has disaster written all over it from an injury standpoint.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Just read online that we're likely to pursue Eric Gordon as an option to fill our void at SG. Scary thought to pair two of the most injury prone guards under the age of 30 in the same backcourt by adding Gordon to Rose. On top of that, Gordon made 15.5 million this last season, so who knows what price tag he is looking to get.

The idea of starting next season with a lineup featuring Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, and Joakim Noah, added to Melo and Porzingis, might look good on paper, but man, it has disaster written all over it from an injury standpoint.

I agree! I'm not trying to be funny, but I didn't even know Gordon was still in the league! If its not a league minimum contract, then forget about it! I can't imagine he having any value, he needs to take a deal like Rondo did last year and hope that he can make a good impression, then get his money next year...again if Phil gets him for like a 5 million dollar deal to see what he has to offer, then I'd be cool with that.

tiger0330

Legend
I think it'll be about the money with Gordon. If he's willing to sign an AA type of deal for a chance to be a starter PJ might sign him but I don't think PJ is willing to give him anything close to his last deal.

? Eric Gordon: Once a budding star, Gordon has simply struggled to stay healthy. He?s also 27, but in his eight NBA seasons he has played in 78, 62, 56, 9, 42, 64, 61, and 45 games, respectively. Gordon peaked at 22 points per game on 45 percent shooting in 2010-11, but since then he has never averaged more than 17 points or shot better than 43 percent. He just isn?t the same player and can?t be trusted.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Call me crazy, but I'm not really against us bringing back Affalo. I think he makes a great 4th scoring option, plays hard on the defensive end, can give you 20 on any given night.

Rambis isn't the coach, but still on the bench as an assistant, so that could make for some awkward moments, but he could thrive due to defenses paying attention to Porzingas,Rose, and Melo.

tiger0330

Legend
Call me crazy, but I'm not really against us bringing back Affalo. I think he makes a great 4th scoring option, plays hard on the defensive end, can give you 20 on any given night.

Rambis isn't the coach, but still on the bench as an assistant, so that could make for some awkward moments, but he could thrive due to defenses paying attention to Porzingas,Rose, and Melo.
Would rather get Courtney Lee than AA. Just as good a shooter and a better defender.

New New York

Quiet Storm
He was solid for us, I don't get the hate he gets. He got pissed for getting benched for Sasha, can you blame him?

He was everything he was paid to be. 13pts 4rebs for a player making 8 million was resonable.

I'd pay him 18 million over 2 years for those same numbers.