2017 NBA Lottery Thread and Knicks Fan Prayer Circle

Of course the Celtics get the #1 pick. Of course they do. And of course the Lakers get the 2nd pick, of course they do.

For people wondering what the hell happened, the stupid Kings, who had the 8th worst record in the NBA this last season, moved up into the top 3 (pushing us to the 8th pick, the Twolves to the 7th pick, etc.) and then lost that pick in the swap with the Sixers.

So, for all the people who were wondering what the best thing for us to do down the stretch this last season, the right answer was to lose LESS games so that we had the 8th worst record (like the Kings) and not the 7th worst record.

Broadway

All Star
For people wondering what the hell happened, the stupid Kings, who had the 8th worst record in the NBA this last season, moved up into the top 3 (pushing us to the 8th pick, the Twolves to the 7th pick, etc.) and then lost that pick in the swap with the Sixers.

So, for all the people who were wondering what the best thing for us to do down the stretch this last season, the right answer was to lose LESS games so that we had the 8th worst record (like the Kings) and not the 7th worst record.

Wrong...we could have lost more games and solidified ourselves 4-6, since the difference was 3gms. I'm sure we can go back and easily find 3 loseable games down the stretch

Well they did have heavy odds, it's not like they went from 9th or 10th to 1st like Cleveland!

True, true, but I mean c'mon, Celtics get the #1 pick. Lakers get the #2 pick. The only team that moves up to the top 3 is the team just one place in record above us so we make sure and still get bumped down one spot from the #7 to the #8 pick. I mean c'mon, stats are stats, but someone with sway sure does love the Celtics and the Lakers and hates us.

Wrong...we could have lost more games and solidified ourselves 4-6, since the difference was 3gms. I'm sure we can go back and easily find 3 loseable games down the stretch

Nope, the team with the 8th worst record (the Kings) got the #3 pick. If we had gotten the 8th worst record instead of the 7th worst record, we'd have the #3 pick right now. That's how this stuff works right? I mean this is how this played out.

When all is said and done:

Celtics - hold serve and keep the #1 pick
Lakers - move up 1 and get the #2 pick
Kings - move up from 8th to 3rd, but lose that pick in the swap with the Sixers
Suns - get dumped from 2nd worst record to 4th pick (a la the Knicks from 2015)
Everyone else after that is by record (with the Kings getting the Sixers pick in the swap)

I know Lavar Ball is going to be making noise about the Celts not picking his son.

Nah, this is perfect for the NBA and for bigmouth Lavar Ball. The Celtics take Fultz. The Lakers get Ball. The Sixers get another star to make miserable and/or injured in the city of brotherly love.

Broadway

All Star
True, true, but I mean c'mon, Celtics get the #1 pick. Lakers get the #2 pick. The only team that moves up to the top 3 is the team just one place in record above us so we make sure and still get bumped down one spot from the #7 to the #8 pick. I mean c'mon, stats are stats, but someone with sway sure does love the Celtics and the Lakers and hates us.

PHX went from 2 to 4

Orlando went from 5 to 6

Wolves went from 6 to 7

So a few teams lost a little tonight, other than us

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I know Lavar Ball is going to be making noise about the Celts not picking his son.

Actually this couldn't have gone better for him tonight other than Lakers winning it all. He has said on multiple occasions his son will be wearing Purple and Gold. It all depends on what both teams do. I do not think the Celtics will pick select his son regardless.

Lakers otoh may just throw a wrench in the whole draft. Magic immediately made mention the pick could be moved "if we decide to keep it"

Last edited:
PHX went from 2 to 4

Orlando went from 5 to 6

Wolves went from 6 to 7

So a few teams lost a little tonight, other than us

Agreed. So we pick 8th. What's the worst that could happen, the future league MVP gets picked 7th right in front of our stupid noses and we pick a guy 8th who averages less than 8 points per game for his career? That hasn't happened since 2009.

Broadway

All Star
Nope, the team with the 8th worst record (the Kings) got the #3 pick. If we had gotten the 8th worst record instead of the 7th worst record, we'd have the #3 pick right now. That's how this stuff works right? I mean this is how this played out.

Well the lottery can/does work that way but in controlling our own destiny we needed to lose as much as possibly to buffer blow back. So it goes back to my reply post. The goal was to get as close to 5 as possible, the draft is probably 5 star deep for sure, with some possibles. Instead we were beating Miami/Bulls/Pacers/Detroit as if the math was going to be in our favor. Once again the difference between 4-8 was 3gms.

I would love to be Orlando right now instead of us or possibly had the tie breaker with Philly and possibly won it.

Broadway

All Star
Agreed. So we pick 8th. What's the worst that could happen, the future league MVP gets picked 7th right in front of our stupid noses and we pick a guy 8th who averages less than 8 points per game for his career? That hasn't happened since 2009.

lol, well yeah...obviously I'm being purposely hysterical hamming up tonight lowlights but we do have a shot to get a pretty decent player at 8.

tiger0330

Legend
[h=3]First round order[/h]1. Boston
2. L.A. Lakers
3. Philadelphia
4. Phoenix
5. Sacramento
6. Orlando
7. Minnesota
8. New York
9. Dallas
10. Sacramento
11. Charlotte
12. Detroit
13. Denver
14. Miami

tiger0330

Legend
Actually this couldn't have gone better for him tonight other than Lakers winning it all. He has said on multiple occasions his son will be wearing Purple and Gold. It all depends on what both teams do. I do not think the Celtics will pick select his son regardless.

Lakers otoh may just throw a wrench in the whole draft. Magic immediately made mention the picked could be moved "if we decide to keep it"
Hard to see Magic not picking a PG with size that can pass like he was.

mafra

Legend
You just can't make this stuff up, even if you tried, b/c it wouldn't be believable. Knicks rarely even have a first round pick.... and when they do.... and end up in lottery.... they can't even hold their position. First they lose a coin toss and then another team leaps them from behind.

Twice now NYK falls in the lottery. Meanwhile, LAK defy the odds and retain their protected picks 3 consecutive years. No way that's "on the level" right? Instead of losing pick altogether, they keep it and reload franchise with 3 lottery picks. Again, unbelievable.

Anyway.... it doesn't really matter. This isn't 2009.... this is a much deeper class.... Actually, this year's Curry fairytale (or Lilard).... a gem taken outside top 5.... could be Dennis Smith Jr.

Smith tore his ACL and missed his senior year (2015).... this was his first year back and he was good.... If healthy, who knows.... maybe he is number 1 pick.... the injury could be a blessing.

Anyway.... there are 8 to 10 worthy picks.... just stinks NYK can't chose who they want, but instead they sit and wait and scoop up whoever falls to them (and cross their fingers).

Goodbye Fultz and Fox.... Ball, Jax, Tatum are out of reach too.

So.... Smith, Monk, Isaac, French PG.... we either take 1 of these 4, or we reach for Justin Jax (UNC) or Phil trades pick entirely (which wouldn't surprise me).

Maybe BOS does top pick for Melo and 8th pick? Plz.

mafra

Legend

Knicks and Minny finished 31-51... SAC was 8th with a 32-50 record....
Then .Dallas finished 33-49.

So, had NYK won 1 more game they finish tied with sAC and we all know SAC still wins the lottery.... if they win 2 more games they are tied with Mavs....

They should've tanked and finish 4-6 so Fox was within reach. Now.... hope for Smith or that Frenchie is great.

Anyway.... there is no Lebron or Kyrie in this class. A no-doubter type.... there could be a HOF talent.... who knows. This class just has a bunch of good prospects with high ceiling....

I can't guarantee that Fultz or Ball will be better than Tatum or Fox.... Isaac might be the best and who knows about Frenchie.

NYK not stuck with Jordan Hill here.... Smith, Frenchie, Isaac are talented.... monk could be like Derozan (who went after we took Hill).

Last edited:

mafra

Legend

Lakers otoh may just throw a wrench in the whole draft. Magic immediately made mention the pick could be moved "if we decide to keep it"

NBA is smart.... Boston gets best player (Fultz), Ball stays in LA (like Lebron in CLE, Rose in CHI), and they continue to rebuild PHI. NYK is a money maker even if they suck.... so there is no need to assist this market.

Kiyaman

Legend
Hard to see Magic not picking a PG with size that can pass like he was.

So true .. Magic probably got the heads up on all the top PG in the draft .. plus coach Walton started putting D'Angelo Russell at the SG spot the end of the season. I'm looking for Magic to select the best passing n defending PG in the draft class.