45-37

41-41 is my best bet. Many players are gonna play hard cause their contracts expire. (Not only Dlee and N8) I believe that they will gel a bit more since they had a whole offfseason together. Darko and the rookie will provide some presence in the front court. Don't know if 41-41 will make them playoff worthy but I think they will improve this season. Paving the way to a good free agent spending summer in 2010.

I agree with you thats why i think this season might be rough too many players wanna showcase themselves because of expiring contracts i hope we do trade curry and Jefferies maybe for a bench warmer and 2 draft picks this year

dre48ny

Rotation player
I agree with you thats why i think this season might be rough too many players wanna showcase themselves because of expiring contracts i hope we do trade curry and Jefferies maybe for a bench warmer and 2 draft picks this year
yup, everyone will want the rock. Let's c how it plays out.

portega1968

El Cacique
the thread asked for legit reasons.. I posted 5 but no one cared to talk about them; only cared about gut predictions.

how about some real discussion people!!!

JayJ44

Starter
I believe they will post more than 40 wins, mainly because Gallo will be a nightmare for other teams and the environment has changed drastically from a year ago.

But, since you ask, to play devil's advocate, I can imagine the reasons thrown out there next April if we fail to make the playoffs:

1. Gallo injured or still needs more games to develop
2. too many young guys / lack of experience
3. No D in D'Antoni
4. selfish contract year players me first **** the team (Hughes/Harrington)
5. weak in the middle

So, Im hoping playoffs, but toning down my expectations

1. Injuries are always a concern. But Gallo's back issue seems to be a thing of the past. Scottie Pippen had the same surgery early in his career, and he turned out fine. As for him developing, that won't be a problem. Gallo played in a professional league overseas, and is NBA ready. Last year on a bad back, he played reasonably well (we were a .500 team with him on the floor).

2. Meh, they gained experience last season. I don't think lack of experience will hinder us enough to miss the playoffs.

3. That's really not true. Last season, we really only had 1 good defensive player (Chandler). What do you expect D'antoni to do with such crappy defensive players? This year we'll have a healthy Gallo (who is an above average defender), Chandler, Darko(big body that can block shots, which we really lacked last season), Duhon (who's solid defensively), Hughes (not what he once was, but still a capable defender), Toney Douglas (who is a lockdown defender on the perimeter). Our defense will be much better this year.

4. Hughes probably won't play much (hopefully). Harrington seems to have the right attitude in camp, saying how he intends to be more of a passer this year. These guys aren't stupid, they know winning games means much more than stats.

5. Darko, Hill, Lee, maybe Jeffries. Not great, not that bad though. If Darko can have a career year, we would be fine. If not, we're still better of than last year in that department.

dan1608

Benchwarmer
The team this year ...

Wilson Chandler will continue development, this year, he'll get more minutes in the small forward position. Gallinari will be able to score more as a shooting guard, but he's not exactly the ideal shooting guard. Him and Larry Hughes will be sharing the minutes. Al Harrington and Chris Duhon should give an effort similar to last year. Lee will continue to give consist double doubles.

Darko will contribute blocks and defense, two of the weakest points of the team. He will be the starting center, with Jeffries as a back up.

While, Eddy Curry will eat up the team's payroll and block any chance of a trade. Our recent draft picks have been dissapointing, but at least they bring defense to the team.

Our offense should be about the same as last year, the defense should improve, but we'll still be low ranked in that area.

Overall, I can only see around 40 wins, maybe one or two more.

portega1968

El Cacique
1. Injuries are always a concern. But Gallo's back issue seems to be a thing of the past. Scottie Pippen had the same surgery early in his career, and he turned out fine. As for him developing, that won't be a problem. Gallo played in a professional league overseas, and is NBA ready. Last year on a bad back, he played reasonably well (we were a .500 team with him on the floor).

2. Meh, they gained experience last season. I don't think lack of experience will hinder us enough to miss the playoffs.

3. That's really not true. Last season, we really only had 1 good defensive player (Chandler). What do you expect D'antoni to do with such crappy defensive players? This year we'll have a healthy Gallo (who is an above average defender), Chandler, Darko(big body that can block shots, which we really lacked last season), Duhon (who's solid defensively), Hughes (not what he once was, but still a capable defender), Toney Douglas (who is a lockdown defender on the perimeter). Our defense will be much better this year.

4. Hughes probably won't play much (hopefully). Harrington seems to have the right attitude in camp, saying how he intends to be more of a passer this year. These guys aren't stupid, they know winning games means much more than stats.

5. Darko, Hill, Lee, maybe Jeffries. Not great, not that bad though. If Darko can have a career year, we would be fine. If not, we're still better of than last year in that department.

kudos for sticking to the thread.

will be good to look back at this thread in February 2010.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Asking Knicks fans to be patient? It's hard to do.

The Knicks have gone 36 years without a championship, they're nine years removed from their last appearance in the second round, and the team is about as long as shots get at putting an end to this length of loserdom.

On top of that, Knicks fans have been faced with a series of executives, ownership groups and coaches that were, shall we say, lacking. Toss in the sheer size of the Knick fan base and a tri-state temper following that doesn't really take to the word "rebuilding" all that well, and you have a tough group to sell the following ideal to — the Knicks will stink, again, in 2009-10.

Then you have to tell them this:

S'OK, man. S'OK.

Because the team is properly rebuilding. It's trying it's damndest to get under the cap, acquire solid assets, build a real team. To build from the bottom up. But it's hard. Isiah Thomas salted the fields before he left, leaving the team with a ridiculous array of barely tradeable contracts, earned by players who flat out didn't deserve 1/10th or even 1/100th of what they made.

He traded draft picks. He traded cap flexibility. He wasted years of your life. Utah has your first round pick next year. Unprotected.

And this last offseason? Lots of bluster, and not a lot of action. Jason Kidd(notes) and Grant Hill(notes) came through town, no deals. David Lee(notes) and Nate Robinson(notes) wanted to stay around for a while, there was months of haggling and, in the end, they got one-year deals.

And that's ... OK.

It is. Because you didn't want Kidd or Hill. You might not even want D-Lee, who's terrific, around next year. Not even Nate, who really got it together last season. You want flexibility. You don't want another sustained commitment to mediocrity. At best. That's not me calling Lee or even Nate "mediocre;" Lee might be on his way to an All-Star appearance this season. You just have to prefer to keep your options open at this point.

And right now, with the East improving and not much coming New York's way save for a bit of internal development, Darko Milicic (great trade, seriously) and Jordan Hill, I can't say with any confidence that New York can even sustain last year's run toward 32 wins.

They can sustain the fun, though. Last year's team was a blast to watch. Cold comfort, but it was. And you can sustain the attitude, the attitude that tells you to be humble, that a team like the Knicks is no different than any of the other 30 teams once you factor in revenue sharing, salary caps and luxury taxes. And you can sustain the idea that, even if you don't give a rip about shelling out money hand over fist, you better do it to the right players, hired by the right executives, coached by the right coach.

Donnie Walsh is the right executive for this team. Mike D'Antoni's the right coach. And soon enough, they'll have the right players. Or, at least, they'll have a chance at them. And it's just not worth commenting on any of these players because they won't be Knicks in 12 months time. Danilo Gallinari(notes) will be, and he looks like a stud. Jordan Hill looks solid, for a thin draft at least. Others might come back, but if Knicks fans have any say, they'll be role players. Even the ones who are brilliant, like Lee. Or explosive, like Robinson.

So take in one more year of nonsense. It might not net you LeBron or Bosh or Wade or even Carlos Boozer(notes).

But whatever happens, another year of taking blows will lead you toward respectability. And though New York's record won't be respectable this season, you can respect where they're going. Even if they step back in 2009-10.

Prediction: 30-52

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=AstdXPfANUh4fMhzMElote.8vLYF?urn=nba,194432

It will be hilarious to open this thread again by the end of the season. I just hope the people on here with ridiculous expectations aren't also the ones calling for D'Antoni and Donnie to be fired because we didn't make the playoffs.

Back to reality people...we're still probably the 3rd worst team in the east.

Question. Of the teams that made the playoffs last year, which one doesn't make it this year to allow us to get in?

And are we really better than Washington, Toronto, Charlotte and New Jersey?

JayJ44

Starter
It will be hilarious to open this thread again by the end of the season. I just hope the people on here with ridiculous expectations aren't also the ones calling for D'Antoni and Donnie to be fired because we didn't make the playoffs.

Back to reality people...we're still probably the 3rd worst team in the east.

Question. Of the teams that made the playoffs last year, which one doesn't make it this year to allow us to get in?

And are we really better than Washington, Toronto, Charlotte and New Jersey?

I've said it before, how can anyone logically justify us being worse this year? We added servicable defensive-minded bigs, a great defensive-minded backup PG in Douglas, we'll have a full year without major trades, another year under D'antoni, and we'll have a healthy Gallo.

Philly and Detroit won't make the playoffs. Philly lost Andre Miller, who was arguably their most important player. He was the engine of that team, they're gonna really miss him. Detroit lost their best defender (Sheed) and added 2 one-dimensional scorers that bring nothing new to the table.

Washington, if healthy, no. Charlotte, Toronto, and New Jersey; yes.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I've said it before, how can anyone logically justify us being worse this year? We added servicable defensive-minded bigs, a great defensive-minded backup PG in Douglas, we'll have a full year without major trades, another year under D'antoni, and we'll have a healthy Gallo.

Philly and Detroit won't make the playoffs. Philly lost Andre Miller, who was arguably their most important player. He was the engine of that team, they're gonna really miss him. Detroit lost their best defender (Sheed) and added 2 one-dimensional scorers that bring nothing new to the table.

Washington, if healthy, no. Charlotte, Toronto, and New Jersey; yes.

Toronto is wayy better then us man, they have a stacked roster now...
C- Bargnani better then Darko
PF- Bosh better then Lee
SF- Turkoglu better then Chandler
SG- Derozan meh.
PG- Calderon better than Duhon

With Bellinelli, Jack, and Evans on the bench.
Our bench is better, however, with Gallo and Nate. But overall if healthy, they do have a better roster then us...Good enough for 2nd in our division.

JayJ44

Starter
Toronto is wayy better then us man, they have a stacked roster now...
C- Bargnani better then Darko
PF- Bosh better then Lee
SF- Turkoglu better then Chandler
SG- Derozan meh.
PG- Calderon better than Duhon

With Bellinelli, Jack, and Evans on the bench.
Our bench is better, however, with Gallo and Nate. But overall if healthy, they do have a better roster then us...Good enough for 2nd in our division.

That's not really a good way to compare teams. Just because they have more individual talent, doesn't mean they will have the better record. As Knicks fans, we should know this well.

They didn't get much better from last season. Their main weakness was defense and rebounding. The only possble improvement in that area is Reggie Evans, I don't think that's gonna cut it. Bosh already got injured (not seriously tho), I believe it's the same problem he had last year, his knee. Turkoglu doesn't really bring anything they needed. They had/have perimeter shooting, they had/have a great PG in Calderon. Our defense will most likely be better than theirs, and our offense will be similar. We have a far better coach, and we have more chemistry since the Raptors pretty much have a completely new team. I don't really see any reason to assume the Raptors are significantly better than us.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
That's not really a good way to compare teams. Just because they have more individual talent, doesn't mean they will have the better record. As Knicks fans, we should know this well.

They didn't get much better from last season. Their main weakness was defense and rebounding. The only possble improvement in that area is Reggie Evans, I don't think that's gonna cut it. Bosh already got injured (not seriously tho), I believe it's the same problem he had last year, his knee. Turkoglu doesn't really bring anything they needed. They had/have perimeter shooting, they had/have a great PG in Calderon. Our defense will most likely be better than theirs, and our offense will be similar. We have a far better coach, and we have more chemistry since the Raptors pretty much have a completely new team. I don't really see any reason to assume the Raptors are significantly better than us.

They did get a lot better. The JO Trade went down the toilet, and Marion posted iight numbers.

Calderon played 68 games last year, meaning he missed 14 games. Who played the majority of those 14 games? Some scrub named Roko Ukic. 4 points, one assist, 38% shooting. Jarrett Jack played very well last year alongside TJ Ford, as Jack averaged 46% FG and 35% 3Point, including a buzzerbeater against, us. Very big upgrade there.

Anthony Parker was alright, but you knew you were going to always get 10 points from him, not much more, not much less. Turk provides a solid go-to guy, and improves their offense.

Assuming Bosh plays the exact same he does the past 3 years, he will be a 22/9 Player with 1 block and almost 1 steal a game.

Plus they traded Jason Kapono for Evans. Improvement of defense and rebounding. Plus Bargs looks as he will finally be consistent.

All of this provides insurance, and a better bench.

Plus i did compare starters, but all of this overall shows they are a better team than us. If they get injured it won't be as bad as it was last year.

I do think you were right about chemistry and coaching, however, but I still think theyre better.

JayJ44

Starter
They did get a lot better. The JO Trade went down the toilet, and Marion posted iight numbers.

Calderon played 68 games last year, meaning he missed 14 games. Who played the majority of those 14 games? Some scrub named Roko Ukic. 4 points, one assist, 38% shooting. Jarrett Jack played very well last year alongside TJ Ford, as Jack averaged 46% FG and 35% 3Point, including a buzzerbeater against, us. Very big upgrade there.

Anthony Parker was alright, but you knew you were going to always get 10 points from him, not much more, not much less. Turk provides a solid go-to guy, and improves their offense.

Assuming Bosh plays the exact same he does the past 3 years, he will be a 22/9 Player with 1 block and almost 1 steal a game.

Plus they traded Jason Kapono for Evans. Improvement of defense and rebounding. Plus Bargs looks as he will finally be consistent.

All of this provides insurance, and a better bench.

Plus i did compare starters, but all of this overall shows they are a better team than us. If they get injured it won't be as bad as it was last year.

I do think you were right about chemistry and coaching, however, but I still think theyre better.

Alright, they have more depth than last season. Is that really a big deal? I mean, is Jarret Jack, Reggie Evans and Marco Bellinelli gonna provide for many more wins? I personally don't think so. We had a great bench last year, we still only won 32 games.

You're right, Hedo does provide a go-to scorer. But once again, did they really have a huge need for that? They have Bosh, Calderon (who can create shots for others), and even Bargnani could provide scoring in late-game situations.

The reason the Raptors lost so many games last year, was their lack of defense and rebounding. They did nothing to help this, except add Evans, who is just a marginal role player. Honestly, we'll probably be the better defensive team. We have Chandler, Darko, Hill, Douglas, Gallo, Hughes, Duhon: all are very capable defenders. Who on the Raptors besides Evans plays good defense? No one really. Bosh tries, but he's weak and not a great one-on-one defender.

IMO, Knicks>Raptors. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
So you mean to say that the Knicks are better than:
1)Cleveland
2)Boston
3)Orlando
4)Atlanta
5)Miami
6)Washinton
7)Chicago
8)Philadephia
9)Toronto
10)Detroit

There is no way we win 45 games this year! Washington way got better and have a deep lineup of Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Mike Miller, Haywood, Foye. Detroit picked up Villanueva and Gordon to play with Prince and Hamilton. The Sixers are solid and the Bulls go a superstar in the making in Rose. These are bottom of the conference potential teams that Knicks will have trouble with. Keep in mind that Charlotte added Chandler and Indiana has all star Granger to go with a team that plays so hard each game out and has also won more games than the Knicks the last two seasons.

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
what are you on???LOL:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:.. are you serious??? Anyteam with curry on it wether hes in the game or not there loosing...I love the knicks but we really need some real change,,how about a new owner with common sense..Pat ewing is not working with the knicks for a reason, because donnie is a old fart who knows not a thing about basketball,he would have been a good person to have in the organization to help develop young players,probably wwould have had achance to help his son's game and actually give people a reason to wanna pay 80 buks for shitty seats to watch a team of well paid athletes to play like doo doo.. I'm all for keeping Gallo,Lee,chandler,nate, but curry,jefferies,duhon,hughes and some of others has to go.. As far as your record guess, i'll go with 37-45 instead

the knicks will go 30-52....why, because there's no point in trying when they cant even make the playoffs in the east, but with a bad enough record we can get a top 3 pick to further intice some quality players

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
This is worthless but I am killing time until my first class comes...
I would love 45-37, I just went through every game on the schedule and I am going to guess 39-43. Just a complete guess because there are teams I assumed we'd do well against that may surprise and be strong, and teams I expect to be strong that may have a down year, plus on any given night...

Just saying, 39-43 for me. Also to the guy that said we can get a top 3 pick, think again, Utah owns our first rounder, thanks again Isiah. And Knicks 1183, we'd move Curry and others if it was so easy, and people have been saying for a long time that owner Dolan is part of the problem... do you have the cash to make him a legitimite offer? Otherwise learn to deal with ownership because it's not likely to change.

dan1608

Benchwarmer
.Pat ewing is not working with the knicks for a reason, because donnie is a old fart who knows not a thing about basketball,he would have been a good person to have in the organization to help develop young players,probably wwould have had achance to help his son's game and actually give people a reason to wanna pay 80 buks for shitty seats to watch a team of well paid athletes to play like doo doo.. I'm all for keeping Gallo,Lee,chandler,nate, but curry,jefferies,duhon,hughes and some of others has to go.. As far as your record guess, i'll go with 37-45 instead

Ewing has hired by the Magic, when Thomas was our GM, Walsh had nothing do with it. Its too late to get him now. Ewing has become dedicated to working with Dwight Howard, who credits Ewing for improving his game. He is focused on producing a championship in Orlando during his tenure and will not leave now.

We could still sign Charles Oakley as an assistant coach, because he's expressed a desire to have a role as coach or an assistant coach.

But, you're perspective of Donnie is way wrong. We have the most cap space in the NBA. Donnie history with the Pacers has been filled with success. In the 1987 draft, Walsh was pressured to select hometown hero John Alford. He didn't, instead he chose Reggie Miller as the 11th pick, he went under fire from Pacers fans. Reggie became the best 3 point shooter of all time and went on to become the franchise player and one of the best players of 1990's. He average above 20 ppg and scored 25 points in the most famous 4th quarter against the Knicks. Alford flopped big time in the NBA. Miller became a force in the NBA.

The point is Walsh has good judgement and knows what hes doing. He is trustworthy and is doing whatever possible to get the franchise back on track. He's only been with the organization for a year and is cleaning up Isiah's mistakes.

Walsh has done a good job so far. The team will improve further this year. Walsh knows how to bring a team to the playoffs, he did 13 times with the Pacers, winning 3 Division titles and a Conference final.