And the Knicks break the 6 game slide; only to beat a top contending Orlando team

smokes

Huge Member
That's a question that could be asked about plenty of players on this team including Amar'e. There aren't many Kobe's, D Wade's or Dwight Howard's in the NBA that can bring it on both ends consistently every night. What I do hope for is to see Melo bringing this level defense in the playoffs, that's when it will matter most. I saw him play that way vs. Kobe in the WCF, I'm gonna say he can do it again vs. Lebron or Pierce in the 1st round this year.

Maybe getting those bj's from La La is the secret, who knows. :thumbsup:

Boston lost tonight and Miami have a chance to solidify a 2nd seed further with a win over Cleveland tomorrow. Miami in the first round... My preferred matchup!

Good points STAT1. Melo has the defensive ability to lock down as one of the top 5 defensive SF's around because we've all seen him do it before during the playoffs. There is no doubt in my mind, that once the playoffs roll around, not only will Melo & Amare bring their defensive lunch bags ready for a war but the team will also do the same.

And LaLa better not go down on Melo during the playoffs. Woman....Weaken...Legs.

STAT1

Starter
Boston lost tonight and Miami have a chance to solidify a 2nd seed further with a win over Cleveland tomorrow. Miami in the first round... My preferred matchup!

I would love to see a Knicks-Heat series that would be the most entertaining series by far of any that will be going on in the NBA. So many backstories as well as the history that exists between these 2 teams. I bet that series would get the best ratings by far of any of the other playoff matchups.

smokes

Huge Member
I would love to see a Knicks-Heat series that would be the most entertaining series by far of any that will be going on in the NBA. So many backstories as well as the history that exists between these 2 teams. I bet that series would get the best ratings by far of any of the other playoff matchups.

Yeah for sure and at least if the first game is close one way or the other the series will be set up for some intense games when both sets of fans and players truly believing they can win.

I still think we can beat the Heat. We are so similar to them now... They at least have a big man rotation but they all suck... And they have Wade who will be the X factor but their bench stinks even more than ours (which is quite difficult considering).

STAT1

Starter
Yeah for sure and at least if the first game is close one way or the other the series will be set up for some intense games when both sets of fans and players truly believing they can win.

I still think we can beat the Heat. We are so similar to them now... They at least have a big man rotation but they all suck... And they have Wade who will be the X factor but their bench stinks even more than ours (which is quite difficult considering).

Melo dominates Lebron in head to head matchups over their career in terms of wins & losses. I wouldn't put it past the Knicks to beat the Heat in a 1st round upset, you know this team will get up to play those guys.

I'm not saying that we'll beat Mia during the 1st or any other round but we do matchup pretty well against them.

Carmelo & Amare vs LeBron & Bosh @ the SF & PF positions. Great Foward mathchups right there.

Wade has the huge advantage over our rookie in Fields. He becomes their X-Factor.

But then again... Once Billups gets back on track; our PG duo of Billups & Douglas will become a huge NY advantage @ the PG position over Bibby/Chalmers.

We both lack solid big men @ the Center position so in my eyes, that battle or lack there of becomes an even wash. Big Z becomes a huge problem on defense for them though, especially when the Knicks are off to the races.

Our bench isn't great or even very good but our bench is alot deeper than MIA's so thats another NY advantage.

Could make for a great series. We always had strong playoff rivalries against MIA & usually came out on top but my true playoff rivalries were against Phil Jackson, MJ, Pippen & the Bulls & Reggie, Smitz, Jackson & INDY!

Lets beat MIA & CHI!

STAT1

Starter
I agree Billups is going to be a key factor if he gets his game back then he could be huge for us in the playoffs. If he doesn't then we could fizzle out just like we did when the Nets embarassed us in a 4 game sweep the last time we reached the postseason. I think the worst matchup for us are the Celtics I don't think there's any way we could beat them in a 4 game series. The Magic are a bad matchup too especially with a healthy Jameer. The Bulls I think are beatable for us but we do struggle vs. quick PG's that can break down the defense. The Heat are probably the best matchup for the Knicks overall I'd say among the top 4 teams.

smokes

Huge Member
I'm not saying that we'll beat Mia during the 1st or any other round but we do matchup pretty well against them.

Carmelo & Amare vs LeBron & Bosh @ the SF & PF positions. Great Foward mathchups right there.

Wade has the huge advantage over our rookie in Fields. He becomes their X-Factor.

But then again... Once Billups gets back on track; our PG duo of Billups & Douglas will become a huge NY advantage @ the PG position over Bibby/Chalmers.

We both lack solid big men @ the Center position so in my eyes, that battle or lack there of becomes an even wash. Big Z becomes a huge problem on defense for them though, especially when the Knicks are off to the races.

Our bench isn't great or even very good but our bench is alot deeper than MIA's so thats another NY advantage.

Could make for a great series. We always had strong playoff rivalries against MIA & usually came out on top but my true playoff rivalries were against Phil Jackson, MJ, Pippen & the Bulls & Reggie, Smitz, Jackson & INDY!

Lets beat MIA & CHI!

I'm really torn about the PG matchup...

Chauncey on form should be better than Bibby but, he is a veteran too and he has lead some great playoff teams. He could really fall into place with 3 superstars around him since he was a late arrival he doesn't fit in quite yet.

Douglas vs Chalmers... Hmm.. Chalmers has a lot more NBA minutes than Douglas I think, he was starting for quite a while. His defense is also really good. He can shoot the 3. He's inconsistent. We see a lot more of Douglas but really they seem very very similar. He also won the NCAA championship game against soon-to-be MVP Derrick Rose so he has some serious game buried inside him.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;171081 said:
Concurred! It's the first night that I've really got behind him since the Miami win. Breen can't go unquoted here: "Why not every night?" - after Melo's rapey D on Richardson in the 4th as the shot clock dwindled.

It's a point.

Melo has got some serious D when the switch comes on.

A well earned BJ from La La tonight.

Def; Richardson prolly went straight for a rape kit after the game.

"Why not every night?"

I'd say it was tonight bc our offense had better flow and cohesion. And the emotional and psychological alchemy this had on the players/Melo.

Chauncey Billups -- '...most of D is effort'

Guys who can play good D, but don't -- a lot of the league -- get the flip switched through usually emotional reasons, or things beyond "hey 20M/yr man, look at this new clipboard and see how awesome these defensive schemes are". Maybe if theyre exceptionally good schemes, unusually intuitive, and mesh with the players' bread n butter (offense).

But the tenuous line between greatness and 1dimensional bedlam is a fine one. A respected defensive brute added to the mix...a change of scenery....being happy....the right neurons flowing in the right direction.

The problem is irrationale, the cure itself will be rooted equally so.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Def; Richardson prolly went straight for a rape kit after the game.

"Why not every night?"

I'd say it was tonight bc our offense had better flow and cohesion. And the emotional and psychological alchemy this had on the players/Melo.

Chauncey Billups -- '...most of D is effort'

Guys who can play good D, but don't -- a lot of the league -- get the flip switched through usually emotional reasons, or things beyond "hey 20M/yr man, look at this new clipboard and see how awesome these defensive schemes are". Maybe if theyre exceptionally good schemes, unusually intuitive, and mesh with the players' bread n butter (offense).

But the tenuous line between greatness and 1dimensional bedlam is a fine one. A respected defensive brute added to the mix...a change of scenery....being happy....the right neurons flowing in the right direction.

The problem is irrationale, the cure itself will be rooted equally so.

Great post!

If I could give you more rep I would.

Strong points in regards to the PG matchups with Billups & Douglas vs Bibby & Chalmers.

As far as the two veteran's in Billups & Bibby are concerned? I can only go off what I've seen over the years. Your 100% correct that Bibby led some great teams, especially the teams of the SAC King days. He's always been an athletic talent, great ball movement-passing ability type of PG who could always drain the momentum 3. But with Billups? I've always seen a real Kidd/Nash type of floor general out there. Something like a Peyton Manning of the NFL in terms of never letting up. Always reminded me of a real 1990's type of playoff warrior. He's a champion, former Finals MVP & plays like a bull who spots red during clutch situations; he's a killer under pressure.

With Chalmers? I can only go off of what I've seen this season. He's been less than impressive. Struggles to put up 4-5 assists with 3 offensive stars & runs a nervious/shaky/sloppy half court. I TRUST Billups controlling a half court set come playoff time.

smokes

Huge Member
Miami is a good matchup, but I really want Boston in the firt roumd. The series would be the most exciting.

I don't know why I just rate our chances higher against Miami than Boston. However I haven't seen Boston since they traded Perkins for Green.

I suppose a Boston without Perkins isn't as scary.

iSaYughh

Starter
Miami is a good matchup, but I really want Boston in the firt roumd. The series would be the most exciting.

Same. I really want BOS first.

I ultimately want us to play MIA and have a shot at Lebron, in what would be...i think...the most sensational, ironic, epic playoff upset ever.

But if we could go thru BOS first, perfect. I think we have most legitimate shot at slaying them in the 1st round, too, and getting a scalp under our belt...

MIA can, and may well, steamroll to some degree. I feel we are a solidification in our defensive (and offensive) schemes and flow...from being able to go toe to toe w The Cripples.

iSaYughh

Starter
I don't know why I just rate our chances higher against Miami than Boston. However I haven't seen Boston since they traded Perkins for Green.

I suppose a Boston without Perkins isn't as scary.

Not as scary, especially for our match ups.

Rondo has been playing like ass, too...

The only way I'll wanna see the Celtics is during the 3rd round of the Eastern Conf Finals & hopefully a team like the Hawks of a couple years back could push Boston to a game 6 or 7 during the 1st two rounds.

The only way I want BOSTON is during the playoffs will be during a 3rd round where aging players such as Allen, KG & Garnett could possibly get ran out of the playoffs by MDA & a much younger Knicks team.

The Knicks aren't the only lower-tier team that could shock. I really feel the Hawks could upset the Magic during the 1st. The 76ers are another team thats playing hot & once the playoffs come around? I wouldn't be shocked if they were to UPSET the Bulls or Heat.

But yeah... I want the Celtics far away from the 1st round as a fresh team ready to run & hustle. I'd rather other teams go to war against Boston during the first two rounds before even thinking about standing a chance vs that veteran franchise & team.

STAT1

Starter
The only way I'll wanna see the Celtics is during the 3rd round of the Eastern Conf Finals & hopefully a team like the Hawks of a couple years back could push Boston to a game 6 or 7 during the 1st two rounds.

The only way I want BOSTON is during the playoffs will be during a 3rd round where aging players such as Allen, KG & Garnett could possibly get ran out of the playoffs by MDA & a much younger Knicks team.

The Knicks aren't the only lower-tier team that could shock. I really feel the Hawks could upset the Magic during the 1st. The 76ers are another team thats playing hot & once the playoffs come around? I wouldn't be shocked if they were to UPSET the Bulls or Heat.

But yeah... I want the Celtics far away from the 1st round as a fresh team ready to run & hustle. I'd rather other teams go to war against Boston during the first two rounds before even thinking about standing a chance vs that veteran franchise & team.

Agreed, the best time to play an older team like the Celtics would be later on in the postseason not in the 1st round. Hopefully by then they'd have been through some tough series already so they'll be worn out. Of course that also means we could be the same but you would hope your younger superstars will be able to carry you in the playoffs that's what they're here for afterall. A team like Boston will never go down easy their experience & defense makes up for their lack of youthful legs on most nights & Pierce & Allen are still deadly killers in the clutch.

smokes

Huge Member

The thing is dude, these guys are conditioned to play a full season + playoffs and they have gone deep every year playing more playoff games than most other teams.

Apart from the fact that them being so old and brittle boned might lead to an injury prior to round 3 I don't see it being too much of a difference. The playoff schedule is not too different from the regular season with frequency of games, and when you take teams out in less than 7 games you get some rest.

All I know is I'm not too keen on facing the Bulls at all and I really hope they get KO'd if we miracle our way into the ECF.

Wargames

Starter
I agree Billups is going to be a key factor if he gets his game back then he could be huge for us in the playoffs. If he doesn't then we could fizzle out just like we did when the Nets embarassed us in a 4 game sweep the last time we reached the postseason. I think the worst matchup for us are the Celtics I don't think there's any way we could beat them in a 4 game series. The Magic are a bad matchup too especially with a healthy Jameer. The Bulls I think are beatable for us but we do struggle vs. quick PG's that can break down the defense. The Heat are probably the best matchup for the Knicks overall I'd say among the top 4 teams.

I agree with you 100%

Honestly... I'm not a fan of playing either the Celtics, Bulls, Heat or even Magic during the 1st round. Thats why it would have been great to get the top 3 seeds to face teams like the 76ers or Hawks. The sad thing is, with this team as a work in progress both the Hawks & 76ers could give us a real fight. Lets just hope next year we get one of the lower tier playoff teams during the 1st round & have home court advantage during the 2nd round.

One thing is for sure (in my mind), the last team I wanna see is Boston. The Bulls are an up an coming team & a future power-house franchise out of the East for years to come but the Celtics are a championship team full of veteran leaders. Rose is MVP type of dangerious but I fear Rondo more, for the simple fact... Rondo has KG, Pierce & a deadly Allen who changes the momentum from the 3 point line. I want nothing to do with a focused Rondo, Pierce, KG, Allen & playoff experienced Doc Rivers (both as a player & now coach). The Bulls do have bruisers in Noah & Booze but