Danilo Gallinari

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Danilo Gallinari may not be a bust, but he's clearly injury prone. For you to be out for over 7 months from bumping into another player, something has to be wrong. In my opinion, Gallinari is not that good of a player. Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh probably found that out, once they started seeing him play in training camp. When they found out he wasn't going to live up to the hype, they decided to "extend" his injury so that the media won't attack them for drafting him over Brook Lopez, DJ Augustin and Jarryd Bayless.

Just remember that Isiah Thomas, aka the guy who picked Frye over Bynum and Jones over Prince, was the guy who recommended the Knicks to choose Danilo Gallinari.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-Gallinari.php

"Walsh said he got a strong recommendation from former coach Isiah Thomas after a European scouting trip, citing Gallinari's poise in crunch time at such a young age."

Danilo Gallinari may not be a bust, but he's clearly injury prone. For you to be out for over 7 months from bumping into another player, something has to be wrong. In my opinion, Gallinari is not that good of a player. Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh probably found that out, once they started seeing him play in training camp. When they found out he wasn't going to live up to the hype, they decided to "extend" his injury so that the media won't attack them for drafting him over Brook Lopez, DJ Augustin and Jarryd Bayless.

Just remember that Isiah Thomas, aka the guy who picked Frye over Bynum and Jones over Prince, was the guy who recommended the Knicks to choose Danilo Gallinari.

"Walsh said he got a strong recommendation from former coach Isiah Thomas after a European scouting trip, citing Gallinari's poise in crunch time at such a young age."

Zeke still taking our $$$ and screwing up the Knicks....... we just can't see him doing it now!

JayJ44

Starter

How can you call him injury prone when he's only had 1 injury? He fell, and landed on his back wrong. It was bad luck. How did you form your opinion of Gallinari? Grainy youtube videos or that 1 summer league game? Gallinari has a lot of talent to be a terrific player. He's 6'10 with handles, passing, court vision, and he's a knockdown shooter. Your theory about them extending his injury is ridiculous, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that. Isiah also drafted Lee and Chandler, so his scouting ability isn't completely horrible. Just because Isiah recommended him, doesn't mean he is terrible.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
How can you call him injury prone when he's only had 1 injury? He fell, and landed on his back wrong. It was bad luck. How did you form your opinion of Gallinari? Grainy youtube videos or that 1 summer league game? Gallinari has a lot of talent to be a terrific player. He's 6'10 with handles, passing, court vision, and he's a knockdown shooter. Your theory about them extending his injury is ridiculous, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that. Isiah also drafted Lee and Chandler, so his scouting ability isn't completely horrible. Just because Isiah recommended him, doesn't mean he is terrible.
You actually believe that Gallinari is still injured? How many NBA players you know have been out for 7 months from falling down and getting right back up(which was what Gallinari did in the Summer League game). And after they get up, received treatment on their back and was sitting down like nothing happened. I believe he really did get hurt in the Summer League game, but I think he's fully recovered by now. It makes no sense for a player to be out for almost a year from falling down. I would have understood if he needed surgery, or if he injured a bone, or something, but he has a sore back. Chris Duhon is playing with a sore back, in case you didn't know.

Gallinari was also said to not play defense and to be a poor rebounder. So you can't assume he's going to be great, just because they say he can shoot.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer

Let s wait and see a lil bit before we say he s injury prone. He s only 20 years old so is not like he s Arenas or some others. As for him bumping into some players and get injured, that was not a bump was a charge, I have to say that there are not too many players that can take a charge from Tractor Trailer 280 pounds frame and be well and sound after that. Especially a 19-20 years old.

As much as I hate Isaiah one thing he did good was draft picks. Frye may never be a star but he can be a solid nba player. He even led ROY before getting injured. Other picks include Lee at #30 Chandler at # 23 Nate at #21 and even a risky Balkman at # 20. And although he picked frye over bynum I dont know why you talking about prince. Prince was the 23 pick by the pistons and isaiah was with indiana at that time.

On the other note many teams passed kobe at 13 or arenas or boozer in the second round just to give couple examples so slow down.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Danilo Gallinari's scouting report

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/danilo-gallinari

Strengths: Long and crafty player who has a knack for scoring Has become a very consistent shooter and can light it up from deep He is able to make shots in a variety of ways: contested, off the dribble (both ways), stepbacks, fadeaways Put together an impressive season in one of the top European leagues and has shown that he can carry the load as the primary scorer Is very mature for his age, plays with great confidence and composure Has an awkward 2 step (he is able to alter his speed and change direction once he picks up his dribble) going to the basket, allowing him to get by people and finish around the basket Shows patience when making moves, getting his defender off balance with a variety of fakes and jabs Knows how to draw contact and sell the foul to the refs When a defender cuts off his angle to the basket, he has a very effective up & under that he utilizes even out to 15 feet Anticipates well and uses his length to disrupt the passing lanes Has developed a scorers mentality, but there are obvious glimpses where he shows a good feel for the game and ability to find open teammates

Weaknesses: A high level European player does not always equal a contributor in the NBA His body has ways to go before it will be on the NBA level Athleticism and explosiveness are just average Struggles dribbling the ball against physical defenders which hurts even more considering his blow by ability is limited His secondary moves off the dribble are subpar and he is often forced to shoot difficult and offbalance shots Tends to dribble the ball high and even looks down on it as he is attacking, hurting his court vision and decision making Has minimal elevation on his jumpshot, he is more of a set shooter and his release is very robotic and lacks fluidness His legs are stiff which makes his movements seem a bit awkward and it takes away from his quickness While he has good height, he is strictly a perimeter player as he has minimal back to the basket moves and his weak frame also makes him a non threat in the post His rebounding numbers are only decent, for a player at his position, getting major minutes, they should be higher Defensively he is a liability; he gambles too much, plays with his hands down and is undisciplined Marginal foot speed and a weak body will leave his opponents salivating in excitement to abuse the mismatch

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Let s wait and see a lil bit before we say he s injury prone. He s only 20 years old so is not like he s Arenas or some others. As for him bumping into some players and get injured, that was not a bump was a charge, I have to say that there are not too many players that can take a charge from Tractor Trailer 280 pounds frame and be well and sound after that. Especially a 19-20 years old.

As much as I hate Isaiah one thing he did good was draft picks. Frye may never be a star but he can be a solid nba player. He even led ROY before getting injured. Other picks include Lee at #30 Chandler at # 23 Nate at #21 and even a risky Balkman at # 20. And although he picked frye over bynum I dont know why you talking about prince. Prince was the 23 pick by the pistons and isaiah was with indiana at that time.

On the other note many teams passed kobe at 13 or arenas or boozer in the second round just to give couple examples so slow down.
I agree. It's too early to judge Gallinari. I just don't believe he's not ready to play, when Quentin Richardson and Chris Duhon have both played through back injuries. Granted Quentin Richardson sucks, but he's played through injuries. And Chris Duhon has played well though his injuries.

JayJ44

Starter
You actually believe that Gallinari is still injured? How many NBA players you know have been out for 7 months from falling down and getting right back up(which was what Gallinari did in the Summer League game). And after they get up, received treatment on their back and was sitting down like nothing happened. I believe he really did get hurt in the Summer League game, but I think he's fully recovered by now. It makes no sense for a player to be out for almost a year from falling down. I would have understood if he needed surgery, or if he injured a bone, or something, but he has a sore back. Chris Duhon is playing with a sore back, in case you didn't know.

Gallinari was also said to not play defense and to be a poor rebounder. So you can't assume he's going to be great, just because they say he can shoot.

It makes sense for a young kid to rest his back for awhile, to be safe. We don't want this to be a recurring problem. And it isn't just a sore back, it was something with the discs in his back. Something like that requires a lot of rest, so why rush him into it? It makes perfect sense for him not play and rest, so he can stay healthy.

Many European players aren't great defensive players at first. He's still very young, so he can learn how to play defense. Rebounding is also something that will come with age. As he gets older and stronger, his rebounding will improve. He's never gonna be Dwight Howard or Tim Duncan, but there's no reason to belive that he won't improve in those areas.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
It's so hard to say who's going to be a good defender, based on guy's play in Europe. Defence is so much different over there. Lower body strength doesnt reflect in post defence so much, since they are using hands to create space so much more than here.
Lets wait and see. Sure he will have to put lots of effort to develop physically in the next few years.

I'm not a physician, but just using common sense, Im not surprised to see back problems - if u are used to push guys around with hands and havent developed lower body much, it may be easy to strain your back in nba, right?

Last edited:

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I agree. It's too early to judge Gallinari. I just don't believe he's not ready to play, when Quentin Richardson and Chris Duhon have both played through back injuries. Granted Quentin Richardson sucks, but he's played through injuries. And Chris Duhon has played well though his injuries.

Good logic now abcd when you say he s not ready to play. Better than saying he s injury prone. Same like Frye he s TOO THIN, so let him get get some muscle and build a better NBA frame so he does not end up like FRYE after his injury.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
should be practicing by late Jan. if he remains at his current pace and playing by mid-Feb

seeing how our season is taking a turn for the worst play the young guys more often...

Scribbles

Rotation player
DUD

I still think we could've traded up for OJ.

Considering who we've shipped out this season...for Tim Thomas?

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
yea as of right now the kid has been a mistake pick. until he proves himself

where is the pacers game thread btw

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Well, I'll stay in Gallo's boat unless he proves he's a mistake :p

Tbh, looking at performances right now, the only guy i wouldnt mind seeing here instead of Gallo is Brook Lopez. But i wasnt high on him before the draft tbh. Right now though, Brook looks like a great big guy for our system - nice range to stretch the floor, doesnt mind banging inside, active on D

But calling Gallo a mistake after one injury is a stretch.
I mean, there havent been a lot of big guys who rocked in Euroleague at 18-19 years. It's a very physical, veteran league.
The list of big guys so successful in Euroleague at that age is really short - Pau Gasol, Andrej Kirilenko, Tiaggo Splitter, Marc Gasol and Gallo. That's about it. Tony Kukoc, Vlade Divac and Arvydas Sabonis if u look at previous decade.
Except Splitter who's under big contract in Europe, all these guys ended up good in NBA.

Guys like Nowitzki, Diaw, Okur, Turkoglu, Darko, Tskitishvili, Sergei Monia, Luis Scola, Z, Andres Nocioni - those are more risky types, they were either drafted on potential out of minor Euro leagues, or became good in Europe at an older age.

We must give Gallo full fan support and time to really show who he can be. He may be a bust, but history says he probably will be a worthy No.6 pick.

Last edited: