FORGET Paul & Howard !!! Build a winner now.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Miami made it to the Finals with a bunch of vet minimum players.

And you didn't think we'd get Melo a year ago right?

No. I knew we'd get Melo. I didn't WANT to trade for him. I KNEW it would take a lot to get Melo and I KNEW we wouldn't have the cap space or assets to get a 3rd max and still build a solid team. I was right on both accounts.

Miami didn't make it to the Finals with the Big 3 plus only min vet guys. They signed Haslem, Joel Anthony and Mike Miller to long term contracts too. And I believe that is the point. We won't have any solid core guys to surround our Big 3.

I am curious to see how many solid min vets sign with us this year as we will be in direct competition with Miami and Chicago for these players.

Last edited:

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
No. I knew we'd get Melo. I didn't WANT to trade for him. I KNEW it would take a lot to get Melo and I KNEW we wouldn't have the cap space or assets to get a 3rd max and still build a solid team. I was right on both accounts.

Miami didn't make it to the Finals with the Big 3 plus only min vet guys. They signed Haslem, Joel Anthony and Mike Miller to long term contracts too. And I believe that is the point. We won't have any solid core guys to surround our Big 3.

I am curious to see how many solid min vets sign with us this year as we will be in direct competition with Miami and Chicago for these players.

none. any player interested in winning titles is not trying to come to NY where a good number of fans are delusional and the coaching staff is a joke. They want to go where the leaders of the team (LeBrons, Kobes and D-Roses and KG's) are committed to winning. I dont think other players in the league see that in Melo or Amare and I dont either. CP3 is a different story but he doesn't solve our biggest problem, post defense. We let anybody score at will on us and I can't take it anymore. Nobody wants to be apart of that. It's embarrassing.

smokes

Huge Member
none. any player interested in winning titles is not trying to come to NY where a good number of fans are delusional and the coaching staff is a joke. They want to go where the leaders of the team (LeBrons, Kobes and D-Roses and KG's) are committed to winning. I dont think other players in the league see that in Melo or Amare and I dont either. CP3 is a different story but he doesn't solve our biggest problem, post defense. We let anybody score at will on us and I can't take it anymore. Nobody wants to be apart of that. It's embarrassing.

Not sure about that. But you're right in the sense we are not the go-to team right now. People are looking at the other teams to see what moves they make before they look at us.

I kinda doubt many more bigs will go to Miami. They already have Joel Anthony, Haslem, Ilgauskas... Potentially Juwan Howard and Dampier will re-sign if they haven't retired yet.

Chicago has a situation right now where they have to acquire some kind of scoring talent or they are not really going to compete. They are a one man team right now. If they sign Jamal Crawford like they are trying to or any other 20ppg 2/3 then the vets might look there. I think that's what Kurt Thomas is waiting for, some kind of improvement before he commits.

I'd love to get Kurt Thomas here. Veteran big who can still give you 15-20 per game plus locker room experience plus defensive mindset. Just the kinda guy we need to mentor our younger bigs.

We just have to pray we get a decent big man and that Jorts/Jordan can develop into 10+ mpg 1 block 4 rebounds per game players and not blow layups like Jared Jefferies (who I hear we are going to re-sign).

Jeff Foster would be a good target with our MLE but I hear Miami may look at him too. That will just come down to money vs aspirations.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I'd love to get Kurt Thomas here. Veteran big who can still give you 15-20 per game plus locker room experience plus defensive mindset. Just the kinda guy we need to mentor our younger bigs.

We just have to pray we get a decent big man and that Jorts/Jordan can develop into 10+ mpg 1 block 4 rebounds per game players and not blow layups like Jared Jefferies (who I hear we are going to re-sign).

Jeff Foster would be a good target with our MLE but I hear Miami may look at him too. That will just come down to money vs aspirations.

Kurt Thomas is 39 years old B.....before last year, he didn't average over 20 mpg since 2007 and he only played 59 games for Chicago as well.....he would be cheap and he'll play his tail off but that's not where I wanna go....

I think this is another scrap season, they dont have the cap to get anyone they want or the pieces to sign-n-trade either.....I just wish Melo would be a better ball handler for this team and then we wouldn't feel obligated to keep Billups.....

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Smokes this deal could easily get done:

Billups expiring
Fields
Douglas
Turiaf

.. and I think a deal gets done. Throw in a pick and cash if needed.

Just get him here. :gony:

Considering the non-impact trade offers that have surfaced thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if we stood a decent chance with that offer.

Clippers excluding Gordon, Warriors only offering 3 players and a pick. WTF is going on? Clearly teams are offering less to test the resolve/determination of other teams, but seriously!

We gave so much for Melo, and now the CP3 deals seem so........stingy!

EDIT: as far as GSW go, they are offering the best player in Curry. We can't match that kind of leverage, but at this stage, as I say, our offer wouldn't look so unattractive. Guarantee Shump will be demanded, though. But for Chris Paul, you'd have to be an emotional mess to complain.

mafra

Legend
First of all, to all of you who honestly believe Chris Paul is going to turn down 20-30 million dollars to come play here in NYC... Well, I got a bridge to sell you. Remember, Carmelo said himself he would have eventually relented & accepted a trade to the Nets (had the Knicks opted not to trade for him).

I guess our 'best case scenario' is for a team to rent Paul. Dealing something to NO for his services this year, knowing he isn't signing an extension. This would mean we're still in the running. But, remember, Paul needs to sign extension with team by Jan 1st to get his Bird Rights.

I'll believe it when I see it folks. If CLIPPERS trade for Paul. Especially w/out surrendering Eric Gordon... LAC could boast a backcourt of Paul-Gordon, with Blake as their PF, and plenty of cap space to chase free agents this year & next. They could challenge CP3 to help LAC steal the arena/town from the aging Lakers. Would he accept that challenge? Turn that down (and about 20-30 mil) just so he can play w/ us? Carmelo wouldn't.

What pisses me off... Is that the NBA is involved in this deal. How can this be fair? The NBA didn't prevent McHale or West from helping out their old teams, but now that the Knicks have an insider in NO (Demps), we get no special treatment? It figures.

The good news is this should be resolved quickly. We should know soon where Paul goes, and if he signs extension.

BUT... make no mistake... There's NO WAY Paul is coming to NYK. I'll go even as far as this: DAVID STERN, who I cannot stand, told the hardliners during the lockout... that he was going to deal Paul to a small market team!

The impetus behind the lockout was b/c owners wanted to prevent players, and their agents, from dictated to owners where they're going to play. Small market owners were irate that stars wanted only the big market stage.

So why would Stern, coming out of the lockout, allow Paul to go to NY, getting everything he demands. This is test case #1.

Stern will deliver Paul to a small market and play chicken. He'll call his bluff. The only way Paul gets to NY is if he accepts less moeny. Signiifcantly less money. Simple as that.

Knowing David Stern, I have ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT this is his tact. I betcha this was even stated as the owners were talking over drinks.

NOW, I think the Knicks will wait b/c they know they might still get Paul. And, even if Paul signs the extension... They still have a shot at Howard or Deron. They might even fell like Nash is fine to settle on.

I just feel like Knicks have limited options come next year for BIG MEN.

Sure, as a fallback, they could recruit Nash & Camby. BUt, other than Camby, the only centers available in 2012 are restricted free agents (Kevin Love, Marreese Speights, Javal Mcgee, Jason Thompson, JJ Hickson & Roy Hibbert).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

I guess the list is good enough that we can spend big to steal one of those RFA bigs. Mcgee or Thompson. Add an OJ Mayo & Steve Nash.

Not too shabby. In other words, after looking at next year's free agency... It's probably worth the move to hold our cap space for ONE MORE season.

As long as there's a slight chance... Might as well try. Hold and hope for Deron or Paul. Knowing we could settle for Nash. Plus there are pretty good options to bet on next year too. They come with risk, but not like we have enough this year to entice Nene, or steal Gasol anyway.

I would love Hayes though. He is a tough big who can guard the center position. I'll take post defense, even if he's smaller... b/c we lack that right now. I want to keep Amar'e far away from guarding centers.

THIS IS WHY I SAY FORGET PAUL... Knicks should target Howard right now. I would offer them Amar'e. If we could put Howard-Carmelo together, then sign a Paul, Deron or Nash next summer... Now we're talking. Then we'll get vets and mid-level people signing on to win rings.

smokes

Huge Member
Crazy⑧s;187736 said:
Considering the non-impact trade offers that have surfaced thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if we stood a decent chance with that offer.

Clippers excluding Gordon, Warriors only offering 3 players and a pick. WTF is going on? Clearly teams are offering less to test the resolve/determination of other teams, but seriously!

We gave so much for Melo, and now the CP3 deals seem so........stingy!

EDIT: as far as GSW go, they are offering the best player in Curry. We can't match that kind of leverage, but at this stage, as I say, our offer wouldn't look so unattractive. Guarantee Shump will be demanded, though. But for Chris Paul, you'd have to be an emotional mess to complain.

I'm not sure how our offer even looks close to attractive. NO does not need a PG, Billups does not fit their team in the slightest. They have Jarrett Jack who can start at PG. So they really don't need a 34 year old rental PG. Getting a future franchise player in Curry or a beast 7 footer in DeAndre is so so so much more than we are able to offer.

I can only see one destination for Paul and that is GSW. They have the cap room to sign Tyson Chandler and a perfect roster to slot in a superstar PG and championship C.

The Clippers is a bit of a silly trade unless they are willing to take back Okafor (which they aren't) because then NO would be left with a massive contract C and a young C who needs minutes to continue developing, and no more serious trade assetts to ship him out with. Unless they plan on using the amnesty on Okafor it makes little sense for them to trade with the Clips.

Whatever, this whole CP3 thing is getting ridiculous now. I guarantee there is no way on earth we are landing CP3 and if we do you can rub it in my face for the rest of the season.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Correct

Mafra you are absolutely correct. Paul IS NOT coming here.

We either build around Melo and Stat or trade one of them to try and get Paul or Dwight Howard. (most likely is not happening)

Paul1355

All Star
We should not be worried if Paul or Howard don't come here

Look, since Dikembo Mutombo left we haven't had a center to be proud of for his defense.

We just need a center that can do his job and stay healthy, once we see this, you will see how easier it is for players like Amare.

A big man makes it so much easier to win games, I hope A 3-headed center of Turiaf-Jorts-Jordan is good enough for one year.

If not then we can just use the cap room for a center and some other pieces. We might be better off building around Melo and Amare with guys that compliment them. If we can maybe sign a PG with good handling and court vision, deadly outside shooter, and solid big man, then i can say we are championship contender...without CP3 or Howard. Plus we'd have the bench players.