Gallo is STILL the key.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo

Other than pick and rolls down the middle, D'Antoni's system does not include pick plays. Because Gallo is not quick, he could use picks along the perimeter. But I am not aware of any such plays.

D'Antoni's system is best suited for the athletic quick players. Gallo is not one of them. He should be moving constantly a la Rip Hamilton, but that is not what the coach asks him to do.

I think Gallo does what he is told. And right now he is not doing it well.

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
What is that? Chuck up a shot with a hand in your face no matter where you are in the court? Or taking the ball all the way up the court after getting a rebound and shooting a 3 at the other end?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Other than pick and rolls down the middle, D'Antoni's system does not include pick plays. Because Gallo is not quick, he could use picks along the perimeter. But I am not aware of any such plays.

D'Antoni's system is best suited for the athletic quick players. Gallo is not one of them. He should be moving constantly a la Rip Hamilton, but that is not what the coach asks him to do.

I think Gallo does what he is told. And right now he is not doing it well.

I think a lot of Gallos lack of progress has to be blamed on the coach. Oldtimer makes an excellent point that Gallo is merely doing what his coach is asking and that is camping out and shooting threes. I can't help but wonder how this Knicks team might of looked had it hired Avery Johnson, who is accredited with taking a defenseless uptempo Dallas Team and taking them to the Finals with gritty defense and a controlled offense. While D'Antoni's system may be entertaining during the regular season, the more I have seen it the more it exposes its weaknesses to me as it tends to mold players into what it needs and often limits the potential for player growth. Gallo is a prime example of the failure of this coaching technique as he has basically become a three point shooter and nothing more. This scheme while potent is certainly predictable and is by no means adaptable. Either your getting transition baskets and knocking down jumpers off the pick n' roll or your struggling because teams stop the pick n' roll and your missing jumpers and not getting rebounds and inside scoring (see low post scoring.)

iSaYughh

Starter
Newsflash: if MD wanted Gallo to drive. He'd drive. If he wanted less 3's, he'd take less threes.

Answer? He'd BENCH him if he had a prob with how he is going about his game.

Anyways, of course Gallo is our key. A 6'10 sf with range and a legit shot. 22yr old 1st season player who went 15ppg, showed D, some killer instinct time to time, and had baller dominating games towards the end of the season.

He has confidence, too, so i don't think his issue is that to date.

A few games last yr he'd been like 0-6/0-4, 4 pts through one, even 2 quarters.

And he'd keep his head up, do his thing, and finish with like an efficient 20+ pts while truly rescuing and carrying the game on his back to the very end.

At this pt, IMHO, MD wants Gallo to just find his shot. Its not just a key to his game, but the biggest threat he can bring to the entire team offense.

Gallo started season slow, bricking w lot, and so MD is riding some games out with a proven sniper and shooter...versus:

Panicking.

Just a theory. We will see if/when Gallo begins to shoot as he has and can, whether he then begins confidently setting aside his shot more and more and integrating more and more slashing and shit.

Paul1355

All Star
haha, he's not focused, he didn't work on his game, he has weak moblility, he stayed in Italy over the summer (probably acting like a big shot). He wrote a book and he hasn't even lived a life yet, LOL. I can only picture young school girls buying that book, who else would?

Gallo's Godfather haves him thinking he's a mademan, he walks around acting like he's a Don. He's a Don-key....and that's the only key comparison he deserves.

lol Gallo reminds me of the Mob boss's son who was suppose to have high hopes...the Frado Corleone....but Landry Fields comes in (Michael Corleone) the smarter but younger guy coming in and it looks like he brings more to the table! haha

nyk_nyk

All Star
The only reason he's given all these chances is because he was a 6 pick. He just isn't good in the NBA right now. Not all players can successfully make the transition. I'm very objective, and not a hater; Gallo either just isn't good, lacks the confidence, or the coaching. In my opinion, it's the coaching i really do think D'Antoni is not a good coach, he just expect people to get creative on offense. Not everyone grew up playing street ball so this style will not work for every player. Some require structure and discipline in coaching....

HOw many frickin games will we watch gallinari just sit at the 3 pt line...teams don't even guard him at this point.

+1
Exactly!!!

nyk_nyk

All Star
Newsflash: if MD wanted Gallo to drive. He'd drive. If he wanted less 3's, he'd take less threes.

Answer? He'd BENCH him if he had a prob with how he is going about his game.

Anyways, of course Gallo is our key. A 6'10 sf with range and a legit shot. 22yr old 1st season player who went 15ppg, showed D, some killer instinct time to time, and had baller dominating games towards the end of the season.

He has confidence, too, so i don't think his issue is that to date.

A few games last yr he'd been like 0-6/0-4, 4 pts through one, even 2 quarters.

And he'd keep his head up, do his thing, and finish with like an efficient 20+ pts while truly rescuing and carrying the game on his back to the very end.

At this pt, IMHO, MD wants Gallo to just find his shot. Its not just a key to his game, but the biggest threat he can bring to the entire team offense.

Gallo started season slow, bricking w lot, and so MD is riding some games out with a proven sniper and shooter...versus:

Panicking.

Just a theory. We will see if/when Gallo begins to shoot as he has and can, whether he then begins confidently setting aside his shot more and more and integrating more and more slashing and shit.

That won't be the case now that we have a better TEAM. If he sucks in the first half, he won't have that many opportunities to redeem himself with the amount of talent we have now.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
We get a 5 for 21 performance out of Amare. Little from Chandler and we win.

Gallo opened up the flood gates w his dynamic play. He set the tone and our other players were able to relax.

On this team relaxed players = a 3pt barrage apparently.

Gallo's good shooting allows the floor to be spaced properly. Then our players can work the ball in the half court and find a good shot. Tnite we found a lot.

Gallo needs to continue to utilize his spectacular shooting to open up his game and help his teammates.

He did w great effect tnite. Thank God!! Go Knicks!

We get a 5 for 21 performance out of Amare. Little from Chandler and we win.

Gallo opened up the flood gates w his dynamic play. He set the tone and our other players were able to relax.

On this team relaxed players = a 3pt barrage apparently.

Gallo's good shooting allows the floor to be spaced properly. Then our players can work the ball in the half court and find a good shot. Tnite we found a lot.

Gallo needs to continue to utilize his spectacular shooting to open up his game and help his teammates.

He did w great effect tnite. Thank God!! Go Knicks!

This is true but what I like from Gallo was as soon as he saw his shot was falilng he started attacking the rim to keep the defense modest and looking for cutters while driving.

I said it before I'll say it again no need for melo this season we need to grow.

Kiyaman

Legend
The only reason he's given all these chances is because he was a 6 pick. He just isn't good in the NBA right now. Not all players can successfully make the transition. I'm very objective, and not a hater; Gallo either just isn't good, lacks the confidence, or the coaching. In my opinion, it's the coaching i really do think D'Antoni is not a good coach, he just expect people to get creative on offense. Not everyone grew up playing street ball so this style will not work for every player. Some require structure and discipline in coaching....

HOw many frickin games will we watch gallinari just sit at the 3 pt line...teams don't even guard him at this point.

:agreed:

As a player/coach/ref/and a fan of the NBA for 40 years, I thought 3-ball
shooting was preserved for the 2nd half of the game. Especially in close
crunchtime games. Kover 18 points on 3-ball shooting in the 2nd half almost
got the Bulls back in the game.

This Knick win is a win, but a very poor win off of the high percentage of
3-ball shooting (67%). Our inside scoring was considered "what inside scoring?".
Our team playbook plan turned out to be shooting 3-balls at the start of
tip-off untill the last 2 minutes of the game. Our strategic plan to shoot 3-balls
is not a well form strategy that will keep us a .500 record team (2-2).
A win is a WIN!
applause.gif

Lets Go Knicks
:gony:

iSaYughh

Starter
Why would 3ball --just-- be reserved for then?

Its one of the most potent shots/scoring modes in the game. Perimeter 3s is --the-- most effecfive and productive shot in the game.

The question is if you have people who can shoot it. We do.

And Gallo nor Douglas is Korver. This is why Gallo and Douglas didn't just camp out like Korver. They drove, dished, shot, rebounded, and played D.

Lack of poor inside game? Ya, STAT played like shit and had his worst game of the year, top to bottom. And we still were able to win.

We won in good part because Gallo was able to take over. As we have many times.

We only play him bc he was a 6? Ya, no ****ing shit. He was a 6 bc of talent and the ability to be an extremely effectively player. And he displays.

Nyknyk is right that we now have better players and Gallo might not has to single handedly save games as he has. He will still do games like that last as ah integral cog to compliment STAT inside dominance when needed, or when STAT is off.

This may come as a shock. But A 22yr old dynamic scorer with size with 1 quality season under his belt doesn't get benched or doghoused like a 30yr old journeymen 1trickpony 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
A very poor win? Wow. The smmfh posts that keep on giving. :alert:

We beat a rising playoff RIVAL team in CHI, on the road, when our superstar tanks it, and still win because the rest of our team put it on...including young struggling Key Player in Gallo.

It sucks that your raving hate and zealous blindness to Gallo and our coach will progressively keep getting proved wrong in the courtroom of reality, but try to deal with it by the time D'ant leads our team into the playoffs. :afro:

Kiyaman

Legend

We beat a rising playoff RIVAL team in CHI, on the road, when our superstar tanks it, and still win because the rest of our team put it on...including young struggling Key Player in Gallo.

It sucks that your raving hate and zealous blindness to Gallo and our coach will progressively keep getting proved wrong in the courtroom of reality, but try to deal with it by the time D'ant leads our team into the playoffs. :afro:

This game reminds me of several 3-ball shooting games we won in the
2008-9 season using a 6-man rotation. WOW! we are a 32 win team
again with Damnphony.
Get a grip. Damnphony dont know how and when to use Gallo, and
neither do u. Gallo and Randolph are young project players that need
NBA development off the bench. The two players have different talents
that can help the Knicks win games when the head coach start playing
the two to their best talents.
Gallo and Randolph talents and skills do not measure up to the awareness
of rookie Landry Fields b-ball IQ.

jimkcchief88

All Star

If I can be allowed to speak for Kiya, its wasn't a poor win, but you can't expect to shoot 70% from 3 every night. I think it was a great win last night, but you can't get too excited about it. First of all Boozer wasn't playing, secondly the Bullies called off the dogs. All they talked about this am on Chicago radio was about how Thibideaux used the 4th last night as a "teaching tool." Its interesting how when Wilson got off to a great start everyone says "aw he'll come back down to earth." The Cock has one good half and its HOF time. Let's see how the Cock does in his next game as any Knick fan knows how inconsistent the Cock has been.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Staying away from "downtown."

If I can be allowed to speak for Kiya, its wasn't a poor win, but you can't expect to shoot 70% from 3 every night. I think it was a great win last night, but you can't get too excited about it. First of all Boozer wasn't playing, secondly the Bullies called off the dogs. All they talked about this am on Chicago radio was about how Thibideaux used the 4th last night as a "teaching tool." Its interesting how when Wilson got off to a great start everyone says "aw he'll come back down to earth." The Cock has one good half and its HOF time. Let's see how the Cock does in his next game as any Knick fan knows how inconsistent the Cock has been.

If I may I would like to add to what Kiya and Chief said.

Just as we had reason to be positive when we were 1-2 its important to not be results oriented when analyzing our team. While we are at 3-2 and Gallo has begun to play well, I am also troubled by our dependence on the 3-ball to win us games. I am happy that this team is starting to come together but I try and take everything with a grain of salt. We beat last year's Chicago team (no Boozer) and we beat a crappy Wizards squad.

While I enjoy our outside shooting there is no question that to say the the three point shot is the most effective shot is a little ridiculous. While it can be productive it is also offers the most variables. If your not hitting you open yourself up to long rebounds and run outs and fast break opportunities, you let the defense off the hook sorta speak and will not be getting to the line or getting many offensive rebounds because of the long rebounds. Therefore the teams who get the most inside scoring and are least DEPENDENT on the 3 will tend to be the most consistent.

Consistency = wins for as long as I have been watching basketball the team that dominates inside and controls the tempo of the game wins, chucking up threes and hoping you win a coin flip is not part of the equation. And that my friends is how Gallo can go from being our worst player to our saving grace in a matter of 2 games.

While I still am optimistic about the Knicks our blistering 3-point shooting will come down to earth and if we do not focus on inside outside we will lose as many games as we win from outside. "Live by the three die by the three."

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Is the three ball not a major staple of the ssol??

I mean, at some point we're gonna have to accept that w D'antoni that's how we're gonna play to win. I'm not surprised at all when I see our players jacking threes.

This is how we play. Those phoenix teams coached by D'antoni routinely won 50 or more games playing this style. It's highly effective when you have guys that can hit 3s and remain confident during their respective lulls.

If we continue to play Dfense the way we have, then we'll stay in games during the times we're not shooting well. Then when we start to see those shots go down combined w the solid D, we go on a run.

I'm okay w this offensive style.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
There's nothing wrong with shooting 3's as long as you can make a reasonable number of them in. That's one thing that Walsh did this summer that really improved the team - EVERY single one of our new acquisitions has the ability to hit the 3-ball (except for Mozgov and Amar'e). Chandler, Gallo, Felton, Fields, Rautins, Douglas, Mason Jr., all of these players can shoot the 3 and it makes our offense rather deadly because unlike the Bulls there isn't a single player on our team that's responsible for hitting the 3 - EVERY one of them can do it!

Certaintly Gallo is crucial once he gets his rythym and sync going. We need Gallo to be effective down the stretch. Its great that wiill the Thrill is also contributing vitally ( the amazing reverse was just plain sick.) but Gallo is also is vital to our success. Other than his 3 point range beyond the arch, it s important for Gallo to incorporate other areas of the game like driving to the rack more, instead of just setttling for jumpshots. I thhink he relies too much on settling for jumpshots. Gallo should also take advantage of his unique height because thats one area where he could greatly use for certain mismatches. He should also rebound the ball more and develop a gretaer post game for his speical height specimen once Gallo drains thise jumpshots and 3` sbeyond the arch, theni think that creates more space and double team. Gallo also should develop his post game, because once ge greatly develops that aspect then that would really be a huge plus for him and for our team to be more successful. Gallo is important for us to produce more wins. :peace:

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Why would 3ball --just-- be reserved for then?

Its one of the most potent shots/scoring modes in the game. Perimeter 3s is --the-- most effecfive and productive shot in the game.

The question is if you have people who can shoot it. We do.

And Gallo nor Douglas is Korver. This is why Gallo and Douglas didn't just camp out like Korver. They drove, dished, shot, rebounded, and played D.

So potent and effective it cost us the game against a 1-5 Sixers. Bombs away!

This is the point Chief, Kiya and I were trying to make. We made 50% of our threes going into the game and shot 16% for the game. The three pointer is a trap kids. As I said before Consistency = Wins.